• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

..."Fans Protests" Facebook page...REALLY?

Ether0

Nephilim Lover
Even with how limited DMC3 was in terms of choosing weapons, you still could do a lot in terms of creativity.

I consider DmC to be incredibly inferior to DMC4 not because the amount of moves. But with what you can do with them.
Every move I see in DMC4 seems to have a use for it. Even mustang, a move that I didn't think would be useful at all, actually has some combo usages. As well as this, new techniques were discovered in DMC4 that evolved gameplay and expanded it immensely.

Examples: Star Rave, Guard Cancelling, Sky Running/Flying Guard, Lucifer Guard Cancelling, Reversed Attacks.

I don't think that DmC will have much going for it mainly because I see there are weapons that aren't that useful within the game when it comes to combos, especially when looking stylish. (mainly Eryx and Arbiter. Possibly Kablooey). I only see serious potential in Aquila (mainly Calibur usages and Round Trip), Revenant, Rebellion, and a bit of Osiris. E&I is serving it's purpose for cancelling some attacks as well.

I also don't see much going for DmC in terms of technical gameplay though either. Maybe combo creativity. But I feel DmC will hit a certain point where combo potential will stop while DMC4 is still going strong in terms of creativity with Dante. Even Nero has a lot of potential of what combos he can do.

(Hate to use one of my videos as an example but it's the most recent that I can find)

If new mechanics are found within DmC, then there might be a chance that the game could redeem itself. Seeing what people discovered in the demo though, I'm kinda skeptical if much will be discovered in the actual game. So far, the new mechanics that I know of are E&I cancelling, Charged Shot Cancelling, and Charge Shot Stocking. That's about it. And these are with 5 weapons, which is more than half of what the demo gave us.

Again, styles don't limit your abilities. If anything, they add A BUNCH of options in terms of what you can do with them. DMC4 has proved that Dante's advanced combat needed no changes at all because of how vast his moveset is as well as his advanced techniques.

And to me, I find the weapon switching system kinda convoluted. Sure you can switch through weapons on the D-Pad but it's just as taxing (if not more than) switching through DMC4's style system.
Your right in my opinion DmC simply does not have as much going for it in terms of combo creativity as DMC3 or DMC4. Compared to pretty much every other action game on the market however, it's pretty much head and shoulders above the rest by a mile, Bayonetta being the only thing close.

But I can forgive this just a bit because, while this is a part of the series, it is also sort of a new brush stroke in the DMC family. It took Capcom quite a while to get to DMC3 and 4's level of combo godhood. For the first strike in this new game I think it does a fairly excellent job in the combo category. I would say wait until it gets a sequel, well if it gets one because frankly most reboots or new IP's in the gaming world dont reach their stride until the second or third game.

nightrunner_ks

You are not in control
I disagree, DmC has a lot going for it in terms of combo creativity. All 8 weapons are at your fingertips. But no one has really tapped into that potential. You're still going to be pressing the D-Pad like in DMC4.

But the fighting game influenced mechancics are still present in DmC. Juggles, OTG bounces, hard knockdowns, they're all there.

Ether0

Nephilim Lover
I disagree, DmC has a lot going for it in terms of combo creativity. All 8 weapons are at your fingertips. But no one has really tapped into that potential. You're still going to be pressing the D-Pad like in DMC4.

But the fighting game influenced mechancics are still present in DmC. Juggles, OTG bounces, hard knockdowns, they're all there.
Yeah it does have a lot going for it but DMC4 Dante was a lot more versatile than this one and some fans just dont want to step back or bother with the new Dante and from a gameplay standpoint that's perfectly okay imo. I do however think a great game needs more than just deep, technical combat engine and I think this new DmC has a lot going for it and it also has a lot of things that the old series lacked in terms of overall design that I think me and plenty of other fans forgave because the combat was so great.

Soupie

DMC4 has deep combat, but let's not all forget how inaccessible it was to the average newcomer. My first time with the game had me thinking the Exceed was useless since I had no clue how to apply it in practical terms. Enemy step, tablehopper and Nero's DT moves were also lost on me.

Picking up Dante, I felt like rage quitting due to the fact that there was a huge difficulty spike for a character I barely knew. Switching styles on the fly was thrown right in my face rather than introduced. Royal guard was a pain, gunslinger useless, and trickster irrelevant when I could just jump/roll to dodge. Of course, a long time has passed since then and I've actually gotten decent enough to barely finish as Dante in Bloody Palace, thanks to over 100 hours of game time.

When I played the DmC demo, learning to play was much easier than how it was with DMC4. After getting to know the controls, I was able to pull off nasty combos without having to practice and adhere to muscle memory. The demo was fun.

That's not to say that DMC4 is worse. Practicing and being able to pull off moves that others wouldn't be able to without the same amount of discipline feels good. I have never JCed in my life in DMC4, but I am able to use all of Dante's styles and weapons freely now. Nero's Max-Act comes out consistently for me too. I've gotten good at the game to the point that Son of Sparda is a piece of cake. I was actually surprised that I died on Son of Sparda in the DmC demo, forgetting that I was playing a totally new game with new controls.

lorddemolatron

I think im sort of dimensional traveller lol
Premium
Totally same with me. When I tried on defend on YT DmC I had vulgar comments. I think that haters are imature for even Internet and those people should have terminated connection to it as they prove that they cant properly behave in presence of other people on net.

Mystiq Doom

I remember saying this to someone during a conversation about this game. DMC4 Dante is easily the most loaded up action game character of all time, in terms of tools. But he felt cumbersome and kind of tedious. Too much thrown at you at one time. It simply required too much....effort to utilize everything and have fun. I feel like DmC has found the sweet spot in terms of gameplay were Dante doesn't have too much overhead to manage at once, but softly glides you into deeper strategies.

Most likely people who aren't good at actions games are going to mostly spam Hacker. But then the more they play, the more they feel comfortable sprinkling more variety in, and the control scheme encourages this.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
I agree with that. Dante was totally loaded, but yeah, it was just sorta thrown at you, and then you had too little time to adjust to him. By the time you got the hang of it, you were back to Nero in the finale, and it sorta threw you outta whack again. Sure, there's Bloody Palace and subsequent difficulties, but that's replayability - on your first playthrough, it's a lot to try to handle :/ Still fun as hell, but I think DmC struck a sort of balance between DMC3 and 4 in terms of the utilities you have and how the game eases you into them.

ViewtifulStyle

Stylish and Viewtiful
Honestly, I think this Dante is more versatile than DMC3 Dante...Just not DMC4 Dante. But really, who in the whole GENRE is as versatile as DMC4 Dante? Bayonetta is his only rival, even remotely.
If you honestly think this you haven't played enough DMC3.

DMC3 is a very versatile game. In fact, 4 has LESS options overall than 3. Crazy combos, a lot of each styles powers, and less overall weapons. The style switching on the fly just gives you the feeling of more options.

ZeroLove

Yeah, DMC3 is the MOST versatile of all the games, DmC included. DmC is a close second though, just not with enough weapons to choose from, imo. DMC4 was alright when it comes to versatility, but considering how little you could play with Dante throughout the game, it just doesn't qualify as enough.

8BitHero

Scrub
As I said before, it feels clunky but isn't. It's a new system that has different types of inputs that DMC pros would feel is a step back. It's not a flaw with the game but how they designed the combat. That being said I still don't think the buffer is that great. You only have a certain amount of room(frames) to input your buffer without it interrupting an attack when really, you should be able to buffer whenever you want.
As I said before also, he feels like Nero. Nero was far from as skilled or graceful as Dante. Both newDante and Nero swing their swords wildly and use grapple devices. It may not fit Dante from DMC4 but it fits Nero more from DMC4. Not to mention newDante is a combination of Nero and Attack. Having Dantes name and attacks like "x"stabs or Nero with his grapple and high roller. The system takes time to get used to and isn't bad, but it definitely could've been improved upon slightly. I get why certain people says it feels clunky. But it's the learning process and having to used to a new combat system like SF3 to SF4.

Ryuuou

The King Of Chinese Dragons
Premium
Supporter 2014
Well, you know how people are: afraid of change, hating things just because it doesn't live up to their standards, etc.

Wise words Downfall!

So right you are. People crying about Final Fantasy 13 for example because it does not meet the standard of ff7,8,9,10 and their love stories. Personally my favorite final fantasy game is the fabula nova crystallis series. Old concept gone but really good graphics and new ideas instead. The characters development thanks to Nomura's skilled design and SquareEnix
sense for any entertaining apart from the regular, makes it as good as ever. This quote, I will never forget ^_^. Snow Villiers: ''Hang on baby your hero's on the way''

I rate it 10 of 10.

Changes are good. Variations is needed for a turn in this world I think.

ZeroLove

As I said before, it feels clunky but isn't. It's a new system that has different types of inputs that DMC pros would feel is a step back. It's not a flaw with the game but how they designed the combat. That being said I still don't think the buffer is that great. You only have a certain amount of room(frames) to input your buffer without it interrupting an attack when really, you should be able to buffer whenever you want.
As I said before also, he feels like Nero. Nero was far from as skilled or graceful as Dante. Both newDante and Nero swing their swords wildly and use grapple devices. It may not fit Dante from DMC4 but it fits Nero more from DMC4. Not to mention newDante is a combination of Nero and Attack. Having Dantes name and attacks like "x"stabs or Nero with his grapple and high roller. The system takes time to get used to and isn't bad, but it definitely could've been improved upon slightly. I get why certain people says it feels clunky. But it's the learning process and having to used to a new combat system like SF3 to SF4.

And hopefully they will upgrade the combat system for DmC2. ^^

8BitHero

Scrub
And hopefully they will upgrade the combat system for DmC2. ^^
Yeah indeed. I see potential in DmC but DMC4 was just...I dunno, amazing! So insane, fun stylish etc. You can with this game but with no styles and moves you don't has any many "toys" to play with.

Mystiq Doom

If you honestly think this you haven't played enough DMC3.

DMC3 is a very versatile game. In fact, 4 has LESS options overall than 3. Crazy combos, a lot of each styles powers, and less overall weapons. The style switching on the fly just gives you the feeling of more options.

This is not true, really in any context, but certainly not in the context I'm talking about. When I talk about versatility, I mean what's readily available to you at any one time. In DMC3, Dante is locked into a style before you manually switch via the menu screen. At any given time he has 4 total weapons at his disposal, but only has extra moves for two of those in one of the styles that gives his weapons extra moves. So, in swordmaster you can't rock fireworks or charge shot. etc. and in gunslinger you can't do overdrive or dance macabre.

What's available to your for any one combo in DMC3 is limited compared to 4 or the reboot.

Mister Z

Changes avatars like they were t-shirts
This is not true, really in any context, but certainly not in the context I'm talking about. When I talk about versatility, I mean what's readily available to you at any one time. In DMC3, Dante is locked into a style before you manually switch via the menu screen. At any given time he has 4 total weapons at his disposal, but only has extra moves for two of those in one of the styles that gives his weapons extra moves. So, in swordmaster you can't rock fireworks or charge shot. etc. and in gunslinger you can't do overdrive or dance macabre.

What's available to your for any one combo in DMC3 is limited compared to 4 or the reboot.

3 and 4 offer variety in different kinds, both good, it's just a matter of prefference.

Metaphorically speaking:

DMC3 has a wide variety of clothing of all kinds and colors, but you can only wear two of them at the same time. Need to take off one to put on another one.

DMC4 lets you wear all of their clothes altogether at anytime, but they have all less and it's all they have.

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
...~is kind'a disappointed that this thread turned into the exact thing he posted about trying to bring to everyone's attention as a BAD thing for the fandom.~ Why does it always devolve into another fight over "game will be good!/Game sucks!" with this?

Domenic93

Do they mean this scene?
tumblr_mfyp69uiF51ryfipvo1_500.png

They can't protest now because the games almost here.
vergil's copping a feel

Top Bottom