• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What Devil May Cry should've been under Hideki Kamiya's direction

MigsRZXAStylish

In a place where no one follows me. i Walk Alone!
I found out recently that the Devil May Cry series we all see today is not what Hideki Kamiya had in mind. No wonder he was all "so-so" when it comes to responding to tweets which has something to do with the DMCs not made by him...

DMCGamer1989 and I learned something off-topic in his thread "What happened to us?" when I told him of Kamiya's true intentions for DMC as a profile comment for him.

So here is what we've learned:

The main factor is the parallelisms between the original DMC AKA DMC1 and the Castlevania series, asides from the fact DMC1 took place mostly in a castle. Sparda and Mundus were once friends/allies just like with Leon Belmont and Mathias Cronqvist (close friends who joined a military; Leon was a noble baron with excellent fighting prowess while Mathias was once a brilliant strategist. Those who once played Castlevanina: Lament of Innocence in the PS2 like me already knew the story).
Unlike Leon and Mathias, Sparda betrayed Mundus because he took pity on mankind for their hardships.

Why we say this? Because Hideki Kamiya himself was a big fan of Castlevania. He would've used the concept of the Belmont Clan. If he envisioned DMC like Castlevania, then Mundus would've been the primary antagonist of almost (if not all games and other media) the entire series.

There is also a strong emphasis on the Sparda Bloodline. a half breed that identifies with his mother's compassion like Alucard and the resolve to dedicate your bloodline for the sake of mankind. This is what Dante felt too as he is parallel to Alucard in that sense. (Most words taken from DMCGamer1989)

And then Alucard telling Dracula that he was doomed ever since he lost the ability to love mirrors Dante's views on why humans can hold sown against demons despite the overwhelming odds. (Words from DMCGamer1989 again)
This probably caused Sparda to turn his back from Mundus, fought him and imprisoned him for two millenia. Then, Sparda learned love from humans, especially from Eva.

If that would be the case, then Sparda's bloodline would've been like the Belmont Clan who vow to take Dracula down should he rise again. It means DMC won't revolve just around Dante as protagonist. Remember what Dante said to Mundus last in DMC1?

Goodbye. Oh, and when you do come back, give my regards to my son. Would you?

So that means DMC2 would've starred his son...

I also noticed another parallelism of Castlevania: Symphony of the Night.
The upside down version of Dracula's Castle parallels to the mirror dimension of Mallet Island's castle, especially on the upside down cathedral where.the portal to the demon world awaits to be opened with the Philosopher's Stone.

Alchemy is also involved in DMC, just like in C:LoI. In LoI, there are items made through alchemy.
  • The Whip of Alchemy before it was turned into the more iconic Vampire Killer whip.
  • Ebony Stone which holds the power of Eternal Night
  • Crimson Stone which holds immortality, which actually holds a vampire's curse, turning the wielder into a vampire permanently.
In DMC:
  • The Staff of Hermes which you have to get from the abandoned ship has something to do with Alchemy.
The paintings in Mallet Island's castle at the mid-point of DMC is also parallel to the paintings in C: Portrait of Ruin.

So what Hideki Kamiya envisioned is:

The Devil May Cry series should have been the more over-the-top, stylish, and less somber version of Castlevania! It would have demons under Mundus trying to enslave humanity or kill them. Then Mundus' main hideout is still the demon world with a portal through a castle as what would have been the medium between the human and demon realms. DMC would have more mysticism and alchemy too.

And I am pretty sure it would be better than the series we see now, and even the reboot for most...!

DMCGamer1989 and I may want to add more on this...

Railazel

Let's not exclude the fact that DMC 1 was inspired by the first Blade movie as well. Dante's view on demons being evil is very similar to Blade's as well as their backgrounds having parallels such as both having lost their mothers at a young age and both being hybrids fathered by the powerhouses of their respective species. His mastery of weapons can also be compared to Blade's. I just think DMC 1 was possibly inspired by a great deal of stuff but we just never paid attention 'til now.

Gel

When the going gets tough, the tough get going
Premium

Not really, since Kamiya went on record in his twitter the quote about the son was just a joke, not something real.
In fact, in his vision of a future Dante, he was to be just like DMC2 Dante, against all beliefs. DMC2 team took all Kamiya's plans and adapted them to their game.

So waiting that DMC2 would be so much different than it is more of a wish than a fact.

DMCGamer1989

I found out recently that the Devil May Cry series we all see today is not what Hideki Kamiya had in mind. No wonder he was all "so-so" when it comes to responding to tweets which has something to do with the DMCs not made by him...

DMCGamer1989 and I learned something off-topic in his thread "What happened to us?" when I told him of Kamiya's true intentions for DMC as a profile comment for him.

So here is what we've learned:

The main factor is the parallelisms between the original DMC AKA DMC1 and the Castlevania series, asides from the fact DMC1 took place mostly in a castle. Sparda and Mundus were once friends/allies just like with Leon Belmont and Mathias Cronqvist (close friends who joined a military; Leon was a noble baron with excellent fighting prowess while Mathias was once a brilliant strategist. Those who once played Castlevanina: Lament of Innocence in the PS2 like me already knew the story).
Unlike Leon and Mathias, Sparda betrayed Mundus because he took pity on mankind for their hardships.

Why we say this? Because Hideki Kamiya himself was a big fan of Castlevania. He would've used the concept of the Belmont Clan. If he envisioned DMC like Castlevania, then Mundus would've been the primary antagonist of almost (if not all games and other media) the entire series.

There is also a strong emphasis on the Sparda Bloodline. a half breed that identifies with his mother's compassion like Alucard and the resolve to dedicate your bloodline for the sake of mankind. This is what Dante felt too as he is parallel to Alucard in that sense. (Most words taken from DMCGamer1989)

And then Alucard telling Dracula that he was doomed ever since he lost the ability to love mirrors Dante's views on why humans can hold sown against demons despite the overwhelming odds. (Words from DMCGamer1989 again)
This probably caused Sparda to turn his back from Mundus, fought him and imprisoned him for two millenia. Then, Sparda learned love from humans, especially from Eva.

If that would be the case, then Sparda's bloodline would've been like the Belmont Clan who vow to take Dracula down should he rise again. It means DMC won't revolve just around Dante as protagonist. Remember what Dante said to Mundus last in DMC1?

I also noticed another parallelism of Castlevania: Symphony of the Night.
The upside down version of Dracula's Castle parallels to the mirror dimension of Mallet Island's castle, especially on the upside down cathedral where.the portal to the demon world awaits to be opened with the Philosopher's Stone.

Alchemy is also involved in DMC, just like in C:LoI. In LoI, there are items made through alchemy.
  • The Whip of Alchemy before it was turned into the more iconic Vampire Killer whip.
  • Ebony Stone which holds the power of Eternal Night
  • Crimson Stone which holds immortality, which actually holds a vampire's curse, turning the wielder into a vampire permanently.
In DMC:

• The Staff of Hermes which you have to get from the abandoned ship has something to do with Alchemy.
The paintings in Mallet Island's castle at the mid-point of DMC is also parallel to the paintings in C: Portrait of Ruin.

So what Hideki Kamiya envisioned is:

The Devil May Cry series should have been the more over-the-top, stylish, and less somber version of Castlevania! It would have demons under Mundus trying to enslave humanity or kill them. Then Mundus' main hideout is still the demon world with a portal through a castle as what would have been the medium between the human and demon realms. DMC would have more mysticism and alchemy too.

And I am pretty sure it would be better than the series we see now, and even the reboot for most...!

DMCGamer1989 and I may want to add more on this...

Another thing worth noting is that Dante's Sparda costume was supossedly an aged Dante.

DMCGamer1989

what about spardas demon form shadow under him the monacle and the yamato then if was an aged dante?

It was supossed to depict Dante inheriting Sparda's powers. Here's concept art of how Sparda looked according to Kamiya

DMC_Graphic_Edition_Sparda.jpg

MigsRZXAStylish

In a place where no one follows me. i Walk Alone!
I could add that Sword of Sparda would've been like the "Vampire Killer" of DMC under Kamiya-san too!

what about spardas demon form shadow under him the monacle and the yamato then if was an aged dante?

If that's the case, then Dante would've been the second Sparda...!

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
what i mean is yamato was in hell with vergil and didnt reappear until dmc4 so how did he have it in dmc1 also he has his own demon form which differs to spardas i am just curious ?

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
what i mean is yamato was in hell with vergil and didnt reappear until dmc4 so how did he have it in dmc1 also he has his own demon form which differs to spardas i am just curious ?

Huh? Yamato wasn't seen in DMC1, was it? Vergil had a zweihänder. The Yamato was probably lost in the demon world, presumably at the place where Vergil lost to Mundus at the end of DMC3.

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
Mind = Blown..

If this was kamiya's vision all along then i won't be surprised at all hack'n'slash genre was inspired by many 2d sidescrolling games like castlevania and the whole game was already half resident evil.

berto

I Saw the Devil
It was supossed to depict Dante inheriting Sparda's powers. Here's concept art of how Sparda looked according to Kamiya

DMC_Graphic_Edition_Sparda.jpg

Actually this is concept of the ruler of the castle. At first he was supposed to be Spencer who had two sons, both infected with the T-Virus, which is where his powers would come from, and then, when it was a treasure hunter, he became the ruler of the castle. I don't remember an instance where they specifically said that this was the preliminary designs for Sparda.

DarkSlayerZero

DMC1 Dante>>>>>>2-4

The first novel had a Castlevania like feel. It didn't have castles but it was pretty dark and gritty.

Of Course but Capcom happened :(

Top Bottom