• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

With Dante being' half-demon & angel...

phoenix-force411

Does this weaken the character's reason in terms of defending Humanity? He has no physical connection to humans anymore in terms of blood relation. I feel like he can't really be the voice for humans anymore as to saying "Humans have a heart to love". Although this may seem quite racial, Angels and Demons can love too. I don't know if I'm voicing my concern correctly, but Dante just doesn't seem to match as the protector of Humans considering he isn't even Human unlike classic Dante.

Exejpgwmv

Does this weaken the character's reason in terms of defending Humanity? He has no physical connection to humans anymore in terms of blood relation. I feel like he can't really be the voice for humans anymore as to saying "Humans have a heart to love". Although this may seem quite racial, Angels and Demons can love too. I don't know if I'm voicing my concern correctly, but Dante just doesn't seem to match as the protector of Humans considering he isn't even Human unlike classic Dante.
You don't need to be blood related to love or to want to protect someone.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
I don't think it weakens his ability to relate to, or want to protect humanity. Heck, even Vergil wanted to protect humans in his own twisted way. But for Vergil, it was more a case of Vergil seeing humans as lesser beings, incapable of looking after themselves; and, as a greater being, Vergil saw it as his right to protect humans from themselves.

In contrast, Dante takes up the task of defending humanity because he begins to see that humans are as much a victim of demonic rule as he is. The more he spends time with Kat and sees how the rest of humanity is being treated by demons, the more he realises that he wants to care about what is happening and wants to make a change.

I don't think that the demon and angel blood in him is a barrier to him caring or wanting to protect.

EllDawn

It's like children who are adopted. They might not have any blood relation to their adoptive parents, but that doesn't mean they love them any less. Dante spent his whole life around humans, was helped by one during DmC. He built a connection that he wanted to protect. He's not human himself, but it's a human that was there for him the most. That tends to mean more than a blood link.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Not one bit. Classic stories like Tarzan the Ape Man and The Jungle Book exemplify that one's own is sometimes a distant second to those who they were raised with and by. Bonds of flesh and blood are weak compared to the bonds forged through a life together.

The common complaint when it was first announced that Dante was a nephilim (demon/angel hybrid) was that it somehow completely removed his compassion and will for protecting humanity, because he could no longer empathize with the humans. All in all, it was a very shortsighted and unimaginative complaint.

Even throughout the whole of DmC you can see how Dante begins to understand and empathize with humanity. They were an oppressed race, just as Dante was. Dante spent his entire life up to that point fighting tooth and nail against demons for his right to live, his own freedom. Humanity didn't have that luxury. As he worked with the Order, he heard of Kat's troubles, and the plights that all of humanity faced, and he understood that race meant nothing, all that matters is choice and freedom. Even other demons were persecuted (Phineas), altering Dante's perception of even who his enemy was; not demons as a whole, but Mundus and those who oppressed.

That's what DmC was about - rebellion against the established order, and the virtues of individual freedoms. This is even exactly what put Dante and Vergil at odds.

Last edited:

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Well, according to your this then Sparda would have been even worse somehow being a full fledged demon yet he's the big legendary hero that saved everyone. And no one convinced him to do it. It was just him standing up for what was right against evil.

Which was always Dante's thing. His sword is named Rebellion after his ideal to fight against oppression and he's a good guy at heart. Regardless of how Dante acts in DmC, he doesn't just not give a sh!t about anything. Up until he met Kat and Vergil he was just fighting to survive alone in a crazy world that tried to kill him every chance they got. However he really evolves in to a hero and learns how there is more out there to actually fight for and he's the one who can do it.

well dante grew up in the human world ,he does know as much as vergil how incapable they are but he feels that that incapability is what makes them worth being protected

And what of sparda?was he human?oh maybe his aunt was nephilum.

Last edited by a moderator:

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Sparda was a full demon, but he wasn't a champion of humanity in DmC like he was in the classics. In DmC, he was just an ungodly powerful demon who decided loving someone and starting a family was more important.

788Masri

I'm just some guy who really like Devil May Cry
Empathy isn't a human only asset. If anything his lack of humanity is all the better to his character. he literally has no humanity in him beyond what he creates, he has no obligation to humans nor to protect them. It's why Vergil makes such a compelling argument. Humans are weak and powerless so why should he , a nephilim, go out of his way for a race he shares nothing with?

Its that kind of moral question I really want to see answered in the sequel WHICH HAD BETTER BE SOON!

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
That's usually about the size of it. Vergil is a nephilim, potentially one of the strongest races in existence. It'd be easy for him to feel that humans are beneath him. He said it himself, they're just like babies who need taking care of.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Eh, not exactly a disease, it's just a logical way of thinking. The problem then is just that Mundus was consuming souls for power and longevity. They're just easy prey to him.

Top Bottom