• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

News and Updates (No Personal Posts)

Goldsickle

What Itsuno said is correct.

Don’t know why it’s not letting you choose stages you’ve seen but haven’t beaten yet.

First thing I did when I got my ass handed to me by a boss was go and practice fighting it in warmup mode.
It maybe a false memory thing but I totally remember dying in floor 60 and then the "Warm up" option only goes up to floor 59.

berto

I Saw the Devil
DMC board game.
https://steamforged.com/sfg-news-blog/8-4-2019-devil-may-cry-the-bloody-palace
DMC-KS-0-Square-NewsletterComp2.jpg

Erian1Mortal

Premium
Well Matt did tweet at a curious time, didn't he?
Not that it means something....

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
I mean, it couldn't have been for balance. The boss fight was working perfectly fine as it was. And what's the point of giving cancels to a non playable character?

54800724_2027711260689522_3645509096011378920_n.jpg

Goldsickle

If Vergil being playable is official, have they decided whether his Doppelganger ability is boss version-only or something players can use as well?

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium

That was my point. The "if" had no business being there in the first place, because it was already 100% sure at the time that playable Vergil was not official at all. All there was were rumors and fans' wishful thinking.

If you had said, for example, "If playable Vergil ever gets to be official", putting emphasis on the future rather than the present ("is official"), when we already knew nothing was official yet, it would have made more sense.

Goldsickle

The "if" had no business being there in the first place
Saying "if" at the start of my sentence grants me complete immunity from any accusations or implications that I am jumping to conclusions.

Discussing possibilities isn't against the board's rules, so don't command me how I should "talk like".
I am fully aware of when things may or may not come true.
Saying "if" at the beginning of my sentence should have been clear.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Saying "if" at the start of my sentence grants me complete immunity from any accusations or implications that I am jumping to conclusions.

No, that's not how conditional sentences work. Just saying "if" isn't enough. The meaning it gets and the vibe the sentence gives out depend on the tense of the verb you use both in the if clause and the main clause, and on whether or not you're projecting your scenario onto the present or the future. In this case, using the present in your if clause and the past present in your main clause gives out the vibe of you taking playable Vergil for granted. Or at least it does to someone like me who, when it comes to English grammar, has a pretty academical understanding of it, more than an informal one, because of school education.

so don't command me how I should "talk like".

I wasn't. Because it seems like that triggered you, I'll go ahead and say that me going "don't talk like that" was merely meant in a way to say "don't get your hopes up", not to snuff you out.
And since I know that's gonna trigger you too, the explanation above wasn't to lecture you, but to give you an outlook on how I, and probably other people here, view English grammar, in order to avoid more misunderstandings in the future.

I am fully aware of when things may or may not come true.

I'm sure you are. But the wording of your phrases goes a long way in getting that across.

Last edited:

Goldsickle

Just saying "if" isn't enough.
It's totally, totally enough.

The correct response from you should have been "Sorry, I've been really jumpy. I was having a bad day." or something.
But instead, you create some bizarre law about the "correct usage" of "if".
This is the first time I get pulled over for this.

Because it seems like that triggered you,
You're self-projecting.

This exchange started because you were upset over something I said, not the other way around.
"Don't talk like that" implies that it didn't sit well with you and if I continue doing so, you may get upset.

"don't get your hopes up"
Nothing in my sentence implies that I was "getting my hopes up".
What I posted was pure curiosity.

Heck, I even asked about it back in March, so how come you're upset about it now?

You are the only one who misunderstood me.

You failed to change my mind and this discussion went nowhere.
I will repeat what I said and it's on you to pay attention to "if" at the start of the sentence:

If Vergil being playable is official, have they decided whether his Doppelganger ability is boss version-only or something players can use as well?

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
It's totally, totally enough.

Yeah, no. Whether you're aware of them or not, there ARE rules to constructing a proper conditional sentence in the English language. But in order not derail this thread further, I'll respond to this in PM.

Last edited:
Top Bottom