• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

The Writing (and Artistic) Ranting Thread

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
Does anyone else ever feel like it's impossible to just...turn off and relax after finishing writing something? Brain's just like "no, you have to write more" as soon as one story's done. And I feel like I should enjoy it and relax. But brain's still insistent.

All the time. ._. I only manage to take breaks because I force myself; otherwise I succumb to burn-out.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I have a list of old fanfic ideas. Some of them are simple like "V meet the Live Hackers". Some of them are odd like "Jak and Daxter/The originals" and "Jak and Daxter/Dead or alive".

I'm beginning to see a pattern emerge. Apparently Jak and Daxter are now my go to wish fulfillment characters for 2020.

Those would've worked as "inclusion" crossovers where both franchises exist on the same world and sometimes affect each other. Dead or alive was easier to port over to Jak's world than the Originals.

"Mr and Mrs Trouble" follows that same pattern but "Fresh Start" breaks that trend. That's a more straightforward crossover where Haven and Spira are two separate planets. Which sets up some interesting culture shock.

Granted I think just using Yu Yu Hakusho or DMC instead of Jak and Daxter would be easier. But my focus is on less focused characters like Kido from chapter black. Writing him is like writing an oc so should I just use an oc instead?

Its an old question but one i keep coming back to. I wrote a bunch of monologues with Khalid so maybe I should use that instead. Or finally figure out who Vijay is.

My worry is falling into that OC trap that fanfics and now existing franchises tend to fall into. But maybe I could buck that trend?

Writer's block is about self doubt and thats a lesson I'm still sorting through. This is just another part of my arc.

Last edited:

Shadow

the horror was for love
Premium
I have a list of old fanfic ideas. Some of them are simple like "V meet the Live Hackers". Some of them are odd like "Jak and Daxter/The originals" and "Jak and Daxter/Dead or alive".

I'm beginning to see a pattern emerge. Apparently Jak and Daxter are now my go to wish fulfillment characters for 2020.

Those would've worked as "inclusion" crossovers where both franchises exist on the same world and sometimes affect each other. Dead or alive was easier to port over to Jak's world than the Originals.

"Mr and Mrs Trouble" follows that same pattern but "Fresh Start" breaks that trend. That's a more straightforward crossover where Haven and Spira are two separate planets. Which sets up some interesting culture shock.

Granted I think just using Yu Yu Hakusho or DMC instead of Jak and Daxter would be easier. But my focus is on less focused characters like Kido from chapter black. Writing him is like writing an oc so should I just use an oc instead?

Its an old question but one i keep coming back to. I wrote a bunch of monologues with Khalid so maybe I should use that instead. Or finally figure out who Vijay is.

My worry is falling into that OC trap that fanfics and now existing franchises tend to fall into. But maybe I could buck that trend?

Writer's block is about self doubt and thats a lesson I'm still sorting through. This is just another part of my arc.
Don't forget: the primary function of fandom and fanfic is to have fun. If making OCs and mixing fandoms is fun for you, then no reason not to make OCs or mix fandoms. (I posted an x-over in October that was a mashup of two fandoms that didn't make sense together and it worked better than I expected.) The people that are interested in them will find them. Do what makes you happy. You don't have to write for anyone but yourself.

Shadow

the horror was for love
Premium
A part of me feels like I should start writing spitefully again. I keep realising I just...don't agree with large portions of my fandoms on how certain characters should be handled and it's like I have this option of: a) loudly disagree (and call out the ones who are actively being ableist in the process) or b) say nothing. I'm honestly tired of sitting there quietly and taking it as people spout bs as if they're quoting the gods themselves. But I'm also so tired of fighting in fandoms and having people yell at me over a difference of opinion. Writing spitefully feels like the only safe option--protesting in a way that isn't active protest.

But...like...the problem with doing so in a large fandom is that it invites people who think their opinion is more valid or something and a fight seems inevitable. I dunno. Maybe I need a nap or something.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
A part of me feels like I should start writing spitefully again. I keep realising I just...don't agree with large portions of my fandoms on how certain characters should be handled and it's like I have this option of: a) loudly disagree (and call out the ones who are actively being ableist in the process) or b) say nothing. I'm honestly tired of sitting there quietly and taking it as people spout bs as if they're quoting the gods themselves. But I'm also so tired of fighting in fandoms and having people yell at me over a difference of opinion. Writing spitefully feels like the only safe option--protesting in a way that isn't active protest.

But...like...the problem with doing so in a large fandom is that it invites people who think their opinion is more valid or something and a fight seems inevitable. I dunno. Maybe I need a nap or something.
Is it people commenting on your work or just a trend you see happening in discussions of your favorite series?

Shadow

the horror was for love
Premium
Is it people commenting on your work or just a trend you see happening in discussions of your favorite series?
A trend in discussions and something that's happened in the comments of friends' work. There's been a lot of harassment and bullying from people who like the main ship and they're starting to get louder again so I'm hesitant to even touch on certain characters or topics or opinions just cuz I want them to ignore me. But...like...I'm also really sick of pretending I'm cool with their enforcing certain dynamics and things as "correct" when...there's no such thing in fandom. It's supposed to be a place we can all enjoy, not a hierarchy of "I'm correct because I belong to the majority opinion and all of you are stupid and wrong for believing otherwise". I've done spite writing in the past and it worked really well for getting those negative feelings out, but...like...it also kinda made that fandom less enjoyable because I just equated it with having to fight instead of enjoying things.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
A trend in discussions and something that's happened in the comments of friends' work. There's been a lot of harassment and bullying from people who like the main ship and they're starting to get louder again so I'm hesitant to even touch on certain characters or topics or opinions just cuz I want them to ignore me. But...like...I'm also really sick of pretending I'm cool with their enforcing certain dynamics and things as "correct" when...there's no such thing in fandom. It's supposed to be a place we can all enjoy, not a hierarchy of "I'm correct because I belong to the majority opinion and all of you are stupid and wrong for believing otherwise". I've done spite writing in the past and it worked really well for getting those negative feelings out, but...like...it also kinda made that fandom less enjoyable because I just equated it with having to fight instead of enjoying things.
I think it's better if your friends confront them on their own than you stepping in. Its their story so they have the right to police it.

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
I really, really hope all the chopping I've been doing to TMT will make it look good in the end. I feel like I'm taking something sort of essential out, but because I don't feel my intentions regarding it translated well, it's for the best--even if nothing was ever going to come of it to begin with. Maybe especially because of that; wouldn't want people to feel led on, or anything. It's okay that the implication is still there, as long as it isn't focused on too much.

It's moments like these I wish I'd made Gwen older, but at the same time, I don't see a lot of 15 year olds in YA. It always seems to be 16 and up. Not that it was a particularly conscious choice on my part; just seemed a good age. *shrug*

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I written a bit more for my short story. Granted I wrote this section in bits and pieces so I'm gonna have to reorganize when I type it.

I'm loosing interest in it but I'm close to the end.

I read a high school AU fanfic for Big Bang theory. It's incomplete but I think it was close to wrapping up. Maybe I should just finish it? Has anyone else ever done that? Finish someone else's fanfic?

Morgan

Premium
Xen-Ace 2021
I read a high school AU fanfic for Big Bang theory. It's incomplete but I think it was close to wrapping up. Maybe I should just finish it? Has anyone else ever done that? Finish someone else's fanfic?
No? Why would you want to do that? Is the fic orphaned? Did the author state they were allowing others to finish the story?
If you were interested in writing a high school AU for BBT, you would've done it to begin with. People are reading that story because they want to read that author.

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
Yup, I have. It's someone I have a good rapport with though, and they insisted upon it; I'd not have done it otherwise. I've also given readers of one of my own incomplete stories carte blanche to do the same (though I don't think they ever took me up on it).

Current writerly thoughts: Why, muse? Why do you insist on dividing my attention between projects, yet never give me the mental bandwidth to actually pull it off? Either give me enough focus on what I'm supposed to be working on, or give me more energy to juggle projects--you can't have it both ways. x_x

Shadow

the horror was for love
Premium
I did for a fic that got deleted when its hosting site abruptly shut down; the author had given me a copy of the fic before then and never resurfaced after the site went down. Didn't post it, though, cuz I didn't know if I was allowed to and it didn't feel right to post it without permission. If it's been a long time since the last chapter was posted, you could always send the author a private message saying you enjoyed it and are looking forward to future updates; if they say the fic's abandoned, you could ask for permission to finish it. Some people are cool with that. Some people also have permission statements on their profile saying what people are and aren't allowed to do with their writing (for example, I don't mind if someone wants to do fan art or inspired by or pod fic of my fic, but I would like people not to write prequels/sequels/spin offs of what I write), so that's worth checking as well. Some authors will also tell you what their plans for a story they abandoned were if you ask, so that's also worth a try. ^^;

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
Once I'm officially done with The Mythos Trials, I think I'll dedicate a good chunk of time to editing and querying The 13th Magic. I've had such an itch to get back into this middle-grade, and I want so badly to get a foothold in trad publishing. Not that I have a problem with doing things independently (all for it with the WoN Trilogy and The Spectrum Chronicles), but I really can't get the idea of seeing my books in stores out of my head. It's like a physical ache at this point.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I finished a short story called "How I met a cat with two tails". It became a prequel to my TV pilot "Part Time Spirit Helper". It got me thinking I could do an anthology title between the two.....I'm in an ambitious mood....:)

Top Bottom