• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

General DMC 5 Discussion

Goldsickle

Getting really sick of the fade-in/fade-out transitions I keep seeing in recent DMC games, including DMC5.

Remember how in DMC1, where the boss cutscenes transition fluidly into gameplay and back to cutscene after defeating the boss, without any fade ins?

Sure, the transition back to cutscene looked jerky a bit in that video but I believe that's more of the remaster's issues, since it transitions smoother back in the PS2 release.

Morgan

Premium
Xen-Ace 2021
Getting really sick of the fade-in/fade-out transitions I keep seeing in recent DMC games, including DMC5.

Remember how in DMC1, where the boss cutscenes transition fluidly into gameplay and back to cutscene after defeating the boss, without any fade ins?
I remember that time. DMC1 was... pretty much the only game in the series that had fluid transitions like that, since fade-ins/-outs started directly in DMC2. The reboot makes it two games; the post-fight transitions were more or less as janky as in that video for whatever reason (asset loading, etc).

If I could take a guess, fade transitions are for a "cinematic experience"; it's great for the inevitable "Cutscene Movie" YouTube compilation, given that those are clear places to cut the footage and put it back together with other, clearly-delineated cutscenes. Either that or Theater Mode.

Goldsickle

If I could take a guess, fade transitions are for a "cinematic experience"; it's great for the inevitable "Cutscene Movie" YouTube compilation, given that those are clear places to cut the footage and put it back together with other, clearly-delineated cutscenes. Either that or Theater Mode.
I'm thinking it's probably easier to program if you segment things that way.

But it's becoming really annoying, especially in some chapters.
You walk a bit to a location and the screen fades in/out to show things you have to destroy or a short scene overlooking the stage, like Nero commenting on the Qlipoth in Mission 3.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Well, there's a bit more to it than that. Think back to the first Phantom fight. I think that has to be the best transition from cutscene to gameplay in the series. It's more than just 'not fading to black' but it's dynamic and interesting. DMC1 was full of these little unique moments. The way the camera pans when you first kill the Frosts, which has become a standard since DmC, how examining something activated a boss fight. Little tidbits like that. I don't know if they're unique to DMC but the series has streamlined itself so uniqueness and quirkiness of that kind is not really present anymore.

Goldsickle

Well, there's a bit more to it than that. Think back to the first Phantom fight. I think that has to be the best transition from cutscene to gameplay in the series. It's more than just 'not fading to black' but it's dynamic and interesting.
It may be remnants of the "Action Time Event" mechanic when DMC1 was still an RE4 prototype.
Another thing DMC1 implemented that isn't present in most other titles is have the enemy attack right after the cutscene.
For example, the introduction cutscene for Shadow or Plasma.

The very last time DMC ever did that was in DMC4, when Angelo Agnus attacks Nero right after his pre-boss battle cutscene in Mission 9.

Because there was never any plans for a Quick Time Event style mechanic in recent DMC titles, maybe that's one of the reason why cutscenes don't transition more smoothly, since they're treated as typical "cutscenes" with typical fade-ins/outs.

berto

I Saw the Devil
have you guys noticed vergil is only canonically in every odd number game

he was nelo (nero angelo) in 1 then OG vergil in 3 and now hes in 5
I suppose Special Editions don't count, which is fair. For the most part those are notable as afterthoughts rather than sincere intentional entrees.

Goldsickle

Devil May Cry 5 couldn't be anything but a big game.
It has four times the amount of staff compared to Devil May Cry 4.

Maybe Devil May Cry 4 would have more bosses and doesn't force you to repeat Nero's stages in reverse as Dante if they hired more staff.

Redcore

Devil May Cry 5 couldn't be anything but a big game.
It has four times the amount of staff compared to Devil May Cry 4.

Maybe Devil May Cry 4 would have more bosses and doesn't force you to repeat Nero's stages in reverse as Dante if they hired more staff.

I kind of like it in 4. It shows you how much more powerful Dante is. Nero harms bosses. Dante destroys them.

Goldsickle

I kind of like it in 4. It shows you how much more powerful Dante is. Nero harms bosses. Dante destroys them.
Bael was the only exception.
I guess the staff thought it would be too repetitive for every boss to escape, so they made the whole thing with Bael having brothers and Dante facing Dagon.

berto

I Saw the Devil
8a0e4977164f1a79ba9d21b69d602d136a9cd49b.png

Goldsickle

I forgot how it works in DMC3 but Vergil back then cannot do Blistering Swords or Storm Swords without doing Spiral Swords first, right?

Dark Prince

The Alpha & The Omega
Fun fact about this video, I think one of Bury The Light lyrics is easter egg, kinda :oops: or arkham predicted the future about DMC 5 that we could play as Vergil again :unsure:.

Last edited:
Top Bottom