• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What Are You Thinking?

Goldsickle

I'm also curious, how prevalent is western media in Malaysia compared to local media?
Most of the stuff we got in the late 80's and 90's are American stuff, since Malaysia hardly makes its own animation.
So despite living in Malaysia, we still totally get stuff like Transformers, G.I. Joe, My Little Ponies, Care Bears, Inspector Gadget and so on.
I remember watching the Transformers animated movie through VHS.

But unlike today, where we get our foreign shows almost the same time as its origin country, some shows we get kinda late.
Because Malaysia only started getting Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles in the early 90's, I assumed it was an "early 90's" show at the time.
It wasn't until I got internet (many years later...) that I realized TMNT was also an 80's show, we just got it later.

Animations aside, we also get live-action shows like MacGyver, Quantum Leap, A-Team and I totally remember getting into Star Wars, which we watched over and over again on VHS.

Malaysia totally have their own locally produced media but from my experience... they're absolutely nothing and cannot compare to foreign stuff.
Even if locally-produced media has improved and gained popularity (like Upin & Ipin or Boboiboy), I really never bothered with them.

I may have gotten into animation through Western media but nowadays, I'm more weeaboo and otaku with Japanese animations...
Speaking of that, we also got a lot of Malay-dubbed anime back in the 80's and 90's but because they're Malay-dubbed and the voice acting sucks, we couldn't take the show seriously sometimes...

Goldsickle

Malaysia doesn't have girl Scouts and/or girl Scout cookies?
We totally have girl scouts but I don't think we have the whole "selling girl scouts cookies on doorstep" thing.
Also, Malaysian homes tend to have access to the front door blocked by driveway gates.
So it was also weird seeing people walking up to the front door just like that or the front entrance not having locked grill doors...

Also, the whole "What!? Americans wear shoes INSIDE their homes!?". X3

V's patron

be loyal to what matters

D'artagan was the early version of "Raz" from Psychonauts.

He keeps reminding me of the Sandman comic- "the dream kid".

He should pop up in Psychonauts 3.

therogis

ʙʟᴏᴏᴅ ғᴏʀ ғʀᴇᴇᴅᴏᴍ
It still blows my mind how people in Germany dry their dishes with a towel or in a small rack on a table, when you could integrate a drying rack inside a cupboard - like in every house in Finland.

250px-Astiankuivauskaappi-20060227.jpg

When I introduced the drying cupboard for my German flatmates, they were like "How come no one has thought that here".

How barbaric.

Also WTF, a coffee maker is NOT a default kitchen device in Germany :eek:!!!
I had to buy my own and thus I very much disagreed with the rental agreement's mention of "fully equipped kitchen with all the necessary appliances". I mean, I can make a lot of stuff without a stove but c'mon, a coffee maker is a must. :|

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
How does the cupboard not get all damp though? In the UK, unless you have a dishwasher, you dry your dishes either with a tea-towel immediately after washing them or leave them on the draining board to air dry (with or without a rack).

Putting them in a cupboard whilst still wet? I don't understand how that works as well?

I also cannot go into someone's house and keep my shoes on. When I was a kid, I was taught it was polite to remove your shoes so that you didn't traipse mud and dirt into someone else's home. When I got older, some American friends of mine asked if we were Japanese because it was purely an Asian thing, as far as they were concerned. Yeah, I'm totes Japanese with my blonde hair and blue eyes...

And if a child ever came to my door to sell cookies? I'd be immediately suspicious - they'd just be the distraction whilst another friend of theirs is trying to break into my house from the back and rob me blind.

therogis

ʙʟᴏᴏᴅ ғᴏʀ ғʀᴇᴇᴅᴏᴍ
How does the cupboard not get all damp though? In the UK, unless you have a dishwasher, you dry your dishes either with a tea-towel immediately after washing them or leave them on the draining board to air dry (with or without a rack).

Putting them in a cupboard whilst still wet? I don't understand how that works as well?

It works exactly like a draining board. There are no shelves in such a cupboard, just racks, so the water just drips on the sink or aluminum table below (as it would drip from any kind of drying rack). The dishes are not moist that long.

In the photo above, the cupboard looks very old. Usually they're just similar cupboards that you have in your kitchen anyway, the only difference being that the shelves are actually racks. They're painted from the inside so they deal with moist as well as any kitchen cupboard would.

therogis

ʙʟᴏᴏᴅ ғᴏʀ ғʀᴇᴇᴅᴏᴍ
It's not default in Malaysia either X3

You monsters

Please search for coffee consumption by country in Google if you wonder why is this such a big thing for me. Or just check here. Also I can confirm the mention of legally mandated coffee breaks... well, technically it's a matter of union agreements, but usually they mention these coffee breaks and breaking such an agreement is illegal and leads to a court proceeding.

Last edited:

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
It works exactly like a draining board. There are no shelves in such a cupboard, just racks, so the water just drips on the sink or aluminum table below (as it would drip from any kind of drying rack). The dishes are not moist that long.

In the photo above, the cupboard looks very old. Usually they're just similar cupboards that you have in your kitchen anyway, the only difference being that the shelves are actually racks. They're painted from the inside so they deal with moist as well as any kitchen cupboard would.
Ah, ok. It just looks like the bottom shelf in the picture you shared had a wooden base - and if it doesn't, then does the water drip onto the stuff below it?

Man, this just proves how old I'm getting. I don't even DO housework, let alone have discussions about it :ROFL:

therogis

ʙʟᴏᴏᴅ ғᴏʀ ғʀᴇᴇᴅᴏᴍ
Ah, ok. It just looks like the bottom shelf in the picture you shared had a wooden base - and if it doesn't, then does the water drip onto the stuff below it?

Man, this just proves how old I'm getting. I don't even DO housework, let alone have discussions about it :ROFL:
It's probably just a small wooden rail that's usually built on the cupboards just so the door doesn't slam against the plates.

And yes, the water drips through it, but usually there's a kitchen sink below it and a part of aluminum kitchen counter, so you can just wipe it dry afterwards :)

CT: We were supposed just to have a weekly meeting with a couple who are our friends. Just with two people, discussing about stuff and having a chat etc, not a big deal.

When I enter Zoom, there are suddenly 7 friends of ours, not just the couple. Our doorbell rings and my spouse just casually signs out from Zoom and tells me to have fun.

They had planned a surprise baby shower via Zoom, including a cake delivery and... Well. I had a hard time not to cry because wow. They had planned some fun quizzes and games and all that.

Thought one: Is it safe to shed a tear now? :'D
Two: WHAT
Third: since when have I been entitled to have surprise parties?

+ one of the gifts was probably the cutest little dress for naming ceremony EVER :love:
(Let's now hope that it really is a girl, because my spouse told me if it's a boy he's not gonna allow me to dress him into a pink glitter dress for naming ceremony lmao)

Last edited:

therogis

ʙʟᴏᴏᴅ ғᴏʀ ғʀᴇᴇᴅᴏᴍ
The feeling you get when you open Blogger "Incoming Traffic" and you are like "Holy cow, why is my Finnish blog so popular in Canada"
... and then you realize why you also get a lot of Walmart ads... because you played a bit with your new, fancy VPN, getting familiar with the options, and forgot to turn your location from Canada back to Finland...

#idiot

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
I think I might be more nervous about kiddo starting at a new school next week than she is. :S She's been at the same school for 7 years, and considering the only reason behind the transfer after SK was because the old school shut down (meaning most of the faculty and students likewise were moving to the same school), this is going to be a big change. She'd known the same people for 9 years of her school life; she won't know anyone at this school...and kids can be such assholes to those that are different.

And it's Grade 8. So we get to do this dance again next year when she starts high-school.

Honestly, I don't think I was this worried when she started JK. o_O

Sparda's rejected son

For Edenoi!
Premium
Supporter 2014
We totally have girl scouts but I don't think we have the whole "selling girl scouts cookies on doorstep" thing.
Also, Malaysian homes tend to have access to the front door blocked by driveway gates.
So it was also weird seeing people walking up to the front door just like that or the front entrance not having locked grill doors...

You guys have gated homes? I'm envious. And yes us Americans and our shoes in the house thing is just wrong. Hell I won't wear socks in the house if it isn't cold. #Let the toes free!

Top Bottom