• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What are you watching right now?

therogis

ʙʟᴏᴏᴅ ғᴏʀ ғʀᴇᴇᴅᴏᴍ
Hey Duggee.

Yeah... with my daughter...

Although I do like it. Spider Badge episode is one of my favourites and it's now on.

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
A video breaking down Oxford Universities study of the genetic history of Britons. Of particular interest is the evidence that debunks the popularly held belief that the migrating Anglo-Saxons wiped out the native Celtic population.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters

"Jogi" (2022)

Based on the 1984 riots in Dehli, India. A moving but tragic film. Not ideal Sunday viewing but worth a watch.

Kaminey (2009)

A crime thriller centered around two brothers living very different lives. One brother became a small-time gangster looking to get rich quick. Another brother became a med student and an NGO volunteer trying to fight aids. When a crooked politician and international crime lord mistake them for each other, things get complicated real fast.

Last edited:

Dr. Cheesesteak

Finally finished Doom Patrol S3 today. Was torn between starting Peacemaker or Lovecraft Country next. Went with Peacemaker and started watching the first episode today.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
As prep for Andor's premiere tomorrow l'm rewatching Rogue One.

It holds up but is slow in the beginning.

Now onto Sandman

Last edited:

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
Recently watched the new thor movie, it was okay

Wish it had more action and less comedy, maybe 70-30 ratio rather than the other way around. Ragnorok has the balance right and is way better.

Dr. Cheesesteak

Finished Peacemaker yesterday and decided to ride out my last 1.5 weeks of HBO Max watching Studio Ghibli movies. I'm currently in the middle of Kiki's Delivery Service and think Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away are next.

But wondering if anyone has any other recommendations that can take priority? My Neighbor Totoro? Castle in the Sky? Howl's Moving Castle? Nausicaa? A non-Miyazaki one? I think I can fit in maybe 3 or 4 more.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters

I rewatched it yesterday. Essentially it's about a prideful med student who turns to drugs and alcohol to cope when his girlfriend's family rejects him. It's a muddled film but an interesting watch.

Plus the soundtrack is great.

I'm currently rewatching Andor. It's a slow burn but a good follow-up to Rogue One.

I started watching Kenobi. I guess it's that's kind of weekend. ;).

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups!
Sonic the Hedehog (2020) - I finally decided to give this a go. The Blu-Ray double pack came in the mail earlier yesterday. The movie is not bad and is actually decent. The action scenes are good, and still feels like a Sonic movie. Ben Scwartz is obviously doing a different take of the character (albeit slightly younger and was socially isolated for most of his life), but familiar. There's plenty of good shout-outs to the games without being distracting, and the last 30 minutes are the best part. Jim Carrey is a riot as always, and fits Eggman to an E. Perfectly accurate depiction with his own spin. The human characters are not as bad as I thought they would be. I actually like Tom and some of the supporting ones that show up. I still wish the movie was animated and just took place in Sonic's actual world. Not much point in complaining about it now. These movies are basically the live-action versions of Sonic X, but better. Not much of a milestone as there are better Sonic adaptions, but I will take this movie any day over two seasons of Sonic X.

On a rating scale of movie adaptions with MK 1995, SF II: The Animated Movie, and SF: Assassin's Fists at the top, Rampage (2018) being in the middle decent-good portion, the live action Mario Bros & Double Dragon at D-List, with anything Hitman or Uwe Bowell being at worse than crap bottom: Sonic sits slightly below Rampage, but has enough charm to keep the film going. The pacing works for the most part and the dull moments don't last long. Most of the humor works, but that whole "child in a gym bag" gag should have been cut. Nothing would have been missed.

I do love the animated credits in the end using the 16-bit graphics recapping the film. The animated Sega logo at the beginning with a lot of the Sega games on display tugs the heartstrings.... The people making this film did care enough, so I won't hate them for that.

Now on to Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (2022). The one with the stupid wedding sub-plot no one asked for. I'll be hitting the fast forward button whenever it cuts to the wedding. Which explains the 122-minute runtime.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups!
Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (2022) - This movie is better and improved, but there are some pacing issues. Let me get the bad out of the way right now. Most of the wedding scenes could have been cut down, and we would lose 15 minutes of nothing total. It leads to a twist/punchline that could have been done without it. For those not into Sonic lore from the games: the wedding is a sting operation from the black ops section of the government, G.U.N. The organization from Sonic Adventure 2. The wedding scenes don't go on for that long, but it's still a black mark of nothingness. They go a little overboard with the pop culture references in the first part of the film, and they could have used more music from the games. I don't want to hear "modern" pop songs from the 2010s, nor do I need to hear good rap songs from the 90s (as much as I love the selection they play). The orchestral tracks do their job, but work some songs from the games. They had a perfect chance to do a snippet or remix of Ice Cap Zone!

Now for the good. I am glad they were able to get Tails' current voice actor (Colleen O'Shaughnessey) from the games (Sonic Unleashed to right now). When the Sonic and Tails interact with each other, it's some of my favorite parts of the movie. There are plenty of funny and heartwarming moments. It makes me wish they could have built up their partnership a little more, but the finale when they all team up with Knuckles makes up for it. Speaking of which, Idris ****ing nails it! His early characterization of Knuckles is spot on, while mixing in some moments of SA1&2 and modern Knuckles. Please bring him back!

The action is more elaborate and gets better. S2 got really creative with the how the characters fight and interact with their environment. The finale is practically Sonic Heroes. In fact, this movie is a combination of Sonic 2, Sonic 3 & Knuckles, Sonic Adventure, and Sonic Adventure 2 (Shadow is teased for Sonic 3). The finale is awesome, and some the best 40 minutes left in a live-action video game adaption! I have no idea how they're gonna top that, nor will I blame them not trying. I do hope Amy and Rouge show up in 3. If only one, then let it be Amy.

Sonic 2 (2022) is definitely an improved sequel, but I will give the first movie having better pacing. If the first movie is a C+, then this movie sits at a B. I would give higher, if they took out the wedding scenes. Hopefully with the 3rd movie coming out in 2024, they'll learn from their mistakes, and hopefully have Sonic and the gang be in their world for most of the movie. At the very least tone down the pop-culture references and not focusing on a sub-plot for a side character no one cares about! On the movie adaption scale, S2 sits a little above Rampage (2018), and halfway between it and MK'95.

A quick ramble: I don't what it was with the critics at the time, but I do not know why they keep comparing this movie to Marvel films (usually in a positive comparison). These movies are nothing like them and do their own thing (outside of Sonic making a Winter Soldier reference). When I last checked, an action-adventure film leading to an ancient temple with magical jewels was something not invented by Marvel, nor the MCU. That's a tale as old as time itself! I admit this version of Sonic comes off as super-lite Deadpoolish, but that was more so the first movie. Even then, only barely. Get your head out of your ass film critics. Not everything should be compared, nor make an analogy to the MCU. Let films be their own thing and stop making comparison that makes no sense. Thank you.

Top Bottom