• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Devil May Cry Forums

Foxtrot94
Foxtrot94
Sex, booze and swearing and all that stuff CAN be things to make a game mature, but only if they're contextualized. They need context. If there is one, then there's no problem.

It's kind of the difference that there is between, say, how sex is handled in The Witcher and Ride to Hell: Retribution.
Innsmouth
Innsmouth
I don't really remember sex playing any smart part in story of first two witchers except for optional cutscenes and naked cards. I don't think sex is what makes Witcher mature. It's rather overall writing. Problem is when sex and swearing or dark look slapped atop something else to make it "mature" and I think he made excellent point with Jak
Foxtrot94
Foxtrot94
Exactly what I'm saying when I talk about context. Sex for example, can make a game mature if the writing supports it. Take the elven bath scene from TW2 for instance. That's an example of a thematic and meaningful sex scene. How did you not remember that? XD
Innsmouth
Innsmouth
honestly i don't because i never took elven side in it. I was on humans side. There was small sex intercourse with lady knight but thats pretty much it. Nothing game couldn't live without.
Foxtrot94
Foxtrot94
It was an event in Chapter 1, independant from which side you will pick after. And it was very thematic. And doing it triggers a dialogue with Triss you can't have otherwise, which is significant to her character.
Foxtrot94
Foxtrot94
I mean, man, it's the most famous scene from TW2, can't believe you don't know it. LOL
Innsmouth
Innsmouth
ah ok, maybe I missed it. I never tried to get all sex scenes in game so probably didn't payed much attention to it. Aside from that I ran game with my old PC so 15 FPS weren't as fun to watch xD
Enigma
Enigma
I remember the Witcher 2 trying for the most part to be edgy fairly often. Most villagers looked like drunken uncivilized morons, soldiers all looked like brutes, the sex in the game usually served no purpose, etc etc. In my book, a game that relies on total childish stereotypes all the time, just for shock value, is not mature. The Witcher 2 is definitely an example of a game that misunderstands maturity.
Enigma
Enigma
Foxtrot94
Foxtrot94
The games, like the books, depict a brutal and yes, edgy world because they choose to approach fantasy in a more grounded in reality way. The medieval times were like that, where war brought rape and murder, men religiously believed women scum and the devil's slaves, yet fell under the temptation of lust all the time and saw women as sex objects.
Foxtrot94
Foxtrot94
It's easy to confuse that for immaturity when it's actually something very real, at the time, and to a degree, even nowadays.
Enigma
Enigma
I don't know how The Witcher 3 handles it, but I've been hearing good things from the people who hold similar opinions to mine.
Foxtrot94
Foxtrot94
The approach is similar to TW2, where you have your main romances to have sex with, and where sex contrubutes to the characters'... well... characterization.

I too am glad that they got rid of TW1's "sex system" ever since TW1, which I did find pretty questionable.
Enigma
Enigma
Enigma
Enigma
I didn't have much of a problem with sex in TW2, and I wouldn't know what it was like in TW1 since I haven't played it. For me, TW2 just relied on stereotypes a bit too much, and acted like almost everything sucked and all rulers are just out to manipulate everyone and be d*cks, etc etc. I think thegame could've been more nuanced.
Enigma
Enigma
For the record, I don't think TW2 sucks, that's just the opinion of the author of that opinion piece.
Foxtrot94
Foxtrot94
You'd be surprised, man. You really would. Just in the history of the Region I live here in Italy, there's quite a few examples of those kinds of scummy things.

The Witcher series, overall, does depict its world in a grounded fashion, obviously slightly exaggerating some aspects for the sake of the story and because of the fantasy setting.
Innsmouth
Innsmouth
Now honestly they were following book pretty close. In books villagers did acted as bunch of uncultured swines.
Foxtrot94
Foxtrot94
Yeah, and that was certainly the case in real medieval times.
Enigma
Enigma
I stand by my opinion on TW2. It was far too grimdark for me, I don't see it as representative of what medieval times were like. I'm sure there was bigotry, hatred, incest etc in real life, but the game didn't have to throw it in your face all the time like it's 'normal'. I agree with that blogspot post. TW2 just seems to think 'rated M for mature' means the same thing as mature in the sense of 'adult'.
Top Bottom