• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Devil May Cry Forums

Rebel Dynasty
Rebel Dynasty
While there are certainly double-standards that work against men, there are just as many that work against women--and when it comes to people's views on female characters, that's when it comes into sharper relief.
I do get being irritated about characters being changed to pander to the masses, though.
Shadow
Shadow
100% what Rebel said. I wasn't saying gender-swapping is the same, I was saying that it's near impossible to start something new with a female lead because of scrutiny and everyone insisting it's "pandering". What I was trying to say wasn't "oh, gender-swap everyone to be pc!" It was: why, if the lore supports it, is it a bad thing to let something new happen?
Shadow
Shadow
You just said Capaldi understood his role, well how do we know the next Doctor doesn't? How do we know she's not brilliant at it? Saying she was only chosen to "push propaganda" is the same as saying "oh, so-and-so only got promoted cuz they've been on their knees at work". She hasn't even been given a chance to prove she's good at her job.
LordOfDarkness
LordOfDarkness
I see what you're saying, but why not sooner? Why only in a time when entertainment is trying to put more emphasis on female characters?
LordOfDarkness
LordOfDarkness
I'm all for giving her a chance, don't get me wrong. There's no harm in that. But I think that sexism aside, how am I supposed to buy into the idea that a woman can use a screwdriver? - Yes, that was a rather touchy joke.
V
Viper
Because they got green light to do it? Writers usually get guidelines what they think will sell and female main characters are considered less and less a risky decision these days.
Innsmouth
Innsmouth
as far as I know lore was changed to pander to begin with. And like I said, from what she said it didn't seems like she gives even remote **** about being a doctor. For her its all about feminism.
Innsmouth
Innsmouth
Also sorry @Rebel Dynasty but we had many good female characters in the past as well and nobody was angry about them. There was Ripley and Buffy and Scally and half of the cast of Firefly. As for now it seems the only female characters accepted are gender swapped male protagonists. How many original female characters can you name?
Innsmouth
Innsmouth
Also why not make like Mad Max made. Equally strong female character? Because this is how I understand equality. Not removal of male characters for sake of female.
Innsmouth
Innsmouth
for now PC culture doesn't learn acceptance and equality, all it brings is separation and hatred on both sides. And sadly people supporting it simply don't understand it.
LordOfDarkness
LordOfDarkness
Yes but earlier on you were saying "What's wrong with the new Doctor being a woman if the character allows for it?", but now you're saying "They could only execute that move in a time when others are taking that risk". You see, if your character is gender-less then you're not really taking any risks casting a woman.
LordOfDarkness
LordOfDarkness
It would've made even more sense doing it before now as it really wouldn't seem like just trying to follow suit.
Reactions: Shadow
V
Viper
@Innsmouth I gave examples of the lore changing long before the sjw pandering began. And why shouldn't they change it, they also changed it to give themselves leeway in case they want to go further than 13 Doctors, lore changes all the time in all long-running stories, as writers get new ideas. Heck, I'm reading Jojo, where Araki completely threw the set rules for stands out the window more than once.
V
Viper
Hate to break it to you, but gender-swapping is result of both producers and consumers not willing to move further than the comfort of familiar setting, why make a new superhero when you can just reboot Spiderman 100 times and make a lot of money from fans who treat it as religion.
Innsmouth
Innsmouth
Lore changed under Moffat who was promoting "progressive" culture to begin with. Also don't compare it with Jojo, because Jojo is known for Araki doing whatever he wants, ignoring consequences. Thats why its called "Bizarre Adventure."
V
Viper
@LordOfDarkness Because for them to implement certain idea it has to sound appealing to their financiers, and it's precisely because everyone is following suit that the idea of a female Doctor had chances of being sold, since Doctor Who would be for longest time primarily aimed at young males as most grateful consumers of adventure science fiction.
V
Viper
It's Bizarre Adventure cause of all the supernatural stuff, not cause Araki can just go all over the place with what he writes.
Innsmouth
Innsmouth
So basically you say "since I don't want anything new, it gonna be shoved down insight my throat" But this is wrong. Im open for new stuff if its good. But if its bad, I simply not interested in it. I would kill for anything like original Buffy. But than again feminists mobbed Joss Whedon to the hell and back, so unlikely it happens.
Innsmouth
Innsmouth
Arraki literally changed gender mid comic and pretended it never happened middle of the arc. And there is tons stuff like this, that are weird and uncorrelated in book. But like I said he's famous for it.
V
Viper
There is a rumor going around that the reason why Anasui's gender changed is cause Araki wanted to do lesbian romance, but editors said no. And if you think he can just get away with everything, then you haven't been around Jojo threads for a really long time, the difference is that whatever criticism may come his way he doesn't cry about it in media. Continued...
Top Bottom