• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

All about Dragon Ball/Z/GT/Super

Sparda's rejected son

For Edenoi!
Premium
Supporter 2014
I know their a lot of Dragon Ball/Z/GT fans here and I haven't seen a thread all about it so I decided to make one. Because my Super Sentai/Power Ranger thread died (tear) I will pray that this thread lasts lol.

For those of you who don't know what DB/Z/GT is here is a summary of the series:

What is "Dragon Ball?" Dragon Ball/Z is a Manga created by Akria Toriyama about the adventures of Son Goku. The manga begins with Son Goku a young boy living in the mountains alone, he meets a young teen named Bulma who is looking for the Seven Dragon Balls. When all seven Dragon Balls are gathered the dragon god Shen Long will appear to grant you one wish. (Later two wishes)
Son Goku has one of these Dragon Balls and he joins Bulma on a adventure to gather all of seven of them. Years later Son Goku marries and has a son, it is during this time that Son Goku's brother Raditz a Saiyan warrior from space tells Son Goku that he is his a Saiyan warrior as well. This leads Son Goku on a adventure to discover his Alien heritage and ultimately becomes Earth's savior. The Dragon Ball Manga was adopted into a Anime show called "Dragon Ball" which is about Son Goku's early years and "Dragon Ball Z" centering around Son Goku's older years. Dragon Ball GT was a continuation of the Dragon Ball series that had no Manga counterpart it was a "Anime continuation" of the series.

So DB/Z/GT let's discuss our favorite anime and manga!! :)
turkey_23206_1.jpg

ONE RULE: I know a lot of people hate Dragon Ball GT (I have no idea why) but if anyone starts posting "I hate DBGT" (without giving a valid reason) or DBGT is @#$^ than you can "get the steppen." This thread is NOT for hating on DBGT so if that is your desire don't bother posting here. Only valid reasons for disliking DBGT given in a respectful manner are allowed here. Thank you for understanding and enjoy the greatness that is Dragon Ball!!!!!!

I'll start, I loved DBGT because it was fun, delightful, I felt like I was watching Dragon Ball again. The SS4 transformation is cool looking and the enemy designs of Vegeta Baby, Super 17, and the Shadow Dragons were superb. The story (with minor slip ups) was solid and who didn't tear when Son Goku flew away on the Nimbus saying "Until we meet again guys." (English version) DBGT was a delightful and good closing story to the Dragon Ball Saga. P.S. DBGT had less plot holes than DB & Z had.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
While I love DB and DBGT, my vote has to go to DBZ, simply because that was the first I watched, and it was amazing. Though, I will always remember, even as a child, saying "Um... I'm pretty sure five minutes is way shorter than what the show is saying it is."

Sparda's rejected son

For Edenoi!
Premium
Supporter 2014
While I love DB and DBGT, my vote has to go to DBZ, simply because that was the first I watched, and it was amazing. Though, I will always remember, even as a child, saying "Um... I'm pretty sure five minutes is way shorter than what the show is saying it is."
Son Goku and Frieza's 5 minute battle turned into what 5 episodes? Lol

ToCool74

"Fair" DmC Skeptic
Premium
DBZ is the best in my honest opinion.

It had the longest run and the most epic sagas such as the Frieza saga and the Android/Cell Saga.

Dragonball is second in my book.

We got to see how it "all begin" so to speak.

I liked that Master roshi was actually pretty badazz back then and the Picollo saga gave us the first death of one of Goku's friends - SPOILER - Krillen.

I liked Dragoball GT mostly because it continued the story of DBZ and introduced new and more powerful forms such as SSJ4 and SSJ4 Gogeta.

But the thing that GT suffered from was

1. They should not have turned goku back into a kid. It gave a much more "sillier" feel to it that I felt GT did not need. It seemed as if they where trying to relive the days of Dragonall by doing that.

2. Inconsistencies ran rampant.

- How and when where the black star dragonballs created? You would think that something that important would have been mentioned and wasn't it confirmed that if Kami dies his Dragonballs go with him? so why the hell where those balls still around? It makes not since.

- Why was Gohan reduced to the much weaker SSJ form? what happened to the powerup he received after training with the old Kai? Did it suddenly just go away? and if so how and when?

- How come all the sudden you can't kill people in the after life? Wasn't it confirmed during the Buu saga that you can indeed kill them but by doing so they would just "cease to exist"? Wasn't that the main reason why Goku was so scared of kid buu going to the other world? why was this fact changed suddenly?

3. How is Goku and Vegeta Jr able to tranform into super saiyans? wasn't it said before that anbody who is less than half saiyan can not achieve this form? so how come Goku and Vegeta jr (who both should have very little saiyan blood remaining) able to transform into this state?

And

4.Akira did not make this anime which makes it lose alot of legitimacy amongst Dragonball fans and thus many fans consider it none canon.

But even with all those problems, GT was still a nice addition to the Dragonball series.

Just not close to being my favoite of the 3.

Sparda's rejected son

For Edenoi!
Premium
Supporter 2014
DBZ is the best in my honest opinion.

It had the longest run and the most epic sagas such as the Frieza saga and the Android/Cell Saga.

Dragonball is second in my book.

We got to see how it "all begin" so to speak.

I liked that Master roshi was actually pretty badazz back then and the Picollo saga gave us the first death of one of Goku's friends - SPOILER - Krillen.

I liked Dragoball GT mostly because it continued the story of DBZ and introduced new and more powerful forms such as SSJ4 and SSJ4 Gogeta.

But the thing that GT suffered from was

1. They should not have turned goku back into a kid. It gave a much more "sillier" feel to it that I felt GT did not need. It seemed as if they where trying to relive the days of Dragonall by doing that.

2. Inconsistencies ran rampant.

- How and when where the black star dragonballs created? You would think that something that important would have been mentioned and wasn't it confirmed that if Kami dies his Dragonballs go with him? so why the hell where those balls still around? It makes not since.

- Why was Gohan reduced to the much weaker SSJ form? what happened to the powerup he received after training with the old Kai? Did it suddenly just go away? and if so how and when?

- How come all the sudden you can't kill people in the after life? Wasn't it confirmed during the Buu saga that you can indeed kill them but by doing so they would just "cease to exist"? Wasn't that the main reason why Goku was so scared of kid buu going to the other world? why was this fact changed suddenly?

3. How is Goku and Vegeta Jr able to tranform into super saiyans? wasn't it said before that anbody who is less than half saiyan can not achieve this form? so how come Goku and Vegeta jr (who both should have very little saiyan blood remaining) able to transform into this state?

And

4.Akira did not make this anime which makes it lose alot of legitimacy amongst Dragonball fans and thus many fans consider it none canon.

But even with all those problems, GT was still a nice addition to the Dragonball series.

Just not close to being my favoite of the 3.
Actually Akira came up with the idea of story Son Goku becoming small again and Ultimate Dragon Balls were all his idea.The Ultimate Dragon Balls were created by Kami before he split with Demon King Piccolo. When Piccolo died the UDB's turned to stone. Both the English and Japanese versions explained this. I could be wrong on this point but the whole after u die while being dead you'll cease to exist thing I believe was only a anime filler thing. But this one I'm a bit unsure of so check with the DB wiki. While although Goku and Vegeta Jr had less Saiyan blood they still could transform was purely for story to continue the Son Goku legacy. Other than the afterlife comment I think I helped explain DBGT.

Ronan

oakheart
Premium
Dragon Ball Z had the honor of being my second anime ever, right after Tenchi Muyo. I think I came in at the beginning of the Buu Saga, so needless to say I had a lot of catching up to do.

Quite honestly, I've always been fascinated with any form of the Saiyan race, so my favorites are all monkey-tailed fellows, especially Bardock ^_^

And Broly. But that's a slightly unhealthy obsession we'll have to deal with later.

Of the three, I'll but the original Dragonball as my favorite. It introduced me to a little kid who I got to watch grow and become insanely strong over the course of three animes.

Dragonball Z gave me Bardock and Broly, so major kudos!
It also allowed me to write down "Saiyan" as a career plan in the third grade, so....>.>

DBGT is always fun to play with in the fighting games, and regardless of its status in the fanbase, I found it just as fun to watch as the other two.

Mephisto

Using Alchemy to hunt those Demons down!
GAH! I used to LOVE Dragon Ball! Still do, actually. Goku and his naive ways, Bulma, Krillin, Master Roshi, The Generals...oh how I miss the show. I was hardly ever into the Dragonball Z (except when I caught the Gohan trying to be a hero episodes) or GT. I will need to watch them soon!

Dark Drakan

Admin
Always preferred DBZ out of them all and even more so when they remastered it and cut all those filler episodes out. Still amazes me that something that came out 26 years ago is still talked out in such high regard today.

Sparda's rejected son

For Edenoi!
Premium
Supporter 2014
Woo Hoo!! The DBZ thread is a success!! Because I'm a nice guy I'll list all the DB/Z/GT Movies and OVA.

Dragon Ball:
1. Dragon Ball: Curse of the Blood Rubies
2. Dragon Ball: Sleeping Princess in Devil's Castle
3. Dragon Ball: Mythical Adventure
4. Dragon Ball: The Path to Power

Dragon Ball Z:
1. Dragon Ball Z: Dead Zone
2. Dragon Ball Z: The World's Strongest
3. Dragon Ball Z: The Tree of Might
4. Lord Slug
5. Cooler's Revenge
6. The Return of Cooler
7. Super Android 13
8. Dragon Ball Z: Broly The Legendary Super Saiyan
9. Dragon Ball Z: Bojack Unbound
10. Dragon Ball Z; Broly Second Coming
11. Bio-Broly
12. Fusion Reborn
13. Wrath of the Dragon
14. Dragon Ball Z: Bardock the Father of Goku
15. The History of Trunks
16. Plan to Eradicate the Saiyans/ 2010 remake DB: Plan to Eradicate the Super Saiyans
17. Dragon Ball: Yo Son Goku and his Friends Return
18. Dragon Ball: Episode of Bardock

Dragon Ball GT:
A Hero's Legacy

Their are all the current DB/Z/GT movies, OVA, and etc. :)

cheezMcNASTY

Entertain me.
Premium
DBZ r0x0r3d my sox off growing up. It was my favorite thing to watch on public access TV, and then later on Toonami when it was only on cartoon network. Seen every episode and I still get a kick out of it.

I decided to give GT a chance a little while ago and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. The Baby saga was pretty epic but it seemed like once they hit SSJ4 everything was either too easy or downright impossible.

I also noticed a few shortcuts in the animation and I'm sure I'm not the only one. For starters the fights were less intricately staged. Either less effort or less skill was on board because it just wasn't the same. Also noticed that they didn't once try to show the transformation to SSJ4. The camera always went elsewhere and came back. In the end I was pleasantly surprised up until the Baby saga and then disappointed for the rest of the show. I did like the ending, though. With Goku as some kind of immortal watching his descendants and the planet. Much better than him aging and dying, even if he would only have ended up on the Kai planet.

I'm currently watching DB. Hard to judge it so far as I'm only 8 episodes in.

Tony_Redgrave

TimeLord Detective
^Regarding the Dragon Ball be alert for some boring episodes after the end of the first tournament. It's the red ribbon army saga which I found endless and the most boring saga in DB universe I have ever watched. It may only be me, but I wanted to say it neverthelessXD

Sparda's rejected son

For Edenoi!
Premium
Supporter 2014
Recently I bought a Viz Big edition of Dragon Ball Z Volume 6 (spans from Super Vegeta vs Cell second form to SS2 Gohan killing the Cell Jrs.) and the normal volume 26 of DBZ which is the final volume of DBZ in America. Wow! here are things I noticed:

Both versions of the volumes edit out middle fingers, the name "Mr. Satan," Nudity, and the minor cursing. But keep everything else. Why would Viz do that? Especially the VizBig Edition which is suppose to be a update of the normal volumes.
This is the comic book form, why are they editing it?! Viz didn't make such odd changes to the Rurouni Kenshin VizBig Editions so why did they censer some of the DBZ content? Normal TV also censers DBZ and that is why I refuse to watch DB/Z/GT on normal TV because they censer way to much. I'm a grown man, I will not be forced to watched PG DB/Z/GT blasphemy!! I'm sticking to the Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Uncut DVDS as of now. Stupid Viz and Nicktoons and 4kids.

I will say this the final normal DBZ Volume #26 which goes from Super Vegeto to the end was good because the story moved quickly. The DBZ anime added a crap load of filler material for the ending Boo Saga that was not in the Manga. No wonder that Saga took forever to finish.

cheezMcNASTY

Entertain me.
Premium
I will say this the final normal DBZ Volume #26 which goes from Super Vegeto to the end was good because the story moved quickly. The DBZ anime added a crap load of filler material for the ending Boo Saga that was not in the Manga. No wonder that Saga took forever to finish.

That's a real shame. I never thought of Viz as one of the big censoring anime distributors but I guess I was wrong. They do a great job with Naruto; they don't censor anything and make every subbed episode available on Hulu. I think DB/Z/GT is still being treated by it's copyright owners as a kids show despite the fact that most of the American audience, who made it as popular as it is, are now adults. I'd chalk it up to a very stupid managerial decision.

First: I hate DBGT :troll:

Second: I'm joking :troll:

Third: I'm trolling:troll:
(this new troll smile is just awesome)

If anyone has heard of DB Budokai Tenkaichi 3, a game for PS2.
It is one of my favourite games which got me into the world of DB.
BTW Vegeta rules.

Sparda's rejected son

For Edenoi!
Premium
Supporter 2014
First: I hate DBGT :troll:

Second: I'm joking :troll:

Third: I'm trolling:troll:
(this new troll smile is just awesome)

If anyone has heard of DB Budokai Tenkaichi 3, a game for PS2.
It is one of my favourite games which got me into the world of DB.
BTW Vegeta rules.
I want that troll face removed!! Lol Jk I believe every DBZ fan knows what DBZ BT3 is lol

Satsui no Hado

BUY ONE THOUSAND GIFTS!!!
I love the Dragon Ball series.But what I don't like is how the series is getting milked to the point of ridiculousness nowadays.Like for example,are you aware that there is a special about Bardock going back in time from Frieza's giant ball of energy (that's right,he didn't die from that) and fighting Frieza's ancestor who is known as (I can't believe they actually named him this but...) Chilled.

Top Bottom