• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Bayonetta 3

berto

I Saw the Devil
While I had faith that P+ was going to put their best foot forward with one of their flagship titles, what, with this being the only one that has sequels, I'm still getting a lot of the stuff that I had reservations about, namely how the world is so meh compared to 1 and, especially, 2. No surprise considering just how much the had to dedicate to the spectacle of the demon summons. I get the feeling that this is do to the influence of Astral Chain, as well. I'm also rather sad to see all stinger and launcher related moves gone but I do have the other two games if it ever gets too intolerable.

berto

I Saw the Devil
So, really quickly, the homunculi intro splash have the names and these symbols that are under and a bit hard to make out but I think it's actually tibetan. It's hard to distinguish between hindi and tibetan but if I had to put my money on one it be the later.

I guess this needs spoilers:
This game seems to be inundated with scandal. First this, then that and now it's this whole thing with twitter calling the franchise 'queerbaiting.' I'm sorry, but at no real time was there any insinuation that she was a lesbian and I've read some of the examples people coin as 'evidence' and calling it reaching is being kind.

berto

I Saw the Devil
The Collectors Editor is quite gorgeous. The box ice rather big and flashy and the art book is beautiful.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups!
Some quick impressions:

• Weapons are just given to you now after certain encounters/story events. You know longer have to collect vinyl records or pieces of them to take back to Rodin. The entire move set for the weapon is there at the start. Each weapon allows a demonic transformation that gives you different styles of movement and how to jump.
  • Demon Summons function as their own separate weapon. You don't have to always use them in combat, but they're best used for larger enemies and knowing when to parry their attacks.
  • The chapters are quite lengthy with plenty of optional paths to explore. You're gonna wanna explore for some extra goodies and hidden verses.
  • Skill Up's the whole "Certain verses last too short" is an exaggeration. I am 6 chapters in, and I have no idea what he was going on about.
  • The environments are not as detailed compared to 1 or especially 2, but they do have color to them after leaving the wrecked cities. This was to accommodate the demon summons, so I am not that upset about it. At least there are more paths to explore compared to DMC5 or DmC (2013). Do note that the director of Astral Chain is the director of Bayonetta 3. Which explains the less detailed levels.
  • Viola is awesome and such a loveable dork. She plays almost exactly like Raiden. Think Viola as a more reckless Nero, but can still keep up in the end.
  • Jennifer Hale does a great job as Bayonetta.
I am stopping for tonight. Another thing to note is there's only one save file now. What is with AAA companies doing this since the mid HD era. I have nothing to worry about, as no one else is playing but me. Yet it still sucks publishers are afraid gamers who want to play someone else's copy feel like said person won't buy the game at some point in their life. Bayo1 has about 20 something save slots, Bayo2 has 3 save slots, and Bayo3 only has the one. Not deal breaker, but a minor rant on my part.

I got something cool. If you have a Bayo1 and Bayo2 save file, and complete the 4th mission, you unlock Bayo's guns from 1 and 2, thus become purchasable. Not only that, but equipping them makes function how they did in their respective games. You don't get the demon transformation, but you get Wicked Weave Attacks and can do panther within! That is how you do bonus features!

V's patron

be loyal to what matters

Non spoiler interview with Kamiya.

A list of all the costumes.

berto

I Saw the Devil
I got something cool. If you have a Bayo1 and Bayo2 save file, and complete the 4th mission, you unlock Bayo's guns from 1 and 2, thus become purchasable. Not only that, but equipping them makes function how they did in their respective games. You don't get the demon transformation, but you get Wicked Weave Attacks and can do panther within! That is how you do bonus features!
I did get those. I'm going to wait to beat the game to buy them, though, just to see how the game is on its own.
Another thing to note is there's only one save file now.
I was actually pretty mad about this one, too. DMC5 did it and I think DMC4, too, or atleast the SE. The hell is up with that? I don't want to make a new nintendo account just to start a new game. Sometimes I want to do a from scratch playthrough but that doesn't mean I want to get rid of my old save.

A list of all the costumes.
There's one missing. At least one that I know of.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups!
I think DMC4, too, or atleast the SE.
4:SE removed to one save file. Vanilla_DMC4 allowed multiple save slots in all versions.

So much happens towards the end. A lot I did not expect and caught me off guard and by surprise. Way to go Platinum! You've all outdone yourselves! I still consider Bayonetta 2 to be the best, but Bayonetta 3 is in my 2nd place spot. All of the call-backs and the references used works. That final boss battle and ending? Straight up turns in to Asura's Wrath and Dr. Strange.

This is the end, Cereza. Thank you for all of the wonderful times and memories. I do not regret these 12 years of stylish action from you. You, Luka, and Jeanne rest now. Similar to Nero, a new generation of action hero shall march forward. I look forward to Viola: our new Bayonetta.

To a new generation in the next game....

berto

I Saw the Devil
I’ve been playing quite a bit and this game is loaded. I know Kamiya made the original Bayonetta to be a full and complete game, very much against the running trend of selling parts of games as DLC, even if he did say he’d definitely be adding that sort of thing on his next game. 2 wasn’t as much but definitely more content than an average game with all its costumes, hidden weapons, online features and returning hidden boss. With that being said, this game is on a whole new level. I haven’t even beaten it yet and it already has almost as much content, if not, more than either of the other 2.
I have to admit, though, as much as I’m enjoying the game, it does have more than a few downs and disappointing aspects. I’ll get into it more after I beat it at least once. For the time being, I’m getting back to it.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups!
Interesting idea, but I am glad they never followed through on it. They can save it for the 4th game, or put the concept in a new IP.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups!
Dunkey has some points, and while some set pieces aren't perfect, but some stuff he's exaggerating or boils down to YMMV. A number of things:

1. Most puzzles sections are not that long and can be figured out in 2-3 minutes. There is one tricky puzzle section, but if you pay attention, a player can figure it out instantly. Plus, there's not that many puzzle sections.
  2. While the story is the most serious of the trilogy, the game still knows to make fun of itself and have that same fun. The story has problems, it's the characters that work and hold it together.
  3. While the other interactions with other Bayos could have been handled better, Bayo does talk to most of her counterparts or Jeanne's Egyptian counterpart. She even fights with Egyptian Jeanne in the next to last boss of that specific chapter. They ain't 5-10 minute conversations, but Bayo does speak and fight with most of her counterparts. Dunkey was not paying attention.
  4. There are a lot more cut-scenes, and that is true. My only problem is there are a lot more forced walking sections. They don't last long, but it makes me wonder: "Why didn't Platinum just make it a cut-scene or an extender part of the cut-scene?". Compared to Bayonetta 2, there's only two forced walking sections, while 3 has about 8-9 of them that last about 5-12 seconds.
  5. All Bayonetta games, individually or combined are better than anything Bay could ever come up with!
  6. Bayonetta 2 > Bayonetta 3 > Bayonetta. That includes gameplay, bonus content, story, and characters. 3 does have the best set pieces and weapon variety.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups!

Top Bottom