• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Custom Normal/bump maps

Dark Razvan

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forums and to modding as well, I've seen some really nice mods out there, and I was wondering how are bump maps done? I tried to do some mods but I realize some stuff looks weird with the default bump map, and I've seen people do their own bump maps.

So my question is, how do you do them?

Thanks!

ZeroLove

Bump maps are what makes textures look like they are in 3D, for example Dante's coat with the folds in it, it's not made in 3D, it just appears that way due to bump maps.

Now, I don't do mods, but I do use bump maps with 3D Studio Max and Zbrush, the programs I use to make 3D models in. There are other programs out there though which are free to download and use, but I think the actual modders would be more fitting to guide you to those, telling you what programs they use.

Bubbleberry

Bump maps are what makes textures look like they are in 3D, for example Dante's coat with the folds in it, it's not made in 3D, it just appears that way due to bump maps.

Now, I don't do mods, but I do use bump maps with 3D Studio Max and Zbrush, the programs I use to make 3D models in. There are other programs out there though which are free to download and use, but I think the actual modders would be more fitting to guide you to those, telling you what programs they use.

Well that would be really useful. Thanks.

If you check out my Zombie Mod I made and use the Son of Sparda costume I cut pieces of the texture out and used the skin texture underneath. This makes it look like he has tears in his shirt and they seem to look realistic, if you download I think I added the SDK along with it so you can see the source for it as well (Includes PSD).

SamuraiGuy

It's too bad most of the modders here don't bother to do anything with the bump maps. Even NT didn't bother with a proper bump map for the "neo Dante" shirt.

Bubbleberry

Does anyone know a tutorial for creating bump maps? Or feel like making one? And what's the recommended program?

Does anyone know a tutorial for creating bump maps? Or feel like making one? And what's the recommended program?
I didn't watch before sending lol but it seems to show you how to do Simple bump maps. Although he seems to mess with blur settings and stuff so you may want to Google for a better technique.​

Bubbleberry

I didn't watch before sending lol but it seems to show you how to do Simple bump maps. Although he seems to mess with blur settings and stuff so you may want to Google for a better technique.​

It looks useful. But wouldnt what he did cover the original textures?

Top Bottom