• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Dante got cheated

Gel

When the going gets tough, the tough get going
Premium
1. when did yamato first appear?
When you got to play with Sparda costume in DMC1. Apparently it was forged at Sparda request.

2. when did yamato's exclusive features first told?
DMC3 in game files, but very superficially.Only in DMC4 Yamato went "up to eleven")

3. the exact solid canon about when the swords was given to the sons of sparda
Can't answer, really!This is a " Your mile may vary " type of situation.

absolitude

the devil is not as black as he painted
When you got to play with Sparda costume in DMC1. Apparently it was forged at Sparda request.

we get to play with sparda costume? oh wow, the things i missed.. and oh, so yamato is actually really significant in dmc, to already exist even before they come up with rebellion

DMC3 in game files, but very superficially.Only in DMC4 Yamato went "up to eleven"

so when they decided to do a prequel, yamato gets more treatment and established --even if it's only hinted in files.. and in 4 it really did went up to eleven..

and yeah, let's ignore the canon for now, lol.. the way i see it, the game changed focus to vergil when they started dmc3, and continued to 4 even more with them creating nero as vergil's son and the story having significant use of yamato.. devs probably liked yamato more since it's represents their culture.. and ofc vergil is way cooler than dante and he is the typical japanese cool..

yep, dante got cheated by the writers..

Gel

Premium
and yeah, let's ignore the canon for now, lol.. the way i see it, the game changed focus to vergil when they started dmc3, and continued to 4 even more with them creating nero as vergil's son and the story having significant use of yamato.. devs probably liked yamato more since it's represents their culture.. and ofc vergil is way cooler than dante and he is the typical japanese cool..
Maybe they prefer Yamato, but they don't like Vergil that much. Apparently Kobayashi is not fond of Vergil and ( in the artbook) they say Vergil has no fans.
If they really liked Vergil, they would give him a background story and not "eliminated" him soon after DMC3.They are just over obsessed with Nero's character.
Yamato only "acquired" new powers to make Nero shine.

absolitude

Maybe they prefer Yamato, but they don't like Vergil that much. Apparently Kobayashi is not fond of Vergil and ( in the artbook) they say Vergil has no fans.
If they really liked Vergil, they would give him a background story and not "eliminated" him soon after DMC3.They are just over obsessed with Nero's character.
Yamato only "acquired" new powers to make Nero shine.

not fond of vergil and give shine to nero?????? what blasphemy that kobayashi.. but yeah, you got a point with them ditching vergil as soon after 3, it was the yamato that actually got the spotlight instead of the wielder..

Reactions: Gel

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
not fond of vergil and give shine to nero?????? what blasphemy that kobayashi

Don't worry, they now know. Actually they already knew Vergil was popular back in the DMC3SE days, which is why they made him playable. They've always known, it's just Kobayashi who's got ham covering his eyes.

Gel

Premium
Don't worry, they now know. Actually they already knew Vergil was popular back in the DMC3SE days, which is why they made him playable. They've always known, it's just Kobayashi who's got ham covering his eyes.
I know this is a little off topic, but if Vergil was popular, his popularity lowered considerably after what was done to him in DMC4/DMC4SE.People in the net prefer to remember him how he WAS in DMC3, so those rumors about DMC4SE low sales could be true.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
but if Vergil was popular, his popularity lowered considerably after what was done to him in DMC4/DMC4SE.

On which basis do you say this? I haven't seen examples of this anywhere.

Yes people were disappointed about no campaign for Vergil, but that didn't decrease his popularity as a character itself. The opposite happened, in fact. Since DMC4SE's release, God knows how many times I've seen people asking Capcom out loud to make a Vergil solo game.

I dunno which DMC related places you frequent, but I've been on GameFAQ, Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, Steam, NeoGaf, and people seem to increasingly want a Vergil game. I don't see his popularity decreased at all, let alone decreased "considerably".

Last edited:

absolitude

yeah to be honest i'm disappointed with how vergil looked in 4se, his built should look more like nero instead of dante since he's supposed to be dmc3 vergil there..

but that won't make the fandom towards him lessen, the gameplay was cool and fun and very approachable, which some would hate, and no campaign is just a matter of let down, but at least we get to have a taste of vergil again.. and now we want a decent game of him

okay back to topic, nyuk nyuk nyuk

Gel

Premium
On which basis do you say this? I haven't seen examples of this anywhere.

Yes people were disappointed about no campaign for Vergil, but that didn't decrease his popularity as a character itself. The opposite happened, in fact. Since DMC4SE's release, God knows how many times I've seen people asking Capcom out loud to make a Vergil solo game.

I dunno which DMC related places you frequent, but I've been on GameFAQ, Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, Steam, NeoGaf, and people seem to increasingly want a Vergil game. I don't see his popularity decreased at all, let alone decreased "considerably".
You are probably talking about gameplay fans, but DMC can't only hold itself on gameplay, for it has competitors at its level.
Now the more prominent question is:how will Capcom do it if Vergil is dead and rotten?He lost his body and his weapon.To have this it would imply a prequel, but people are tired of prequels; they want DMC story to progress.As much we will get another lovey dovey story with Nero trying to become a Vergil2.0 or/and a Dante 2.0.
As for Yamato, I'm still trying to figure out how it can wipe out Darkness as Darkness is its element.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
You are probably talking about gameplay fans

No. I'm talking about the general public, not only "gameplay fans", whatever connotation you wanna give to that expression. In all of those places I mentioned, the vast majority of people request a Vergil game cause they like him, some even more than Dante and you can bet more than Nero. Those few who say nay are those who already didn't like him to begin with, for the most part.

how will Capcom do it if Vergil is dead and rotten?

Already talked a lot about it in a previous thread, not even that long ago. Let's avoid exhuming the same topics all the time.

As for Yamato, I'm still trying to figure out how it can wipe out Darkness as Darkness is its element.

Ain't hard to figure out. It's got control over it, so it can do whatever it wants with it.

Gel

Premium
No. I'm talking about the general public, not only "gameplay fans", whatever connotation you wanna give to that expression.
There's no hidden meaning in what I said, believe it or not.

some even more than Dante a
This is true, but only few individuals. A considerable portion of people who say to like Vergil are the ones who hate Dante.

you can bet more than Nero.
People are already asking Nero to get killed and to disappear as a whole from the franchise.Fans want to get ride of him.

Ain't hard to figure out. It's got control over it, so it can do whatever it wants with it.
But does it absorb Darkness from other beings?Is it the sword who hold it inside or it's wielder who becomes drenched in that Darkness?
I ask this because DMC3 files describes Vergil as a warrior who has fallen from grace.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
Yamato can open/close Hell-gates, and that means the weapon has a control over them; that control also means a 'power' over them. Power and control are characteristic traits of Vergil's, and therefore he probably picked Yamato as his weapon of choice.

Dante is laid back and not interested in going on some "power-trip". His laid back, non-caring, and cocky attitude are also traits of being rebellious (or a 'rebel'), therefore he wields Rebellion. It's still a powerful sword, and maybe there's more to it that we still don't know about. Either way, I'd say they were left the swords by their father, Sparda, and they each decided which one to wield.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
There's no hidden meaning in what I said, believe it or not.

The "you" I used was not referred to you specifically, it was the kind of "you" you use when you wanna talk generally. ...Like now.

Damn I hate English sometimes.

This is true, but only few individuals.

Which is why I said "some". The main point of Vergil being a largely liked character remains.

People are already asking Nero to get killed and to disappear as a whole from the franchise.Fans want to get ride of him.

LOL I know. Ain't news, either.

But does it absorb Darkness from other beings?Is it the sword who hold it inside or it's wielder who becomes drenched in that Darkness?

Pretty sure it's a property of the blade itself. Then, it's up to the user to be able to use it as best as he can, and it would only make sense that dark individuals can use it better than others. Which is most likely why Vergil can do things with it that Dante can't, aside from the pure skill difference.

Gel

Premium
The "you" I used was not referred to you specifically, it was the kind of "you" you use when you wanna talk generally. ...Like now.
I was using the term very casually, like the fans who care about gameplay quality, but are whatever for story or character's background.It is just a matter of choice, no hidden meaning here.:smile:
LOL I know. Ain't news, either.
Don't worry! Even if I like the boy, I feel no necessity of knowing anything more about him. Funny enough he was created to replace Dante and Vergil( Dante was no more fun and Vergil was even less interesting, if we were to believe in Kobayashi/ artbook) and DMC team was fanatical about him, at the point of refusing to work in future DMC games if the focus isn't Nero.
Pretty sure it's a property of the blade itself. Then, it's up to the user to be able to use it as best as he can, and it would only make sense that dark individuals can use it better than others. Which is most likely why Vergil can do things with it that Dante can't, aside from the pure skill difference.
So that means Papa Sparda already knew one of his heirs( the first born, in this case) would be evil and corrupted. Funny how the key for humanity's disgrace was given to the fallen one, as if Sparda knew that the fact of one of twins would kill the other was inevitable.

absolitude

and they each decided which one to wield.

which one do you mean? the weapon decided the wielder or the boys decided which one to wield? if it's the latter, i like this idea verymuch, in a way, sparda just made the two sword and he let the boys to pick which one.. one sword has the power and greater feats which had great responsibilty put into it, and one other sword is --i don't know rebellion's feat cept that it's a huge signature sword with a cool name..

sparda let the boys choose, but if this is how it went, did sparda tell the boys that one of the sword holds great responsibility that sparda let the wielder decide his/it's own fate?

you use it for good, nice, you use it for bad, whatever, i've an awesome legend built around me anyway, "adieu kids, have fun with them swords"

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
So that means Papa Sparda already knew one of his heirs( the first born, in this case) would be evil and corrupted. Funny how the key for humanity's disgrace was given to the fallen one

That is only if Papa Sparda actually gave them the swords, instead of them just picking them up for themselves once he's dead. Which is most likely the case, since apparently Sparda died before Dante and Vergil even were born.

And besides, the fact that dark individuals can use it better is merely a consequence of the affinity between the wielder and the weapon, Sparda's will to give the swords to either of his sons doesn't have anything to do with it. And, Yamato isn't the "key for humanity's disgrace" in itself. It's got both the power of opening and closing Hell Gates.

Gel

Premium
That is only if Papa Sparda actually gave them the swords, instead of them just picking them up for themselves once he's dead. Which is most likely the case, since apparently Sparda died before Dante and Vergil even were born.
It depends: if you accept Anime as canon, Sparda knew them very well.
And besides, the fact that dark individuals can use it better is merely a consequence of the affinity between the wielder and the weapon, Sparda's will to give the swords to either of his sons doesn't have anything to do with it. And, Yamato isn't the "key for humanity's disgrace" in itself. It's got both the power of opening and closing Hell Gates.
Yes, but in a dark individual's hands it would cause disgrace not only to the humanity but to its wielder too.

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
It makes me laugh trying to imagine chibi Dante and Vergil trying to swing these huge swords. :D

Argh, it's one of the most interesting scenes in the series history! Why won't Capcom show the twins' origins? I'd love to see Dante starting out, even if it was in a novel or something.

Gel

Premium
It makes me laugh trying to imagine chibi Dante and Vergil trying to swing these huge swords. :D

Argh, it's one of the most interesting scenes in the series history! Why won't Capcom show the twins' origins? I'd love to see Dante starting out, even if it was in a novel or something.
There was a comic sometime ago where you can have a deja vu of the twins fighting as children, but they still didn't have those swords.

Top Bottom