• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Dante got cheated

Gray Knight

It makes me laugh trying to imagine chibi Dante and Vergil trying to swing these huge swords. :D
reminds me of this little image
chibi_vergil_dante_and_nero_by_veggwhale.png

I liked that DmC at least tried to allude to their childhood in DMC original Canon Yamato does seem to be a bit more powerful but in DmC canon I see Dante having the better weapon (shapeshifting omniweapon basically versus a sword with various auras).

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
I liked that DmC at least tried to allude to their childhood in DMC original Canon Yamato does seem to be a bit more powerful but in DmC canon I see Dante having the better weapon (shapeshifting omniweapon basically versus a sword with various auras).

Keep in mind that in DMC 1 (when Dante defeats Nelo Angelo and picks up his brother's amulet), we hear his mother's voice talking to him and his brother when they were kids. It makes me think that Eva was on her own with the children and allowed them to use the swords left by their father, Sparda. It's not mentioned that this is the case, but I like to think that it was, and it's clear they were quite close one time as a family.

It's also worth noting that DmC's Yamato also has the ability to control Hell-gates.

absolitude

the devil is not as black as he painted
I think he refers to when Vergil shuts the Gate with Yamato.

we talked about this before if i'm not mistaken, but i agreed backthen that we don't know that.. the aim was to distract mundus and get him away from the hell gate, with the advantage of mundus not knowing vergil's existence as son of sparda, meaning no other way for them but to make dante the bait..

unless it's clearly said, all we can take from that is that it's just how the role was taken..

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
They never did say why it can close the Hell Gate did they?

I always assumed it shared the ability to cut through space that the original had. Therefore Vergil didn't "close" the Hell Gate so much as severed Mundus' connection to Hell, forcing the Gate to collapse. Or at least that's how it happened in my mind.

absolitude

@absolitude:

1:40 - 1:43, "You lure him out, and I close the hell-gate with Yamato".

http://devilmaycry.wikia.com/wiki/Yamato_(DmC)

"Like its classic counterpart, the Yamato has the ability to act as a key to Hell-gates".

GoDDD!@%!@5$%*#^@^#^..

i'm hating this kind of story telling, it's not told specifically in the game just in wikis stuffs, but maybe yeah, since the original canon already mentioned what yamato can do, gamers were expected that yamato behaves the same in DmC..

and this line "you lure him out, and i close the hell gate with yamato", gosh, nothing special about the yamato in that line, it's like "you lure him out, and i close the hell gate with banana", like anything can close the hell gate..

They never did say why it can close the Hell Gate did they?

I always assumed it shared the ability to cut through space that the original had. Therefore Vergil didn't "close" the Hell Gate so much as severed Mundus' connection to Hell, forcing the Gate to collapse. Or at least that's how it happened in my mind.

that's exactly what happened in my mind too..

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
and this line "you lure him out, and i close the hell gate with yamato", gosh, nothing special about the yamato in that line, it's like "you lure him out, and i close the hell gate with banana", like anything can close.
Maybe that's the case. Maybe hell gates in this universe are only conduits for their users to gain power instead of being full on portals to hell that DMC had. Without the user using its power, it's just a power source that can be shut down.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
Mundus was drawing his power out from the Hell-gate (I remember TxA telling me it had something to do with Mundus' soul residing in Hell - therefore 'unreachable'), and when Vergil closed the Hell-gate with Yamato it cut off that connection. At least, I think it was something like that.

Anyway, it's not a long stretch to say Yamato in DmC does open/close Hell-gates, considering Vergil even says he'll close it with Yamato. That and the fact that we already know it could do that in DMC, and I don't doubt they intended it to for DmC also.

absolitude

Maybe that's the case. Maybe hell gates in this universe are only conduits for their users to gain power instead of being full on portals to hell that DMC had. Without the user using its power, it's just a power source that can be shut down.

yeah this too, this is how i see it too, it's a different kind of hell gate, i remember the line where mundus draw power from it, so basically like you said, it's more like power source.. but then again, what was collapsing limbo to merge with human realm? mundus' defeat or hell gate shut down? i think this goes for another topic.. eh, gonna play the game again..

Mundus was drawing his power out from the Hell-gate (I remember TxA telling me it had something to do with Mundus' soul residing in Hell - therefore 'unreachable'), and when Vergil closed the Hell-gate with Yamato it cut off that connection. At least, I think it was something like that.

Anyway, it's not a long stretch to say Yamato in DmC does open/close Hell-gates, considering Vergil even says he'll close it with Yamato. That and the fact that we already know it could do that in DMC, and I don't doubt they intended it to for DmC also.

yes, it's about the physical body, with the hell gate shutdown, the physical body can't draw power from hell, so it's considerably mortal by nephilim standard..

i guess we go with your say, the original canon has it, so it should go the same route.. but DmC is actually irrelevant to discuss this topic, it only has one title with dante and rebellion getting more of the spotlight here, yamato was not touched at all even in VD, using only the line "i'm going to close it down with yamato" won't do justice..

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
i guess we go with your say, the original canon has it, so it should go the same route.. but DmC is actually irrelevant to discuss this topic, it only has one title with dante and rebellion getting more of the spotlight here, yamato was not touched at all even in VD, using only the line "i'm going to close it down with yamato" won't do justice..

Actually the only reason I mentioned DmC in the first place was because others brought it up. And since DmC follows the same principle - Dante with Rebellion, and Vergil with Yamato - I wouldn't say it's irrelevant. After all, the point is to discuss why Dante ended up with Rebellion when Yamato is being considered as 'the better' sword out of the two.

absolitude

Actually the only reason I mentioned DmC in the first place was because others brought it up. And since DmC follows the same principle - Dante with Rebellion, and Vergil with Yamato - I wouldn't say it's irrelevant. After all, the point is to discuss why Dante ended up with Rebellion when Yamato is being considered as 'the better' sword out of the two.

but that's exactly it LoD, there's no 'yamato is the better sword in DmC', because it's barely touched there, thus the main reason i'm calling it irrelevant..

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
@absolitude: That wasn't my point. DmC's Yamato was mentioned by someone else;

in DmC canon I see Dante having the better weapon (shapeshifting omniweapon basically versus a sword with various auras).

That's why I said that Yamato can also apparently control Hell-gates in DmC. It was besides the main point, but still relevant to mention that it works the same way in both Devil May Cry's.

absolitude

@absolitude: That wasn't my point. DmC's Yamato was mentioned by someone else;

That's why I said that Yamato can also apparently control Hell-gates in DmC. It was besides the main point, but still relevant to mention that it works the same way in both Devil May Cry's.

well anyway just to be clear, when i said DmC isn't relevant to the topic, i didn't mean it to you, just overall to the topic itself..

devil_inside123

The devil in the dark
I have no idea what other worldly abilities rebellion has shown other than unlocking Dantes DT, and I don't mean gameplay wise

Sparda's rejected son

For Edenoi!
Premium
Supporter 2014
Well considering that in DMC1 both the Alastor Sword AND the Yamato sword become/becomes the Sparda sword... I'd say ya, Dante got the bad end of the stick. Rebellion was what he had left over in his office. (Kind of says a lot when he dropped the sword for Alastor, only to pick Rebellion back up for DMC4 and 2)

Note: The Sparda costume in DMC1 uses the Yamato blade as the basic sword. It transforms into the Sparda sword upon entering DT mode. (Because that makes sense!)

Gel

When the going gets tough, the tough get going
Premium
Another thing:
When Dante's sword was not Rebellion but Force Edge, that sword had a special connection to Dante.
In DMC1 novel Dante mentions how he used to hold that sword (even when he was a child) and how that sword seemed to "talk" to him ( in his unconscious mind ).
But them again this was Kamiya's canon, so it probably went down the drain too.

absolitude

Another thing:
When Dante's sword was not Rebellion but Force Edge, that sword had a special connection to Dante.
In DMC1 novel Dante mentions how he used to hold that sword (even when he was a child) and how that sword seemed to "talk" to him ( in his unconscious mind ).
But them again this was Kamiya's canon, so it probably went down the drain too.

how many writers have been involved in the DMC games? i suppose each title has different writers?

Top Bottom