• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Dante Killing Humans

devil_inside123

The devil in the dark
This is a repost of a thread of mine that got a little out of hand but thanks to it i know the perfect scenerio to bring forth. In the anime its pretty established that dante doesnt kill humans. Not sure if this is an anime only thing or if he genuinely refuses to kill a fullblooded human who has no demon powers. Dante doesnt seem altruistic enough to get himself involved in human affairs like wars they arent directly in his way so it makes sense we Havent seen him kill any but if he did see an exceptionally bad human like hitler would he kill him? And if not would it be because he doesnt care at all about what humans do to other humans or would he want to but just not kill him because he has a no killing rule for humans? This would be aleviated a bit if we knew wether or not he knew the people of fortuna were demonic by that point because all we know he knew for sure was that it was a cult of humans collecting devil arms to open gates and possibly that they had yamato. First thing he does though is bust a cap in sanctus with no hesitation. This offers 3 scenerios. He knew before arriving in fortuna that they werent human anymore. Figured it out once he arrived. Or didnt notice until after hed already went rambo on the church and just happened to notice before nero so he could Point it out to him. In the case of option 3 itd be pretty easy to say his no killing rule is anime only. Id also like to note that based off nero trying to kill the bianco angelo in 4 that he doesnt have this rule at all as he didnt know the suit was empty until after he killed it

Steve

Fearfully and wonderfully made
Admin
Hmm. The Sanctus assassination has thrown me. I would have said that the games do honour Dante's 'no killing humans' rule, but that throws a spanner in the works! Maybe... nope, I got nothing.

devil_inside123

The devil in the dark
Hmm. The Sanctus assassination has thrown me. I would have said that the games do honour Dante's 'no killing humans' rule, but that throws a spanner in the works! Maybe... nope, I got nothing.
I had totally forgotten that sanctus hadnt even acheived his acension ceremony until after dante killed him. Unless he was like the guards and despite not having gone total demon yet hed already passed over the line enough for dante to include him in his war on demons. Would make a bit of sense if that was the case as the order knew to keep his (supposedly) dead body bedridden instead of burying him whatever other cermonies the normally do upon death in fortuna. It seems they were in fact just waiting for him to wake up and unless angnus did something to him after he had died and forced an acension on him to save him then i guess it makes sense that hed be considered a demon. He had already crosses that line

Picard

Starfleet Demon
I had always thought that Sanctus was already demon at that time, and that was why Dante failed to kill him and why he got revived?

Vergil95

Might controls everything, and without strength, y
I had always thought that Sanctus was already demon at that time, and that was why Dante failed to kill him and why he got revived?
Yeah if I remember right in the novel they say it already have some demon power before dante killed him

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
The games don't contradict it so its hard to say. Because I came in with 3 I always saw Dante as a but if an anti-hero so maybe he would?

In the first light novel, he was a mercenary before becoming a demon hunter so you'd assume he did before. But I don't think he actually does. Plus it was rendered noncanon because of 3. 5 references it through Nico's last name and Morrison's files but thats about it.

So maybe?

devil_inside123

The devil in the dark
Yeah if I remember right in the novel they say it already have some demon power before dante killed him
Yeah but did dante know that? And if so how because we saw his briefing for the mission and lady never told him they had become demons only that they were a cult that collected devil arms for gates

Vergil95

Yeah but did dante know that? And if so how because we saw his briefing for the mission and lady never told him they had become demons only that they were a cult that collected devil arms for gates
Dante can sense a demons from miles away, was also proved many other times

For example in the first episode of dmc anime, dante enter a bar and begin to kill human people out of nowhere because he can sense they are actually demon, the only time dante failed to sense a demon was whit dmc anime antagonist SID, Infact SID himself say his power are so weak that he his more weak than an actual human, so dante himself can be tricked into thinking he his a human

Or when he sensed that Nero was vergil son right from the start

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium

In addition to what was said above, it's only common sense to think that Trish told him off screen, after all she had already entered their inner circle at that point.

Hungry Alien

I think it's more complicated than a strict "no killing human" rule. In DMC, it has been established that being born human or demon doesn't define how you will act in your life, and Dante learned it in DMC 3 with Arkham who, despite being born human, act like a power obsessed murderer. Same goes for Trish, which was willing to torture and kill Dante at first, but changed her way after Dante saved her to honor his mother's figure.

I will add that lesser demons seems to have no mind and act based on primal instinct. That would explain why Dante is ok with shooting lesser demons without warning. For him, they aren't "people", but more like dangerous animals that doesn't belong in the human world. But with an unknow process, a demon can have a consciousness like many boss in the games (Goliath, Nevan, Beowulf, Cerberus, etc). I said unknow process because some of the powerful demons seems to lacks this (Geryon, Nightmare) and some weak demons have one (Nidhogg). That means that if the demon show sign of a mind to Dante, he might spare him. An exemple of this was Berial in DMC 4, where Dante offered to let him retreat after hearing that Berial was fighting to avenge what he considered his citizens slayed by Dante and even admitted his defeat.

This topic would be an awesome thing to developp in the future of the serie. We never saw how demons live in the Underworld, and if there is any demons trying to follow the path Sparda took. This would be cool to witness how demons works : how they can be such a variety of demons, and how they developp their power (I love the entry of the Fury in DMC 5 which states that it was probably a Riot first and evolved to developp his speed only by his desire to hunt better and faster). Then show how a society developped around this, and how it actually work.

Morgan

Premium
Xen-Ace 2021

For example in the first episode of dmc anime, dante enter a bar and begin to kill human people out of nowhere because he can sense they are actually demon, the only time dante failed to sense a demon was whit dmc anime antagonist SID, Infact SID himself say his power are so weak that he his more weak than an actual human, so dante himself can be tricked into thinking he his a human

You basically said Dante can sense demons except when it's actually sensible for him to use that skill, but since it'd otherwise prevent the plot from happening, he's an idiot that can't sense a damn thing. You also forgot King, who he played into the hands of to lure the demon out even though it was the exact same woman that walked into his office to give him the job in the first place.

Last edited:

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
I feel that Dante has no problem with killing humans, but prefers not to because it's too much of a mess. Humans leave corpses, DNA, and clues that could lead back to him. Demons (for the most part) evaporate or disintegrate after an amount of time that wipes away anything for authorities to trace.
Since he once was a mercenary, he's most likely killed humans in the past when the situation specifically asked for it. However, it was probably rare.

windleopard

In that episode, he mentioned that he had heard rumors of people being killed in that bar. So it seems likely he investigated and found out they were actually demons rather than immediately sensing they were demons.

And Nero being Vergil's son was obvious to anyone with half a functioning brain.

Vergil95

In that episode, he mentioned that he had heard rumors of people being killed in that bar. So it seems likely he investigated and found out they were actually demons rather than immediately sensing they were demons.

And Nero being Vergil's son was obvious to anyone with half a functioning brain.
Yeah dante heard rumor but obviously he know those people where demons as soon as he entered the bar

Also nope, dante say in the devil may cry 4 novel that he sensed that Nero was vergil son, it's like his soul was in resonance whit nero s one or something like that

Last edited:

BlackAngel

When it comes to Dante's feelings, views, and experiences with humanity. The story should focus on his childhood and possibly to look at his dark past that made him the man he is today. They should've start from after the death of Dante's mother, when a man named Ernest (I think that's his name from the anime) and have a back story starts off as Ernest and Dante as children who are trying to survive, after the demons massacred townspeople. But in the aftermath of the massacre, the surviving townspeople found demonic symbols around the door. So the townspeople started purging those who are suspected to be demon worshippers. I would make it as horrifying and disturbing as possible, to depict that humans are just as capable of evil as demons. While Dante and Ernest are trying to escape to the city, but they've been stopped by a mob of men with torches and pikes.

Dante fought one of them and tell Ernest to go to the city without him. The mob began to impale him that left Dante incapacitated. But they found that he's still alive that that made them afraid of him, so they tie him on a pole with wood and burning him alive with their torches. While a preacher reads the rites and preaching to the mob, men and women who witnessed a child burning alive are cheering.

That's when Dante's demonic blood awakened him and he broke free from the pyre. He was in a rage like state, and he starting brutality dismembering dozens of men with his bare hands. And when the people were fleeing in horror, he even killed unarmed men and women who were witnessing burning Dante alive. No one is left alive after Dante slaughtered everyone. That would also explained why he doesn't care for humans in DMC3 when they were slaughtered by demons. But at the same time, doesn't want to embrace his demonic heritage because he doesn't want to become the demon who killed his mother in front of his eyes.

Top Bottom