• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Dante sparda parallels/DMC1 retread

devil_inside123

The devil in the dark
Is it just me or does this game thematically feel very similar to 1. Probably because from at least what I've seen 5 tries to parallel Dante to sparda in the same way 1 does to the pint of lessening previous events. Let me explain
1;Dante is approached by a mysterious person coming to his shop with a job. Dante is nonchalant about said job until said person explains to Dante how this demon is connected to his past, coincidentally both urizen and mundus ate the fruit, making them pretty much parallels to each other. The initial questgiver turns out to be connected to the big bad and Dante gains the true power of sparda to defeat said big bad (or in dmc5's case the true TRUE power of sparda) DMC 1 was meant to be Dante accomplishing what his father did in a hyper condensed manner. But apparently that wasn't clear enough because now, sparda was the lengendary dark knight? Well Dante's the legendary devil's hunter, sparda had a semi organic looking sword named after him? Well now so does Dante. Sparda beat demon king mundus? Dante beat demon king urizen (only sealed mundus) soon enough Dante will have two sons of his own fighting over HIS sword and power

berto

I Saw the Devil
Is it just me or does this game thematically feel very similar to 1
Honestly? No.

I see the parallels much more in 1 than in 5. But in 1 the journey is almost beat for beat. Dante uses the same sword to beat the same devil king, he turns into the mirror image of his father to battle him, seals the demon king away, just like his father did, arguably ends up with a woman that looks like the one that his father ended up with and even ends by implying that his son will perform the same task when the time comes as him and his father before him have. Trish even calls him 'the legendary dark knight, Dante.'

Yeah, you can make the connections with 5, as you clearly have, but it's rather unlikely that those were the intentions of the actual narrative. That that was their intent of the story. There are far more parallels with to 3 than 1 when it comes to story beats, just with Nero as the actual lead.

devil_inside123

The devil in the dark
Honestly? No.

I see the parallels much more in 1 than in 5. But in 1 the journey is almost beat for beat. Dante uses the same sword to beat the same devil king, he turns into the mirror image of his father to battle him, seals the demon king away, just like his father did, arguably ends up with a woman that looks like the one that his father ended up with and even ends by implying that his son will perform the same task when the time comes as him and his father before him have. Trish even calls him 'the legendary dark knight, Dante.'

Yeah, you can make the connections with 5, as you clearly have, but it's rather unlikely that those were the intentions of the actual narrative. That that was their intent of the story. There are far more parallels with to 3 than 1 when it comes to story beats, just with Nero as the actual lead.
Oh really? Care to Make those connections? It saying they aren't there it just seems while there are some 5 was more to subvert it than parallel it. Id love to hear to expand your thoughts as your one of the few people on here who give lengthy replies

berto

I Saw the Devil
Yeah. Ok.
For one there are the obvious ones:
16:38
Dante fights Vergil 3 times, fought Mundus once. Last boss fight with Vergil is basically the same as in 3 but with a bit of DmC thrown in the mix. The jumping down to the underworld at the end, except that Dante joins him this time. Impalement caused this new power surge, while in 1 it wasn't the impalement, it was the weapon itself, as getting lit on fire by ifrit didn't cause him to get new powers, either, it was the weapon. As you can see, the scene even has visual similarities to 3. Nero and Lady from 3 have a similar situation involving their fathers, if we're talking parallels, which I wouldn't bring up otherwise because they're probably not intentional.
There's also the fact that it is Vergil. The entire story is about him. He wasn't that central a figure in 1, anymore than Phantom or Griffon were.

devil_inside123

The devil in the dark
Yeah. Ok.
For one there are the obvious ones:
16:38
Dante fights Vergil 3 times, fought Mundus once. Last boss fight with Vergil is basically the same as in 3 but with a bit of DmC thrown in the mix. The jumping down to the underworld at the end, except that Dante joins him this time. Impalement caused this new power surge, while in 1 it wasn't the impalement, it was the weapon itself, as getting lit on fire by ifrit didn't cause him to get new powers, either, it was the weapon. As you can see, the scene even has visual similarities to 3. Nero and Lady from 3 have a similar situation involving their fathers, if we're talking parallels, which I wouldn't bring up otherwise because they're probably not intentional.
There's also the fact that it is Vergil. The entire story is about him. He wasn't that central a figure in 1, anymore than Phantom or Griffon were.
Yeah but you can't deny that Dante's feats came oddly close to spardas this game. In a way giving Dante his own legend that's not just accomplishing what his father did. If it wasn't intentional I don't see why they'd call urizen the demon king or have Dante create a sword that's directly supposed to be the successors of sparda in that it's called the NEW legendary devil sword. I know it's not as one for one as 1 was but I don't think it was supposed to. While 1 was literally Dante following in his father's footsteps this feels like it's Dante truly coming into his own in the same way while at the same time having his own legend in that it's not exactly what sparda did

Top Bottom