• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Dante's past....

Status
Not open for further replies.

AhrXSnow

How come we never get to see Dante grow up into his badass self? I mean sure in the manga it's shown how his mom (And Virgil) was murdered by demons then what he just hid from them?..dante was shown as just a kid but we never got to see him grow up into his fine cool character..:( i wish they would show how he became into a devil hunter..:p

Asmodaius

I think that is what this new DmC is about, from what we've seen so far.
The reboot will be an origin story of Dante which means it will show some sort of evolvement.

Ebony

Dante enthusiast!
Premium
^ Yeah, pretty much what Asmodaius said. I just hope they get it right and don't screw it up for the fans - doesn't this sentence just sum up what everyone is fretting about since seeing the trailer. :D

RedRose

Kael
I have faith, i'm pretty excited actualy. the trailer in general was actualy pretty cool the way fighting scenes were set up.

Dante'sgirl

Forever For Dante
I just hope that Dante's past is as exciting as his present...If reboot is going to dive in the past events then the game should be interesting as I am always ready to learn more about Dante...

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
Is it stupid of me to hope for some more treats about Sparda in this upcoming DMC game? ._.
Anyway, I assumed that they would touch on Dante's past in the game since they're retelling his origins eg. taking what we know from the manga, canon novels and games (and comic, I hope) about Dante's time as a child, and turning it into visual graphics for us. With some extra twists added in to heat things up. Things I'd like to know is, as AhrXSnow said, what happened to Dante after his mother and Vergil were killed. He was a kid so you'd guess he was automatically taken to an orphanage, having no other living relatives, but I'm hoping they give us something more than just that in the game (they can dig deeper and show us more about that in the flashbacks and stuff of his past, as I'm sure they will, considering the trailer). And I'd also like to know exactly how he'd come about to gaining Rebellion, which by the looks of the trailer, he hasn't gotten hold of yet.

...can't WAIT for this game!!!!

Asmodaius

Master Vergil;280359 said:
Is it stupid of me to hope for some more treats about Sparda in this upcoming DMC game? ._.
Anyway, I assumed that they would touch on Dante's past in the game since they're retelling his origins eg. taking what we know from the manga, canon novels and games (and comic, I hope) about Dante's time as a child, and turning it into visual graphics for us. With some extra twists added in to heat things up. Things I'd like to know is, as AhrXSnow said, what happened to Dante after his mother and Vergil were killed. He was a kid so you'd guess he was automatically taken to an orphanage, having no other living relatives, but I'm hoping they give us something more than just that in the game (they can dig deeper and show us more about that in the flashbacks and stuff of his past, as I'm sure they will, considering the trailer). And I'd also like to know exactly how he'd come about to gaining Rebellion, which by the looks of the trailer, he hasn't gotten hold of yet.

...can't WAIT for this game!!!!

Well, the thing is, this is a reboot. The past games, the animé, the novels, manga etc - they never happened in DmC. There might be elements from them, but as far as we know, this Dante could have gotten his demonic powers by being bitten by a spider (Phantom, perhaps? ;P ).

All in all, the reboot is a total do-over. Why do you think there are so many raging fans out there? Because this DmC deviates from what they know and love.

We just have to wait and see...

V

Oldschool DMC fan
^ But NT have basically said that this game is supposed to explain how the Dante we know becomes who he is. So they can't just discard everything from the canon and they've said as much themselves that they won't.

moseslmpg

They haven't shown it for the same reason that they didn't write about Jesus' childhood: It was boring and irrelevant.

If they just populate Dante's life with all these crazy events in a uniform manner, it makes him far less believable than he already is in DMC4. Presumably, just like everyone else, his life is not eventful every moment of the day. Some days he doesn't do anything except watch TV and eat a sundae, and sometimes he goes and sits on the toilet, and sometimes he might just sleep the whole day. The whole point of DMC1 was that it was basically the climax of Dante's life, and DMC3 was thr turning point from his old life to his new life.

I'm not saying that what he did before that mght not be interesting, just that whatever the case, it is pretty irrelevant. If they have to scrutinize every moment in his individual life, then maye they should just consider moving on to another character *cough*vergil*cough* who still has some significant events ahead of them.

Tony

Demonslayer
you can say the same things about Vergil, his Climax was in DMC1 and how he becomes a slave of Mundus was explained in DMC3.... so what?
Sorry for being so rude, but to assume Dante to have a boring life is... umm assuming ^^

There are many questions about his past. When I started with DMC3 I was wondering how he managed to have his own business, because he looked like a teenager of 16 and not like someone serious enough to be on his own...
So it could be very interesting to learn something about his past.

moseslmpg

Tony;280483 said:
you can say the same things about Vergil, his Climax was in DMC1 and how he becomes a slave of Mundus was explained in DMC3.... so what?
Sorry for being so rude, but to assume Dante to have a boring life is... umm assuming ^^
The majority of Vergil's story is untold. On top the fact that he is missing the same chunk from his background as Dante is missing, we also know very little about what happened to him in Hell for the next 10 years, and then what happened after that. So you could say the same things about Vergil, if you were deliberately being ignorant or just a Vergil hater in general.
There are many questions about his past. When I started with DMC3 I was wondering how he managed to have his own business, because he looked like a teenager of 16 and not like someone serious enough to be on his own...
So it could be very interesting to learn something about his past.
Some questions aren't meant to be answered. Bringing everything into the spotlight will do nothing to make Dante interesting, because it will either overexpose him or it will just show us all the irrelevant boring bits no one cares about. This is why they don't show people doing regular boring stuff in movies, because it defeats the purpose of having a movie, which is to show you something you don't see everyday.

Now, let me clarify that I'm not saying that showing that chunk of Dante's life is bad per se, but just scrutinizing every aspect of one character is beating the proverbial dead horse, especially when there are a bunch of other characters that deserve equal, if not more, attention. I don't want the next game to be about when Dante was 8 and he lived with Eva, and the next game bout that time he was babysat by that one girl, and the next game about that time Sparda had to change his diaper. It will just get stupid and make us care even less about an already unsympathetic character.

Tony

Demonslayer
moseslmpg;280522 said:
The majority of Vergil's story is untold. On top the fact that he is missing the same chunk from his background as Dante is missing, we also know very little about what happened to him in Hell for the next 10 years, and then what happened after that. So you could say the same things about Vergil, if you were deliberately being ignorant or just a Vergil hater in general.
No I'm not a Vergil hater, I love him, really!
And I agreee that there are many aspect from his life, that would be nice to feel out. It was just because you made Dantes life so unintersting, that upseted me ^^

Some questions aren't meant to be answered. Bringing everything into the spotlight will do nothing to make Dante interesting, because it will either overexpose him or it will just show us all the irrelevant boring bits no one cares about.
I agree with that too, but otherwise what will you tell about in the next DMC? a whole story about Vergil? or even worst about Nero? please dont!
DMC without Dante is not a DMC IMO

Besides, my suggestion I wrote in the Capcom-thread for DMC 5 was a story about Dante who goes back to hell to save Vergil from Mundus (and yes, I still believe he is alive lol) and at the end both are going to find Sparda... ^^

Vergil&Dante

Bring Vergil back!!!
Tony;280529 said:
Besides, my suggestion I wrote in the Capcom-thread for DMC 5 was a story about Dante who goes back to hell to save Vergil from Mundus (and yes, I still believe he is alive lol) and at the end both are going to find Sparda...

After or before DMC1?

Asmodaius

I think that this DmC should focus on Dante - not Vergil, not Nero or anyone else. As the reboot sounds like it is going to be an origin story, then Vergil should have a key role in the game, however, it would still be from Dante's point of view.

Vergil is a secondary character and though he is rather cool (I liked playing as him in the DMC3 special edition), I wouldn't want him as the lead character. Dante is the main protagonist of Devil May Cry, everyone else are secondary characters. However, I have mentioned in other threads that I would love to be able to choose from several characters and play through their part of the storyline, like they did in Sonic Adventures for example (I've just downloaded it to my PS3 ;D ). In that way, though Dante is the main character, we get to see the story from others point of view and play through other missions, much like they did in DMC2 where you could play as Lucia as well.

Lexy;280386 said:
^ But NT have basically said that this game is supposed to explain how the Dante we know becomes who he is. So they can't just discard everything from the canon and they've said as much themselves that they won't.

I'm not saying they will, however, before anything else is said, none of us can expect things to be like they are in the past DMC games. E.g. we can't be sure Sparda is Dante's father until NT actually says "Sparda is Dante's father", because this DmC is not a continuation of the past series.

With that said, then I don't believe they are totally discarding everything from the Devil May Cry that we know of. As you mentioned, NT have stated that it is an origin story and that this Dante is not that far off the Dante we know from the past games.

We just have to wait and see. ^^

Vergil&Dante

Bring Vergil back!!!
I hope they make Vergil as a playable character, and maybe Sparda too..? With their own missions and storyline.. Like they did in DMC2

Tony

Demonslayer
Vergil&Dante;280555 said:
After or before DMC1?
after.
As I said, I believe that he didn't die after Dante defeated him, he just vanished out of his sight. He was half devil and when he became Mundus slave, he was a komplete devil and devils dont die. they can be sealed somewhere and somehow, but they cannot die (my hypothesis)

I think that this DmC should focus on Dante - not Vergil, not Nero or anyone else. As the reboot sounds like it is going to be an origin story, then Vergil should have a key role in the game, however, it would still be from Dante's point of view.
exactly my opinion

Vergil&Dante

Bring Vergil back!!!
Tony;280580 said:
after.
As I said, I believe that he didn't die after Dante defeated him, he just vanished out of his sight. He was half devil and when he became Mundus slave, he was a komplete devil and devils dont die. they can be sealed somewhere and somehow, but they cannot die (my hypothesis)
What about Credo in DMC4? His body vanished away, almost like Vergil in DMC1.
I also want to believe that he ain't dead.. And isn't Sparda dead?

Vergil&Dante

Bring Vergil back!!!
Tony;280529 said:
Besides, my suggestion I wrote in the Capcom-thread for DMC 5 was a story about Dante who goes back to hell to save Vergil from Mundus (and yes, I still believe he is alive lol) and at the end both are going to find Sparda... ^^

If they are alive, than this will be good story!!
I like your idea to save Vergil!!!

Asmodaius

Vergil&Dante;280585 said:
What about Credo in DMC4? His body vanished away, almost like Vergil in DMC1.
I also want to believe that he ain't dead.. And isn't Sparda dead?

Sparda disappeared. No one knows where. Maybe he's alive, maybe he's dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom