• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Devil May Cry 4 Information Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony_Redgrave

TimeLord Detective
Basically it is a thread about all we know for the upcoming Devil May Cry 4. The idea came along with the Devil May Cry Plot threads while speaking with Mobfigurz. Those of us who visit SoS should what kind of thread that will be;)

General Information
Developer(s) Capcom
Publisher(s) Capcom
Designer(s) Hiroyuki Kobayashi (producer)
Hideaki Itsuno (director)
Yuji Shimomura (cutscene director)
Engine MT Framework
Release date(s)
Supposedly there would be a simultaneous release date for all countries at February 2007
Genre(s) Action game
Mode(s) Single player
Rating(s) ESRB: RP (Rating Pending)
Platform(s) PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, PC

DMC4 will contain MORE CONTENT than any previous game.
This means it will have more weapons, more enemies, more cut-scenes and more emphasis on story than all the previous iteration games together, and thus will be the longest DMC game so far.

The usual "ratings" that appear while battling enemies are thus far: D-Deadly, C-Carnage, B-Brutal, A-Atomic.
They were once different as C-Come on and A-All that so we knew even the S-Slamming Beat but since they changed it we don't know the S yet.

Time-line
I've seen the question before and I will try to clear that once and for all.
The time-line goes like this.

1) Devil May Cry 3 Manga. In this we see how Dante learns that Vergil is still alive after the attack that killed their mother Eva. We also learn how Vergil met Arkham and started their plan about the tower. There only two Codes.
Code 01: Dante & Code 02: Vergil.
The creator wanted to make a Code 03: Lady to show us how Arkham became a devil and how Lady started devil hunting but abandoned the idea for reasons unknown.

2) Devil May Cry 3: Dante's Awakening/Special Edition.
It features the events mentioned here.

3) Devil May Cry - The original whose events are mentioned here.

4) The upcoming Devil May Cry 4 that will discussed below.

5) Devil May Cry 2. Although there are rumors that there's going to be a remake.

Novels - Tony Redgrave - Ebony&Ivory
Also to make some other things clear. There are two novels. One is about the events before the original Devil May Cry. The mystery about Tony Redgrave can be seen there as well. I will explain it here to avoid similar questions in the future.

All of you must have noticed that in Dante's twin guns Ebony&Ivory there are some words engraved. Either "Ebony & Ivory" or "For Tony Redgrave by .45 Art Warks".

There are two reasons for that. First of all Devil May Cry was supposed to be Resident Evil 4. The hero there would be named Tony Redgrave but since the game changed so did the name.
In the novel Dante works together with other devil hunters under the alias of Tony Redgrave. By having the name he tries to avoid being seen worthy only by being the son of Sparda by the demons and keep his individuality.
Tony isn't able to keep a gun for long since his quick fingers press the trigger so fast that it breaks all the time. The owner of the place from which Dante gets them liked Tony and decided to make some ideal guns for him that would not break. The name of the shop was .45 Art Warks with Warks being a misspelled works. The owner is just to lazy to change it. So after a while Tony gets Ivory&Ebony with that engraved on them with "Ebony & Ivory" being the title of the gun-shop owner's favorite song.

Also some of you must have seen the ladies that are pictured in the guns. The pictures are supposedly women from Divine Comedy. Another theory is that the one with the black is Eva and the one with the white is Beatrice from Divine Comedy but none of those are officially admitted.

As for the storyline of the novels in general I can only give you a link since I have not read them myself.
Devil May Cry Novels
As I said they are NOT cannon so do not confuse yourselves with the real DMC plot.

Now on to

Devil May Cry 4 News

First things first the game will be available for PS3, Xbox-360 and the PC. The release date has not yet been decided but it's estimated to be at the end of this year or the start of the next one.

Characters

Dante

As usual our devil hunting hero returns. He still wields his twin handguns Ebony & Ivory and Rebellion. From a picture of the PS3 Magazine we learned that his trademark Shotgun will also appear. And as an add we have seen the new hand to hand combat - Devil Arm, the Gilgamesh. Dante is again voiced by Reuben Langdon, the one who voiced him in Devil May Cry 3: Dante's Awakening/Special Edition. Dante will still have the Styles from DMC3 but with a plus. From what we've seen in a video with him he can easily change from one style to another without having to go to the usual Divinity Statue. So far only Swordsmaster and Gunslinger styles have been seen although nothing was said that Trickster/Royal Guard/Doppelgangger/Quicksilver won't make an appearance. Dante's objective is so far unknown. The only thing we know - and this from a cut-scene in a trailer again - is that he wants something to be returned to him. However we don't know if he started with that in mind, or lost something while progressing throughout the game. He just suddenly appeared at the island of Fortuna and killed some members of the enigmatic Order of the Sword who are humans.

Nero

The new hero of the game. He wields a Sword called Red Queen and a revolver called Blue Rose. A few information about those who don't know about them:

Red Queen: It is a special weapon designed by the Order of the Sword. Its handle resembles a motorcycle accelerator. Twisting the Red Queen's handle releases a powerful propellant along the edge of the sword. The explosive force of this propellant can turn even the weakest person into an agent of destruction.
However, this power has been upgraded by Nero due to some modifications and it's impossible to handle by untrained people.
In the trailers we see Nero grabbing the sword and it starts getting red as time passes. The more red it gets the more powerful it becomes.

Blue Rose: A large caliber, six shot revolver modified by Nero from existing weapons. Equipped by double barrels, it can fire two shots at once, allowing it to take down multiple enemies, or even those wrapped in strong armor. The Order of the Sword feels that the sword is the only truly honorable weapon and that guns are vulgarities, making Nero the only member of the Order to use such a weapon.

Nero is voiced and motion captured by Johnny Yong Bosch.
Instead of Dante's styles and Devil Trigger Nero has the Devil Bringer. It is a power on his right hand that lets Nero perform various movements. Nero is a human and is therefore unknown how his hand turned into that. However it is a great assistance in battle and he decides to do nothing about it. He seems to hide that fact from the Order of the Sword in fear of being accused a Devil and hunted down himself. A few more about Devil Bringer:

Devil Bringer

Capcom said this will be Nero's greatest weapon. They admitted that instead of the usual new swords and guns that were found during the old games, Nero will only be finding new Devil Bringer's powers, keeping Red Queen and Blue Rose forever.
Devil Bringer allows Nero to grab things from a fair distance. That includes items behind bars or enemies on the air while he is still on the ground. Nero can fetch enemies to him, throw them and manipulate them in general. If the enemy is a huge boss Nero can use the Devil Bringer to reach the enemy from afar and start executing his deadly combos unto him. Correct use of Devil Bringer is the key to learning Nero's gameplay as along with all those it helps him stay in the air for a long time.
Throughout the game Nero can use the Devil Bringer's abilities not only to gain items and battle enemies but to advance to new places as well. Using the "Grim Grip" and some special set points Nero pulls himself in other parts of the stage.

Nero was taken in while still an orphan kid by Kyrie. Thus she holds a place in his heart as both sister and mother combined. As he grew up he became a young, extremely capable Holy Knight in the Order of the Sword. The Order seems to worship Sparda and his deeds. So they do as much Devil Hunting as Dante does. Nero is a loner and prefers to do things alone. The Order acknowledged that and trusted him with their dirty work.

The Order of the Sword

Supposedly the are a group of warriors that worship Sparda as a deity. We've seen a statue of him with a human face but demonic aspects. They have their organization in Fortuna where most of the game takes part.

Kyrie

Sister to the leader of the Holy Knights and songstress of the Sword Festival. She is the one closest to Nero as she seems to be the one who raised him. There is a possibility that Nero sees in her more than a sibling. She held a mysterious blue thing in one of the trailer cut-scenes but no one knows what that is.

About Vergil

Here's a quote from Capcom: "We are not ready to say what role Vergil himself plays in the story, but the existence of Vergil as a character is something very important to the story of the DMC games. That's something that I don't think is going to end."
Also it is known that Dan Southworth is on the working crew for DMC4 so there is a possibility that Vergil DOES appear one way or another.

Other Characters of the Past

Lady and Trish will make a return as well. Here's a video that Zato-OW provided us with which shows them. Lady seems to be narrating the whole story again, although we know nothing about what their role is in the game.

Tony_Redgrave

TimeLord Detective
Since the word thingy is at 10.000 words I have to continue here:

Enemies

Frosts

The Frosts from the original Devil May Cry have returned and they are more vicious than ever. Compared to the other DMC4 enemies, like Scarecrows, the Frosts are incredibly aggressive. No matter what the distance Frosts have always a way to attack. Capable of shooting icy spikes from long distances, Frosts attack with extreme prejudice. Observe, evade and attack are the key to their defeat. Just as they did in the original DMC Frosts will encase themselves in an icy cocoon when they feel endangered. As long as they stay there they heal themselves so strike them fast. It was hinted that even Nero's Devil Bringer won't always succeed in catching the Frosts.

Berial

The first boss we saw Dante and Nero fighting. He was once a prince to the emperor of the underworld. Howver the sealing of the emperor left Berail to wander alone.
Despite his large size Berial is extremely agile and a single blow can cause unimaginable destruction. His massive force can destroy even the buildings of the town we saw him with ease. Not only he has that giant fiery sword but his whole body is covered in fire which asks fore mid-range combat. He also blocks enemy attacks with his huge sword. After some beating his fires are weakening, at that time you can unleash your whole powers against him but after a while he awakens again.
Berial is reminded by someone when losing to Nero, but doesn't say who. Also although Nero beat him, he returns again to fight Dante...

Scarecrows

The easy beating enemies that come in large numbers and offer no real threat once you learn how to confront them. But as in the original DMC with Marrionetes losing your balance a bit will cost you your life. Nothing much is said about these simple but not to be taken lightly enemies.

Other Enemies

Capcom said that some other enemies from DMC may appear. We frequently encountered Blades and Sins in DMC, maybe we'll see them again..

Update New Characters

As showed by Zato-OW
some new members of the order finally made an appearance in the Japanese site of DMC4. Since we haven't much info about them I will say what we see in their pictures and Update again when the official translation shows up.

Update thanks to notify by morrigan.
The Official Site offered the English translation which added new information for all of us;)

Agnus
Agnus serves as Chief Alchemist for the Order of the Sword. In charge of development of anti-demonic technologies and weapons. Agnus is responsible for the iconic mechanical sword used by the Holy Knights. Often a lab shut-in and prone to stuttering, he is so rarely seen at the Order's events that few members know of his existence. Despite being a scientist he seems well-built and ready for battle any time. His looks show a clever mind, a powerful body and some short of evil look, which makes him look mysterious.

Gloria
Meteorically rising to a leadership position in the Order of the Sword shortly after joining the faith, Gloria's exotic appearance and voluptuous assets set her apart from the rest. However, her rise to the top, and combination of looks and ability, has stoked the fires of her detractors, whose lips burn with gossip and rumor. Gloria seems out of place in the Order, revealing certain parts of her body. But looks can be deceiving as we see her in a picture disposing demons with apparent ease.

Credo
Supreme General of the Holy Knights, the organization charged by the Order of the Sword with protecting Fortuna, earned his title through his exceptional skill with the blade. His austere demeanor and ability to lead hundreds have made him a beloved leader and comrade. As Kyrie's brother, he too has accepted Nero as a member of his family despite the youth's constant insubordination. Credo looks a man of experience and power.

And that's the general idea of DMC4. If anything new appears please say it on THIS thread so that members will easily find it as it is sticked. Also only TRUE info NOT speculations.

Hope it helps some people;)

Raziel

Devil bringer
woowo_O awsome dude and about berial losing to nero this just a thought but he is reminded by sparda since he didn't fight Dante before nero and berial said something about it's being 2000 years since he came to the human world so i mostly think it's sparda;) same as Phantom (the big lava spider) is reminded by sparda when he fought Dante in the DMC1 so could it be a hint from the director?...

Tony_Redgrave

TimeLord Detective
Well you can never be sure of this. Maybe he fought Dante before Nero. No one knows for sure who is Berial talking about but you may be right or wrong and this is no speculation thread;)

Vergilissexy

Wesker's #1 fan!
Tony_Redgrave;44041 said:
About Vergil

Here's a quote from Capcom: "We are not ready to say what role Vergil himself plays in the story, but the existence of Vergil as a character is something very important to the story of the DMC games. That's something that I don't think is going to end."
Also it is known that Dan Southworth is on the working crew for DMC4 so there is a possibility that Vergil DOES appear one way or another.

*Does backflips with pom poms* Thats great! Not to mention I wouldn't mind seeing Mary.

Raziel

Devil bringer
well tony if look at the berial battle in the start of the cut scence when berail came from thar wall thingy he was look around and talks as he it was his first time scince that war 2000 years ago:)

Tony_Redgrave

TimeLord Detective
Well, I would always look how the place I got to looked like, if I got transported there by some sort of portal even if I had months to to do it:p

morrigan

Very well. But one more thing... Nero said (in trailer): "Power... Give me more power!" It reminds us Vergil's "I need more power!", don't you think?

Mobfigurz

Even for the hardcore Vergil fans, you have to leave room for the possibility that Vergil may not be a main Character, I said previously that Capcom only stated Vergil will appear in the game and his voice actor is said to be part of the crew, but think about this as a possibility: Vergil 'could' only be present in flashbacks/thoughts from Dante's mind, remember that Capcom didnt specify in which capacity Vergil would appear in the game.

As for the 'Power' line, as I have said before, the silhouette I see in the illustration of Nero with his Devil Bringer raised to chest height, there is a demon, but that Demon doesnt look like Nelo(Vergil), dispite the horns, but also, by the same token he could have been redesigned for the new generation.

Anything and everything is possible.

Vergilissexy

Wesker's #1 fan!
Id still be satisfied with anything Vergil in DMC4. Heck I was happy to hear that tiny little, "I want chocolate!" Line in DMC1.

Raziel

Devil bringer
well im gonna have to agree mobfigurz on the demon illustration above nero:$ cause it's seems it's hint that that's the devil bringers full demon form and thats the form of the owner of the "power" line;)
but don't mind me i kinda prefer vergil over Dante cause of his calm attitude that makes him awsome..hell i liked him so much that i finished every difficulty with him in DMC3 special additon..BUt now after i saw nero's gameplay im Voting for Nero!!!

Tony_Redgrave

TimeLord Detective
Guys I thought I said that in the beginning. This in NOT a thread about what you may THINK will happen. Only information is going to be posted here. Any other post which violates that will be removed. After all it supposedly a thread which discuss what WILL happen 100%.
Shall you want to discuss what may happen create an Speculation/Theories thread;)

Blizzardmon

Hell Rasier
I have to info I had found about the release dates.
Published by: Capcom

Developed by: Capcom Production Studio 1

Genre: Action
Number of Players: 1
Release Date:
US: January 2008
Japan: December 30, 2007
Europe: Q4 2007

MSRP: $59.99
Also Available On: Xbox 360, PC
Media Size: 1 BD

Enjoy! :)

Tony_Redgrave

TimeLord Detective
As far as I know the release dates are so far unstable and each site posts its own. However good work adding the others there and rep+;)

Tony_Redgrave

TimeLord Detective
There is still nothing sure about the release date - as I said in my previous post - so don't sweat it people:lol:

Zato-OW

King
i know lol im just saying thats a reason why i think its fake because every dmc game we got a month b4 europe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom