• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Devil May Cry Reveal Trailer | Does This Even Look Like DMC?

Shin Muramasa

Metallic Stranger
considering he directly supported and oversaw DmC in 2013.
What else was he supposed to do? Other than quit and try to join some random company. Capcom, at least the heads of Capcom, is his boss and outside of the Monster Hunter team where one of its developers is the son of a Capcom chairman, Capcom has been forcing the hands of its studios let alone the interference of other companies like Marvel with Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite. It was Capcom's decision to make DmC and to try and reinvent Devil May Cry when it was not necessary. They pulled the same thing with DMC2 and probably DMC4 before DmC was even a thing, but in DmC's case, they involved Ninja Theory and told them not to go back to DMC1, but to do something else.

For all we know, Hideaki Itsuno ****ing hates DmC and being part of its development, but like hell he's going to say that as a Capcom employee or even if he became an ex-Capcom employee. Capcom's not Konami, but pulling stuff like that would probably kill his career and reputation unless he can somehow do it like Hideki Kamiya or Tomonobu Itagaki who openly criticize things that happen in game development and sometimes hold grudges too.

Feels like Capcom pandering to original series fans for brownie points. His "We made this game for YOU," tagline felt pretty ****ty too.
Because that is exactly what they're doing. They thought DmC was a good idea and it could have worked, but they ****ed that up real hard. Now they're going back to what they think is safe and trying to win back most of the crowd. Unfortunately for us, however, is that this might lead to DMC5 basically being DMC4: A More Special Edition.

What that really means is if DMC5 isn't that good, or doesn't sell within their projected margins, they'll blame it on us again; like they did when they said that they were going to look at DMC4 Special Edition sales as an indicator for whether or not they would return to the main series.
It's Capcom. Their projected sales for their games are pretty stupid. This time, however, they are probably going to be silent considering the issues with Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite and Street Fighter V. Street Fighter sold because it's Street Fighter, but it gets ragged on a lot.

We've all been down the "wait and see" road before.
Always expect nothing. Everything is too good to be true. Remember when Scalebound was a thing? That could happen to DMC5. Remember when Final Fantasy XIII and XV or Versus XIII as it was known back then were revealed? Well, they're all right to downright terrible for some people. How about Brink, Duke Nukem Forever, and Pac-Man? They could reveal a game about chopping up potatoes and I'm would still be skeptical if it was even goddamned playable. I'm expecting this **** to crash on the title screen, dip down in single digit frames while idle when nothing is happening, cause Skyrim to mod itself into a better game, the rotate the potato function to not work, the cutting board rapidly change colors for no reason, and have excessive motion blur turned on by default before I would accept it as a perfectly normal game about cutting up potatoes.

And selling out the series as an XBOX premiere?
I don't see a problem with this? It happened before, but nothing really came about it. Games that premiered on a Microsoft or Sony conference ended up getting same date releases. Now, if this was like Tomb Raider and was it Hellblade? or something else where they're timed exclusives, then that can go rot in a ditch. What's the point? If it's going to be an exclusive, then might as well hold them hostage for at least 2 years not a couple of months.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Now they're going back to what they think is safe and trying to win back most of the crowd.

Wait, when you talk about "what they think is safe" are you referring to the tagline or the actual game? Cause if it's the latter, I wouldn't really say that such a shift in tone, feel and look is a safe route to win back the old fans who weren't happy about them making a reboot featuring a heavy shift in tone, feel and look back in the days.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
Always expect nothing. Everything is too good to be true. Remember when Scalebound was a thing? That could happen to DMC5. Remember when Final Fantasy XIII and XV or Versus XIII as it was known back then were revealed? Well, they're all right to downright terrible for some people. How about Brink, Duke Nukem Forever, and Pac-Man? They could reveal a game about chopping up potatoes and I'm would still be skeptical if it was even goddamned playable. I'm expecting this **** to crash on the title screen, dip down in single digit frames while idle when nothing is happening, cause Skyrim to mod itself into a better game, the rotate the potato function to not work, the cutting board rapidly change colors for no reason, and have excessive motion blur turned on by default before I would accept it as a perfectly normal game about cutting up potatoes.
I agree with this 100 percent.

Be careful though. When I pointed this out I was immediately tag-teamed by the staff...

ToCool74

"Fair" DmC Skeptic
Premium
Weird thing I'm mixed on this, i thought once the game was announced I would be stoked but I never imagined it would look like this.

On one hand I'm happy for a DMC5 while on the other I'm left wondering why Capcom would completely revamp the over all vibe of the series and once again have Dante (who is by far the fan favorite) take ANOTHER backseat to Nero after so many years of fans waiting and craving for a new DMC game after DMC4.

The logic of it just does not make 1 bit of sense to me really, I need to see more information on this game but as of right now I'm in the "mixed" category.

Veloran

I'm not sure why people are saying the feel has changed. Nero can literally ride his own rocket arm for God's sake.

Hell the entire setup is just DMC3 except the city before the tower is more than a single street.

Shin Muramasa

Metallic Stranger
Wait, when you talk about "what they think is safe" are you referring to the tagline or the actual game? Cause if it's the latter, I wouldn't really say that such a shift in tone, feel and look is a safe route to win back the old fans who weren't happy about them making a reboot featuring a heavy shift in tone, feel and look back in the days.
The latter. In the sense of they're trying to make everything seem like Devil May Cry or rather, more like Devil May Cry 3 and 4, but in doing so, they might ignore or miss what people want and what could be incorporated from all the Devil May Cry games and outside games like Bayonetta, Metal Gear Rising, Nier: Automata, etc. I guess in a sense it would be like Capcom making new Street Fighter games resemble more of Street Fighter II, but people want a new Street Fighter not another Street Fighter II. Street Fighter II would represent what is considered safe by Capcom, but what is safe sometimes isn't exactly what fans or anyone wants. The only difference here is that DMC has had two departures with DMC2 and DmC: Devil May Cry mainly in tone and presentation and also, DMC1 isn't the same as DMC3. DMC1 had a more horror feel to it which makes sense since it was built off of ideas for Resident Evil 4 while DMC3 onward had a more action feel. I hope whatever I'm trying to explain makes any sense.

I would also like to note that my previous comment was trying to play devil's advocate. I am excited about DMC5 and I like what the trailer showed us, but at the same time, I will criticize and outright bash the game or any anything really for one reason or another or do the opposite and point out its merits. I guess I just don't like games being elevated to perfection and games being overly trashed on unless of course the game is downright terrible and there's absolutely nothing redeemable about it, but that's very rare in my book. Most it would be movie tie-ins, but recent ones are decent and cash grabs targeted at kids.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
Personally I think it looks more DMC like than DmC like. First it dropped gritty urban setting with graffity. We once again has streets overflown with demons and some medieval buildings. Second they dropped whole "maniquin" / social message from the enemy design. All enemies are organic looking and some has definitve DMC vibe (that light based thing with no face). Second moves from what I've seen is more akin to oriignal game. The only thing that is different is heavy motion capturing on the character faces and dark(erer) setting. But than again DMC1 and 2 already had pretty grey(ish) set, so there is that. And yes, if it looked like DmC I would probably be one of the first to hate on it.

Top Bottom