• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

DMC2 remake thoughts

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
A potential DMC2 remake should take cues from FF7R's story changes and how the original tackled its themes and characters.

DMC2 was cobbled together from different pitches lying around and rushed out the door. Plus they avoided acknowledging it for too long. So it needs more of an overhaul than the others.

I thought it would be better just to replace Dante with another character like Vergil/Nero/Trish and Lady. The anime and 2 are his worst portrayals. Plus the series never figured out what to do with him after 1. Bingo and Itsuno just made him more of an extrovert and leaned into his relationship with Vergil.

So using another character would help freshen up the story and help build the other cast members. It could test the waters for spinoffs.

With Dante, maybe you can have 2 be a followup to the Anime? Set it a few years after the anime and have some of the side characters pop up. Patty's mom got a job at Uroborous and acts Dante's informant. But you would have to be able to address the failings of the series so far. Despite having an episodic format, it struggles telling stories that aren't related to Dante's family or Vergil.

That's a way to handle Dante's shift in demeanor and it ties into 5 pushing 2 before 4 in the timeline. So far both DMC2's take on Dante and the anime feel empty. They lack an inner life so this is an attempt at giving him one using what we have available.

I had a friend who thought DMC2 was a prequel to 3. I don't mind using DMC3 Dante instead and setting it between 3 and 1.

As for a rival, I have two ideas.

A) A mercenary who works for Arius as a bodyguard. I thought about it being a reworked Enzo. There was a good fanfic where Enzo became a competent hunter. I preffered that over Enzo as a butt monkey comic relief character. So this would be a darker take on that fic.

If you don't like the Enzo idea, just make him a hunter/mercenary that Dante and Lady used to know.

B) a warlock that works for Arius but tries to take over the company.

Both could work and exist seperate of each other. One of them would wear a green outfit in a shoutout to the rumor of another protagonist.

For Lucia, she's not bad. She suffers similar problems to Trish. They are both cool ideas but undercooked as characters. So I'd just expand on her more and flesh out her dynamic with the Vie di marli. I thought about making Lucia's mom a willing partner to Arius and his schemes. You could also give her a rival within the Clan.

Last edited:

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
I would keep lucia and matier, change arius as the antagonist to something cool like the first ever demon who id call omega. Argosax and the despair embodied being defeated could release omegas last seal.

I would then add the combat style of 4 into it, with weapon switching on the fly and new devil arms gained from the bosses.As it is in lore near 4, styles could be added and then improve enemy ai so u don't just blaze through it with just guns.There would need to be new enemy types added, and for returning ones improve ai, expand attack patterns and add new moves and bump up their aggression.

Flesh out the story more as to dante's mood, and spruce up level design. Nero and trish and lady can have a cameo, but do not need to be playable outside of bloody palace.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I would keep lucia and matier, change arius as the antagonist to something cool like the first ever demon who id call omega. Argosax and the despair embodied being defeated could release omegas last seal.

I would then add the combat style of 4 into it, with weapon switching on the fly and new devil arms gained from the bosses.As it is in lore near 4, styles could be added and then improve enemy ai so u don't just blaze through it with just guns.There would need to be new enemy types added, and for returning ones improve ai, expand attack patterns and add new moves and bump up their aggression.

Flesh out the story more as to dante's mood, and spruce up level design. Nero and trish and lady can have a cameo, but do not need to be playable outside of bloody palace.
I'd probably add the others as DLC. They would seperate missions in Dumary Island.

2 takes place before 4 so Nero probably shouldn't meet Dante and the others. But you could always put 2 after 4 instead to make it easier.

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
Ya setting it after 4 works, but when i said a nero cameo i simply meant a look at a younger nero via cutscene

And showing what trish and lady are up to also via cutscene

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I think you could remake it with Nero instead of Dante. He's supposed to be a gambler so the coin flips could fit him more.

But you could always do that in a sequel to 4 than a remake. Which is also true of using Vergil or Trish and Lady instead of Dante.

Another user had a theory about DMC2 being about time travel so I'd probably incorporate that somehow. So I'd make Omega or Argosax a diety of time that Sparda imprisoned on the island. But this aspect would be better in a seperate adventure rather than tacking it on here.

There was a light novel where Dante traveled to another timeline where Mundus won. It came out after and was set before 2 so I'd incorporate elements of it into 2's story or have it be a seperate DLC.

Regardless of who the other protagonist are, i wanna do another DLC with Lucia set during DMC5. Where Lucia had to defend Dumary Island from demons during the Qlipoth attack.

Last edited:

Deleted_User

I'd love seeing a dmc2 remake. It was my first DMC, actually!! I never finished it because it ended up breaking my computer...
I think DMC2 failed because of it's weird, mysterious development. It's a half baked game. I think Dante could work as our protagonist, but DMC2's plot would need another 30 minutes in the oven to make it make sense. Where it's at timeline wise is fine, too.
What I really want to see from this idea is more from and about Lucia. I also think what they were cooking with Argosax was really cool, I'd keep that :)

Top Bottom