• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

DMC3 remake idea

RadiantWolf

Conlige suspectos semper habitos.
Dante struggling with his own nature is a thing I long for. I think it is part of why he acts so laid back too. Imagine if having an emotional flare up could mean turning into a literal rage monster. You'd develop some defenses. He does it to protect himself from demons and humans from his own temper. Probably. Admittedly only the "prevents demons from hurting his feelings" aspect of that was laid out by Kamiya. But it all comes together neatly to form a reasonably nuanced character.

Him struggling with his demonic half would shine more light on his humanity in the process.

Gel

When the going gets tough, the tough get going
Premium
The monsters you've been destroying were heroes who had used the Corpse Shell too many times, becoming the very monsters they once fought. After learning that the protagonist becomes very reluctant to use that power unless he really has to.
You know, that is basically the same concept it was used in DmC: chronicles of Vergil. Kat begs Vergil to avid DT too much, because eventually his devil side will take over his persona. I remember too in DMC2 time, Itsuno commented how he believed one day Dante eventually will see his humanity totally dominated by his demon half.

Morgan

Premium
Xen-Ace 2021
Kamiya already explained that silhouette was not Trish, but a "cool girl" he imagined as a symbol for DMC. Their similitude is pure coincidence. But yeah, you're right! having Dante struggling with his devil side would be interesting to see.
The original intent for that silhouette being "just a cool girl" doesn't matter anymore when the opening FMV has Trish pose purposely like the figure in the neon sign, that figure was transposed onto/reused for the coin, and then the neon sign of the office has actually changed to the silhouette of another known charaacter (Dante with Rebellion, in the anime). There's no coincidence in character design and object placement. There's laziness, but there's no coincidence.

Gel

When the going gets tough, the tough get going
Premium
Even so!That coin has no "esoteric meaning" beyond the DMC signature and Lady was not conceptualized at DMC2 time, so the possibility of Trish's death being a fact or that will happen in near future is dubious.As much she only went somewhere else, as DMC2 suggested at its time.

RadiantWolf

That Trish or Lady will die is dubious, that they will leave Dante somehow is a bit less so. They are nowhere in DMC2 and Capcom has off and on expressed interest in retro-fitting DMC2 back into continuity.... Not that ISN'T in continuity now but it is by far the most distant and loosely connected title.

I personally hate the Woman in the Refrigerator trope but if Dante had to go berserk and hurt his friends they're the most likely targets. OR he goes berserk, takes out a huge population of people and insists that Lady and Trish leave him and never ever return, in case he loses himself again.

Dante in DMC2 does seem depressed and not just because he rarely speaks. He also does not seem to feel pleasure. Dante has always loved his job, at least. Fighting demons is when he feels alive but in DMC2 he seems like he is going through the motions and doing things because hunting is all he knows. He never really engages with the other characters, rarely taunts anything.... In fact he says to one boss "Don't speak, just die". He seems completely over "it" by DMC2. I'm pretty sure this stoic attitude is supposed to be "cool" originally but it really does come across as misery most of the time.

RadiantWolf

I think we lost the plot. This was originally about a DMC3 remake.

....Sorry, folks, back on target.

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
I think part of the problem with remaking 3 is that the games are largely self-contained with little connecting them in terms of plot. Therefore to incorporate the first novel would definitely feel out of place unless they actually changed details of either plot such as the afore mentioned making Vergil more Gilver like.

Morgan

Premium
Xen-Ace 2021
The third game seems to have shamelessly ripped off of the novels anyway, so it might as well go all the way. Compare

Vergil, Dante's twin brother who is inexplicably alive when the existing canon had him "presumed dead", opening up the Demon World-- if Note of Naught is to be believed, this includes turning all the residents of the city into demons.
vs.
Gilver, revealed to be Dante's twin brother who is inexplicably alive when the existing canon had him "presumed dead" (or kidnapped by Mundus?), opening up the Demon World and actually turning all of the residents of the city into demons. Gilver was much more personal about his terribleness, though. But that comes from the novel being able to fit more characters that Dante had relationships with.

Lady, a human who is a demon huntress, who knows about Sparda, who wields a large weapon (a rocket launcher), whose father delved too deeply into the occult and became a demon because of it, who has a scar resulting from her encounter with her demonic father (implied), with a backstory involving a dead mother, and the additional detail of her father having a scar on his collar/neck that pulsates near demonic activity.
vs.
Beryl, a human who is a demon huntress, who knows about Sparda, who wields a large weapon (a Spiral-like rifle), whose father delved too deeply into the occult and became a demon because of it, who has a scar resulting from her encounter with her demonic father (stated), with a backstory involving a dead mother, and the additional detail of Beryl having a scar on her collar/neck that pulsates near demonic activity (the Beastheads specifically).

The actual locations and general plot are different but the scenario writers seemed "inspired" by the novels a bit too damn much.

DarkSlayerZero

DMC1 Dante>>>>>>2-4
The third game seems to have shamelessly ripped off of the novels anyway, so it might as well go all the way. Compare

Vergil, Dante's twin brother who is inexplicably alive when the existing canon had him "presumed dead", opening up the Demon World-- if Note of Naught is to be believed, this includes turning all the residents of the city into demons.
vs.
Gilver, revealed to be Dante's twin brother who is inexplicably alive when the existing canon had him "presumed dead" (or kidnapped by Mundus?), opening up the Demon World and actually turning all of the residents of the city into demons. Gilver was much more personal about his terribleness, though. But that comes from the novel being able to fit more characters that Dante had relationships with.

Lady, a human who is a demon huntress, who knows about Sparda, who wields a large weapon (a rocket launcher), whose father delved too deeply into the occult and became a demon because of it, who has a scar resulting from her encounter with her demonic father (implied), with a backstory involving a dead mother, and the additional detail of her father having a scar on his collar/neck that pulsates near demonic activity.
vs.
Beryl, a human who is a demon huntress, who knows about Sparda, who wields a large weapon (a Spiral-like rifle), whose father delved too deeply into the occult and became a demon because of it, who has a scar resulting from her encounter with her demonic father (stated), with a backstory involving a dead mother, and the additional detail of Beryl having a scar on her collar/neck that pulsates near demonic activity (the Beastheads specifically).

The actual locations and general plot are different but the scenario writers seemed "inspired" by the novels a bit too damn much.

I believe Kamiya's Vergil was kidnapped by Mundus and tweaked, not full on mind control like in 1 but given just enough free will.

ArabPikachu

What the OP has in mind is more along the lines of a storyline reboot than a remake; last time I checked, a remake builds on the original source material and I'll give two Capcom examples:

• 2002 remake of the 1st Biohazard game

• Mega Man: Powered Up (PSP remake of the 1st Mega Man game)

Last edited:

Zoey

Actually, I would like the remake to be identical to the original DMC3 game, frame by frame, but with next gen graphics :) And Special Edition because of playable Vergil.
Some additional cutscenes would be highly appreciated, to include parts of the novel as you guys said (sounds great!). But everything already present in the DMC3 SE, I would like it the way it was.
I'm slightly scared of reboots, because even in the case they're amazingly done, I wouldn't know what's canon anymore, so I'd prefer a remake faithful to the original work.

Last edited:
Top Bottom