• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

..."Fans Protests" Facebook page...REALLY?

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
I'd say number of moves may be somewhat important, but...I think once you get past twenty or so, you're fine :x

DMC1 had very little move variation, and was still fun. DMC3 had a multitude of weapons and moves, but you only got four weapons at once, and a style to increase the number a moves available to two of them. DMC4 spoiled us a little bit :p

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
that was very nice. DmC has about 65-70 moves so yes, potentially speaking DMC4 (which 80 moves or so) has a bit more combo possibilities, but it is by no means "vastly superior" so idk why people keep acting as such.
People who say that stuff just don't like the change because it isn't their personal fanfiction and are confusing quantity for quality. DMC 4 was unnecessarily convoluted in the combat department. It added things just for the sake of adding it. You know how many moves can be substituted for other moves and be just as effective? Then it just gets tedious when you cycle so much. DmC gives decent justification to go through Dante's variety of techniques and abilities and just because it's more easily accessible for newer players it is still no less deep than the previous titles in the series. To say this combat doesn't live up to Devil May Cry standards is just quite frankly wrong because this is one well defined system that carries the DMC DNA along with it. I hope Devil May Cry sticks with this kind of play style because I haven't had this much fun with the series since the original.

I like having this hybrid of all the styles from previous games and my favorite techniques are still here like the prop shredder, stinger, and that spinning gun move. Styles limit your abilities as you are only able to preform that certain move when you're on that style. Now I have a Dante who's good at all the things all the time and each weapon looks like they hold a list of unique moves. Seriously, this is a sandbox of combat you can play with here. I will go as far as saying it's the best in the series to date.

ChaserTech

I'd say number of moves may be somewhat important, but...I think once you get past twenty or so, you're fine :x

DMC1 had very little move variation, and was still fun. DMC3 had a multitude of weapons and moves, but you only got four weapons at once, and a style to increase the number a moves available to two of them. DMC4 spoiled us a little bit :p

Even with how limited DMC3 was in terms of choosing weapons, you still could do a lot in terms of creativity.

Well, you know how people are: afraid of change, hating things just because it doesn't live up to their standards, etc.

that was very nice. DmC has about 65-70 moves so yes, potentially speaking DMC4 (which 80 moves or so) has a bit more combo possibilities, but it is by no means "vastly superior" so idk why people keep acting as such.

I consider DmC to be incredibly inferior to DMC4 not because the amount of moves. But with what you can do with them.
Every move I see in DMC4 seems to have a use for it. Even mustang, a move that I didn't think would be useful at all, actually has some combo usages. As well as this, new techniques were discovered in DMC4 that evolved gameplay and expanded it immensely.

Examples: Star Rave, Guard Cancelling, Sky Running/Flying Guard, Lucifer Guard Cancelling, Reversed Attacks.

I don't think that DmC will have much going for it mainly because I see there are weapons that aren't that useful within the game when it comes to combos, especially when looking stylish. (mainly Eryx and Arbiter. Possibly Kablooey). I only see serious potential in Aquila (mainly Calibur usages and Round Trip), Revenant, Rebellion, and a bit of Osiris. E&I is serving it's purpose for cancelling some attacks as well.

I also don't see much going for DmC in terms of technical gameplay though either. Maybe combo creativity. But I feel DmC will hit a certain point where combo potential will stop while DMC4 is still going strong in terms of creativity with Dante. Even Nero has a lot of potential of what combos he can do.

(Hate to use one of my videos as an example but it's the most recent that I can find)

If new mechanics are found within DmC, then there might be a chance that the game could redeem itself. Seeing what people discovered in the demo though, I'm kinda skeptical if much will be discovered in the actual game. So far, the new mechanics that I know of are E&I cancelling, Charged Shot Cancelling, and Charge Shot Stocking. That's about it. And these are with 5 weapons, which is more than half of what the demo gave us.

I like having this hybrid of all the styles from previous games and my favorite techniques are still here like the prop shredder, stinger, and that spinning gun move. Styles limit your abilities as you are only able to preform that certain move when you're on that style. Now I have a Dante who's good at all the things all the time and each weapon looks like they hold a list of unique moves. Seriously, this is a sandbox of combat you can play with here. I will go as far as saying it's the best in the series to date.

Again, styles don't limit your abilities. If anything, they add A BUNCH of options in terms of what you can do with them. DMC4 has proved that Dante's advanced combat needed no changes at all because of how vast his moveset is as well as his advanced techniques.

And to me, I find the weapon switching system kinda convoluted. Sure you can switch through weapons on the D-Pad but it's just as taxing (if not more than) switching through DMC4's style system.

8BitHero

Scrub
I hate to correct you, but it's far from being Lucifer.

The Darts = Lucifer Swords
The Explosion = Nero's Charged Shot lvl. 3

Kablooey's darts don't really do much other than latch onto the enemy. And the explosion is something that you manually detonate (don't know if they automatically detonate at a specific time). And they can also stack up, adding more damage. You can only shoot one dart at a time, as well as having out 5 darts on the playing field. (I believe it's 5)

Lucifer is much more than that. Not only you are able to summon swords, but you can summon multiple swords at the same time suspended in different areas for enemies to walk into them. You can also target enemies with multiple swords and embed them with said swords. The darts that are placed on the field/embedded in an enemy can also be exploded by automatic detonation or time based detonation. Even the detonation can be used as an attack to pop enemies into the air.

Kablooey is essentially the "ghetto" version of Lucifer. It only shoots and detonates and there's not much variety for it.
Yeah I'd say I phrased it wrong. It operates similar to Lucifer but shooting darts and giving you the ability to control the explosion.

I consider DmC to be incredibly inferior to DMC4 not because the amount of moves. But with what you can do with them.
Every move I see in DMC4 seems to have a use for it. Even mustang, a move that I didn't think would be useful at all, actually has some combo usages. As well as this, new techniques were discovered in DMC4 that evolved gameplay and expanded it immensely.
That's why I wish we still had styles. If you do buy the game, I think you'll still appreciate the weapon switching. Very much DMC in that area.

Soupie

Does Kablooey even have any combo potential? From some footage I've seen, the explosion simply knocks them backwards rather than having properties similar to Lucifer's swords.

AlchemistFromEden

People who say that stuff just don't like the change because it isn't their personal fanfiction and are confusing quantity for quality. DMC 4 was unnecessarily convoluted in the combat department. It added things just for the sake of adding it. You know how many moves can be substituted for other moves and be just as effective? Then it just gets tedious when you cycle so much. DmC gives decent justification to go through Dante's variety of techniques and abilities and just because it's more easily accessible for newer players it is still no less deep than the previous titles in the series. To say this combat doesn't live up to Devil May Cry standards is just quite frankly wrong because this is one well defined system that carries the DMC DNA along with it. I hope Devil May Cry sticks with this kind of play style because I haven't had this much fun with the series since the original.

the fact that the supposed pros are having trouble adjusting to the new gameplay mechanics like weapon switching is just proof that the game has depth, they didn't have to adjust nearly as much with dmc4 because its dmc3.5 instead of a truely different game, and then they have the audacity to say things like "oh the weapon changing isn't intuitive" or "the game is clunky" when combo videos like
wouldn't at all be possible if it was clunky and unresponsive, seriously, they use excuses like "its clunkier" to stroke their egos and defend the fact that they aren't good at this new one yet despite it being more accessible

HaNGMaN

the fact that the supposed pros are having trouble adjusting to the new gameplay mechanics like weapon switching is just proof that the game has depth, they didn't have to adjust nearly as much with dmc4 because its dmc3.5 instead of a truely different game, and then they have the audacity to say things like "oh the weapon changing isn't intuitive" or "the game is clunky" when combo videos like
wouldn't at all be possible if it was clunky and unresponsive, seriously, they use excuses like "its clunkier" to stroke their egos and defend the fact that they aren't good at this new one yet despite it being more accessible

I've watched multiple walkthroughs, read tons of theories and spoilers, but this combo video, it makes the wait that much harder. I want it in my mouth. I would love to see some combo vids from DMD so we can get more hits out of these guys.

HaNGMaN

I wonder if you can pick what enemy to fight in the training area. I'd love to beat the snot out of the Drekavac, payback for him making me want to punch the tv, like I know he will.

ChaserTech

That is definitely not true.

I picked up the DmC Demo and I literally got used to the combat system the moment I picked it up. It does not has nearly as much depth has DMC4. Even with the weapons that are provided in the full game, I doubt you can do as much as you could in DMC4. And it's not that pro players were having problems with the game itself. If anything, they were abusing JC mechanics within the demo. That's basically it. They weren't having problems switching through weapons at all.

As well as this, DmC IS clunky compared to the other games. There are a lot of animations between several different attacks that don't have a clean transition (or any transition) when switching between different weapons. As well as this, Dante has these constant pauses inbetween attacks that make him feel slow, as well as clunky.

Remember, they are just being bullies, so ignore their nitpicking.

So we are being bullies just because I am complaining that the advanced combat system isn't up to par with the previous games? That doesn't make any sense. :/

AlchemistFromEden

That is definitely not true.

I picked up the DmC Demo and I literally got used to the combat system the moment I picked it up. It does not has nearly as much depth has DMC4. Even with the weapons that are provided in the full game, I doubt you can do as much as you could in DMC4. And it's not that pro players were having problems with the game itself. If anything, they were abusing JC mechanics within the demo. That's basically it. They weren't having problems switching through weapons at all.

As well as this, DmC IS clunky compared to the other games. There are a lot of animations between several different attacks that don't have a clean transition (or any transition) when switching between different weapons. As well as this, Dante has these constant pauses inbetween attacks that make him feel slow, as well as clunky.

So we are being bullies just because I am complaining that the advanced combat system isn't up to par with the previous games? That doesn't make any sense. :/
clunky?
u lose two seconds, wow....sooooo slow and clunky, the pause is attention to detail in the animation because that's the way this dante is, like the difference between infamous 1 cole and infamous 2 cole

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
a
Kablooey is essentially the "ghetto" version of Lucifer. It only shoots and detonates and there's not much variety for it.

images

Top Bottom