• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Hot news: Itsuno wanted to do a DmC2!

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
Personally I’m fine with them doing a couple of games without him. If they had done DMC 4 properly they probably could’ve left him out of it.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I mean, dante already has done everything in DMC1, he defeated the Demon God and reclaimed his father's powers. His story arc was finished. In 2&4, dante was barely there in the story. The only 2 games that had Dante at the center of the story was DMC 1&3.

DMC 5 is said to be end of the "sons of sparda saga" which is very vague but my guess is that it means Dante is involved in the plot more than he was before. IMO i just don't see the point keeping him around just for fan service, they should just get rid of him if they don't want to make the games with dante anymore.
I was just answering your question "why do we need a new protagonist?".

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
I actually have to agree with some of you guys on this.

I feel like Dante's character pretty much peeked once Devil May Cry 3 and Devil May Cry 1 were done. After that, there really wasn't much of a challenge for him anymore and he became fan service.

I'm sure a lot of fans would probably say "well he's the heart of Devil May Cry!" That's true, but if that were the case, then why is he playing second fiddle to Nero when he should be the protagonist? There's just not much to do with him anymore. Every major challenge in his life was long behind him until DMC5, in which case it might be a powered up Vergil.

But if he beats THAT, then what would be the point of him carrying the series anymore since he's been said to surpass the most powerful demon to ever exist?

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
I’m not against him being in Devil May Cry games, but only if he’s ACTUALLY needed. Devil May Cry 4 was a game where I felt like it wasn’t really necessary him being there. I’m not saying that this game will be the same case (it’s meant to be the end of the son of Sparda saga), but Dante definitely could’ve been left out of 4, that’s for sure.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
I also think Capcom believes that DMC won't sell as well if they to Dante out.

Given that they didn't even bother to improve Dante's gameplay, it's painfully clear they are afraid to do anything of value with the character. He's just this weird black hole of 2008ness where no improvements to the character can escape. And honestly, after the last time they made improvements to the series, people lot their ever-lovin' ****, so I don't really blame them.

Last edited:

DarkSlayerVergil

I actually have to agree with some of you guys on this.

I feel like Dante's character pretty much peeked once Devil May Cry 3 and Devil May Cry 1 were done. After that, there really wasn't much of a challenge for him anymore and he became fan service.

I'm sure a lot of fans would probably say "well he's the heart of Devil May Cry!" That's true, but if that were the case, then why is he playing second fiddle to Nero when he should be the protagonist? There's just not much to do with him anymore. Every major challenge in his life was long behind him until DMC5, in which case it might be a powered up Vergil.

But if he beats THAT, then what would be the point of him carrying the series anymore since he's been said to surpass the most powerful demon to ever exist?
This right here so much, I'll always say that Capcom most terrible decision was making Dante more powerful than his father and Mundus because who would be a challenge for Dante.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I’m not against him being in Devil May Cry games, but only if he’s ACTUALLY needed. Devil May Cry 4 was a game where I felt like it wasn’t really necessary him being there. I’m not saying that this game will be the same case (it’s meant to be the end of the son of Sparda saga), but Dante definitely could’ve been left out of 4, that’s for sure.
Looking back, Dante's role as a psuedo-antagonist/eventual mentor was a good idea but not used well. Granted Vergil probably would have been better as a pseudo-mentor/uneasy ally turned antagonist but you could still use Dante as the guy forced to clean-up after Nero loses to Vergil.

Still I think Dante's role as a mentor would have worked better if Nero was more developed as a character. People were turned off because at first glance Nero just felt like another white haired smart aleck so making him more unique would have helped. If he's more different than you could develop the two in opposition like what they did with Vergil and Dante in 3. Plus having Dante teach Nero some of the mechanics or giving him advice only Dante can give would have been neat.

Honestly i think the only stories I'd replace Dante in are the anime and 2. The Lady and Trish teamup episode felt more compelling than the rest of the season so i thought about rewriting it following them instead would better. Granted Dante could have worked if they actually gave him an arc or a struggle etc.

For 2 there was old concept art with another character in a green jacket that was gonna be the lead. So maybe using him instead would have made 2 easier to clean up. Granted people might have missed him like they do with Lucia.

PS. Would people be ok if future DmC sequels had seperate stories with different protagonists?

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
@Z218: I agree with you about the anime, definitely. Probably would’ve been a lot better if the anime actually focused on Lady and Trish’s partnership.

For DMC 2 they could’ve simply used Lucia for the story as a lot of it was set around her. But I still definitely think they didn’t really need Dante in 4. People moaned anyway when they saw Nero (calling him knock-off Dante), some still do say that. They would’ve done the same either way if Dante was in the game or not because of the white hair and the punkish DMC 3 attitude. They couldn't have changed the hair if Nero was related to Sparda, but they could’ve had Dante tie in towards the end of the game in a cutscene or something. DMC 4 was practically Nero’s story with Dante taking a backseat anyway.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
DmC has way too many hanging threads that it would feel really odd to just drop all that. Plus I'm actually invested in where thise characters' lives will go next.

So to answer your question, no.

DmC will always feel left open with that ending.

Maybe one day we’ll get a sequel.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Theory: Itsuno isn't too keen on Dante because he's Kamiya's creation, and has wanted to phase him out for Nero (or DmC Dante) for a long time to move the series forward without clinging to the past.

DmC has way too many hanging threads that it would feel really odd to just drop all that. Plus I'm actually invested in where thise characters' lives will go next.

So to answer your question, no.

Boy do I have something for you that you may totally not care about because eh

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
Theory: Itsuno isn't too keen on Dante because he's Kamiya's creation, and has wanted to phase him out for Nero (or DmC Dante) for a long time to move the series forward without clinging to the past.
Reminds me of the situation with the Persona series. The entire dev team got swapped in between 2 & 3 and as a result the devs absolutely refuse to touch anything pre-3 and so we've had multiple spinoff games of crossovers between the casts of 3 & 4, and now they're making the biggest crossover yet... 3, 4 and 5! :banghead:

Carlos

A powerful demon
Xen-Omni 2020
No, it wasn't the marketing. It never stood a chance with this fanbase. They hated it the moment the announcement trailer dropped; people spread rumors about dial-a-combo and overheating guns with no basis; they complained about Dante's hair despite a rep pointing out that he had a splash of white and him saying there's a reason; they claimed Tameem put himself in the game despite looking nothing like the placeholder, it being completely unrealistic that two companies would sign off on it, and that Tim Phillips portrays Dante; and just generally people refused to accept that it was a game that was made differently, but not "bad". They did propose it as a game that was more welcoming to newcomers, but according to fans, that was an insult.
Nope. It was definitely marketing. The hate towards DmC stemmed far back to the initial trailer. Had they waited until the final game was completed, none of this hate would have spiraled out of control the way it did. It was obvious they didn't do any of that focus testing to see how people would react to a drug addict, punk looking Dante. The second version of Dante (the final version we got in DmC), didn't really fix the issue people originally had about Dante. It exacerbated the issue rather than fix it. So, a lot of people didn't bother to buy the game. Those that did, however spoke ill of the final game because it did have some issues.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Nope. It was definitely marketing. The hate towards DmC stemmed far back to the initial trailer. Had they waited until the final game was completed, none of this hate would have spiraled out of control the way it did. It was obvious they didn't do any of that focus testing to see how people would react to a drug addict, punk looking Dante. The second version of Dante (the final version we got in DmC), didn't really fix the issue people originally had about Dante. It exacerbated the issue rather than fix it. So, a lot of people didn't bother to buy the game. Those that did, however spoke ill of the final game because it did have some issues.

The marketing did what marketing does, inform the consumer about the product. Yet, people literally ignored the developers making the game in favor of doomsaying and spreading baseless rumors. People bitched how Dane looked like a drug addict, despite the concise explanation of him being a guy who loves to fight, and therefore gets into fights a lot, which owed to the mugshot of him being all bruised up, but no, people saw that picture, and I guess...assumed he'd just always look that way? Even though injuries heal, and Dante's injuries doubly so. But nooooo, he looks like a drug addict because he happens to be all bruised up!

People also bitched how he didn't have white hair, despite him having a splotch of white from the get-go, and Jones telling people that this was an origin story, and the hair color would make sense in the end. People listened to rumors of dial-a-combo and overheating guns, and not when the devs said that it would play and feel just like a DMC game, that it had the "DNA" the over-the-top slashy-shooty-stylin' franchise is known for.

People brought up concerns, and some were addressed, yet many demanded things as if they knew exactly how the game should be made, which is just flat-out insulting. Heavns no~ Angel Lift can be spammed and it keeps the weakest enemy in the game aloft, it's aaaaall wrong, it must be fixed! Telling the devs that "this should work like this" is bullshit, when it works the way the devs already intended it to. There's nothing the marketing could have done to appease the people who were just angry it wasn't DMC5, and was meant to appeal to a wider audience.

It's fine to not be interested in a game, to each their own, but people were damn-near militant against the game, refusing to listen to what the devs said if it ran counter to their opinion. The games "issues" were made up from it not being DMC5, but it was a damn fine game in and of itself, only made better by the definitive edition.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
People kept complaining about DmC Dante having black hair back from the initial trailers and they were still complaining about it even when they changed his hair to brown. It just goes to show that first impressions didn’t set in well with the fans.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
But his hair was always black? They didn't change it to brown >_>

The only thing that changed from the announcement trailer was some subtle differences in his coat and shirt, and Tim Phillips' likeness instead of the placeholder.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
It’s probably just my eyes. I do have pretty crap eyesight. It always looked dark brown to me :unsure:

DarkSlayerVergil

But his hair was always black? They didn't change it to brown >_>

The only thing that changed from the announcement trailer was some subtle differences in his coat and shirt, and Tim Phillips' likeness instead of the placeholder.
Honestly I really loved the blotch of white hair he had, it was a really nice touch.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
Not gonna lie I was pretty excited after tgs10. I thought that trailer was awesome and very curious about how it was gonna turn out.

I actually used DmC in a PR class project in college. I think i got an A-.

Oh welll....onto the next.

Top Bottom