• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

How Devil May Cry to be adapted in HBO?

Ronin

Let's rock, baby!
What are your thoughts on DMC being adapted into the The CW? Surely it oughta give us Blade vibes with Wesley Snipes.

Introduce a fresh new batch of Devil Hunters & Huntresses. Plus with Nero in charge. That goes for Dante & Vergil while in the Demon World.

Last edited:

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
What are your thoughts on DMC being adapted into the The CW? Surely it oughta give us Blade vibes with Wesley Snipes.

Introduce a fresh new batch of Devil Hunters & Huntresses. Plus with Nero in charge. That goes for Dante & Vergil while in the Demon World.

Your thread title is misleading. It should be "how would DMC work on the CW?"

The CW is infamous for its teen dramas and the DC shows. The DC shows are pretty loose based on the comics so a DMC show would follow suit. So it would be another reboot like the NT one.

Budget would be an issue so a movie is preferable.

The anime had the right idea but poorly executed. So just do that better.

Your idea is fine but I'd have Lady in charge not Nero. She's more believable as a leader. Nero would pop up but very sparingly (because of Budget).

Ronin

Let's rock, baby!
Your thread title is misleading. It should be "how would DMC work on the CW?"

The CW is infamous for its teen dramas and the DC shows. The DC shows are pretty loose based on the comics so a DMC show would follow suit. So it would be another reboot like the NT one.

Budget would be an issue so a movie is preferable.

The anime had the right idea but poorly executed. So just do that better.

Your idea is fine but I'd have Lady in charge not Nero. She's more believable as a leader. Nero would pop up but very sparingly (because of Budget).

I fixed it.

berto

I Saw the Devil
You're giving the CW too much credit. They're not exactly known for an action focused and quality of it work. Their DC shows don't match with Blade and they're not budgeted well enough to pull it off, either. Even Supernatural wouldn't be that good a match for a DMC/Blade type show.

Ronin

Let's rock, baby!
Can imagine new hunters and huntresses not just Caucasian, but also those African, Asian, Latino/Latina, south Asian and southeast Asian, indigenous and middle eastern.

Last edited:

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
@berto Maybe it could be like Angel? Just with less episodes and a bigger budget? Just start from the Tony Redgrave stuff in the first light novel and go from there.

Last edited:

Ronin

Let's rock, baby!
If you were to make new characters out of these ethnic backgrounds for new Devil Hunters & Huntresses. And possibly new magic users like V, what would be suitable names for them since Dante & Vergil are based on the Divine Comedy as well as Nero means "black" and after a Roman Emperor?

Any names that can relate to things that are demonic & angelic in a way.

Say an Asian Devil Hunter named Benkei after a Japanese monk.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
If you wanna pitch a rebooted version of an existing character or a whole new character, this is the thread for you.

I'd start us off-

For DmC, Nero and V are the two characters we'd reboot last. Mostly because they'd be redundant with a younger Dante/Vergil running around. It'd be easier to merge them which is what often happens to the various versions of the Flash in most DC adaptations.

Which isn't that hard to do in DmC because New Dante feels like a mix of old Dante and Nero. Vergil feels like the guy who would use summons and read William Blake anyway.

But the V is not Vergil is pretty big on Archiveofourown.org. It gave me a big brainwave and I'd reboot Nero/V as seperate characters with no family connection with Dante/vergil.

V comes first because its my username.

In this universe, V stands for Vijay. He's a mage of South Asian descent and with a dubious character. His main summon is a snake spirit that was his childhood imaginary friend.

A big influence is the Doctor, John Constantine, Uryu Ishida and others. He's a more cerebral character than the others, often contemplating murky scenarios with an amoral undertone.

He has a previous dynamic with Lucia.

His real name is probably not Vijay.

For reference- Shazad Latif as Dr. Jekyll (Penny Dreadful)

latest

I thought of a few stories or "cases" for V that had a few ocs.

One was a woman named Farah who was raised by fairies. She was abducted as a child as part of a fairy ritual and raised by them. She's a slender black woman who fights hand to hand. She is named after Farah Black from Dirk Gently.

Another was a hunter couple called Yusuf and Saffiya. Yusuf's an ex-sniper from the military and Saffiya was a med student. Visually they are based off Ranveer Singh and Alia Bhatt's characters from the film "Gully Boy".
Gully_Boy_poster.jpg

@absolitude no worries bro, take your time.
@Ronin

My ocs from another thread I did. They could be reused here.

Last edited:

berto

I Saw the Devil
@berto Maybe it could be like Angel? Just with less episodes and a bigger budget? Just start from the Tony Redgrave stuff in the first light novel and go from there.
That would work. The only thing is that DMC is not popular enough to get the treatment.

Morgan

Premium
Xen-Ace 2021
I can confidently say there are two types of people in this thread:
People who think the CW is any good at a DMC-like,
and people who actually know the CW is trash at DMC-likes, probably because they paid attention to the shows and the audiences they're for.

If you were to make new characters out of these ethnic backgrounds for new Devil Hunters & Huntresses. And possibly new magic users like V, what would be suitable names for them since Dante & Vergil are based on the Divine Comedy as well as Nero means "black" and after a Roman Emperor?

Any names that can relate to things that are demonic & angelic in a way.

Say an Asian Devil Hunter named Benkei after a Japanese monk.
This part, especially. With how the CW has handled The Flash and similar Arrowverse shows, none of that will happen. The Flash by itself is proof enough that they don't give a damn about diversity to do it well. It's garbage at it. Among other things:

The star of the show will be Caucasian. Other ethnic backgrounds are supporting characters in an ensemble, and an exercise in tokenism.

The weekly conflict will be seemingly insurmountable every episode only for the episode to resolve with someone in the Diverse Ensemble Cast telling the hero to perform a basic action that he should intuitively know how to do. This ruins any existing mythos of the character being "self-made and intelligent" and the fault will be placed on the Diverse Ensemble Cast as if they're a collective vampire sapping the hero of their positive traits. The Cast will be blamed, and not the writers for not knowing how to write their hero.

The hero will perform some increasingly escalating morally repugnant nonsense based entirely around his sense of entitlement. Even though the hero is presented as straight-laced and Do No Wrong, his entitled actions endanger the Cast and/or anyone he's supposed to have basic empathy for. Excepting rare cases of justified anger towards the hero, the Cast mostly revolves around the hero to tell him that his own terrible choices are not his fault and how pure and morally upstanding he otherwise truly is, even if his existing attitude/entitlement might've rewritten reality once or twice or five times, caused a few ecological disasters if applicable, or happened to give rise to his own Villainous Future Self. These verbal head pats don't apply to any of the Cast with their own conflicts. If anyone else in the cast comes across a Parallel Universe Self, that version is unequivocally evil to sow doubt in the cast member's heroism. even if the Main Hero has met more Evil Versions of himself or villainous parallels/foils/whatever than anyone else in the show, and more than one version per season.

The hero will be a hypocrite who takes anyone in the Cast to task for the same actions he's done dozens of times over. When it turns out those actions and the result of them are actually his fault, it gets swept aside. In any event where someone in the Cast carries justified anger at the hero, some failure of a moral lesson will happen on them to teach them that they were wrong, even though they're not and the lesson itself makes no sense. The hero will continue to be selfish and entitled even though the rest of the cast has been through worse and had less excuses.

If the hero has a love interest that's not Caucasian, the writing will sabotage her, leading to fandom complaints that the Love Interest is boring, badly-acted, "like a sister" to the hero and not romantically viable (coming from shippers who'd pair the hero with an Actual Relative anyway as long as it's a dude), useless, should be killed off, etc. Not coincidentally, the love interest won't have her own story independent of the hero and might even behave in ways that inconvenience him such as being rightfully angry about him pulling off some morally repugnant nonsense, inflaming fandom anger more than usual. Even when a season in the show is About Her, it's really going to be About Him and how bad his pain is, because she's secondary to the point where she'll have the least amount of episode appearances in that same Season That Is About Her. IOW, think of how much the writers of DMC don't give a damn about Kyrie and the other women in the cast, and multiply that.

This has nothing at all to do with the Hero and what he looks like, compared to the Cast and what they look like. [/sarcasm]

That's all if the hero is a Barry-like character and meant to come across as a Moral Paragon. If he's an Oliver-like (anti-heroic), then the show will spend a bunch of time dunking on him for not being as heroic as he could be. Crossover episodes that involve the Actual Moral Paragon/Barry-like showing up to the Oliver-like's turf will have that Hero and his Cast dunking on the Oliver-like for not being as Good as the Barry-like, and teaching the Oliver-like the Right Way To Hero, even though the Barry-like casually does things like killing C-tier villains offhand and violating human rights on the regular, but preaching about second chances and sparing Parallel Universe Nazis or something because of an arbitrary No Killing Rule.

Or, to make it simpler,

Is the hero black, as well as the rest of the cast?
Dismissed as Woke B.S., cancelled after a few seasons (Hi, Black Lightning! .... Bye, Black Lightning!) or the show doesn't get past its backdoor pilot (Painkiller)

Is the hero a woman, as well as the rest of the cast?
Dismissed as Woke B.S., cancelled after a few seasons, or the show doesn't get past its backdoor pilot (Green Arrow and the Canaries) unless it's backed by Geoff Johns (Stargirl)

Is the hero a black woman?
Dismissed as Woke B.S. Immediately. (Batwoman Season 2) Pending cancellation after a few seasons.

Is the hero gay?
Literally who? (Batwoman Season 1)

But hey, good thing we have Yet Another Show About Superman.

Carlos

A powerful demon
Xen-Omni 2020
You're giving the CW too much credit. They're not exactly known for an action focused and quality of it work. Their DC shows don't match with Blade and they're not budgeted well enough to pull it off, either. Even Supernatural wouldn't be that good a match for a DMC/Blade type show.
I agree with this post and statement. Take the DC comics shows... What do you think people think of CW shows like Catwoman or Batwoman...?

Think about it.

If you answered SJW trash, then you answered correctly. Anything other than that is wrong.
I can confidently say there are two types of people in this thread:
People who think the CW is any good at a DMC-like,
and people who actually know the CW is trash at DMC-likes, probably because they paid attention to the shows and the audiences they're for.

This part, especially. With how the CW has handled The Flash and similar Arrowverse shows, none of that will happen. The Flash by itself is proof enough that they don't give a damn about diversity to do it well. It's garbage at it. Among other things:

The star of the show will be Caucasian. Other ethnic backgrounds are supporting characters in an ensemble, and an exercise in tokenism.

The weekly conflict will be seemingly insurmountable every episode only for the episode to resolve with someone in the Diverse Ensemble Cast telling the hero to perform a basic action that he should intuitively know how to do. This ruins any existing mythos of the character being "self-made and intelligent" and the fault will be placed on the Diverse Ensemble Cast as if they're a collective vampire sapping the hero of their positive traits. The Cast will be blamed, and not the writers for not knowing how to write their hero.

The hero will perform some increasingly escalating morally repugnant nonsense based entirely around his sense of entitlement. Even though the hero is presented as straight-laced and Do No Wrong, his entitled actions endanger the Cast and/or anyone he's supposed to have basic empathy for. Excepting rare cases of justified anger towards the hero, the Cast mostly revolves around the hero to tell him that his own terrible choices are not his fault and how pure and morally upstanding he otherwise truly is, even if his existing attitude/entitlement might've rewritten reality once or twice or five times, caused a few ecological disasters if applicable, or happened to give rise to his own Villainous Future Self. These verbal head pats don't apply to any of the Cast with their own conflicts. If anyone else in the cast comes across a Parallel Universe Self, that version is unequivocally evil to sow doubt in the cast member's heroism. even if the Main Hero has met more Evil Versions of himself or villainous parallels/foils/whatever than anyone else in the show, and more than one version per season.

The hero will be a hypocrite who takes anyone in the Cast to task for the same actions he's done dozens of times over. When it turns out those actions and the result of them are actually his fault, it gets swept aside. In any event where someone in the Cast carries justified anger at the hero, some failure of a moral lesson will happen on them to teach them that they were wrong, even though they're not and the lesson itself makes no sense. The hero will continue to be selfish and entitled even though the rest of the cast has been through worse and had less excuses.

If the hero has a love interest that's not Caucasian, the writing will sabotage her, leading to fandom complaints that the Love Interest is boring, badly-acted, "like a sister" to the hero and not romantically viable (coming from shippers who'd pair the hero with an Actual Relative anyway as long as it's a dude), useless, should be killed off, etc. Not coincidentally, the love interest won't have her own story independent of the hero and might even behave in ways that inconvenience him such as being rightfully angry about him pulling off some morally repugnant nonsense, inflaming fandom anger more than usual. Even when a season in the show is About Her, it's really going to be About Him and how bad his pain is, because she's secondary to the point where she'll have the least amount of episode appearances in that same Season That Is About Her. IOW, think of how much the writers of DMC don't give a damn about Kyrie and the other women in the cast, and multiply that.

This has nothing at all to do with the Hero and what he looks like, compared to the Cast and what they look like. [/sarcasm]

That's all if the hero is a Barry-like character and meant to come across as a Moral Paragon. If he's an Oliver-like (anti-heroic), then the show will spend a bunch of time dunking on him for not being as heroic as he could be. Crossover episodes that involve the Actual Moral Paragon/Barry-like showing up to the Oliver-like's turf will have that Hero and his Cast dunking on the Oliver-like for not being as Good as the Barry-like, and teaching the Oliver-like the Right Way To Hero, even though the Barry-like casually does things like killing C-tier villains offhand and violating human rights on the regular, but preaching about second chances and sparing Parallel Universe Nazis or something because of an arbitrary No Killing Rule.

Or, to make it simpler,

Is the hero black, as well as the rest of the cast?
Dismissed as Woke B.S., cancelled after a few seasons (Hi, Black Lightning! .... Bye, Black Lightning!) or the show doesn't get past its backdoor pilot (Painkiller)

Is the hero a woman, as well as the rest of the cast?
Dismissed as Woke B.S., cancelled after a few seasons, or the show doesn't get past its backdoor pilot (Green Arrow and the Canaries) unless it's backed by Geoff Johns (Stargirl)

Is the hero a black woman?
Dismissed as Woke B.S. Immediately. (Batwoman Season 2) Pending cancellation after a few seasons.

Is the hero gay?
Literally who? (Batwoman Season 1)

But hey, good thing we have Yet Another Show About Superman.
And this post got it right. It's a bit sarcastic, but it's true. I mean the next Superman ain't going to be Henry Caville.

Superman is going to be played by...

A black man.

I don't have a problem with black folks, but this kind of writing is very woke. Very, very woke.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
If I get to pitch a DMC TV show, I'm making my V fanfics a reality. Especially the V/Lucia stuff.

Nero fans BEWARE!!!!

Honestly Nero feels tailor made for the CW so I'd just do a show on him. 4 and 5 are the bookends of the show. The middle content of the show would be new stories. The political upheaval in Fortuna after Sanctus's death interests me more than Nero's parent drama. Both would be potential plots but one takes priority over the other.

Lady and Trish feel tailor made for a Buddy Comedy.

@Morgan I'm just pitching tv shows I'd watch or write.

@Carlos That's more of a rumor for the movies. All we know is JJ Abrams and Ta-nehisi Coates are teaming up for a pitch. Besides a Black Superman isn't that big a deal because we already have two.

We also have a Chinese Superman

And a Mexican Superman

We'll probably get a Middle Eastern Superman any day now but till then there's always this guy...

@berto it's less popularity and more would someone make the connection to pitch it.

But Google is a thing and we have a wiki and TVTROPES page so....I can dream.

Most likely they would come up with their own take on Dante's backstory. Which is fine because there is alot of blank space between Eva's death and the games.

Nt''s problem was not having an exit strategy planned for TGS10 Dante.

They were playing chess by checkers rule.

Last edited:

Ronin

Let's rock, baby!
Um... can we talk about new Devil Hunters & Huntresses from different countries please? There are many kinds of lore that can be similar to the Divine Comedy in a way.

Like I said, someone based off of Benkei from Asia.

A Latino/Latina Devil Hunter/Huntress that can relate to Aztec/Mayan/Incan.

Carlos

A powerful demon
Xen-Omni 2020
Um... can we talk about new Devil Hunters & Huntresses from different countries please? There are many kinds of lore that can be similar to the Divine Comedy in a way.

Like I said, someone based off of Benkei from Asia.

A Latino/Latina Devil Hunter/Huntress that can relate to Aztec/Mayan/Incan.
We can, the problem is writers write woke crap that has NOTHING to do with the source material.

If CW writes DMC, you're not going to get what you want, but woke garbage. That's why everyone isn't happy about the idea of CW doing a DMC show.

I'd take Netflix over CW any day of the week, especially how they handled Castlvania.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
@Ronin
No because we aren't your focus group Capcom.

giphy.gif

@Carlos
I'm excited for the upcoming Adi Shankar produced DMC animated series. Adi Shankar also produced the Castlevania series Netflix.

I adore it but let's not pretend Netflix is a mythical creature just doing it for the art.

They are a streaming service catering to a global audience. They have given us both the Marvel shows and the American version of Death Note.

They also did Chilling Adventures of Sabrina made by the same people who gave us Riverdale.

They created Wu Assassins a decent martial arts fantasy show with this cringy scene.

I love it but it's totally virtue signaling.

Netflix ain't above it all and neither was Marvel and DC.

Kate Kane references Don't ask Don't tell in her debut during the early 2000s.

Green Arrow was known for being an outspoken liberal activist during the 70s. Die hard Green Arrow fans wanted the show to be more openly political.

I could go on but the source material was never apolitical, consistent or set in stone.

Last edited:

Carlos

A powerful demon
Xen-Omni 2020
@Ronin
No because we aren't your focus group Capcom.

giphy.gif

@Carlos
I'm excited for the upcoming Adi Shankar produced DMC animated series. Adi Shankar also produced the Castlevania series Netflix.

I adore it but let's not pretend Netflix is a mythical creature just doing it for the art.

They are a streaming service catering to a global audience. They have given us both the Marvel shows and the American version of Death Note.

They also did Chilling Adventures of Sabrina made by the same people who gave us Riverdale.

They created Wu Assassins a decent martial arts fantasy show with this cringy scene.

I love it but it's totally virtue signaling.

Netflix ain't above it all and neither was Marvel and DC.

Kate Kane references Don't ask Don't tell in her debut during the early 2000s.

Green Arrow was known for being an outspoken liberal activist during the 70s. Die hard Green Arrow fans wanted the show to be more openly political.

I could go on.
I agree for the most part. When I said I'd choose Netflix over CW any day is because when it comes down to it, they make some good decisions. Castlevania is one of those decisions (greenlighting the project), what i don't like is some of their decisions. Like cuties. I'm not going to explain why, because it's sickening. Ugh.

I don't even know why they thought that was a good move.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
@Ronin It's a joke bro. Relax.

Besides I already create ocs in the other threads go read those ;).

You can always comment on those.

On topic Vergil is the hardest to give a show. Best option is post DMC5 he wanders Earth helping areas recovering from the Qlipoth. Its like that episode "Zuko Alone" from the last airbender. That episode was a homage to Samurai Cinema.

If he needs a supporting cast use the ones from the Live Hacker musical. I prefer them to patty and Morrison.

There's always the whole Dante and Vergil flip allegiances that are common nowadays in the fandom.

Visions of V could work but switching between V and Vergil would be more

Last edited:

Morgan

Premium
Xen-Ace 2021
@Morgan I'm just pitching tv shows I'd watch or write.
Yeah, but for the CW, not even pitching the show can save you. They can fire you over "creative differences" and bring in a team of writers who don't actually understand what you're going for with your idea or why you have the characters that you wanted there, and they'll write their versions even if the characters get derailed from one season to another or even one episode to the next, just to bring in drama and reel in viewers and try to be hip with cringy dialogue. Or it'll "cost too much" to even make the show and it gets cancelled two weeks into streaming before the first season is even done (Hi, Swamp Thing! .... Bye, Swamp Thing!).

You want characters represented with ethnically diverse and inspired casting? Chances are that those actors, despite importance to your story, will end up underpaid, overworked, won't get invited to TV events/awards ceremonies, have to pay an exorbitant amount of money out of pocket to do the same thing other actors did with their expenses covered, and get a diminished role from one season to another despite attracting viewers. Like Peter Shinkoda. Because the head of Marvel TV at the time was spouting Ubisoft-tier b.s. about "No one gives a F about Asians" and they think those types of characters "don't sell"/"don't put butts in seats"/whatever. This is Daredevil (or rather, Daredevil's enemy) we're talking about here. For a Netflix show.

Even AMC isn't safe. Anyone watch "Into the Badlands"? Whoever just raised their hand or said Yes is probably lying because that show got canned after 3 seasons despite starring Daniel Wu (among others), being based on Journey to the West, and headed by Alfred Gough and Miles Millar. Y'know, the duo that ran Smallville for seven seasons and the show lasted three more seasons after that and then it had its own comics run for "season 11" after that. ITB being an original property made up of "great tastes" should have gotten just as much chance to exist at least long enough for syndication, but didn't. But hey, at least there's The Walking Dead, which also is on its tenth season despite a declining viewership, trash writing and having overstayed its welcome about six seasons prior.

I'm not saying don't have fun, I'm just lamenting out loud at how many fossils still exist on the executive tier making it difficult for shows to break the status quo without being watered down or making impossible numbers while middle-of-the-road blandness gets extended. I don't remember this much of a stink being raised about Xena or Charmed having women in starring roles, or even complaints about cartoons like Rugrats or Hey Arnold making it super obvious that Tommy and Harold are Jewish characters in a multi-ethnic cast. Modern media jumps the same hurdles from decades ago. It's just sad.

Anyway the CW is pretty bad at these things. I wouldn't pitch a show to them if they were the last network on earth.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
@Morgan "By just have fun" I just meant the thread. Everybody's just taking the CW suggestion too seriously.

Thanks for the advice because I'm working on my writing etc. Some of it I knew already some of it I didn't.

I did actually watch Into the Badlands season 1 on Netflix.

But do you have a wishlist for a DMC TV show? What's your dream take? Do you have any thoughts on my half-baked ideas? Or Ronin's

Let's throw him a bone.

@AgentRedgrave @Lain @absolitude @DragonMaster2010

Top Bottom