• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

How Devil May Cry to be adapted in HBO?

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
Who hath summoned me?

But do you have a wishlist for a DMC TV show? What's your dream take? Do you have any thoughts on my half-baked ideas? Or Ronin's

Let's throw him a bone.

@Lain
Hmm...well I assume that budget is going to be a major limitation to be worked around so going balls to the walls over the top action is definitely out. Therefore what I would probably be interested most in seeing something similar in nature to the original "Garo" tv show which struck a good balance between action and horror. Have demons consume humans and use their corpses as shells to walk around in normal society or something. Things like Devil Trigger would have to be used very sparingly for maximum effect. Maybe say something like Dante can't control himself very well in DT mode as his inhuman instincts take over so he tries to avoid it.

Funnily enough I wouldn't mind an episode structure similar to that of the DMC anime...but y'know, actually well executed - in the Pilot Dante saves a young girl from demons who are plotting something nefarious. Dante spends the next series of episodes solving seemingly unrelated cases but Dante is no fool and one by one uncovers the connection that allows him to put together the whole picture and understand what's really going on. Then he engages in the climax with the antagonist whilst being supported by the people in the prior cases he helped out. Afterwards he rides off into the sunset for another case, I dunno.

Just a few ideas.

Ronin

Let's rock, baby!
Can imagine a group of twin daughters from another family similar to Sparda that Nero & Nico meet.

Either heroines or villainesses, depending of they be huntresses or not.

They'd be the opposites of Dante & Vergil in some way.

Morgan

Premium
Xen-Ace 2021
@Morgan "By just have fun" I just meant the thread. Everybody's just taking the CW suggestion too seriously.

Thanks for the advice because I'm working on my writing etc. Some of it I knew already some of it I didn't.

I did actually watch Into the Badlands season 1 on Netflix.

But do you have a wishlist for a DMC TV show? What's your dream take? Do you have any thoughts on my half-baked ideas? Or Ronin's

Let's throw him a bone.
Gah, this means I have to actually think of something. I mentally checked out of the series around DMC4 SE so it's gonna take me a bit to provide my own wishlist of content that isn't just me repeating my previous ideas (including rewrites of previous games and/or the whole series).

I'd probably want an Agent Carter-ish show around Beryl. A short, tightly focused 8-ep miniseries about her searching for an artifact that'll help her make sense of what happened to her dad that twisted him into a demon. Dante could get a cameo, but the world doesn't revolve around just him so I'd personally nix that. If it's live-action, her being human limits the CGI to demons and spells, where the rest of the budget goes into stuntwork and set design if Beryl goes into non-modern locations. If it's animated, pay the animators better money and more time.

Ronin

Let's rock, baby!
@V's patron if you were me in creating new yet female twins from another family like Sparda, what would you name them as, since Dante & Vergil?

Either Nero fights them or they alongside him on some mission.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
@V's patron if you were me in creating new yet female twins from another family like Sparda, what would you name them as, since Dante & Vergil?

Either Nero fights them or they alongside him on some mission.
Castor and Pollux.

@Morgan I dug Agent Carter so I approve. Get Hayley Atwell to be Beryll. ;)

Last edited:

absolitude

the devil is not as black as he painted
the only show i know of CW would be the DC ones. They could do it in the first season, then lose direction for the next ones.. Stargirl and Superman & Lois technically looking good btw.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
@AgentRedgrave pitched a DmC centered movie in the other thread so I'd follow his lead for a tv show.

DmC Dante lends himself to the CW more. Most of my picks for him got started on the CW so it's a homecoming.

@absolitude that's not far from the games. First game is good, 2nd game is less than good, 3rd game is better, 4th game is alright etc.

AgentRedgrave

Legendary Devil Hunter
@AgentRedgrave pitched a DmC centered movie in the other thread so I'd follow his lead for a tv show.

DmC Dante lends himself to the CW more. Most of my picks for him got started on the CW so it's a homecoming.

@absolitude that's not far from the games. First game is good, 2nd game is less than good, 3rd game is better, 4th game is alright etc.
Basically DmC's plot with classic DMC elements mixed in to please fans of both and to give it a mix of urban and gothic aesthetic

Morgan

Premium
Xen-Ace 2021
Days of Our Lives or Dawson's Creek era Jensen Ackles is a Hell Yes from me. Smallville era would've been fine too. Post-Supernatural Jensen is a maybe.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
You know speaking of CW shows. Anybody else think Jensen Ackles wouldn't be a bad choice to play Dante?
I preferred Ian Somerhaulder from the Vampire Diaries more but I see the appeal.

Granted I can't seperate him from Dean. He would've worked as Chris Redfield tho.

He's closer to 40 so maybe he'd work as Dante in DMC4/5. Just play up the mentor angle more than the games did.

AgentRedgrave

Legendary Devil Hunter
I preferred Ian Somerhaulder from the Vampire Diaries more but I see the appeal.

Granted I can't seperate him from Dean. He would've worked as Chris Redfield tho.

He's closer to 40 so maybe he'd work as Dante in DMC4/5. Just play up the mentor angle more than the games did.
I know right? Ian looks just like him

But yeah DMC4/DMC5 Dante was more or less what I was thinking.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I'd probably get the rights for Darkstalkers and add them.

They are demons, Dante's a demon hunter.

It'll write itself ;).

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
Do you want Dante vs Jedah on screen? Because that's how you get Dante vs Jedah on screen. ;)
Quiet! You'll spoil my masterplan.

I don't mind doing a Capcom verse and doing crossovers.

Like Dr.Light and Wily retooling their robotics research to be anti-demon weapons.

Or Mike Haggar hires Dante to save his daughter.

DMC3 takes place in Badger City ;).

Etc.

windleopard

I can confidently say there are two types of people in this thread:
People who think the CW is any good at a DMC-like,
and people who actually know the CW is trash at DMC-likes, probably because they paid attention to the shows and the audiences they're for.

This part, especially. With how the CW has handled The Flash and similar Arrowverse shows, none of that will happen. The Flash by itself is proof enough that they don't give a damn about diversity to do it well. It's garbage at it. Among other things:

The star of the show will be Caucasian. Other ethnic backgrounds are supporting characters in an ensemble, and an exercise in tokenism.

The weekly conflict will be seemingly insurmountable every episode only for the episode to resolve with someone in the Diverse Ensemble Cast telling the hero to perform a basic action that he should intuitively know how to do. This ruins any existing mythos of the character being "self-made and intelligent" and the fault will be placed on the Diverse Ensemble Cast as if they're a collective vampire sapping the hero of their positive traits. The Cast will be blamed, and not the writers for not knowing how to write their hero.

The hero will perform some increasingly escalating morally repugnant nonsense based entirely around his sense of entitlement. Even though the hero is presented as straight-laced and Do No Wrong, his entitled actions endanger the Cast and/or anyone he's supposed to have basic empathy for. Excepting rare cases of justified anger towards the hero, the Cast mostly revolves around the hero to tell him that his own terrible choices are not his fault and how pure and morally upstanding he otherwise truly is, even if his existing attitude/entitlement might've rewritten reality once or twice or five times, caused a few ecological disasters if applicable, or happened to give rise to his own Villainous Future Self. These verbal head pats don't apply to any of the Cast with their own conflicts. If anyone else in the cast comes across a Parallel Universe Self, that version is unequivocally evil to sow doubt in the cast member's heroism. even if the Main Hero has met more Evil Versions of himself or villainous parallels/foils/whatever than anyone else in the show, and more than one version per season.

The hero will be a hypocrite who takes anyone in the Cast to task for the same actions he's done dozens of times over. When it turns out those actions and the result of them are actually his fault, it gets swept aside. In any event where someone in the Cast carries justified anger at the hero, some failure of a moral lesson will happen on them to teach them that they were wrong, even though they're not and the lesson itself makes no sense. The hero will continue to be selfish and entitled even though the rest of the cast has been through worse and had less excuses.

If the hero has a love interest that's not Caucasian, the writing will sabotage her, leading to fandom complaints that the Love Interest is boring, badly-acted, "like a sister" to the hero and not romantically viable (coming from shippers who'd pair the hero with an Actual Relative anyway as long as it's a dude), useless, should be killed off, etc. Not coincidentally, the love interest won't have her own story independent of the hero and might even behave in ways that inconvenience him such as being rightfully angry about him pulling off some morally repugnant nonsense, inflaming fandom anger more than usual. Even when a season in the show is About Her, it's really going to be About Him and how bad his pain is, because she's secondary to the point where she'll have the least amount of episode appearances in that same Season That Is About Her. IOW, think of how much the writers of DMC don't give a damn about Kyrie and the other women in the cast, and multiply that.

This has nothing at all to do with the Hero and what he looks like, compared to the Cast and what they look like. [/sarcasm]

That's all if the hero is a Barry-like character and meant to come across as a Moral Paragon. If he's an Oliver-like (anti-heroic), then the show will spend a bunch of time dunking on him for not being as heroic as he could be. Crossover episodes that involve the Actual Moral Paragon/Barry-like showing up to the Oliver-like's turf will have that Hero and his Cast dunking on the Oliver-like for not being as Good as the Barry-like, and teaching the Oliver-like the Right Way To Hero, even though the Barry-like casually does things like killing C-tier villains offhand and violating human rights on the regular, but preaching about second chances and sparing Parallel Universe Nazis or something because of an arbitrary No Killing Rule.

Or, to make it simpler,

Is the hero black, as well as the rest of the cast?
Dismissed as Woke B.S., cancelled after a few seasons (Hi, Black Lightning! .... Bye, Black Lightning!) or the show doesn't get past its backdoor pilot (Painkiller)

Is the hero a woman, as well as the rest of the cast?
Dismissed as Woke B.S., cancelled after a few seasons, or the show doesn't get past its backdoor pilot (Green Arrow and the Canaries) unless it's backed by Geoff Johns (Stargirl)

Is the hero a black woman?
Dismissed as Woke B.S. Immediately. (Batwoman Season 2) Pending cancellation after a few seasons.

Is the hero gay?
Literally who? (Batwoman Season 1)

But hey, good thing we have Yet Another Show About Superman.
Don't forget love triangles. Oh, those wonderful love triangles. :)

The funny thing is, I still end up fancasting plenty of CW actors as DMC characters.

Morgan

Premium
Xen-Ace 2021
Don't forget love triangles. Oh, those wonderful love triangles. :)

The funny thing is, I still end up fancasting plenty of CW actors as DMC characters.
I forgot about the love triangles! Yeah, there has to be a lot of those. Smallville was king of those back when it was on TV. /sigh

That's cool though, I mean, CW actors are still actors. It's the material they're saddled with that's the problem.

Top Bottom