• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

How to remake DMC2?

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
Honestly it can go either way to me. You can lose it or keep it in a rewrite. It just depends on how you wanna tell the story.

BlackAngel

The combat itself is not really bad, especially when playing as Lucia with her acrobatic moves and her skills of wielding 2 blades and throwing daggers is very unique experience. But with Dante has a lot to improve because the Stinger and Devil Trigger abilities are very weak (Not the Majin Form. It is the most powerful DT in the franchise) If I were them I would start with the original DT design and gameplay from DMC and start from there.

latest

I really like this design and I would love to play that in the game.

-Instead of purchasing combat abilities from the statue they should have a separate menu to spend red orbs to unlock new movesets and special abliities at anytime.

- Have a block/parry mechanic to allow players to block and counter enemy attacks.

-Introduce brutal finishers as critical strikes.

-Revamp the roundtrip mechanic as a alternative ranged weapon.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
But with Dante has a lot to improve because the Stinger and Devil Trigger abilities are very weak

There's a lot more wrong than that. Combat is incredibly bad and could be massively improved by removing stunlocking from guns, adding more moves to the list, diversifying the weapons more, introducing more cancels and last but not least rewriting enemy AI to actually have them hit Dante in the first place.

As you can see, that's a lot to improve upon and rebuild than just Stinger and DT. I wish those things were it but DMC2 is just fundamentally flawed in the core of its combat system.

BlackAngel

There's a lot more wrong than that. Combat is incredibly bad and could be massively improved by removing stunlocking from guns, adding more moves to the list, diversifying the weapons more, introducing more cancels and last but not least rewriting enemy AI to actually have them hit Dante in the first place.

As you can see, that's a lot to improve upon and rebuild than just Stinger and DT. I wish those things were it but DMC2 is just fundamentally flawed in the core of its combat system.

I'm just using them as an example that it needs improvement. The combat itself isn't bad, but it needs to be worked on and the lack of Devil Arms is keeping me from enjoying the game. But they got the acrobatics and the wall running down pat, though.

Ronin

Let's rock, baby!
Lucia needs a new voice actress. French or not don't matter. Plus Lucia's gameplay style needs work.

She needs taunts of her own like Trish & Lady.

devil_inside123

The devil in the dark
Any ideas you want to add?
Brooding does not equal devoleped. Dante is able to move on and live his despite his tragic loss. There would be no contrast to vergil personality wise and now you would have to explain why he changed back for dmc 4 and 5 . honestly it makes sense to me as it was a departure from 1 it not too much a departure from the anime. Just polish the story and details a bit along with graphics and use the current voice cast amd i think youd be fine. Not taking into account if it'll be dmc2 controls or DMC5 controls

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
J's Reviews shares his ideas on how to make a DMC 2 remake.

Its a good video but i wished he did more with lucia.

The gameplay section was cool but the story section could use some work. Granted 5 put 2 between 1 and 4 so there aren't that many options you could do with Dante.

I'm still for just dropping the quiet demeanor or downplaying it.

@meg5493 had some cool theories.

Last edited:

BlackAngel

Brooding does not equal devoleped. Dante is able to move on and live his despite his tragic loss. There would be no contrast to vergil personality wise and now you would have to explain why he changed back for dmc 4 and 5 . honestly it makes sense to me as it was a departure from 1 it not too much a departure from the anime. Just polish the story and details a bit along with graphics and use the current voice cast amd i think youd be fine. Not taking into account if it'll be dmc2 controls or DMC5 controls

But the time line does not make any sense, Because how could Dante went to silent and mature character in DMC2 and back to being over-the-top, care-free in DMC 4 and 5? And Capcom is not known for creating great stories for their games, anyways. That's why the story is so cheesy, childish, and not to be taken seriously. I can appreciate a wacky, over-the-top, and over dramatic story too. But it can only go so far if they don't change and keep doing the same thing.

DMC2 has potential, because Dante's personality and character dramatically changes because there's a story behind it. If they have top notch writers, then DMC2 remake story would surpass DMC3 story telling and character development.

Last edited:

windleopard

Dante wasn't really brooding in DMC 2 just more quiet and introverted. And even that wasn't a very drastic change when you consider what he was like in the first game.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
DMC2 would benefit from the FF7r approach. They just expand on what's there and add some new surprises. However it doesn't need to split into parts or start a new saga. It can be additive but still be a one off case.

I'd still say the big weakness is Dante. If Before the nightmare hadn't established they met already, I'd just retcon him out. I'd replace him wholesale with Lady/Trish or Vergil.

BlackAngel

DMC2 would benefit from the FF7r approach. They just expand on what's there and add some new surprises. However it doesn't need to split into parts or start a new saga. It can be additive but still be a one off case.

I'd still say the big weakness is Dante. If Before the nightmare hadn't established they met already, I'd just retcon him out. I'd replace him wholesale with Lady/Trish or Vergil.
There no need to replace him. He just needs to be rewritten and properly give character development of Dante.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
There no need to replace him. He just needs to be rewritten and properly give character development of Dante.
Maybe but i think 5 took the wind out of its sails by putting it closer to 1. Unless you wanna make this game the midpoint between the anime and 4.

BlackAngel

Maybe but i think 5 took the wind out of its sails by putting it closer to 1. Unless you wanna make this game the midpoint between the anime and 4.
That's why I don't like DMC4 & 5 story and characters, because they're just terribly written and it's repetitive.

Devil Player

A better plot and more context are needed.

There should be more missions and context between them. You go from a city to a heliport, and then you go to ruins. The missions are very random. That old granny also was random. She was there just to be there. I thought there would be a twist with Mattier ( I think that's her name ) being a demon in disguise and opening the demon world instead of Arius. She would be using Dante to kill Arius and collect the arcana to herself. In less than 1 hour, I can come with a better plot than what they got for DMC 2.

Top Bottom