• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

How to Talk About Video Games

berto

I Saw the Devil
I kinda debated putting this up all day but considering the small rise in arguments I thought I should. I might be guilty of some of this but it's all for the greater good. (Everyone, say it with me! The Greater Good)
577782.jpg

578836.jpg

581192.jpg

That is all...

LysseC

Philosopher and fangirl. Worst. Combination. Ever.
The first part is really instructive. Many times I've heard someone saying that a game is terrible just because he didn't like that type of game...

...And I had a little laugh at the Holocaust thing. Am I such a horrible person? :|

berto

I Saw the Devil
The time seemed right. That particular day there was a lot of fighting going on and I thought it was time to post this.

Vergil'sBitch

I am Nero's Mom & Obsessed fan girl
Premium
So are all opinions right or wrong?

I state when something is my opinion because it's what I think. I'm not telling anyone else that my opinion is definite, I just don't expect to get a new a$$hole through stating something that I 'believe' (hence why it's my opinion).

berto

I Saw the Devil
So are all opinions right or wrong?

I state when something is my opinion because it's what I think. I'm not telling anyone else that my opinion is definite, I just don't expect to get a new a$$hole through stating something that I 'believe' (hence why it's my opinion).
No, to have opinions isn't wrong, but to pass them as facts and then claim that you can't be wrong because it's just an opinion is.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
''Ah, but you see this is just my opinion and opinions can never be wrong because they're subjective.''

This is generally true; opinions aren't right or wrong, as they're subjective. I suppose you could say all opinions are right. However, it ceases to be true when opinions are built upon false information or false interpretations of certain (possibly vague) things.

Let's say somebody said: ''Oh no! Dante said 'I had my reasons for helping', so that means he helped because he only cared about his own motives. He only had personal reasons for helping! He doesn't care about anyone other than himself. Therefore, in my opinion, Dante is an asshole and lacks compassion.'' That would arguably be a misinterpretation of the line 'I had my reasons for helping'. Or at the very least, it would be conjecture. The fact is, that line could mean anything from 'I was planning to help anyway (possibly gladly, with one or more things)' to 'I had personal reasons for helping that aren't related to your problem'. It usually means you don't have the time to explain or don't wish to - whether that's because it's embarrassing or time-consuming is not known.

So just calling something your opinion does not exempt it from being incorrect. You just need to make sure it's a sound opinion, instead of a half-baked one. If that prerequisite has been met, your opinion cannot be wrong. Your opinion is not worth more than others'. And so I would advise some forum members to cease acting like their opinion is the only correct one and making aggravating threads about it.

Top Bottom