• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Let's talk about the Tokusatsu genre

lorddemolatron

I think im sort of dimensional traveller lol
Premium
2020-Super-Sentai-Trademark.jpg

After much speculation, Toei has revealed the trademark naming the 44th Super Sentai Series!
This new project will be titled Majin Sentai KiraMeiger (although official spelling may vary once further details are available).
Based on the name, we can expect a Sentai centered on demons or magic and machines. Unfortunately, no other information is known at time of writing.

lorddemolatron

I think im sort of dimensional traveller lol
Premium
So well recently played Persona 5 S JP version courtesy to my friend and game has Tokusatsu reference in design of one later ingame boss so cannot tell too much since this is spoiler but can tell that Atlus gives nod to that Japanese shows,

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
Ayy, the Gridman anime from 2018 is getting a sequel as part of the "Gridman Universe" - SSSS.Dynazenon. :happy:

Sparda's rejected son

For Edenoi!
Premium
Supporter 2014
Lord I am so behind on Toku products I am a bad man. I'm watching Dino Fury because I never saw all of Ryusoulger. Ain't that nuts. I miss Tokusatsu. I gotta get back into the game!
But recently I watched Juspiom (a show I like) and I said to myself "Man this is silly." But it's unfair to judge a 80's metal hero show to a modern SS show. But maybe I need to remembrance the costumed hero?

Sparda's rejected son

For Edenoi!
Premium
Supporter 2014
I apologize for the double post but I feel enough time has past since my last one. Sooo... I finished Kiramager and I liked it! A lot actually. Which is odd because you'd think Ryusoulger the dinosaur series would have caught my attention but nope.
I found the Kiramagers and the villains to be likeable and the the overall "childish" nature to the program lent it a air of "This is fun." Even the 1st movie's female villain was fun to watch. But this leads to Zenkaiger, the current series. I find myself trying to like it instead of normally enjoying it like I did with Kiramager.
I find myself wanting more Yodanna content (female villain from Kiramager) and less Kaito content. (Leader of the Zenkaigers) Zyuren (a member of Zenkaiger) is pretty cool though, I like him. We'll see how the show plays out I guess.

Xeroxis

Space Detective
Premium
I apologize for the double post but I feel enough time has past since my last one. Sooo... I finished Kiramager and I liked it! A lot actually. Which is odd because you'd think Ryusoulger the dinosaur series would have caught my attention but nope.
I found the Kiramagers and the villains to be likeable and the the overall "childish" nature to the program lent it a air of "This is fun." Even the 1st movie's female villain was fun to watch. But this leads to Zenkaiger, the current series. I find myself trying to like it instead of normally enjoying it like I did with Kiramager.
I find myself wanting more Yodanna content (female villain from Kiramager) and less Kaito content. (Leader of the Zenkaigers) Zyuren (a member of Zenkaiger) is pretty cool though, I like him. We'll see how the show plays out I guess.
Zenkaiger looks awesome, it's 70's as hell

Sparda's rejected son

For Edenoi!
Premium
Supporter 2014
Zenkaiger looks awesome, it's 70's as hell

It oozes with 70's era Tokusatsu without a doubt but that is also the problem. Take some 70's shows like (Toei's) Spiderman, or Kaiketsu Zubat. In Zubat the main character was a likeable "chad" who was over the top and awesome. Takuya from Spiderman was a basic 70's hero but he... Just worked in the role.
I believed his role as a stoic, but charming Spiderman. Kaito on the other hand is just a unrealistic dummy. I'll give a example. When Kaito meets a certain bad guy instead of saying "Hello" or anything a human would say he says "Hey I'm the leader of the Zenkaigers, we'll save the world! Be my friend!" It's off putting.
Kaito sadly is the over hyper "Let's be friends" Sentai leader but lacks the charm of Fourze (Kamen Rider Fourze) too pull it off. I really dislike Kaito.

I'm sorry. I don't mean to ruin Zenkaiger for you. If you enjoy then that is all that matters. I am struggling to watch it personally. Kiramager was not perfect and Covid 19 affected its story but I find myself really liking that show more so than Zenkaiger. I'll still watch Zenkaiger though.

Xeroxis

Space Detective
Premium
It oozes with 70's era Tokusatsu without a doubt but that is also the problem. Take some 70's shows like (Toei's) Spiderman, or Kaiketsu Zubat. In Zubat the main character was a likeable "chad" who was over the top and awesome. Takuya from Spiderman was a basic 70's hero but he... Just worked in the role.
I believed his role as a stoic, but charming Spiderman. Kaito on the other hand is just a unrealistic dummy. I'll give a example. When Kaito meets a certain bad guy instead of saying "Hello" or anything a human would say he says "Hey I'm the leader of the Zenkaigers, we'll save the world! Be my friend!" It's off putting.
Kaito sadly is the over hyper "Let's be friends" Sentai leader but lacks the charm of Fourze (Kamen Rider Fourze) too pull it off. I really dislike Kaito.

I'm sorry. I don't mean to ruin Zenkaiger for you. If you enjoy then that is all that matters. I am struggling to watch it personally. Kiramager was not perfect and Covid 19 affected its story but I find myself really liking that show more so than Zenkaiger. I'll still watch Zenkaiger though.
I haven't had the chance to sit down and watch it yet, it's just giving me J.A.K.Q Dengekitai vibes from the promotional material, I miss the Showa era aesthetic.

Sparda's rejected son

For Edenoi!
Premium
Supporter 2014
@Morgan I have to be honest, I've never seen that interview where Hain Saban cracks that "Zyu" sounds like "Jew." I've failed my fandom by not seeing this interview. For shame! Thanks for sharing that. :D

@Xeroxis My apologies. I went off on a rant there and I lost myself. Again, while Zenkaiger is "okay" in my mind so gar, I would still encourage you to watch it because it at the very least the suits and mecha are good and are heavily inspired by past Sentai shows. If you'd like a link to a episode PM me.

Top Bottom