• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Ninja Theory: Devil May Cry Skeptics "Secretly Want to Like It"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaos Raiden

Avid Gamer & Reviewer
Ninja Theory co-founder, Tameem Antoniades reckons that fans doubting the upcoming Devil May Cry prequel are not being entirely honest with themselves.

Earlier in the year Devil May Cry Fans wereunpleasantly surprised by Ninja Theory's upcoming take on the series. The most prominent complaint, or at least the only one that could be heard over the angry hooting and calls for immediate bloody revolution, was about Dante's new character design. Fans, it seems, were not pleased with Ninja Theory's decision to replace their beloved platinum-haired studmuffin with a guy who wouldn't look out of place on the cover ofTrainspotting. Ninja Theory's response, in essence, is a raised hand, palm forwards, and instructions to voice your concerns to it, because the face certainly ain't listening.

"We've got our plan and we're not changing it," Tameem Antoniades said at a presentation at Gamescom 2011. Talking about character designs, producer Alex Jones claimed that Capcom Japan is just as responsible for Dante's controversial new look as Ninja Theory. Character design is what Capcom Japan is deeply, deeply involved with," said Jones. "[Ninja Theory and Capcom have had] dozens of meetings over character design," he added.

Antoniades claimed that the game "will feel like a proper Devil May Cry game when you have a controller in your hand" and that, "The people who are skeptical secretly want to like it. And our job is to prove it's Devil May Cry in essence."

Judging by its past efforts -Enslaved and Heavenly Sword- Ninja Theory is spilling over with writing talent, something previous Devil May Cry developers Capcom sorely lack, but there's some question as to whether Devil May Cry'sgameplay will match the quality of its Capcom-made predecessors. Previous Devil May Cry games all ran at a solid 60 frames per second, while the upcoming prequel runs at half that. It's not uncommon for console titles to be locked to 30FPS these days, but it's a first for the Devil May Cry series. 60FPS games are noticeably smoother than their 30FPS counterparts, an important feature in a game which relies on strict timing and quick reactions. Antoniades defended the decision, claiming that the lower frame rate allows more interesting game mechanics, such as the way levels can change drastically in real time. He also claimed that the "feel of 60FPS" would be maintained.

Devil May Cry will be released for Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. No word on a release date yet.

Source: Eurogamer

Source: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/new...vil-May-Cry-Skeptics-Secretly-Want-to-Like-It

Ninja Theory, please do not be pleased that all DMC fans are actually want to like the new reboot game secretly, because the fact is that there are many other DMC fans hate the new Dante's design elsewhere.

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
The only good thing about this article that jumped out at me:

their beloved platinum-haired studmuffin
Huuuu, you mean this hawt piece of art?

389548-dmc4_dante_super.png

@.@
Studmuffin don't do him no justice.
But if he WAS a muffin... lol...Dante-muffins.

Aside from that, all I have to say is that Tameem needs to get real. It's one thing talking smack about the fan backlash. It's another trying to play mindgames with them. Obvious attempt at brainwash is obvious.

Asmodaius

A question for those who dislike what they have seen so far about this game:

Don't you want to like it? Or are you "purposely" hating it?

It's an arrogant statement Tameem made, indeed, but there's some truth to it as well. I don't think those who dislike it WANT to dislike it. They are just disappointed about what they have seen so far...

Or am I completely wrong about this, and the "haters" are hating because they want to hate it?

NeroS

..who am i kidding lets just morph and eat em!

It's an arrogant statement Tameem made, indeed, but there's some truth to it as well. I don't think those who dislike it WANT to dislike it. They are just disappointed about what they have seen so far...

Or am I completely wrong about this, and the "haters" are hating because they want to hate it?
I agree with Asmo and Tameem there,sorry most of you but they are sorta right.I also think you just hate it because of the new Dante and half-demon-angel side,new style of weapons.I cant believe people are letting Some character make them go swearing,insulting NT for their favorite Dante,hey,I love Dante alot too and why am i not complaining?I dont care what they do to him,they just do it.

ToCool74

"Fair" DmC Skeptic
Premium
Of course I want to like it, NT. It's my favorite game series I'm seeing rectonned and carved up for profit.

Lulz.

I agree lol.

I want to like this game because now it has the name DMC which I hold in high regard.

Nobody WANTS to hate this game but NT is basically putting out a lame product with DMC's name stamped on to it.

Thats just my opinion on the subject anyway.

Asmodaius

I agree lol.

I want to like this game because now it has the name DMC which I hold in high regard.

Nobody WANTS to hate this game but NT is basically putting out a lame product with DMC's name stamped on to it.

Thats just my opinion on the subject anyway.

If it is just a lame product, why do you want to like it then?

Asmodaius

Because it has the name DMC...

I thought I made that pretty obvious in the post above ...

I asked again for a certain reason...

When Dante was revealed to have a new look in this game, there were SO many people saying that "This is not Dante! Just because they call him Dante does not mean it is him! And this is not Devil May Cry!!!" and then started making up ridiculous nicknames for him, such as Dino and such.

Believe me, I was bashed against the hardwood floor and stomped at time and time again on this forum for saying "Well, Capcom says it's Dante, they say this is Devil May Cry, so I believe them since it is their product." by "haters" (pardon my French). Their counter arguments were about if Capcom clashed the DMC name on, say, a Tetris game, if I would still consider it a DMC game, and such... They were exaggerating, clearly.

But now I see a supposedly "hater" (again, pardon my French) saying that he (or she?) is following this game, because it is called Devil May Cry... even if he (or she?) thinks it is crap so far.

ToCool... the question that lies behind this explanation is as follows...
Were you one of those "haters" who made such counter arguements and refused to believe that this is indeed Devil May Cry and the main protagonist in it is indeed Dante?

ToCool74

"Fair" DmC Skeptic
Premium
I asked again for a certain reason...

When Dante was revealed to have a new look in this game, there were SO many people saying that "This is not Dante! Just because they call him Dante does not mean it is him! And this is not Devil May Cry!!!" and then started making up ridiculous nicknames for him, such as Dino and such.

Believe me, I was bashed against the hardwood floor and stomped at time and time again on this forum for saying "Well, Capcom says it's Dante, they say this is Devil May Cry, so I believe them since it is their product." by "haters" (pardon my French). Their counter arguments were about if Capcom clashed the DMC name on, say, a Tetris game, if I would still consider it a DMC game, and such... They were exaggerating, clearly.

But now I see a supposedly "hater" (again, pardon my French) saying that he (or she?) is following this game, because it is called Devil May Cry... even if he (or she?) thinks it is crap so far.

ToCool... the question that lies behind this explanation is as follows...
Were you one of those "haters" who made such counter arguements and refused to believe that this is indeed Devil May Cry and the main protagonist in it is indeed Dante?

You misunderstand me.

I am not saying that I am going to start liking this game nor am I going to back up on anything I have said so far.

Yes I am one of those guys who do NOT like this Dante Design.

Yes I am one of those guys who does NOT like what NT is doing to the gameplay and story.

Yes I am one of those guys who does NOT have any faith that NT can make a good DMC game.

But as I have pointed out a ****load of times on this forum I do NOT want to hate this game.

I do not wake up and think of reasons why to hate this game.

I do not look for little **** to complain about when a trailer or images is shown.

So what exactly are you trying to call me out on?

Because I said that I want to like it because it has the DMC name?

I never aknowledged that this game will indeed be a DMC game at heart.

For all we know this game could end up being the worse DMC game since DMC2.

But I do want to like this game because I am a huge DMC fan and have been so since day 1. I hold the DMC name in high regards which is why I do not want NT to **** this up.

IMO NT simply does not have the appropriate track record to even handle a series such as DMC.

ToCool74

"Fair" DmC Skeptic
Premium
I am not trying to call you out at all. I would just be glad that you had changed your mind... but it does not seem to be the case.

Like I have said before I will not change my views on this untill NT puts out something I like.

So far they simply have not done anything with this title to make me less of a skeptic about this game.

If anything they are making it worse by doing stuff like making Dante half angel for example.

Like I said on another thread, they took 1 step foward by making Dante look less like a starving addict.

I will admit that this Dante does look better.

But It still is not the kind of design I want for 1 of my favorite gaming icons.

And the gameplay can still use some work.

Its obviously not as fast or as stylish as the averaged DMC game IMO.

And now I hear that they are recycling the Heavenely sword gameplay which explains alot really.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
Right now the main argument/debate over these Forums is about NT's take on Devil May Cry. You have to blame Capcom for this move, not NT. I think at the end of the day, if you dislike DmC, then you shouldn't be blaming NT.

People have this all mixed up, it makes no sense to me. There's a ton of back and forth arguing/debating over the same points. People are even agreeing with each other in their arguments/debates but then still continue to talk about the same things over and over again. Each time we see new information in regards to this, people who dislike it continue to say "Ah, thanks for ruining DMC furthermore". Whereas those who are trying to stay positive/like the new changes are thinking "Hey, that doesn't look so bad". There is no middle person in between all of this so it seems. It's like Marmite right now, either 'hate' or 'love', or 'dislike' or 'like' if you please.

The point is, Devil May Cry is Capcom's responsibility. It's like working on a piece of art for ten years and then handing your paintbrush to a person who hasn't had much understanding about art or how to paint as well and expecting them to draw a masterpiece as good as your own or something to equal taste or quality. It isn't going to happen. Entrusting NT with DMC is Capcom's choice and their decision. If you have lack of faith in NT, blame Capcom. If you don't like the changes, blame Capcom. Who cares if Capcom aren't working on this? It isn't Ninja Theory's fault for trying to create something in their own sort of style. Everyone has a different style. Whereas this wouldn't be a bad game, it would be a bad DMC game if everyone is so use to seeing Capcom put their heart and soul into this and use their own decisions and whatnot. But that isn't the case. Ninja Theory are doing their damn best at trying to please us as that's the responsibility they have right now, they don't want to mess it up as much as we don't want them too. They're under a lot of pressure and with our reaction are going to make bad decisions. We don't give them any credit, insult their skills at game designing and then wonder why they aren't very good at making a game seem like something we've come to terms with knowing and appreciating. Every time we criticise NT and their ideas, the more we're giving them the motive to not better themselves but to worsen themselves. Is that what we want at the end of the day? No.

I think it's about time we started to realise that DMC is Capcom's responsibility. And just because Capcom couldn't make DMC work in terms of story (Which is right, that's what everyone had a problem with about Devil May Cry) does not mean that Ninja Theory won't, even if they mix up the way in which we have come to know and love DMC.

A final point I'd like to make. Why do we read books? Watch films? Or play video-games? Fun is a huge part of it. Styles and genres play another big part. Logically speaking, what plays the main role? The story. Could Capcom answer our questions about DMC? No. Could they explain the story very well? No. Does Ninja Theory know how to work well on a story? So far, from what I've read and heard, yes. Therefore, my final point rests on this. DMC would be nothing without a story, it would be a game. DMC is far too big of a game to not require a story. It's a gaming series, without a proper story. Does that work? Not really. Would Ninja Theory make it work for DmC if they have already thought about how they are going to resolve the story behind Dante etc.? Probably so. Can you really blame NT for incorporating their own designs and their own thoughts into the game when that is their task? No, not really. So why does there need to be such a big argument/debate about what they have done to DMC? We can clearly see it isn't just NT who have 'ruined' DMC (If those who dislike it see it that way) and that it is Capcom's fault more than it is NT's. So as of now any move/decision that NT makes is up to NT and is in their own right to do so. If you hate the game at the end of the day, don't go blaming them. Instead realise that this was all Capcom's choice, it's what they wanted.

ToCool74

"Fair" DmC Skeptic
Premium
I don't think anyone is just blaming NT.

Capcom is obviously at fault here as well.

After all they are the ones who made the decision to give a major franchise such as DMC to a team like Ninja Theory who has a mediocre track record with games.

They are also the ones that asked NT to make this major redesign to the DMC formula and Dante.

They are both at fault here and I think everyone can agree to that.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
Indeed. But then my point is to not just blame Ninja Theory for their decisions. Every time Ninja Theory makes something up that's different, blame Capcom as well. Not aiming this at anyone, but a lot of people are just blaming Ninja Theory or appearing to just blame Ninja Theory for this. That's where my point lies.

It's easier to just put the blame on one company or to blame Ninja Theory more because they are now making the choices, but that's not the right way to go about it. People need to understand and respect that.

Meg

I disliked it before I even knew the guy in the first trailer's name was Dante. I thought he looked stupid. I thought the look and feel of the trailer was stupid and when he said, "my name is Dante" I laughed at how stupid it all looked. I was looking at this as not a DMC game, but as just a new game right from the beginning and everything else I seen, heard, and read about the game since the beginning has been dumb.

I hate "snipping" people's post, but I didn't want to drag my post out. :eek:
I honestly don't know where you got some of the stuff you're saying. NT are under a lot of pressure to please us? Our reactions are going to influence how well they do? Two things, LoD....well actually three things 1) You know I like you and don't me to offend you when I say 2) You're practically saying people shouldn't state their opinions then. A "if you don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything at all" kind of thing. So in other words if our opinions are effecting NT then only nice opinions should be said because that will apparently help them create a better game and negative opinions will create a bad one. Thank goodness that isn't true because 3) NT as well as Capcom have shown time and time again they really don't care what any fan thinks about the game, so I doubt what anyone says is effecting them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom