• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil (and survival horror in general), kind of disappoints me now...

Gasoline Tank

I felt with RE8, Capcom was trying to copy RE4, because as much as I detest the direction they went in, people glorify that game so much. But they repeated just about everything. Like the initial fight at the start, after Ethan entered the village. It's a lot like the battle with the cult in RE4, when they leave you be after Ada rings the bell in the church. As is pretty much everything else almost the same, to be honest. The only real change was that you fight a boss in the water after the castle section, while in RE4, that occurs before the castle section.

Hopefully they do a grand job with the remake, even though remakes don't really replace the originals, and could be argued to be cash grab projects if not done with enough passion. But I think the 2002 remake is more canonical in people's eyes, as Lisa Trevor appeared in one of the Chronicles games, ultimately being defeated by Wesker. And of course, she ain't in the 1996 version at all. However, what is "correct" is up for debate, as some fans claim both are canon.

But to be honest, I don't really like RE4 to 6, as they have too much in the way of action oriented gameplay and Hollywood campiness. Capcom also likes to copy other games. For example, Gears of War 3 had you running around places in a squadron, in a war torn area. RE6 does that too. And in both games, you can muck around on a slide in a kid's park. However, I know a user on biohaze.com who adores RE6, and that's fine. But in general, RE has some pretty silly storylines today, like the stuff they added into RE8. Also, people selling you guns and stuff, makes it less scary. The atmosphere was so off in some of the sequels, because you never really felt overwhelmed like you did in the earlier games when you couldn't see what was ahead of you, and you were mostly by yourself. And a lot of great horror games that get these things mostly right, never end up being as commercially or critically endearing as RE is, as a whole. That's rather sad, because I thought The Evil Within 2 had the DNA of both RE4, and Silent Hill. And yeah, I know you can purchase items in that game via a shopping format too, but that game was still very hard, so the weapons upgrades were kind of essential, and you still felt as if some enemies could kill you if you messed up. And it didn't make the game easier. So that I welcome.

Ryuuou

The King Of Chinese Dragons
Premium
Supporter 2014
A Capcom critic I respect that. I'm the same. I like a lot of what Capcom has done but recently its not going so well. With the devilmaycry series I stopped at DMC4. With the resident evil series I kinda gave up after RE4. Revelations 1&2 can be fun for a while but its not the same. RE7 is just about playable. RE5 is about the same. RE6 is slightly more fun but also falls short. About RE8 I COMPLETELY gave up on the series. Now I dont know what to think about it anymore. Pretty much stuck replaying RE4 and down. Also RAID mode in rev2 is kinda fun with the daily reward stuff but thats it. The remake of RE1 is fun but the RE2 remake lost me. Why make them look so realistic. Claire and Leon looks like two real people and not like the usual stuff. What the hell. Is Capcom glorifying US that much I wonder. A lot of dissapointment I must say and dont get me started on DMC5. I wont even mention that one. EW2 is not so fun. I prefer EW1 that one was good. One of the few games in newer times I really respect. Always fun. Currently trying on ''AKUMU'' diff. As the descripton say its pure hell. 1 hit dead and these creatures grab you so easy even when you try to hit them. Jeez. Well I hope CAPCOM and other former devs there would show something better and more original in the future. Man can only hope but I am not so optimistic about it.

EDIT: About EW2 there is one thing I like. The camera boss villian was quite fun. Other than being a horrible person the villianism was quite good.

berto

I Saw the Devil
I felt with RE8, Capcom was trying to copy RE4, because as much as I detest the direction they went in, people glorify that game so much. But they repeated just about everything. Like the initial fight at the start, after Ethan entered the village. It's a lot like the battle with the cult in RE4, when they leave you be after Ada rings the bell in the church. As is pretty much everything else almost the same, to be honest. The only real change was that you fight a boss in the water after the castle section, while in RE4, that occurs before the castle section.
I have to work in the morning so I haven't gotten to the rest of the post but there was something I wanted to say.

I have a theory that these games, RE7 & 8, are the testing ground for the remakes, specifically 2 & 4. I think this because of just how many assets were used in RE2 from 7 that they didn't even bother to change. The menu, the items, the animations. A hell of a lot ended up there and seeing the assets they created for 8 I am willing to bet that this is be the case between 8 & 4. The briefcase is going to look just like it does in 8, the engine and environments are going to look almost like other areas in the same game and so on. Just a theory but it is feasible.

Gasoline Tank

I feel as if assets for RE7 showed up again in RE8. The castle looks like the house with the Bakers. Maybe I just notice things too much, but it does look awfully similar.

My guess is that they copy and paste things across, and just change how things look. It's easier for them rather than doing everything from the ground up each time...

I would have loved to have seen the remakes of 2 and 3 get the RE1 makeover. Too bad, though. What a squandered opportunity!

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
Evil within 2 was the last survival game i really enjoyed to be honest, re7 and re8 were so far from what i think made resi good that they feel like a bootleg.

Having said that re7 and 8 have some great atmospheric aspects and horror elements, they simply don't feel like resi to me though.

Gasoline Tank

I like it too. It was like being back in Silent Hill.

Speaking of which, I wish Silent Hill would come back and kick RE's ass. But you know how it has been with Konami over the years, who have gave fans so much uncertainty.

At this point, I have gotten so tired of the rumours of Bloober Team, Hideo Kojima, or Sony working on a new game, as they have never amounted to anything thus far except speculation. After Tokyo Game Show last year, I was like, "I am over it!"

Until something official is confirmed from Konami or Bloober Team, I'm out of the guessing game altogether. Less disappointment, that way. :)

Ryuuou

Premium
Supporter 2014
Dont throw in the towel just yet. I did and then Evil Within 1 made me rethink that. If I am correct one of the devs from RE series been on EW. I remember seeing and hearing similarities. It looked like RE and some of the music battle sounded like it. Thats what gave it away. Anyway back to my original point. There might be a few games that might go well out there still. Having said that I must say I'm not very optimistic in these times even less now than when I threw the towel in 2013. 10 years later a few games renewed my resolve but how long is it going to work. Devs better get their heads together and deliver well. We all know they can do very well if they want to. Lately I have been more impressed by fan made halfpro games than real ground up games. Is that a bad sign or a good sign or maybe both?

Gasoline Tank

RE: Verse is supposed to be releasing in July, which could mean the other DLC may arrive around the same time.

It hasn't been confirmed for definite, but you would think a release day would be imminent by now.

Goldsickle

I have a theory that these games, RE7 & 8, are the testing ground for the remakes, specifically 2 & 4.
RE7 began development around 2014, while Hirabayashi only began submitting the pitch for the RE2 remake in 2015.
So there was never anything involving the RE2 remake in RE7's planning.

I remember reading that RE8 was loosely inspired by RE4's setup but no confirmation about it being a "testing ground" for a possible RE4 remake.

berto

I Saw the Devil
@Goldsickle I don't see how that's unquestionable proof. Any number of things can happen behind the scenes that determine how projects will go down. The demand for RE2 has been around for ages, even if it's only a theory and even if the dates are one year off, which is nothing, it's hardly farfetched.

Goldsickle

I don't see how that's unquestionable proof.
Development of RE7 truly began in 2014, while Hirabayashi only started submitting the pitch for the RE2 remake to Capcom to get it approved for development in 2015.
And if you have been following the posts from the official Resident Evil Facebook account, you can see that Hirabayashi only knew about the fan-support because his boss told him, which motivated him to submit the pitch in the first place.
To put things into perspective: no pitch, no RE2 remake.
These things happened through a series of coincidental events.

That should be more than enough of a "proof" that RE7 wasn't being developed as a testing ground for the RE2 remake.

Any number of things can happen behind the scenes
And unless you have some sort of source, citation or evidence, no one has any obligation to listen to your version of how things went.
There are already too many fake news being pushed around as facts or "common knowledge" because people use your kind of mindset to draw conclusions.

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
In my opinion, the main problem with Resident Evil is that the games don't have the strongest core identity to tie them together. You go from the first couple of titles which were classic survival horror with all the bells and whistles such as fixed cameras, then by 5 and 6 it's all much faster paced and action filled blockbuster. Then 7 tries to reset it by going back to its roots but also completely changes format by being in first person perspective and whatnot. Ultimately it leaves the games feeling very disjointed and divides the fanbase as I see people who adore one style such as RE7&8 whereas others hate it and don't like the direction the franchise is going.

Considering this is Capcom, it may have been in their interest to go the Megaman route and have a bunch of different RE series under the umbrella (pun intended) franchise. Have the mainline games be traditional Survival Horror, have one lean more into supernatural horror that the franchise keeps flirting with, have one go full Evil Dead with the action/horror elements in the vein of RE7 DLC where Joe Baker was running around boxing with the Molded - and so on. The point being to grow the brand by incorporating a periphery demographic instead of alienating them with a disjointed series of games.

Just my two cents. :unsure:

Reactions: Meg

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
I like a lot of what Capcom has done but recently its not going so well.

It's... completely the opposite. Capcom was doing very poorly until recently. RE7, Megaman 11, MHW, RE2R, DMC5, all good games and all successful ones. Despite how much you may or may not like them (for example I hate the crap out of Neverwinter Nights 2 but at the same time I know it's good). Sure they dropped the ball with RE3R, and maybe kinda sorta with RE8 being kind of a more of the same even though it wasn't really a disaster or anything, in fact it seems to overall be liked and it's not a bad game by any stretch, but even if you think they are, those are still better than whatever in god's name Capcom was doing pre 2017, which is my point.

Truly the sector that needs an emergency resurgence now is their fighting game division. Here's hoping SF6 is good, even though it's hard to have a worse launch than 5's.

Last edited:

Gasoline Tank

I felt like RE7 was a great horror game, but it didn't feel like a sequel. If you took out the references to Umbrella and other people, then it felt like it was completely separate. Also, imagine playing RE6 and 7 back to back. They don't even feel like they're cut from the same cloth.

Normally, with most games, you can look at it and say, "Oh, that's the new RE game!" Not so much the case with comparing 6 and 7, as Brett Hood once stated on YouTube.

I get that things change and Capcom has to reflect on this, so that they can feel relevant. But they all feel like they are bizarre adventure games now, with veteran protagonists just showing up in them because they have a chip on their shoulder. You know? The way they redesigned Chris, no matter their reasons for promoting realism, kind of buggered up the character.

Ryuuou

Premium
Supporter 2014
It's... completely the opposite. Capcom was doing very poorly until recently. RE7, Megaman 11, MHW, RE2R, DMC5, all good games and all successful ones. Despite how much you may or may not like them (for example I hate the crap out of Neverwinter Nights 2 but at the same time I know it's good). Sure they dropped the ball with RE3R, and maybe kinda sorta with RE8 being kind of a more of the same even though it wasn't really a disaster or anything, in fact it seems to overall be liked and it's not a bad game by any stretch, but even if you think they are, those are still better than whatever in god's name Capcom was doing pre 2017, which is my point.

Truly the sector that needs an emergency resurgence now is their fighting game division. Here's hoping SF6 is good, even though it's hard to have a worse launch than 5's.
Well, thats your opinion. I respect that but I must disagree with you profoundly. I have not lost faith in the devs but currently I'm not impressed.

Gasoline Tank

Yep. The very one.

I think there will probably be at least something to do with RE at Summer Game Fest. After all, Capcom is scheduled to attend.

With their habit of now announcing RE games on a regular basis, I can see RE8 DLC being revealed, or the remake of RE4.

berto

I Saw the Devil
And unless you have some sort of source, citation or evidence, no one has any obligation to listen to your version of how things went.
Rather late but this was very condescending and rude. I hope you don't talk to people like this on a general basis. Not that I'd care, as long as you don't do it here. Hint hint.

That new Netflix series seems awfully weird.

Just why is Wesker black? How can this show be canonical? :(
That's nothing. The last movie, Welcome to Racoon City, made Leon a moron and a f**k up, Jill is black and most of the time is down right a b**ch, Chris and Claire don't get along 'cause crap phony drama, Wesker is in no way shape or form a person of any kind of note, barely competent or intelligent, and Ada never met Leon.

Last edited:
Top Bottom