• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Roleswap AU thoughts

V's patron

be loyal to what matters

what if Vergil and Dante swapped roles-

I feel like the good guy version Vergil would be like Chihiro from Kagura Bachi as a teen. An awkward and introverted hero traveling around fighting demons. He seeks to control his demonic heritage through discipline and training.

AU Dante reminds me of Mercury from RWBY.

Carefree but amoral. Sells his services to the highest bidder and revels in the thrill of his powers.

What are your thoughts on what if Vergil and Dante swapped roles-

Last edited:

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
I think a power hungry and serious dante could be very dangerous, especially if he embraced his demon side. He is so versatile as a fighter i am not sure if vergil would be able to take him down the same way.

Interesting scenario though, and can you imagine dante after the fruit and combining sparda sword and rebellion.

That is scary poweful, also the events of 4 would be completely different as nero would never have gained acces to yamato as vergil would still have it. Vergil may have actually raised him too.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I think a power hungry and serious dante could be very dangerous, especially if he embraced his demon side. He is so versatile as a fighter i am not sure if vergil would be able to take him down the same way.

Interesting scenario though, and can you imagine dante after the fruit and combining sparda sword and rebellion.

That is scary poweful, also the events of 4 would be completely different as nero would never have gained acces to yamato as vergil would still have it. Vergil may have actually raised him too.

I could see AU Dante getting more serious as he got older and suffered more setbacks.

Nero's mother is a blank slate so creating how this Vergil met her and whether or not he raises Nero is up for grabs. This project is a reboot so anything goes. It might parallel the main series but Vergil would have his own cast, villians and adventures.

For example- Vergil could still have summons but they take the form of momotaro's pals.

https://www.kodomo.go.jp/gallery/ed... of Momotaro,rejuvenated after eating a peach.

Benny

Do they still retain their personality in the AU? And what kind of swap? Like Eva helped Vergil that time instead of Dante?

Vergil likely still might do some self-destruct actions even if Eva saved him, knowing his self-centered (narcissistic even I'd say) personality. He would need something really impactful happened to him to make him snap out of that, like Neil's death in Tony Redgrave novel.

Dante... Kamiya or Itsuno Dante? I think there's not much change with Kamiya Dante. I think since he loved and clearly showed respect to his parents in dmc1, maybe he wouldn't hold it against Eva. Whether he became a devil hunter or not, Dante would still want to take revenge even if Eva couldn't help him though.

Last edited:

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
Do they still retain their personality in the AU? And what kind of swap? Like Eva helped Vergil that time instead of Dante?

Vergil likely still might do some self-destruct actions even if Eva saved him, knowing his self-centered (narcissistic even I'd say) personality. He would need something really impactful happened to him to make him snap out of that, like Neil's death in Tony Redgrave novel.

Dante... Kamiya or Itsuno Dante? I think there's not much change with Kamiya Dante. I think since he loved and clearly showed respect to his parents in dmc1, maybe he wouldn't hold it against Eva. Whether he became a devil hunter or not, Dante would still want to take revenge even if Eva couldn't help him though.
I saw them keeping the core of their personality but developing in other directions. Vergil has the same flaws but hasnt succumb to them like he did in canon.

Benny

@V's patron Vergil if keeping the same flaws... Now that's hard... If not for revenge, he generally doesn't care for humanity then what else reason he could have to become a devil hunter? Money? I mean come on, it's Vergil. The same man who'd rather jump into demon world than go back with Dante, pragmatism doesn't suit him. Would need an arc.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
@V's patron Vergil if keeping the same flaws... Now that's hard... If not for revenge, he generally doesn't care for humanity then what else reason he could have to become a devil hunter? Money? I mean come on, it's Vergil. The same man who'd rather jump into demon world than go back with Dante, pragmatism doesn't suit him. Would need an arc.
Its a reboot so you can give them more exploration. My original post was for a pseudo DMC3/reboot/manga era.

DMC is light on the details so it gives you alot of wiggle room.

My answer would be AU Vergil is motivated by a mix of training and duty. He seeks to control his abilities and honor his father's legacy. Fighting demons gives him a chance to do the former and he has an arc where he decides to do the latter.

Im fond of Champion Analysis's pitch on youtube. One of his suggestions was Vergil finding a mentor. So that could be his Nell and Grue equivalent group.

Last edited:

V's patron

be loyal to what matters

My problem with Nero is that he's too cliche. Cliche are tropes that are overused or poorly used. I dont mind using battle manga tropes but putting a spin on them.

This fanart reminds me of a dynamic i wanted for one of Vergil's stories. He had his own trio of friends that fell apart along the way.

Benny

@V's patron Interesting... Maybe the AU could explore more about Vergil's thinking of his father compared to canon where he didn't seem to care for any of his parents as person. So Sparda shouldn't have died too soon? What issue you think Vergil can work on in the AU? I see Vergil's biggest problem in canon, more so than trauma, is his self-centered way of thinking. He needs to broaden his perspective, be more objective if an arc is focused on Vergil. No, not half of Vergil

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
@V's patron Interesting... Maybe the AU could explore more about Vergil's thinking of his father compared to canon where he didn't seem to care for any of his parents as person. So Sparda shouldn't have died too soon? What issue you think Vergil can work on in the AU? I see Vergil's biggest problem in canon, more so than trauma, is his self-centered way of thinking. He needs to broaden his perspective, be more objective if an arc is focused on Vergil. No, not half of Vergil
I was gonna focus on Vergil's control issues and domineering tendencies. I don't see Dante and Vergil as team players but Dante would be a flake and vergil would too critical/domineering.

Vergil has an interest in poetry but an inability to express himself. The poet William Blake is known for radical views on love when he was alive. Having Vergil be awkward about how he really feels and often avoiding love would be a good contrast to Blake and Dante.

Vergil might still envy Dante but more because Dante has always been stronger without trying. Vergil would have to work harder to bridge the gap at first.

Sparda dying in Vergil's teen years is fair game but i thought he died early in their lives.

"our parents died for nothing, brother dear. Would you like to join them"

Roleswap Dante taunts Roleswap Vergil.

Last edited:

Benny

And Istuno Dante. I just don't see much significant change with him. He already appeared uncaring towards humans at the beginning of dmc3 so even in AU he probably would stay the same like that without his development in dmc3. But opposite to Vergil, I think Dante would be delighted to know his brother is still alive and even attempt to ask Vergil to join his side
I was gonna focus on Vergil's control issues and domineering tendencies. I don't see Dante and Vergil as team players but Dante would be a flake and vergil would too critical/domineering.
I suppose our opinions differ here. Control issues, like towards himself or external world? Vergil can be harsh and strict with himself all he wanted but really he's sloppy and irresponsible when handling things that aren't him. To control something needs understand and knowledge of how it worked. He basically let Arkham doing brain work with Temen-ni-gru, didn't ask Arkham nor do research about the tower himself, had the audacity to get mad when things didn't go his way (why isn't this working?!) even though he never cared to know how it functioned. I bet he or Urizen in dmc5 was also the same with Qliphoth too, just let it grow and do whatever it wanted while he sat on the throne claiming benefits and waited for the fruit. This guy is terrible at leading and managing, and it showed.

Last edited:

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
And Istuno Dante. I just don't see much significant change with him. He already appeared uncaring towards humans at the beginning of dmc3 so even in AU he probably would stay the same like that without his development in dmc3. But opposite to Vergil, I think Dante would be delighted to know his brother is still alive and even attempt to ask Vergil to join his side

I suppose our opinions differ here. Control issues, like towards himself or external world? Vergil can be harsh and strict with himself all he wanted but really he's sloppy and irresponsible when handling things that aren't him. To control something needs understand and knowledge of how it worked. He basically let Arkham doing brain work with Temen-ni-gru, didn't ask Arkham nor do research about the tower himself, had the audacity to get mad when things didn't to his way (why isn't this working?!) even though he never cared to know how it functioned. I bet he or Urizen in dmc5 was also the same with Qliphoth too, just let it grow and do whatever it wanted while he sat on the throne claiming benefits and waited for the fruit. This guy is terrible at leading and managing, and it showed.
I guess i was thinking about Vergil's reboot self more than the classic counterpart.

Last edited:

CaitNíSé_D_Huntress

I think dante with his personality would be more like an anti hero than a pure villain. He didn't care so much about humans before meeting lady sure, but he still had a morale compass.The way i see it playing out is that arkham would still erect the tower, but dante would be his muscle rather than his partner or puppet.

In this au i could even see vergil getting through to dante, and them maybe joining.If they personality switch too, then it would just be a repeat of 3 with a colour and weapon change.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I think dante with his personality would be more like an anti hero than a pure villain. He didn't care so much about humans before meeting lady sure, but he still had a morale compass.The way i see it playing out is that arkham would still erect the tower, but dante would be his muscle rather than his partner or puppet.

In this au i could even see vergil getting through to dante, and them maybe joining.If they personality switch too, then it would just be a repeat of 3 with a colour and weapon change.
Its more nature versus nurture. Their personalities are the same- they just have different influences along the way.

Top Bottom