• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

The Batman

Dr. Cheesesteak

Finally saw it this weekend. Loved it. The only flaw I could think of was cop IQ (shooting at a fleeing suspect in the department, taking a witness's word as fact when arresting Riddler, etc), but I get it for movies' sake.

I really enjoyed the more detective-oriented story for Batman. Even a little horror added in. Those are honestly my 2 favorite aspects of Batman - when he has to be a detective and when he's portrayed in a horror-esque fashion (not the same as "horrific").

I'm not sure where exactly to place it, but it is in my Top 6 superhero movies along w/ Dredd, X-Men First Class, The Dark Knight, The Dark Knight Rises, and Logan.

edit:
(which this does remind me, I need to see more non-superhero comic movies like A History of Violence, From Hell, V for Vendetta, Red, etc. B/c Road to Perdition is mixed in that Top 6 too if we don't count superhero-only. Is Judge Dredd a superhero or "Dredd" a superhero movie? :unsure:)

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups!
Is Judge Dredd a superhero or "Dredd" a superhero movie?
Neither. Dredd is just a straight up adaption of the Judge Dredd comics. The Crow (1994) is acts more like a superhero movie/revenge flick compared to the comic's just straight up revenge fantasy.
I'm not sure where exactly to place it, but it is in my Top 6 superhero movies along w/ Dredd, X-Men First Class, The Dark Knight, The Dark Knight Rises, and Logan.
The Batman (2020) is definitely takes #3 in my top 5 Batman movies.

Dr. Cheesesteak

Neither. Dredd is just a straight up adaption of the Judge Dredd comics. The Crow (1994) is acts more like a superhero movie/revenge flick compared to the comic's just straight up revenge fantasy.

How would you define "superhero" and "superhero movie"? I think I'd be fine for Judge Dredd (the character) and Dredd (the movie) being considered or not considered them.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups!
How would you define "superhero" and "superhero movie"? I think I'd be fine for Judge Dredd (the character) and Dredd (the movie) being considered or not considered them.
While there have been different blends of the genre over the years many and experimental projects, just because something is an adaption of comic book, does not automatically make it a superhero comic, nor movie in its adaption. Though some have tried or put superhero elements in them. The Walking Dead, Kingsman Secret Service, Sin City, and The Coldest Winter (what Atomic Blonde adapted from) are all based on comic properties and I would not call any of them superhero. Walking Dead owes to George A. Romero, Kingsman and Atomic Blonde are a throwback to James Bond and Cold War era spy thrillers, and Sin City is a throwback to noir stories and hard boiled types. Judge Dredd falls under the same category of not being a superhero. I am no Dredd expert, but I no for a fact that the comic series was always a political commentary satire on law enforcement and how it is run. Not to say superheroes can't have those, but obviously, the comics and its two adaptions are definitely not super heroes. Dredd (2011) is more of a throwback to gory action films from the 80s, such as Robocop. Ironic, because Robocop himself is an expy of Judge Dredd. There is some commentary from the comics, but obviously not the main focus in the movie. Had the movie preformed well, future sequels would have fleshed this out.

Ryuuou

The King Of Chinese Dragons
Premium
Supporter 2014
Debating if I should watch it or not. About the Judge Dredd movie. Other than the gory stuff I liked the slow mo drug and how the city was displayed.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups!
Debating if I should watch it or not. About the Judge Dredd movie. Other than the gory stuff I liked the slow mo drug and how the city was displayed.
Dredd (2012) I highly recommend. The movie still holds up well, and there is nice dynamic going between Dredd and Anderson. The action is great. While some of it is a bit basic, I'll take it over any movie that uses constant shaky-cam and quick cutting that was still in vouge at the time the movie came out.

Ryuuou

The King Of Chinese Dragons
Premium
Supporter 2014
Dredd (2012) I highly recommend. The movie still holds up well, and there is nice dynamic going between Dredd and Anderson. The action is great. While some of it is a bit basic, I'll take it over any movie that uses constant shaky-cam and quick cutting that was still in vouge at the time the movie came out.
Yeah, sorry thats the one I meant. The one I was talking about. Slow mo drug effects. They had fun making those.

EDIT: I found it on HBO Max. Not sure about this one. to be honest I'm quite unimpressed and dissapointed. Trying to see paralells with the previous ones but this is a new low. I like the actor playing the bat but other than that I must say this was really bad. I wonder why Dredd has been brought up here but I guess I can understand the costume of Batman and Dredd can look a bit similiar. The helmet/mask thingy that is. I feel like I have to watch the earlier versions of Batman now. This was really terrible sorry to say.

Last edited:

Taramafor

Batman, when older and wiser can say "We're all monsters".

I think he says that because of Joker. When younger Batman was more close minded. Didn't consider other viewpoints enough. Was speaking for others more.

Joker knew they were more alike then Batman cared to admit. Always the first to use his fists when he doesn't like what he hears. It may not be the pull of a trigger but Batman was still giving into fear and anger. Only after Joker died does it seem to hit home. The one person that could always challenge him as they made the best from the worst.

Say what you will of Joker, but it can't be denied that he always looked at the silver lining. Joker is actually quite sane and knows exactly what he's doing. It's Jayson Todd that ends up breaking and snapping and losing it. Joker was once insane of course, but that's also how he knows how to make the best from any situation after that. I think it's this he wanted to teach Jayson and Batman more then anything.

Last edited:
Top Bottom