• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

The ranting thinking thread

AgentRedgrave

Legendary Devil Hunter
So my buddy and I got lucky and each managed to grab a PS5 from a local electronics store (We put our names on a call list, and it was stupidly lucky that my friend, who I work with, got a call, just as we both started our lunch break, and the store was only a 5 minute run from our work place). But the fact that the system has a scalping issue still p!$$e$ me off.

I read that Sony reported that of all the PS5s sold, only about 40% of them are active. That means 60% were the ones snatched up by scalpers, who are trying to resell them for double the price. Also apparently these people claim they're being demonized and provide a valuable service. Bulls#!+

Morgan

Premium
Xen-Ace 2021

therogis

ʙʟᴏᴏᴅ ғᴏʀ ғʀᴇᴇᴅᴏᴍ
More of these Imbeciles have been arrested. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/capitol-riot-arrests-2021-05-14/

Also, these cowards are claiming autism and asperger syndrome as their defense.

Generally speaking, I've never seen anything used as much as a made-up excuse for acting like a child or just being a d*ck than Asperger's. Even depression wasn't used like that when it was a "popular" thing around here. It's like "oh I have Asperger's, I can do anything I want to and you have to tolerate that because I can't help it".

Which, IMO, is seriously offending everyone who really has that kind of issues.

(From the context you can probably figure out I'm not referring to people who actually have illnesses, I'm talking about the small but significant share of people who are either self-diagnosing themselves to justify their every action or faking it - that's a problem noted in the media as well, and I believe there are some scientific papers about it as well [cannot say for sure tho so feel free to correct me*]. Don't know about other countries, but at least in Finland, faking a mental illness is ridiculously easy, and a fake diagnosis can also be acquired just by doctor's mistake *cough* definitely not that I've ever had any *cough*)

(In addition, noting that a need to fake a mental illness to gain attention is in some, but not every case, an illness itself)

(* Edit: yes there are reseaches about it with tags like malingering and Munchhausen's syndrome)

Last edited:

Morgan

Premium
Xen-Ace 2021
Yeah, there's Munchausen Syndrome (faking an illness to gain medical attention) and then Munchausen by Proxy (faking illness in a child, so the adult gains attention). Both indicate severe emotional disturbances because literally 0 people should ever want to be seriously ill (or should want a loved one to be that ill) and the attention gained at that point isn't ever worth it, but there probably aren't enough counselors available to handle the amount of people who need behavioral therapy for those things, or they're unequipped or unmotivated to detect b.s.

I once told someone that the mental healthcare profession is an exceptionally good racket for a) "patients" who are abusive and have no intention of actually fixing themselves because they're well practiced at overly victimizing b.s. and know the profession as it is today can't be seen as "overly challenging"/"biased against" them, and b) "professionals" who are genuinely biased against patients and also have behavioral issues, but are better at hiding it, to use their positions as caregivers to deny people much-needed services. That someone didn't take that opinion very well. Hey, I didn't invent institutional abuse, I just call out the patterns.

Goldsickle

Yeah, there's Munchausen Syndrome (faking an illness to gain medical attention) and then Munchausen by Proxy (faking illness in a child, so the adult gains attention).
What is it called when you're sick but you keep it to yourself because you're afraid people will think you're faking it?

therogis

ʙʟᴏᴏᴅ ғᴏʀ ғʀᴇᴇᴅᴏᴍ
What is it called when you're sick but you keep it to yourself because you're afraid people will think you're faking it?
Supposing you're sharing your medical info only for your trusted friends (aside from professionals), I'd call that poor friendship.

Goldsickle

Supposing you're sharing your medical info only for your friends, I'd call that poor friendship.
I kinda got conditioned into hiding or suppressing my sickness due to how I was raised X3
If I'm sick, nobody in my family will believe it back then.
Things are better now but the conditioning has settled.

I always take too much time to see the doctor for something, because I keep thinking "don't worry, it will go away".

therogis

ʙʟᴏᴏᴅ ғᴏʀ ғʀᴇᴇᴅᴏᴍ
I kinda got conditioned into hiding or suppressing my sickness due to how I was raised X3
If I'm sick, nobody in my family will believe it back then.
Things are better now but the conditioning has settled.

I always take too much time to see the doctor for something, because I keep thinking "don't worry, it will go away".
Nah, that's understandable, ofc not fun tho. With this info, I also agree with @Morgan above.

Didn't mean to blame you for it, in case it sounded like that. What I meant that if you were in a situation where you have to hide your fears or anxiety from your trusted friends, that's poor friendship in terms of you deserving better friends.

berto

I Saw the Devil
So, the leaks for the CW's Powerpuff Girls pilot script turned out to be real and I am sincerely disgusted by it.

You know what made the Riverdale show work as a premise? The fact that they were teenagers. The fact that it was a highschool setting so flipping it from a very silly and overly wholesome comic strip/cartoon to a serious and overly dark highschool melodrama with murder and sexy teens is what makes the flip funny. Here, it's little girls who were known for being adorable to the point of ridiculous. Yeah, little girls who would tear monsters apart, punch the teeth off villains, blood and all, and do some tremendously violent fighting, but, despite the occasional adult joke, it was overblown, pretty evidently anime inspired, cartoon violence. Very cartoon, very overblown. Turning them into disgusting, whorish, scum is not, in any way shape or form, an appropriate adaptation (and I do mean scum because I've meet girls who act like the ones in this script and you can tell how often they were literally sticky from whatever the hell they were doing. Be it the parties, the drugs and so on). Being a bunch of drunk, disgruntled sluts from a garbage HBO show with too many buzzwords is neither a deconstruction nor a negation nor anything remotely opposite enough to be a parody of that show. It's not a smart approach to the source material and, just to add insult to injury, it was all for the sexy points. Like turning my little pony characters into human stripers who do it because they like it. Da f' is wrong with you?

Most people have to preface that they don't mind that Buttercup is a lesbian now. Not me. That was stupid and not only do I hate that they not only turned her into a lesbian but a shameless, black, promiscuous lesbian so that they can make her a super minority and a modern millennial who gets laid at all hours. Stop changing characters into whatever they are not. It's not noble and it's not heroic, it's just self glorifying borderline propaganda at this point.

This is a millenial's idea of good writing and it is dumb as bricks, when it sincerely thinks it good, and revolting when you apply it to these characters. Most people are saying it's awful writing but I'm sincerely grossed out by it and I've watched my fair share of Takashi Miike. Not only does it have no class, like, none at all, it's done to a property that has absolutely no compatibility to the themes it's applied it to. This is the worst and those people should be ashamed. I'm sure they're not. I'd bet money that they're even indignant. That people should like it on principal but to hell with that. This is garbage and my opinion of the woman who wrote Juno, Jennifer's Body and Young Adult has taken a severe turn for the worst.

Morgan

Premium
Xen-Ace 2021
This is a millenial's idea of good writing and it is dumb as bricks
Millenials are people born between 1981-1996, and the oldest ones would be pushing 40 by now if they're not already there.
Diablo Cody (the writer/producer/whatever for this show) is a Gen X-er (born 1978).

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
Millenials are people born between 1981-1996, and the oldest ones would be pushing 40 by now if they're not already there.
Diablo Cody (the writer/producer/whatever for this show) is a Gen X-er (born 1978).
I thought millienials were kids born after 2000. I always thought I was a Gen X kid till you posted it.

I guess you learn something new everyday.

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
I was always called Gen X as a teenager...

I would never call myself a millennial though. The connotations aren't desirable

Morgan

Premium
Xen-Ace 2021
Well, her writing on this one certainly fits the criteria for a millennial.
You're implying Juno didn't already fit that bill, which is laughably absurd. The entire movie includes over-written dialogue, with a snarky teen (played by a former actress who now identifies as an actor) surrounded by supporting characters all drawing from the same well of one-liners (and occasional deliberate rhyme schemes) filled with name-checking and pop culture references. No one in the movie sounded like an actual tolerable human being to the point where if you remove all of the names from the script, you probably can't tell who's talking, including that clerk played by Rainn Wilson, and whatshisname played by Jason Bateman who should be old enough to know better but for some reason catches feelings for a teen because he's also emotionally stunted.

Diablo's cringe writing didn't get any less cringe, you just noticed it's aimed at the "wrong" young people this time, which is silly when you think Riverdale "works". It doesn't. Its only appeal is that it's a trashy train wreck. It's also written by Gen X-ers and late millennials who actually identify as gay/lesbian/"queer", attempting to do a dark and gritty, sleazy flip on what's originally an approachable, all-ages property. It's still executed as badly as anything done by out-of-touch adults making confessionals on how trashy they really want to be because they're dead set on portraying young teens as "f#cking around" being hoes and manhoes and couching that sleaze under the guise of edgy/new/different/transgressive "Non-Traditional Sexual Relationships", which doubles around to be an effective argument for both monogamy and celibacy because all the NTSRs in the show are predatory and unsatisfying.

I'm not defending any of this, but pretending the wrong generation wrote a sucky plot to a TV show when the show or movie you think is a better example is actually written by, written for, or cast with the exact demographic you can't stand, doesn't really help the point. It's all bad.

I thought millienials were kids born after 2000.
Those are Zoomers.

Those are literally Zoomers.

The entire point of the term "Millennial" is that the oldest ones turned into adults at the turn of the millennium.

But if it helps you all feel better, the term "Gen Y" exists for a reason.

Last edited:

berto

I Saw the Devil
You're implying Juno didn't already fit that bill, which is laughably absurd.
Fine.
which is silly when you think Riverdale "works"
I don't watch Riverdale but I do remember when it came out. The premise had, pardon the similar tone, promise for the reasons I mentioned. I haven't watched the CW for prolonged periods of time since Supernatural hit its 6th season.
wrong generation wrote
Yeah, I'm not hinting that any other generation could've pulled it off but this is the same type of storytelling that drove me off the wall when playing Afterparty. The one with all the same traits and awful dialogue. It's a ranting thread. I'm ranting and venting. Why should I bother to be precise or accurate?

Top Bottom