• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

The ranting thinking thread

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
Flat packed furniture, missing bits

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaargh, i wish i could dropkick this table in the Faaaaace

Anyway, time to go for a calming walk

berto

I Saw the Devil
There is this whole thing with the Evangelion series, mostly its fanbase. You can't talk to certain people or say certain things amongst them because they are blind and deaf, though certainly not mute, about it. I've seen some pretty malicious fanbases, this one being no exception, but I think there is something special about the Eva lot. For one, those that speak Japanese seem disproportionately arrogant and are well aware of it. Others can take no criticism of it, or whatever it is that they like, because reasons. For example, I once talked to a guy about how terrible Anima was, how downright proposturious the whole thing was, but he refused to believe that was because the mechas were so well designed, so even the fact that Asuka turned into a giant Eva and had a thong, he argued, was not a ridiculous and stupid idea because the artist designed it so well. The level of stupidity, arrogance and downright a**holeness one has to deal with when venturing towards the Eva fandom is baffling. No wonder the director isn't fund of his fanbase, either. I know, that describes so many fandoms it's practically a universal experience. I don't, however, really bother going outside certain communities, so it's only this and a few other communities I tend to venture towards.

That's why I can never talk about the franchise within the circles that are actually interested, the Eva fandom, in most my experience, are c**ts. There are exceptions, ofcourse, very notable ones, too, but those are individuals and you rarely get a reaction from them. The crowds, on the other hand, tend to be the ones that I end up having to talk to and it rarely ends well.

With that being said, I really, really, did not like the last 2 eva movies. This is something people really don't want to hear, nor do they seem to either understand nor want to, but they last 2 movies aren't just the divergence from the original concept that the first two were, retelling of the original show with a bigger budget and some alterations to allow for time. They are fundamentally very different from both the original show and the first two movies. They certainly still feel like a Gainax production, just not the same one. These movies have more in common with Gurren Lagann than they do with Eva. Because of they are both Gainax works people seem to think that they are interchangeable, that they can be like the other with no real for how they are different, but that does not really work here. Had the idea been this, to make and Eva adaptation that was closer to the later Gainax, Trigger and Khara projects it'd be one thing, but that was not what was promised.

That's just the fundamental issue I have with this whole thing. I could really also go into very specific points but best let sleeping dogs lie for not.

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
Absolutely bizarre that people keep rocking up to the shop to ask me to do my job and then try to explain how to do it to me.

I don't care how much you read on the internet, I'm the one who went through the training and got the qualifications, don't think you're an expert who can tell me how to do repair work.

therogis

ʙʟᴏᴏᴅ ғᴏʀ ғʀᴇᴇᴅᴏᴍ
I don't pressure you to attend my freetime or religious activities. So why don't you stop pressuring me into your Christmas celebration or try to trick me into joining your Christmas eve or accepting gifts?

Also it's not nice to say "merry Christmas therogis" with a smirk just to check how I react. Personally I also cannot fathom how on earth do you consider it an insult when I reply "Thank you".

Goldsickle

I hate fake "animal rescue" videos where a small animal is harmed to make it look like they are saved.
Sometimes, it's edited in reverse, where they have the animal die and then the culprits pretend to resuscitate it.

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
I don't wanna go back to work tomorrow. I don't wanna look at spreadsheets and complicated calendars and booking systems and deal with idiots on the phone and idiots over email and idiots who come in and ask idiotic questions.

I also don't want to take down the 8ft Christmas tree which took half a day to put up and decorate.

I especially don't want to chase late payments, bad faith bookings and paperwork I should have had back in October.

It probably doesn't help that I'm not overly fond of people yet work in a very people-centric environment...

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
Apparently a Californian University is removing the word "field" in stuff like "field of study" because once upon a time, America had slaves working in the plantations, and that's totally relevant and encompasses all forms of the word "field". :rolleyes:

What immediately came to mind was...
Don't you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought? In the end we shall make thoughtcrime literally impossible, because there will be no words in which to express it.
-Syme, from the novel 1984.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
Another poster on a comic book forum misconstrued what I said and accused me of racism.

I told him to take his insecurities and f off. It took me 3 tries to find a diplomatic version of that sentiment.

I just deleted the post.

Editing is hard lol.

Meg

Another poster on a comic book forum misconstrued what I said and accused me of racism.

I told him to take his insecurities and f off. It took me 3 tries to find a diplomatic version of that sentiment.

I just deleted the post.

Editing is hard lol.
Let me guess, you said something completely reasonable and people freaked out anyway. I gave up on comics a few years ago. Try to avoid talking about them too because the fanbase can get nuts.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
Let me guess, you said something completely reasonable and people freaked out anyway. I gave up on comics a few years ago. Try to avoid talking about them too because the fanbase can get nuts.

There were some miscommunication. They took my post out of context and started to accuse me of anti-white sentiment. I just got so angry so I posted that here.

The DmC years were frought with arguing but we never took it that far.

I guess the older fandoms tend to be more vitriol.

I still like comics tho but I'm changing my habits a bit.

Forums can be a downer after a while.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups!
"I'm tired of Witch Time!". Where have you whiners been all this time? Platinum Games has always dealt with bullet time of some kind since they're very inception as Team Little Devils & Clover Studios. Bangle of time, VFX bar (W101 basically uses this), Roulette Wheel,Jack's bullet time slow down whenever he dodges an attack, AR meter, etc. I don't mind to do a change up now and then, but time manipulation has been in most of their titles. Don't know why some of y'all fans are tired of this now, and should have been tired of it by the mid 2010s. If that was really the case.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups!
Not the entire video, but GS's statement at the 1:23 mark. He talks about how the action game genre has gotten far too little love in recent years....aaaaaaaaaaannnnnnddd none of that is true. Unless you're talking about a majority of critics, they don't count for ****. I am assuming he doesn't like Ragnarök (he did enjoy GoW4 despite his issues with the game), and has problems with Bayonetta 3's story as hinted later in the video. I don't care how much he doesn't like either or not, to say the genre has gotten little love recently in the past couple of years is definitely false. DMC5 came out in 2019 and people are still playing or buying the game. No More Heroes 3 came out in 2021 and got ported to PC and other consoles last year. I know Hi-Fi Rush just came out, but he couldn't have predicted that.

What about the niche DMC/Bayonetta action games on Steam? What about Evil West? What about the revitalization of the 2D brawler genre we've been getting for since the late 2010s. Or they don't count? Which is bullshit, if that is the case. Games like Streets of Rage 4, The TakeOver, Shredder's Revenge, and even Final Vendetta borrow some elements from DMC. Which is ironic, because DMC itself took elements from arcade brawlers and fighting games. I know the show is satire, but I can tell when GS is off the cuff and more direct and serious. You're better than that Gaming Sins. Otherwise, a good video.

Goldsickle

Yes, YouTube.

I totally watched a few Little Nightmares videos.
That does not mean you can start recommending me one of those "let's play" videos where this random person I don't know has their face in a little inset at the corner of the screen, commenting on their s***ty gameplay.

Gasoline Tank

So my mum is at risk of having an aortic dissection because of an abdominal aneurysm, but she prefers to smoke constantly. Plus, she has emphysema and high blood pressure as well.

That's crazy! :(

Top Bottom