• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

The Snyder Cut

Morgan

Premium
Xen-Ace 2021
This is, well, sincerely, it's all ridiculous. These numbers are insane. I am honestly hoping that they are playing up all this drama for numbers because WB is sitting on a gold mine and if they are refusing to exploit it then, well, it'd be stupid.
To be fair,

WB is stupid.

WB said Snyder was trying to seize control of DC Films through Ray Fisher's exposure of the studio's nonsense, as if it's remotely plausible to become chairman/executive that easily by one actor calling for an investigation into what went on behind the scenes. Meanwhile Whedon threatened Gal Gadot's career (said in her words, "He kind of threatened my career and said that if I did something, he would make my career miserable and I just took care of it instead") and Kevin Tsujihara was right in the middle of a sex trafficking scandal they were pretending didn't exist while he was being promoted to bigger overseeing functions. Johns was too busy being precious about some nostalgiawank properties he wrote for and being tremendously out of touch. WB should be worried about the fact that they kept defending themselves that way while trying to smear Snyder.

WB, in relation to the above, would get the trades to release different headlines like clockwork every time Fisher tweeted about something. This includes Deadline's "Jason Momoa is in talks to play Frosty in Frosty the Snowman because his connection to Ohana captures the spirit of Frosty" piece that even Momoa called out as fake. WB promptly backpedaled the holy hell out of that news to it being an Untitled Snowman Comedy. Other great blunders include releasing the 4K trailer for Josstice League, and dropping the "WB's search for a Black Superman" bit right on Henry Cavill's birthday to cover up the "Toby Emmerich is looking for a new job" headline from the same trade.

WB placed unreal expectations on BvS's "star power" (in this case, "IP power") and threw Snyder under the bus just because Superman and Batman didn't individually pull in 1 billion USD each off of their names, even though no Superman movie has ever earned a billion dollars, and Supes is the most deconstructed character in comics history, often criticized as boring and one-note to begin with. Man of Steel still definitely made more money than Superman Returns, because if anyone (including WB) actually gave a damn about Returns's nostalgia and reliance on the Reeves aesthetic of the 80s, that movie would've done better. Even Batman by himself didn't even break a billion in the box office in the generally-well-received Nolan trilogy until The Dark Knight, and some of that billion-plus can't be placed squarely on Batman pulling people into seats but also the power of Heath Ledger's performance as the Joker, as well as Batman Begins being TDK's predecessor and serving as "proof of concept". Even then, the grounded take on the hero is what makes people say things like "the TDK trilogy wasn't really a trilogy of Batman Movies, they were Movies With Batman In It" and going on about how in truth, Nolan's Batman isn't comic book accurate.

But speaking in terms of box office, MoS and BvS combined made more money than even the first three MCU movies in their respective cinematic universe, so they did something right in the most basic sense. In fact, movie-for-movie, DCEU's "Phase 1" slate (MoS, BvS, Suicide Squad, Wonder Woman, Justice League, Aquaman) beat the MCU's Phase 1 (Iron Man, The Incredible Hulk, Iron Man 2, Thor, Captain America, The Avengers) by a literal billion dollars, and it was Aquaman of all heroes that added that extra billion-plus even with the public perception of his character being the lame joke hero that "talks to fish", and the Momoa iteration of the character spent less than half an hour in JL2017, hardly anything to get a good grip of his character off of. To compare, Iron Man 3 needed its titular hero to feature in four films prior (2 solos, 1 post-credits cameo, 1 team up) to generate billion-busting hype.

Breakdown aside, WB threw Snyder under the bus and let him catch the heat for BvS being a mess even though a) they cut out a sixth of the runtime with their unreasonable mandate, and the script Terrio and Snyder had to work with was done by David Goyer at WB's behest, so it was WB's own fault the script was so dark and even had such ridiculous moments as Lois taunting African terrorists about how Superman wouldn't go easy on them because they hit her.

WB upset Christopher Nolan and Dennis Villeneuve. Need I say more?

WB tried to kill off Todd Phillips's Joker and refused to fund it fully, which is why two other production companies came in and added their money into the pile. Joker made over a billion even as a rated R flick with no "connected universe" to ride off of, and WB has to split the earnings with the other studios. There still isn't a DC Black Label run of films to allow directors to take that type of risk with other characters.

WB completely failed to capture the demand for Gotham City Sirens and instead gave the public Birds of Prey, which in their infinite wisdom they gave it the difficult-to-remember, tongue-bending title of Birds of Prey (and the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) which nonsensically gives Harley second billing in her own title when she's the one headlining the whole damn thing, hence the retitle to Harley Quinn: Birds of Prey after its poor performance in the box office, which they blamed on COVID-19. Then Sonic kicked BoP's ass in theaters a week later and went on to become the highest grossing superhero movie of 2020, dethroning Marvel's decade-long run with that title, because of course it did.

WB canned New Gods and The Trench, with New Gods's speculated cancellation being due to Darkseid's appearance in ZSJL, even though the entire point of a multiverse is to have different iterations of the same character existing at once, on different Earths, as seen in CW's The Flash and related Arrowverse TV shows.

WB is attempting to use the Flash solo movie to rectify the issues with the greater DCEU and reboot the Justice League, literally making his solo movie about a bunch of characters that aren't him, which is what supposedly ruined BvS in the first place since Snyder initially was on to make a standalone trilogy solely about Superman the way Nolan worked solely on Batman and Gotham, and is what definitely ruined Marvel's Iron Man 2 (turning it into a glorified Avengers trailer).

And I mean, WB has been stupid ever since Richard Donner was replaced for Superman II and his movie got Frankensteined with another director and a whole new soundtrack all the way back in 1980 and it took 25 years and a lot of fan petitioning to deliver the Donner Cut. Time is a flat effing circle with these people.

BTW,

Update on the view numbers
Tencent Video: 28.771million (28,771,000)
Bilibili: 12.221million (12,221,000)
Miguvideo: 390million (390,000,000)
iQiyi: still inconclusive.

so it jumped from a combined 399,435,000+ views on Thursday, up to 430,992,000+ views as of this moment of posting. That's pretty much "one third of the entire population in China" watched the movie.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Well, from what I've read on the topic, this is WB's pattern. An odd one at that, considering that they've been at it since the 90's. Joel Schumacher recently mentioned that Batman Forever was originally a much darker and psychological film, that there is a 'Schumacher cut,' but the studio stepped in and turned it into something brighter. Schumacher's theory had always been that they did this for the toy sales. This also aligns with David Ayer's claims that his film was much grimmer but that scared the studio and they splashed a hell of a lot of color into it. Some footage that got leaked showed a fight scene between an armed squadron and Batman and, according to Snyder, Steppenwolf was also set up in the film, as in he actually appears in it, which would lead in to Snyder's JL, which is why they threw it out.

The other thing I kept hearing during this whole ordeal was that WB wanted Marvel numbers and they wanted them yesterday. Rather than getting a MoS2 they demanded an Avengers film from DC and they weren't willing to put in the time. They also kept trying to change their movies into marvel movies, ride off the success of those.

Anyway, it's strange that the people at Warner are unwilling to entertain the idea to support what clearly is a very successful enterprise. You'd think they'd ride the wave and release the Ayer cut, at least after the new SSqud releases. To just Money. That should be their incentive to just movie on and push some more of this on. It's what keeps the lights on. Had the Snyder endeavour been a bust that'd be one thing, but not only was it not, not only did this whole ordeal prove that Snyder knows how to create a loyal fan base, they actually went ahead and claimed that it was an utter failure before they even released the movie world wide, leading to the question of whether or not they lied about that in the first place. They have been working extra hard to snuff this whole thing and getting back to copying Marvel. Even got one of their directors to do their next big release. This is utterly baffling.

Fun fact, Snyder didn't pick the name BvS: DoJ. That was the studio. The working title for the film was Son of the Sun, Knight of the Night.

Morgan

Premium
Xen-Ace 2021
Yeah, we were talking about the Schumacher thing and WB's habits a literal page ago along with the whole Dawn of Justice thing. WB still set its precedent for dumb decisions in the 80s with Donner getting replaced by Lester for Superman II. Donner's cut of the movie was "75% finished", the final cut only had a quarter of what Donner shot, Lester's reshoots made everything jokier and overall it was a worse film, the score for the movie was replaced, and Donner wasn't paid for redoing the film (at least in Snyder's case, he declined pay in favor of creative control... and then they started putting conditions on what he was allowed to put in ZSJL afterward).

David Ayer's case is sad; his movie was butchered just to it could fit a trailer. And WB thought it was great to have Diablo die in the theatrical cut and for Harley to be an accomplice in Robin's murder even though she was still a psychiatrist at the time, and the timeline was Joker murders Robin -> gets his teeth punched out -> replaced with silver -> meets Harleen -> turns her into Harley. And Suicide Squad didn't even release in Mexico due to a revenue split dispute, and didn't release in China due to the title or subject matter, which is stupid for WB to have allowed because it could've just been renamed "Task Force X"/"Special Task Force".

Anyway, the "Son of Sun and Knight of Night" was just a title Snyder spitballed off the top of his head just to prove he didn't have the stuffy "sounds like a court case" title of BvS: DoJ. Terrio had the much simpler "Batman/Superman" which is not only recognizable because the title format's been done in the comics, but wouldn't have hyped people up for a fight scene that didn't dominate the entire movie the way Godzilla vs Kong had multiple rounds. Then they could've saved World's Finest for the next teamup movie if they thought of it.

WB's shifted gears so often and shown a lack of commitment that the situation they're in is entirely their fault. Snyder should've just made the Superman sequels Russell Crowe was talking about. And when Batman got mentioned they should've allowed it to be a Batman/Superman two-parter (Enter the Knight and then Dawn of Justice). And when that didn't happen and Justice League was being shot directly after BvS, it should've had breathing room to be a trilogy. Now we've ended up with fans suffering from MCU brainrot who think every single cinematic universe needs 10 films of set-up, even though the Avengers 2012 didn't have a Black Widow or Hawkeye solo film before they showed up, and the Avengers initial draft had Ant-Man in it because in 2006 they planned for Ant-Man and Nick Fury to have their own solo films, which either never happened or happened too late because of Marvel's executive control at the time.

Morgan

Premium
Xen-Ace 2021

The Hollywood Reporter: Discovery CEO David Zaslav on WarnerMedia Deal: Relationships With Talent Will Be “Number One Priority”

Stankey and Zaslav also addressed the status of WarnerMedia CEO Jason Kilar, who joined the company only a year ago.

“Jason is still the CEO of WarnerMedia,” Stankey said, adding that Zaslav “has a lot of decisions to make about personnel.”

“Jason is a fantastic talent,” Zaslav said, noting that he got to know the exec when he was developing Hulu. He added that CNN president Jeff Zucker was a close friend as well. “The focus will be on talking to everybody at Discovery and everybody at WarnerMedia, and we will be trying to figure out how to get the best people to stay.”

Zaslav also seemed aware of some of the criticism WarnerMedia has faced in recent months from high-profile Hollywood talent, many of whom felt blindsided by the decision to release Warner Bros. films on HBO Max the same day they were released in theaters.

The Discovery CEO said that his “number one priority” will be building “relationships with the creative community,” and that he plans to spend time in Los Angeles, New York and anywhere else that talent is based.

“I will be anywhere in the world the creatives are, to strive to create the best creative culture,” Zaslav said. “We want our company to be the place where people that want creativity, they want flexibility, they want stories, they will come to us.”

The New York Times: Jason Kilar, the WarnerMedia chief, is said to be negotiating his exit.

Jason Kilar has hired a legal team to negotiate his departure as chief executive of WarnerMedia, according to two people briefed on the matter. AT&T, which owns WarnerMedia, said on Monday that it had agreed to spin off the division and merge it with a rival media company, Discovery Inc.

Mr. Kilar was kept in the dark about the deal until recent days, the people said, speaking on the condition of anonymity to discuss private conversations.
A spokeswoman for WarnerMedia declined to comment.

The new company will be run by David Zaslav, 60, a media veteran and the longtime chief executive of Discovery. Mr. Zaslav and AT&T’s chief executive, John Stankey, had met over the last few months “secretly from my brownstone in Greenwich Village,” Mr. Zaslav said on a call with reporters on Monday.

Mr. Kilar, 50, was hired to run AT&T’s media group only last year. He formerly held senior jobs at Hulu and Amazon.

“Jason is a fantastic talent,” Mr. Zaslav said on the call with reporters following the announcement.

Mr. Stankey noted on the call that Mr. Kilar remained the chief executive of WarnerMedia, though he added, “David’s got a lot of decisions to make on personnel.”

Mr. Kilar on Monday morning sent a rallying-the-troops memo to WarnerMedia staff that called the merger “momentous news.” He did not get into his own future at the company.

“I recognize it will take all we’ve got to keep our collective focus on the mission,” the memo concluded. “We can do it.”
He added a smiley face emoticon.

Quick update on ZSJL views

Miguvideo: 400million
Tencent: 29.932million
Bilibili: 12.499 million
iQiyi and Youku both stopped displaying viewcounts client-side since 2019 to make a "more positive environment" due to online dramas potentially getting their view counts inflated by fans. ("Fandom... fandom never changes.")
Total so far: 442,431,000+ views.

Last edited:

Morgan

Premium
Xen-Ace 2021

‘Zack Snyder’s Justice League’ Dominates Disc Sales

Zack Snyder’s Justice League easily took the top spot on both the NPD VideoScan First Alert chart, which tracks combined DVD and Blu-ray Disc unit sales, and the dedicated Blu-ray Disc sales chart the week ended Sept. 11. The four-hour director’s cut of the 2017 superhero team-up Justice League, distributed by Warner Bros. Home Entertainment, outsold the No. 2 title by a 5-to-1 margin.
The previous week’s top overall disc seller, Warner’s The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It, dropped to No. 2 on the overall chart.
Update on streaming views:
Miguvideo: 490 million
Tencent: 49.275 million
Bilibili: 18.715 million
Total: 557.99 million views in Chinese streaming services that we know of.

Morgan

Premium
Xen-Ace 2021
Oh, is that video still unlisted on the Warner Bros. official channel with no playlist to access it from?
*checks*
Yup.

berto

I Saw the Devil
I got my copy on the day of. I actually had to travel to go get it, Everyone only had a literal copy or two and I managed to get one of the two the store had. I don't like that it has the movie split up into two discs. Switch to disc 2 is something we were SPECIFICALLY promised would not be a thing when bluray came into the scene. I am also not pleased that the B&W version is only on streaming. Well, be that as it may, I got my copy and if I knew that they were going to have all 3 movies on one set I wouldn't've bothered buying each on 4k when I did. I would've just waited. I had them on bluray.

AgentRedgrave

Legendary Devil Hunter
I got a copy ordered that should arrive by Thursday. Plan on giving Man Of Steel and Batman v Superman (Ultimate Edition) a rewatch to get ready for it.
Yeah I still haven't seen it. Not that I didn't want too, just I didn't feel like getting Crave TV to do so

Morgan

Premium
Xen-Ace 2021

The Undoing of Joss Whedon

A puff piece on Joss Whedon. Among other things, he:

called Ray Fisher a bad actor. Too many letters are afforded to the idea that Zack Snyder "tricked [Ray] Fisher into thinking Whedon was racist" and that Ray was the difficult one on set.
paused a shoot during Justice League to say he'd never worked with "a ruder group of people", referring to the actors.
claimed that Gal Gadot misinterpreted his threats because English isn't her first language and his English was "too flowery for her", even though he's on record having threatened James Marsters over his popularity as Spike and having done it in plain, easily understood English.
avoided confronting specific cases about his abuse towards other people and would leave to the bathroom to not have to answer a question. After already divulging that he was advised to pretend to leave to the bathroom whenever he was uncomfortable with a question.
admitted to various infidelities with younger women, including paying a young showrunner's assistant $2500 to go to his home to watch him write as a pretense for initiating a relationship with her that he told her to keep secret from her bosses.
just generally seemed baffled that people have a negative opinion about him and insists that he's one of the nicer directors/showrunners that an actor would ever meet, claiming victimhood while also casually admitting that he used his position of power to abuse and humiliate various people working under him.

His excuses basically boil down to The Narcissist's Prayer, if you want the TLDR.

Morgan

Premium
Xen-Ace 2021
unknown.png

Damn, two categories basically invented for Spider-Man NWH just to stop Marvel fans' whining that it didn't get a nom for Best Picture, and Snyder movies take both of them.

I advise everyone to a) never have a Twitter in the first place, but b) avoid the site if it's too late to do A. I'm sure the salt is pouring about this latest development.

Anyway, #RestoreTheSnyderverse

berto

I Saw the Devil
While I'm happy to call JL an academy award winning movie it is on a BS (no pun intended) category. Those are the kinds of awards they give at the kids show awards. God, they keep cheapening the oscars every year. It's going to have to get to the point where someone has to slap you just to stay awake.

Morgan

Premium
Xen-Ace 2021
While I'm happy to call JL an academy award winning movie it is on a BS (no pun intended) category. Those are the kinds of awards they give at the kids show awards. God, they keep cheapening the oscars every year. It's going to have to get to the point where someone has to slap you just to stay awake.
Is it really any more BS than the Academy Awards proposing/inventing the "Best Popular Film Award" so that Black Panther could win because it wouldn't get Best Picture, and so the judges could pat themselves on the back? The Oscars were already cheap and the ratings were down the toilet, but it's still funny that BP is the only MCU movie that's won academy awards for the whole studio while DC has 7 awards from the same association split across five movies (Joker: Best Actor + Best Original Score; Suicide Squad: Best Makeup and Hairstyling; The Dark Knight: Best Supporting Actor + Best Sound Editing; Batman 89: Best Production Design; Superman I: Special Achievement in Visual Effects).

It's still hilarious that they invent two more awards fulfilling the same function as Best Popular Film as a prize for Spider-Man and the Marvel machine, only for Zack Snyder to win both. That'll teach them.

To elaborate: the Oscars went down the toilet the very second the term "Oscar Bait" was coined. The fact that there exists a term for a subtype of film created solely for the purposes of gaming the system and attracting the votes of Academy critics by pandering to their biases, most often period pieces and biographical stories about dead people, made the event suspect and not worth taking 100% seriously or lending much credibility to. Pretty sure they don't even watch all the movies that are up for nominations in their respective categories, and that isn't even getting into how little they value animated films or genuine voice acting as opposed to "star-studded" celebrity stunt casting.

Last edited:
Top Bottom