• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

The Writing (and Artistic) Ranting Thread

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I went to writer's meetup on Saturday. It was in Central park and hosted by Jacob Kreuger Studios, a screenwriter workshop in NYC.

Their podcasts are pretty good. I recommend them even if you're not a screenwriter.

We did some writing exercises and swapped stories. There was a teacher who taught "meditative writing" and it was fun.

Most of the writers were beginners looking to start writing or college students and people in the business but lapsed. I'm in the middle and one person said she wasn't motivated enough to finish anything she started

That got me thinking about my writer's block and the slump i feel my life is in.

:':)unsure::whistle::banghead::nailbiting:

therogis

ʙʟᴏᴏᴅ ғᴏʀ ғʀᴇᴇᴅᴏᴍ
I'm troubled by my WIP.

It seems that the only natural option to end the story is to destroy one of my main characters. His story has been leading to inevitable destruction since page 1. He tried, he really tried, but there's no way he could make it. He just didn't learn from his mistakes. It would be ridiculous if he just suddenly realized everything and saved himself.

The thing is... he's a reflection of me. His problems are my problems.
If he won't make it, am I able to make it? Wouldn't destroying him just be a very bad way to predict my own fate?

I mean... I don't want to do this. Not to him. Not to myself. I can't.
But it would serve the story though.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I'm troubled by my WIP.

It seems that the only natural option to end the story is to destroy one of my main characters. His story has been leading to inevitable destruction since page 1. He tried, he really tried, but there's no way he could make it. He just didn't learn from his mistakes. It would be ridiculous if he just suddenly realized everything and saved himself.

If he won't make it, am I able to make it? Wouldn't destroying him just be a very bad way to predict my own fate?

I went through something similar with my own work. Sometimes going too personal or getting too invested is detrimental.

I'd say try writing a happy ending for yourself and use the sad ending for the actual story.

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
This isn't working - two themes, opposed to one another, within one piece of writing.

I've got a week to come up with something decent or scrap it altogether. Which is happening more often than not, lately.

Ugh...need rewrites, a decent thesaurus and some peace and quiet. The thesaurus I can manage.

Shadow

the horror was for love
Premium
Hm...a little over a week for three fic deadlines...don't wanna. Just...no motivation to do it.

+ Learning that the Conan Doyle estate has been exploiting money from anyone wishing to use Holmes in something for years now kinda makes me not wanna work on my pastiche....

therogis

ʙʟᴏᴏᴅ ғᴏʀ ғʀᴇᴇᴅᴏᴍ
I'm troubled by my WIP.

I made a decision and I'm literally crying, I feel so sorry for him and I just want to hug him and gosh he's a fictional character, why is this so hard?!
I'm gonna miss him. Farewell :'(

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
Why am I so intimidated by this project? I keep feeling like I'm going to eff it up--but it's my story. How can I ruin something that's mine to begin with? I mean, sure, I'm all for making this first draft as polished as possible, but it's still only a first draft--if there's anything wrong with it, that's what re-drafting is for. I know this, and while I've gone through this with every other project, I feel like none of them (save WoN) scared me as much as this one does.

Is it because I'm entering into the unfamiliar, into a genre I have little to no experience with? Is it because I intend for this one to be traditionally published? Is it because I'm still in varying stages of progress with my indie works?

My money's on a little bit of everything, plus things I haven't thought about or listed.

So many what-ifs going through my head, too: What if I can't regain the voice I had when I started this (which I'm actually pretty impressed with, no conceit intended)? What if I get stuck again? What if I never figure out how to end it? What if, what if, what if...

Ugh. I just want to write the damn thing without fretting over it. But I guess fretting, if I don't let it consume me, is what will take a good story and make it better.

Gods, I hope I'm equal to the task. ._.

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
Well, just submitted The 13th Magic to a children's literary agency.

I'm confident that it's good, and that whatever edits are needed before publication, I'll be able to do them with minimal fuss... And I seldom have that level of confidence. Fingers crossed things go well. I know the odds of getting an agent fast are pretty slim. I'm just hoping it doesn't take more than a year.

Gods, I'm so frigging nervous. x_x

Shadow

the horror was for love
Premium
Why does it seem like 99% of fantasy stories are set in medieval Europe? It's so boring. I'm so bored with it. Can we set it somewhere else? Anywhere else? Why is highfantasy so scared of branching out?? Please...some sand...rock....varied weather...please....

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I took a TV Drama writing class a few weeks ago. Writing classes are a fun way to network and learn something new. My teacher gave me the advice of writing the next episode, the 10th episode or the 100th episode in order to figure out the "engine" of the show.

An "engine" is like the blueprint for a TV episode- what the characters would be doing from week to week. It's a fancy way of saying you need a formula but less restrictive.

Picard

Starfleet Demon
Why does it seem like 99% of fantasy stories are set in medieval Europe? It's so boring. I'm so bored with it. Can we set it somewhere else? Anywhere else? Why is highfantasy so scared of branching out?? Please...some sand...rock....varied weather...please....

It is called "follow the leader". In this case, leader being Lord of the Rings... though it is an ironic example, because Lord of the Rings is set into Dark Ages, whereas most Medieval fantasy is set into Late Middle Ages to Renaissance period (plate armour, political organization and stuff).

EDIT: If you want fantasy that is not Western European Feudal, I may recommend Codex Alera and Videssos cycle.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I feel like a fraud because I can't muster any passion for my list of ideas. I find it hard to go back to my tv pilot and i find it easier to complain/fix existing franchises than work on my potential ones.

Being a fan is a distraction.

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
I've beta read a lot. Maybe not as much as other people, but I've done it enough times to know what to expect.

Having a writer request that I sign an NDA was never on the list of possibilities. :cautious: To be fair, this writer received the advice from another writer, and I can't tell if it's born of complete and utter paranoia, or if they're both just inexperienced.

I mean, I'll do it, but it just strikes me as weird.

+Shouldn't be too much longer before WoN's audiobook is set. ^^ Hopefully the anthology gets launched soon, too.

Last edited:

Erian1Mortal

Premium
Man... I've been re-writing this thing for ages...
Guess I'll start from scratch once again, not that it matters in the long run. But i hope to finish the whole thing this year... wich is probably wishful thinking...

V

Oldschool DMC fan
I've beta read a lot. Maybe not as much as other people, but I've done it enough times to know what to expect.

Having a writer request that I sign an NDA was never on the list of possibilities. :cautious: To be fair, this writer received the advice from another writer, and I can't tell if it's born of complete and utter paranoia, or if they're both just inexperienced.

I mean, I'll do it, but it just strikes me as weird.

+Shouldn't be too much longer before WoN's audiobook is set. ^^ Hopefully the anthology gets launched soon, too.
I've worked on illustrations for writers that requested NDAs on the material they sent me for reference. It's a little strange, but maybe those writers had something ripped off in the past before and they're just a bit nervous. I can sort of see why but there wasn't much risk from me, lol.

V

Oldschool DMC fan
Haha, I was thinking the other day how easy it would have been to set my latest comic ideas in a medieval setting instead of a neolithic one or a sci-fi one.... mainly because the "world" of Euro medieval settings is already so engrained and understood in UK culture. It's a safe bet and people don't think it's too weird or taxing. But unless there's something else in there to spice it up, I agree - potentially formulaic and boring.

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
I've worked on illustrations for writers that requested NDAs on the material they sent me for reference. It's a little strange, but maybe those writers had something ripped off in the past before and they're just a bit nervous. I can sort of see why but there wasn't much risk from me, lol.

My money is on whoever gave the advice had it happen. Fortunately it's no big deal. I'm sure as hell not going to tell anyone what the story is, or rip her off. I've got 7 WIPs of my own to contend with. That's enough masochism for the next 5+ years. xD

Top Bottom