• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Treasure of Sparda

Status
Not open for further replies.

tettora

I was watching the Count of Monte Cristo the other day, where I heard reference to the treasure of Sparda. Was just wondering if anyone knew the myth of this treasure, would be fun to see if the original name linked up with his character in the games like Dante, Trish and Vergil's all do.

tettora

....Probably lol. Maybe I misheard and got over excited. I was wondering why google didn't have anything on it.

Tony_Redgrave

TimeLord Detective
tettora;62949 said:
....Probably lol. Maybe I misheard and got over excited. I was wondering why google didn't have anything on it.

I thought so :lol:
Their makeshift underground tunnel leading out to sea is interrupted when Faria is buried in a cave-in. Before he dies, Faria confesses to Dantès that he indeed knows the whereabouts of Spada's treasure, which was concealed in an old circular map he kept hidden in his cell.

Wiki

One of my favorite (if not my all times favorite) movie^_^

tettora

It indeed is a great film! SHould probably read the book too.

Guess I thought they said Sparda because the name Dantes was in there and all.

Does the name Sparda feature anywhere in any sort of story/myth? Always wondered if it had significance.

Tony_Redgrave

TimeLord Detective
Unfortunately I haven't found anything.(Believe me I've searched a lot the past years about that). I loved the nickname 'Sparda' so I wanted to learn more about it but as far as I know it only has to do with DMC..

tettora

Well....if you take allowances for different name spellings, Spada/Sparda is pretty similar. And as spada comes from a word meaning sword...and Sparda left swords....urm....obvous connection or what. Also, Cardinal Bernardino Spada acted as a peace negotiator....sort of like Sparda holding back the underword. As you can see clear connections lol!

Tony_Redgrave

TimeLord Detective
Devil May Cry actually has the most connections with Divine Comedy. The hero there is Dante, who is guided by Beatrice (Trish) in Hell (Mallet Island) and the different layers in it. Throughout his adventure he meets with Virgil (Vergil) and often gets guided to places by mysterious women like a woman named Lucia and the mother of Jesus, Maria. (Mary -Lady) I also believe that the gate to the the 3rd layer of hell has a guardian with 3 heads. (Like Mission 3 in DMC3 has Cerberus). Furthermore Geryon was somehow included as well.

I haven't read it myself, but I have heard much for it. Here's a Wiki link about it.

tettora

I've actually read some of it looong ago, before I even heard of the game, so it's been fun to link up all the names.
Just I don't ever recall hearing Sparda's name in anything anywhere, would be unteresting to hear what's connotations it has.

Tony_Redgrave

TimeLord Detective
True. It would be funny that in a game where most names are taken from somewhere or have some kind of meaning like the ones below have created a legendary hero, whose name has neither background nor some kind of meaning.

Dante
Mundus
Alastor
Ifrit
Phandom
Griffon
Vergil
Cerberus
Agni
Rudra
Leviathan
Beowulf
Nero
Agnus
Credo

And so many others which do not have a background behind them but rather just a simple meaning. Like Rebellion is meant to be the perfect weapon for Dante since it is named after one of his most characteristic traits. His rebellious nature. And Yamato means ideal. The ideal weapon for slaying Devils, as we see Vergil kills them in one hit with swift and merciless moves.

Anyway I would really like to see the name Sparda somewhere but the only non-DMC place that has some connection to the name is some kind of bank with that name. Weird:huh:

tettora

lol, well, the only reference I can think of is Sparda is the Persian name for the city of Sardis, but can't really connect a whole city to one person.

Tony_Redgrave

TimeLord Detective
I would only be able to connect some kind of Demonic entity or some kind of Knight/Hero to Sparda.

For example Mundus in latin means world. But of course it's not where the idea of the demon emperor came from:p

tettora

blah....extremely tenuous theory here - as sparda is another name for sardis, maybe the meaning of sardis could be looked at. sardis (according to my access to scholarly journals) means wall/circle, ;prince of joy and has connections with the god Helios so er, what we have is Sparda is a wall against tyranny, brings joy (to threatened humans) and shines a lot like the sun. :/

Damn you Sparda for having a mysterious name!

Tony_Redgrave

TimeLord Detective
tettora;63004 said:
blah....extremely tenuous theory here - as sparda is another name for sardis, maybe the meaning of sardis could be looked at. sardis (according to my access to scholarly journals) means wall/circle, ;prince of joy and has connections with the god Helios so er, what we have is Sparda is a wall against tyranny, brings joy (to threatened humans) and shines a lot like the sun. :/

Damn you Sparda for having a mysterious name!

Hahah, nice try.
But isn't it the fact that he's all shrouded in mystery that makes him all the greatest?:lol:

tettora

Ah, this is true. Maybe if they ever make a game about him we'll all find out more, who knows!
Though I still think spada/sparda could be interchangeable forms, and spada meaning sword is quite relevant.
Anyhow....I guess this can be closed as Monte Cristo confused and tricked me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom