• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Was anyone else disappointed with how the story went for DMC5?

meg5493

Praise the Sun!
Yeah my statement was sarcastic, Capcom want people to buy more things to understand e whole story, more money out of our pocket...

Yeah the book is referenced in dmc 5 but it s partly non Canon since it doesn't fit whit dmc 3... it's like character, situation and places are Canon, but not the whole book...
Something similar happened to the star wars novel, they take character out of novel that are not Canon but make them Canon In TV series

Lol sorry I'm not good with internet sarcasm 50% of the time especially when I'm fired up about something. And I know in long running series' that when you get to a point a lot of stuff is going to be changed/non canon but with the DMC1 novel the central thing about it is Vergil, which is completely ignored in 5. He's the cause for everything in the novel, you take him out and nothing would have happened, he murdered and caused the deaths of tons of people Dante knew and cared about. He is the main villian of the story and making it canon while ignoring his role is just lazy especially since the game leaves it as some mystery instead of taking the easy way out and saying something like it was an agent sent by Mundas'. Yes I know it contradicts DMC3's manga, its also the main reason it became non-canon.

Plus this just feeds into my feelings about how 5's story was a essentially a hackneyed attempt that relies so much on its fanservice that if you didn't like it then your screwed. They didn't care about the long-running lore just the highlights most fans would be able to recognize.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I initially saw it as better late than never but i wished the series incorporated 2 and the light novels sooner.

The light novel would have been good in the anime or even the reboot. I'd push the light novel back and set it between 3 and 1. There's 10 years between those games, lots could've happened then.The only issue remaining is Dante's memory loss. Vergil's action are explained away as him being a Golem like Trish or brainwashed.

2 is trickier because the ideal time would've been in a possible DMC3. Just start the game with Dante in hell and have an older Vergil be an ally or enemy or both. Which isn't that different from how 5 turned out anyway.

But I'm not mad at them putting DMC2 right after the anime because of its less a whiplash in tone. I rather they just stuck with it before changing their minds.

I'm more upset over Dante's time as a mercenary not being utilized. There's alot you could do with that especially for Dante's character.

Last edited:

Goldsickle

Vergil morphing into Couch Potato Satan/Giant Sagat Demon was disappointing, because I never saw Vergil as the kind of character who would embrace that "mutates into giant monster" trope.

If anyone were to talk about how "Vergil will transform into a giant monster with tentacles" back in 2005 or 2008, that person would be forever marked as a troll.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Yeah like I know people like to try and justify how it happened but at the end of the day remaking the DMC1 novel canon in a post DMC3 world doesn't work since they've smooshed the timeline together so concisely that it'd have to conform with so much contradicting lore
How do people try to justify it? First and foremost Dante is a the same age as he was in DMC1 in that novel but he's had his guns since DMC3, which let's say was 10 years prior, since that's the number they insist on gaping everything. In order for it to make sense they would have to make Dante much younger during his time as a mercenary and as Tony, which they didn't. They set the events of the DNC1 novel in the prequel novel as being around 10 years prior, DMC1 time. That means that Dante would've been still be going by Tony and still didn't have E&I 10 years after he met Lady. That's a huge oversight.

I know why they did it, they did it for the fanservice. They did it so they could add every form of DMC media ever created by capcom in some way shape or form to the game and/or the novel. I don't think it worked out as well as the novelty of it all sounds at first. The addition of a Patty scene itself if proof enough. It added nothing to the plot and it never actually went anywhere, just fanservice.

If anyone were to talk about how "Vergil will transform into a giant monster with tentacles" back in 2005 or 2008, that person would be forever marked as a troll.
I think I remember mentioning something to this effect before. I think my argument was that Vergil's full demon side would look like Sparda, not something Go Nagai would've drawn. Why is he a giant covered in eyes? I know they couldn't be obvious that it was Vergil but this was really nonsensical. Not to mention that you are right about that, how if anyone heard the description of Vergil as U in 5 they would've dismissed it as trolling.
-I've come from the future and I bare DMC news.
-Speak, traveler. Tell us more.
-Vergil will split his human half and demon half with Yamato and his demon self is a giant covered in tentacles and eyes.
-Welp, guess we set ourselves up for that one... They really need to start keeping a better eye on the inmates at fanfiction.net. They keep getting out, somehow.

Last edited:

DarkSlayerVergil

I was very dissapointed with DMC5 story and I definitely agree with @meg5493 that it feels like blatant fan service in sacrifice of world building and lore. Like Vergil basically accomplishes his goal from 3 and gains ultimate power while laying waste to a city in the process and at the end it's just swept under the rug. Personally I would preferred Urizen was actually the result of Mundus stealing(think Dark Danny from Danny Phantom) Vergils body as his new vessel since his original was damaged beyond repair after his fight with Dante.

Then realizing that Vergil potential plus his own godly power is incredibly great even stronger than Dante now. Then Mundus realizing Vergil body was dying due to pieces of his soul being lost causing his human body to deteriorate he steals yamato from Nero and use it to cut out Vergil human half giving us V(who before be severed from Vergils soul absorbed a fraction of Mundus power explaining how he's able to use watered down versions of Nightmare, Griffon, and Shadow). Due to marketing pre-release and early story beats fans are led to belive it's Vergil who's causing all of this. When Dante confronts him after gaining his Sin devil trigger(still believing it to be Vergil). After defeating Urizen its then revealed that the demon they've been fighting this whole time was nothing more than a puppet that was being used a distraction so Mundus could have time to fully adjust to this new body.

Mundus with Virgils body as his own reveals what he has done causing Dante to realize that he no choice but destroy Mundus even if it means destroying Virgils body in the process. Mundus now influencing Virgil body causing to take on his features such as now having a third-eye and long white hair (still slicked back) also Yamato is now Devil Sword Mundus accompanied by a new demonic design add on top of a new devil trigger thats a mixture of his "statues" form from 1 and Virgil DT from 5. A long drawn battle between Mundus and Dante ensue with Mundus eventually impaling Dante with yamato and using to separate Dante demon half and destroying it. Proclaiming to that "Your rejection of your heritage demon heritage will be your death".

Effectively making Dante fully human and a lot easier to kill. With Dante supposedly dead it's all up to Nero who at this point is nowhere strong enough to matter and is forced to eat of the fruit which would explain how he obtained his new DT at the cost of his humanity versus that animoo bs we got(Also I would do away with Mundus eating the fruit to become King and just simply have him be that powerful).

I find this to better as Dante, Virgil, and Nero defining characters traits is utilized in some way with Dante preferance of his human being ironic since now he's fully human at the worst moment. Nero gives up his humanity for ultimate power to protects his friemds and loved one but will it be enough. Vergil in his quest for ultimate power cost him his body and soul.

meg5493

Praise the Sun!
I initially saw it as better late than never but i wished the series incorporated 2 and the light novels sooner.

The light novel would have been good in the anime or even the reboot. I'd push the light novel back and set it between 3 and 1. There's 10 years between those games, lots could've happened then.The only issue remaining is Dante's memory loss. Vergil's action are explained away as him being a Golem like Trish or brainwashed.

2 is trickier because the ideal time would've been in a possible DMC3. Just start the game with Dante in hell and have an older Vergil be an ally or enemy or both. Which isn't that different from how 5 turned out anyway.

But I'm not mad at them putting DMC2 right after the anime because of its less a whiplash in tone. I rather they just stuck with it before changing their minds.

I'm more upset over Dante's time as a mercenary not being utilized. There's alot you could do with that especially for Dante's character.
The fact that almost every fan and non fan consider DMC2 trash and inconsequential only makes the switch worse imo. Because it literally makes anything that game alludes to in future titles meaningless. The only comforting thing is that the new anime might use stuff from 2 like Lucia but I wouldn't keep my hopes up.

See for 2, I have this crackpot theory about how DMC2's plot was supposed to be about time travel, but the rushed development and switched directors made it so it never happened. There are instances in the game that mention time, and in the prequel novel it talks about Dante traveling to an alternate world were Vergil was the hero (but died shortly before Dante got there). It would have been a cool to have a sequence with going back in time and meeting that Vergil but now that the series basically shoehorned him into everygame, that appeal kinda loses that impact.

But the real tragedy is the cannibalization of Dante as a character, like he's just an idiot now, sure super powerful but an idiot, and all they have to do is allude to him being "deep" while still having him do goofy fun hijinks 95% of the time.

Vergil morphing into Couch Potato Satan/Giant Sagat Demon was disappointing, because I never saw Vergil as the kind of character who would embrace that "mutates into giant monster" trope.

Hell if you told me Vergil had sex with a human woman for no reason and had a kid after playing 3 I would've laughed and said it was OOC but were here lol

How do people try to justify it? First and foremost Dante is a the same age as he was in DMC1 but he's had his guns since DMC3, which let's say was 10 years prior, since that's the number they insist on gaping everything. In order for it to make sense they would have to make Dante much younger during his time as a mercenary and as Tony, which they didn't. They set the events of the novel in the prequel one as being around 10 years prior, DMC1 time. That's a huge oversight.

I know why they did it, they did it for the fanservice. They did it so they could add every form of DMC media ever created by capcom in some way shape or form to the game and/or the novel. I don't think it worked out as well as the novelty of it all sounds at first. The addition of a Patty scene itself if proof enough. It added nothing to the plot and it never actually went anywhere, just fanservice.
Not very well usually, that the DMC1 novel is still before one ignoring, Nells subplot, or before or after 3 pushing together 3,Novel,1 into like a 3 day span lol. Any justification is usually ignoring Vergils place in the plot and the fact that the novel literally ends with Trish busting into the shop.
I will forever be bitter that DMC2 was spit in the face and got no fanservice. We got 2 1/2 references to DMC2 and you can miss 1 1/2 like, thanks guys for telling me Lucia's in the novel to bad it has no relevance or bearing on the plot in 5 but knowing she's a tsundere now really makes me feel like they did her character justice /s.
I was very dissapointed with DMC5 story and I definitely agree with @meg5493 that it feels like blatant fan service in sacrifice of world building and lore. Like Vergil basically accomplishes his goal from 3 and gains ultimate power while laying waste to a city in the process and at the end it's just swept under the rug. Personally I would preferred Urizen was actually the result of Mundus stealing(think Dark Danny from Danny Phantom) Vergils body as his new vessel since his original was damaged beyond repair after his fight with Dante.

Then realizing that Vergil potential plus his own godly power is incredibly great even stronger than Dante now. Then Mundus realizing Vergil body was dying due to pieces of his soul being lost causing his human body to deteriorate he steals yamato from Nero and use it to cut out Vergil human half giving us V(who before be severed from Vergils soul absorbed a fraction of Mundus power explaining how he's able to use watered down versions of Nightmare, Griffon, and Shadow). Due to marketing pre-release and early story beats fans are led to belive it's Vergil who's causing all of this. When Dante confronts him after gaining his Sin devil trigger(still believing it to be Vergil). After defeating Urizen its then revealed that the demon they've been fighting this whole time was nothing more than a puppet that was being used a distraction so Mundus could have time to fully adjust to this new body.

Mundus with Virgils body as his own reveals what he has done causing Dante to realize that he no choice but destroy Mundus even if it means destroying Virgils body in the process. Mundus now influencing Virgil body causing to take on his features such as now having a third-eye and long white hair (still slicked back) also Yamato is now Devil Sword Mundus accompanied by a new demonic design add on top of a new devil trigger thats a mixture of his "statues" form from 1 and Virgil DT from 5. A long drawn battle between Mundus and Dante ensue with Mundus eventually impaling Dante with yamato and using to separate Dante demon half and destroying it. Proclaiming to that "Your rejection of your heritage demon heritage will be your death".

Effectively making Dante fully human and a lot easier to kill. With Dante supposedly dead it's all up to Nero who at this point is nowhere strong enough to matter and is forced to eat of the fruit which would explain how he obtained his new DT at the cost of his humanity versus that animoo bs we got(Also I would do away with Mundus eating the fruit to become King and just simply have him be that powerful).

I find this to better as Dante, Virgil, and Nero defining characters traits is utilized in some way with Dante preferance of his human being ironic since now he's fully human at the worst moment. Nero gives up his humanity for ultimate power to protects his friemds and loved one but will it be enough. Vergil in his quest for ultimate power cost him his body and soul.
I would've rather had Mundas as V tbh I know there were some early concepts of that floating around, it just sucks that this is the "End of the Sons of Sparda story" :meh: and Mundas is still an unresolved thing that should've been dealt with before this. But I mean they already made him a chod in 5 with the retconning of his powers, and the fact that Dante could probably kick his ass now doesn't help. It would honestly make more sense with V's familars too, like ok his familiars are his past trauma as Vergil but we're just not going to use any of the more iconic monsters like Phantom or Nelo Angelo or even a varient based off of Arkham if were going with trauma. (Yes I know Phantom is answered in the manga and I think the justification for it is stupid but to each there own.) The trauma angle isn't used at all for story about Vergils humanity and being the weaker side, plus hilariously enough its not even as dark as the Danny Phantom version lol.

It just sucks that so much was squandered with 5, like if you're gonna bring back Vergil don't **** the bed by the 3rd act.

Goldsickle

Hell if you told me Vergil had sex with a human woman for no reason and had a kid after playing 3 I would've laughed and said it was OOC but were here lol
Until DMC5 made it clear, there are some who refuse to believe that Nero is Vergil's son, even after the art book confirmed it.
Some dismissed it as "it's just something from an art book and the actual game may say otherwise".

But here we are.

meg5493

Praise the Sun!
Until DMC5 made it clear, there are some who refuse to believe that Nero is Vergil's son, even after the art book confirmed it.
Some dismissed it as "it's just something from an art book and the actual game may say otherwise".

But here we are.
Count me as one of those people lol, I remember when people would bring up the fact that in the novelization of DMC4 Deadly Fortune it was more or less confirmed by the Author who did the writing for the game back around 2010/2012 but since it wasn't in the game it didn't count lol since it wasn't confirmed by Capcom. It's amazing that in the 8+ years that they've had they never came up with a compelling reason or motivation for why Vergil would do that. Atleast when they did that to Wesker in RE6 it was a possibitility since the timeline matched up.

DarkSlayerVergil

Count me as one of those people lol, I remember when people would bring up the fact that in the novelization of DMC4 Deadly Fortune it was more or less confirmed by the Author who did the writing for the game back around 2010/2012 but since it wasn't in the game it didn't count lol since it wasn't confirmed by Capcom. It's amazing that in the 8+ years that they've had they never came up with a compelling reason or motivation for why Vergil would do that. Atleast when they did that to Wesker in RE6 it was a possibitility since the timeline matched up.
The only reason I could think of why Virgil would boink a human female was in some vague way to understand why his father took interest in one. Wesker havinga son was really out of nowhere, it'd make sense more if Jake was a clone of from Wesker himself.

meg5493

Praise the Sun!
The only reason I could think of why Virgil would boink a human female was in some vague way to understand why his father took interest in one. Wesker havinga son was really out of nowhere, it'd make sense more if Jake was a clone of from Wesker himself.
Vergil at the time, pre DMC3 since its the only time it would happen, hated humans by his own admission, and I know I always took that as he was disgusted by his human half while with Wesker, if I remember correctly he boinked a chick back in the late 80s early 90s and it was a way for him to blow of steam, and he didn't care about the woman so he never found out she was pregnant. So while the revelation that he had a child is out of nowhere the circumstances make sense, he was normal once and had relationships with people, while Vergil had no time to even do any of this and trying to actually tack down his age during all this makes it weirder imo.

Vergil95

Might controls everything, and without strength, y
Yeah, but wesker having a son is total bull****, at least vergil is a conflicted character whit motivation and emotion, vergil isn't 100% evil, maybe he find a woman that deeply remembered her mother character and fall in love whit her for a brief moment, even magneto hates human in x men but he did have a family in x men apocalypse, he try to love, vergil is a conflicted character just like magneto, while wesker was a bidimensional super villain,and give him a son was so stupid... Wesker doesn't care about anything while vergil is showed many time in the series to care about something and prove emotion like when he throw himself out of the cliff at the end of dmc 3... Wesker is true evil he like to be evil and kill people, he had a good and wealth life, while vergil like magneto became evil because they suffered in their life they both lost their mother and they didn't have any choice but to take a darker path to survive

They should retcon this and say that wesker experimented whit his DNA on the uterus of a woman that later give birth to jake muller... This would be more like wesker...

I did try to match up the dmc timeline and Nero age, this is the result:

Eva is killed by mundus army - confirmed by Trish to have appended 20 year before dmc 1, dante and vergil are at least 8 year old during this event, since Eva was alive during dante flashback and they were 8 or 9 years old since It was confirmed that vergil and Dante were 18 - 19 years old during dmc 3 and dmc 3 manga confirmed that 10 years passed after Eva death

Dmc 4 special edition vergil prolgue: it is confirmed to take place some 15 years before dmc 4, some 15 years doesn't mean to be exactly 15 years but they could be 16 years or 17 years, so vergil and Dante are 16 or 17 because it is confirmed to take place before the dmc 3 manga who take place 1 year before dmc 3, nero is born 9 month later..

Dmc 3 manga and dmc 3: the dmc 3 manga confirmed that 10 years passed since Eva death, the manga take place 1 years before dmc 3 so vergil and Dante are 18 or 19 years old during dmc 3 and 17 or 16 years old during the manga, nero is 2 or 3 years old by the end of dmc 3

Dmc 1: take place 10 years after dmc 3, since Trish say that 20 year passed since Eva death, dante and vergil are 28 or 29 years old, Nero is 12 or 13 years old

Dmc anime and dmc 2: Patty is 8 years old here and it's confirmed that she is 18 in dmc 5 so the dmc anime take place 5, 10 years before dmc 5, also the dmc 5 novel confirmed that dmc 2 take place 10 years before dmc 5 since matier say that dante didn't return to mallet Island once in this 10 years, the anime and dmc 2 probably take place a year after dmc 1, than dante and vergil are 29 or 30 years old, Nero is 13 or 14 years old

Dmc 4: it take place 5 years after the anime and dmc 2, dante and vergil are 34 or 36 years old, Nero is 18 or 19 years old

Dmc 5 novel, dmc 5 manga and dmc 5: confirmed to take place 5 years after dmc 4, dante and vergil are 39 or 41 years old now, Nero is 23 or 24 years old...

The timeline is a bit confusing but nero birth did match up if you connect all the dots

Last edited by a moderator:

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
@meg5493
What does 2 allude to anyway? Just curious.

I like the idea of DMC2 Dante being Vergil or Nero in disguise. Although Trish shapeshifting into Dante would be funnier.

Your time travel idea is interesting. It be funnier if they did that because Bayonetta is heavily dependent on it. Maybe Kamiya would've done a time travel story if he stuck around?

Dante's flanderization is because new writers came in and didn't know what to do with him. It started with 2 actually and i wished they just used different characters in each game like Persona.

Last edited:

meg5493

Praise the Sun!
Yeah, but wesker having a son is total bullshit, at least vergil is a conflicted character whit motivation and emotion, vergil isn't 100% evil, maybe he find a woman that deeply remembered her mother character and fall in love whit her for a brief moment, even magneto hates human in x men but he did have a family in x men apocalypse, he try to love, vergil is a conflicted character just like magneto, while wesker was a bidimensional super villain,and give him a son was so stupid... Wesker doesn't care about anything while vergil is showed many time in the series to care about something and prove emotion like when he throw himself out of the cliff at the end of dmc 3... Wesker is true evil he like to be evil and kill people, he had a good and wealth life, while vergil like magneto became evil because they suffered in their life they both lost their mother and they didn't have any choice but to take a darker path to survive

They should retcon this and say that wesker experimented whit his DNA on the uterus of a woman that later give birth to jake muller... This would be more like wesker...

I did try to match up the dmc timeline and Nero age, this is the result:

Eva is killed by mundus army - confirmed by Trish to have appended 20 year before dmc 1, dante and vergil are at least 8 year old during this event, since Eva was alive during dante flashback and they were 8 or 9 years old since It was confirmed that vergil and Dante were 18 - 19 years old during dmc 3 and dmc 3 manga confirmed that 10 years passed after Eva death

Dmc 4 special edition vergil prolgue: it is confirmed to take place some 15 years before dmc 4, some 15 years doesn't mean to be exactly 15 years but they could be 16 years or 17 years, so vergil and Dante are 16 or 17 because it is confirmed to take place before the dmc 3 manga who take place 1 year before dmc 3, nero is born 9 month later..

Dmc 3 manga and dmc 3: the dmc 3 manga confirmed that 10 years passed since Eva death, the manga take place 1 years before dmc 3 so vergil and Dante are 18 or 19 years old during dmc 3 and 17 or 16 years old during the manga, nero is 2 or 3 years old by the end of dmc 3

Dmc 1: take place 10 years after dmc 3, since Trish say that 20 year passed since Eva death, dante and vergil are 28 or 29 years old, Nero is 12 or 13 years old

Dmc anime and dmc 2: Patty is 8 years old here and it's confirmed that she is 18 in dmc 5 so the dmc anime take place 5, 10 years before dmc 5, also the dmc 5 novel confirmed that dmc 2 take place 10 years before dmc 5 since matier say that dante didn't return to mallet Island once in this 10 years, the anime and dmc 2 probably take place a year after dmc 1, than dante and vergil are 29 or 30 years old, Nero is 13 or 14 years old

Dmc 4: it take place 5 years after the anime and dmc 2, dante and vergil are 34 or 36 years old, Nero is 18 or 19 years old

Dmc 5 novel, dmc 5 manga and dmc 5: confirmed to take place 5 years after dmc 4, dante and vergil are 39 or 41 years old now, Nero is 23 or 24 years old...

The timeline is a bit confusing but nero birth did match up if you connect all the dots
Wesker being so narcistic that he just has a one night stand and ghosts the chick fits perfectly with STARS era Wesker while 6 is a bit of hot mess action hollywood story, Jakes relationship with Wesker is leagues better then what DMC5 tried to do with Nero and Vergils whatever you call that relationship. But the story for these relationships are different, so on its own merits 5's blundering attempts at forcing you to care about the father/son relationship falls straight to hell.

Like ok at first maybe Vergil did care about Nero's mom (who we never and probably will never get info on what made her so special to make VERGIL of all people fall for her during his "I hate humanity phase", maybe in the V manga but I doubt it) but then at the end of 5 it's treated as a joke between Vergil and Dante not even a sore subject like in 3, he doesn't even know he had a son so I guess he's just stupid or he can't even sense blood relatives or figure out why this kid had the yamato but hey maybe he thought Nero was Dante's kid since even Dante's deduction on who Neros parentage was contradicts 4 lol. V and Nero had a nice back and forth starting to go on but then immeditately V goes back to Vergil and he doesn't give a **** but at that point the story tells you that hey yeah Nero is totally cool with Vergil now that he doesn't want Dante to kill him for some reason because family. And yeah it just makes things weird when Vergil would be 15-17 when he banged Nero's mom and the whole "Power to protect" speech wasn't even for her and he kinda hates humans.

@meg5493
What does 2 allude to anyway? Just curious.

I like the idea of DMC2 Dante being Vergil or Nero in disguise. Although Trish shapeshifting into Dante would be funnier.

Your time travel idea is interesting. It be funnier if they did that because Bayonetta is heavily dependent on it. Maybe Kamiya would've done a time travel story if he stuck around?

Dante's flanderization is because new writers came in and didn't know what to do with him. It started with 2 actually and i wished they just used different characters in each game like Persona.

The biggest is Dante going to the underworld and staying unlike in 1 or subsequent games, and Lucia taking charge of the shop with the mysterious person riding up to the shop. None of them have satisfying payoffs and just cheapens the game when we don't get any acknowledgement outside of a Japan only light novel.

The time travel stuff would be cool, and honestly I have a feeling Kamiya would have made the second game about Eva's legacy like how the 1st was Dante dealing with his fathers legacy. Especially seeing as how Kamiya had Eva as an Umbra witch it would've have been interesting. Though I don't mind Dante in 2 since it's really just a reverse 1, I know the director wanted a cool silent protaganist approuch ala Vampire Hunter D or Black Jack and its fine it's just most enemies don't work off it so it's a lot of quiet and awkward stare downs. Though back in the day I really liked the idea that DMC2 Dante was just Vergil it makes sense lol.

I don't mind the anime approuch or how the DMC games worked until 4 where Dante had a new partner that was always personality wise completely different each game because it would always play off his devil may care additude and then they introduced Nero and I would have been fine moving on, but it's also around 4 were they realized that people don't care about 90% of Dantes character they just like the funny stuff he does and the corny one liners (that used to be serious attempts at cool) with the allusion that the character has more going on under the surface. Thats why a lot of fans like to write off a lot of personality differences when he's not bouncy off the walls as depression to make it seem more deep.

Vergil95

Wesker being so narcistic that he just has a one night stand and ghosts the chick fits perfectly with STARS era Wesker while 6 is a bit of hot mess action hollywood story, Jakes relationship with Wesker is leagues better then what DMC5 tried to do with Nero and Vergils whatever you call that relationship. But the story for these relationships are different, so on its own merits 5's blundering attempts at forcing you to care about the father/son relationship falls straight to hell.

Like ok at first maybe Vergil did care about Nero's mom (who we never and probably will never get info on what made her so special to make VERGIL of all people fall for her during his "I hate humanity phase", maybe in the V manga but I doubt it) but then at the end of 5 it's treated as a joke between Vergil and Dante not even a sore subject like in 3, he doesn't even know he had a son so I guess he's just stupid or he can't even sense blood relatives or figure out why this kid had the yamato but hey maybe he thought Nero was Dante's kid since even Dante's deduction on who Neros parentage was contradicts 4 lol. V and Nero had a nice back and forth starting to go on but then immeditately V goes back to Vergil and he doesn't give a **** but at that point the story tells you that hey yeah Nero is totally cool with Vergil now that he doesn't want Dante to kill him for some reason because family. And yeah it just makes things weird when Vergil would be 15-17 when he banged Nero's mom and the whole "Power to protect" speech wasn't even for her and he kinda hates humans.
I m a big resident evil fan and a big wesker fan and personally I think wesker having a son is a bull****, but I like Jake as a character, just different opinion of course...

Why we shouldn't get info on Nero's mother? You are talking as the series is ended but it's just started they will probably make new dmc game, and Nero is now one of the main protagonist, dmc 5 is not the end of the series, I'm glad they didn't reveal everything in this game so they can cover Nero's mom and other thing left open in future game, also we cannot say that vergil didn't care about Nero s mother...

If back in 1977 you would have say to some people who had watched star wars a new hope that Darth Vader had a son and did fall to the darkside because of love they would have probably laughed in you face or disliked this idea... Than in 1983 they released return of the Jedi and everyone finds out that Vader had two twin, but the twin mother is mentioned only one and Vader look like to not giving a **** about, but here we are 40 years later and we now know that Vader once know as anakin skywalker did love Luke and leia mother s padme and endeed fall to the darkside to try and protect her, but back in 1983 probably everyone were thinking that anakin past and Luke mother would have never been explored but they were wrong...

Just like star wars, in dmc there are many things that will probably be explained in future game, don't just things that everything end s whit 5 or that nothing will ever be revealed or explored, because dmc 5 is just a chapter in the dmc series

Last edited by a moderator:

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
@meg5493
Who knows? Maybe Kamiya might get to come back and do it.

I get what you're saying about Dante, I just don't think it ever worked till 5.

The comedy bits are more rememberable because the more sincere parts of the story feel too cliche to keep your interest.

The anime is the worst contender with Dante's portrayal being the biggest drawback versus the other entries. The only episodes that worked where the ones were Dante was in the background and other characters were the focus.

Him suffering depression due to the events of 1 would have been better than what we got in either 2 or the anime.

4's problems are Nero and whether or not you think his story is compelling (it's not).

Last edited:

DarkSlayerVergil

Vergil at the time, pre DMC3 since its the only time it would happen, hated humans by his own admission, and I know I always took that as he was disgusted by his human half while with Wesker, if I remember correctly he boinked a chick back in the late 80s early 90s and it was a way for him to blow of steam, and he didn't care about the woman so he never found out she was pregnant. So while the revelation that he had a child is out of nowhere the circumstances make sense, he was normal once and had relationships with people, while Vergil had no time to even do any of this and trying to actually tack down his age during all this makes it weirder imo.
When has Vergil ever stated he hated humans? I thought he simply despised them for being weak. I definitely prefer Jake was a clone tbh.

I m a big resident evil fan and a big wesker fan and personally I think wesker having a son is a bull****, but I like Jake as a character, just different opinion of course...

Why we shouldn't get info on Nero's mother? You are talking as the series is ended but it's just started they will probably make new dmc game, and Nero is now one of the main protagonist, dmc 5 is not the end of the series, I'm glad they didn't reveal everything in this game so they can cover Nero's mom and other thing left open in future game, also we cannot say that vergil didn't care about Nero s mother...

If back in 1977 you would have say to some people who had watched star wars a new hope that Darth Vader had a son and did fall to the darkside because of love they would have probably laughed in you face or disliked this idea... Than in 1983 they released return of the Jedi and everyone finds out that Vader had two twin, but the twin mother is mentioned only one and Vader look like to not giving a **** about, but here we are 40 years later and we now know that Vader once know as anakin skywalker did love Luke and leia mother s padme and endeed fall to the darkside to try and protect her, but back in 1983 probably everyone were thinking that anakin past and Luke mother would have never been explored but they were wrong...

Just like star wars, in dmc there are many things that will probably be explained in future game, don't just things that everything end s whit 5 or that nothing will ever be revealed or explored, because dmc 5 is just a chapter in the dmc series
HonestlyI really hate the idea of Virgil being made out as some conflicted character when most of the thing hes done is mainly due to him being too stubborn think about his action.

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
Regardless of how the story progresses from hereon, they really need to ditch the Mission System. It greatly holds back the storytelling potential and you could really feel it with 5 as so many cutscenes are just fluff that serve no purpose other than to connect one level to the next.

Vergil95

When has Vergil ever stated he hated humans? I thought he simply despised them for being weak. I definitely prefer Jake was a clone tbh.

HonestlyI really hate the idea of Virgil being made out as some conflicted character when most of the thing hes done is mainly due to him being too stubborn think about his action.
I always remember vergil being a conflicted character since the event of dmc 3, you can clearly see that he is not truly evil, he is like magneto or Darth Vader you can clearly see that he had his motivation and that he had a pass, unlike wesker who only want to be evil because he like it to be...

@berto what does keep it PG mean?

Goldsickle

There are some cases of "if it's not in the game, it's not confirmed" sometimes.

Like when Hideki Kamiya explained in an official Resident Evil 2 data book about why Leon was late for work.
Kamiya explained that Leon got drunk after breaking up with his girlfriend and overslept in a motel.
It's the official explanation by the director himself and even in the data book but because it's not in the game, it's still not "confirmed".
In the remake, it's changed to Leon being warned not to enter Raccoon City and he ignored the warning.

Yasuhisa Kawamura had a lot of back-story written about US Umbrella VS Europe Umbrella in an unofficial interview.
However, seeing how he no longer works at Capcom, he also gave a disclaimer to disregard all his back-story if Capcom alters it.

So a back-story that isn't actually told in the game is kinda like Schrodinger's Cat.
The game could confirm or deny it.
Until then, both possibilities somewhat exist.

Top Bottom