• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What are you currently playing?

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
God of War Ragnarok. Atreus is playable and he is a blast to control. It's like he got a shonen anime/young adult novel spinoff within Ragnarok. I'm hoping he gets a full game in the future. Sorry Marvel he's my new favorite Loki.

He's Nero and Sora done right.

Kratos is more or less the same but he's a supporting protagonist to Atreus. This game is about learning how to trust each other separately so it fits.

I'm hoping the next God of war game is set in Egypt.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups!
He's Nero and Sora done right.
I prefer Atreus and Nero over Sora any day. But you already know my positive feelings on Nero at this point. I beat Ragnarok last night. Let me know when you make it end game.

Gungrave Gore - This game has everything I wanted in a Gungrave sequel. Upgradeable moves and stats, more shooting options, gap closers, execution moves, and human shields. This game is a straight up arcade shooter! No exploration, but shoot and shoot some more! Any expecting otherwise is an idiot and did not pay attention to the marketing, nor know what the series is all about.

I know game had some apparent glitches and balancing issues before release , but a patch 6GB already came out before I got the game, and so far everything works fine at Normal difficulty. I always play on Normal anyway, but I know some of the reviewers started on Hard mode (You can switch difficulties anytime at the menu). You all have certain points, but that's all on you. I've done the first three stages so far. Why did the third stage have to be a sewer level? Loving the game, and I will put more of my thoughts as I get further.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
@BrawlMan
2018 Atreus is a better kid sidekick than Patty and Norse Saga Kratos is a better handled character than Dante has been in years.

Trust me Nero's not the only character I got problems with. ;)

I'll probably be finished with Ragnarok next month so it'll be a while.

Dr. Cheesesteak

Finished Pentiment earlier this week. Since then, I've basically been focusing on Sonic Frontiers, Plague Tale: Requiem, and Bravely Default (yes, the original 3DS one).

All 3 games are great. Sonic Frontiers is...good and fun. A bit too much "stuff" to bookkeep for a while until things start making more and more sense (different currencies, power-ups, etc). Plague Tale 2 is more of the same w/ the first one, w/ some minor gameplay tweaks. But that's alright by me! Bravely Default is REALLY scratching that JRPG itch I've had for a while. It's taken some time to get used to all the different sub-systems but I like it overall.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups!
I finished Scumland Outer Sanctum, Scumland Inner Sanctum, and all of the Hong Kong stages in GG GORE. By far, most of the Hong Kong stages are the best. I didn't care for Part 1 of HK Back Alleys. Fighting around a whole bunch of shipping containers ain't the most fun and makes me wonder why anyone still uses this video game cliche. Thankfully, it does not last long. What I like about the HK levels are they show what's best about this game and franchise. The wide-open spaces and neon lights and signs are all prepped for destruction and mayhem.

The end boss of HK is the psychopathic sword guy. One of the four top leading the Raven Clan. Before you fight him, you fight a kung-fu who looks liked he walked straight out of Tekken, and he is awesome. Sword Guy's first form ain't that hard, but the second phase will throw you into a surprise and killed me once. Once you get the pattern, he's not too bad. Anyone who plays this game, I recommend you upgrade Grave's Bullet Lv. a couple of times, so enemies can die faster. Helps on taking down boss's health meter quickly too. I played as Bunji after that and has sick mechanics different from grave. Too bad he is only playable for the one level. I do find it weird the camera zooms in so close to Bunji when moving with him, and only zooms out when in Burst Mode or activating a Demolition Shot. The same applies to Rose Quartz whenever you get to play as her for one level.

I will give credit to GORE having the most location variety. Grave is globetrotting all over Southeast Asia. I will play more tomorrow after work is done.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups!
Gungrave GORE - I know I am still going through this game, but I figured opening up about it. I do like the game, it has some QOL improvements much needed for the franchise. Such as upgrades, unlockable melee combos, and multiple Demolition Shots. Grave gets gap closers and can execute enemies. Or he can take grabbed enemies and use them as a human shield. He gets a Devil Trigger, but it does not heal him. The other positives I will give this game are the high-rendered cut-scenes, its soundtrack and having locale variety. Which was something lacking in Overdose with its stages going on forever, and not exactly telling you how to trigger the next stage events. The boss fights are fun too and provide some challenge. They're nothing special, but they work with what you're given, and most are fought in large spaces for you to flex your skills.

This game is not going to appeal to everyone, unless you're already a fan of the series, or don't mind old school arcade shooters. This game does have a rough start. The first few levels are fine, but it's when you get to the subway train level and a few levels afterward, that there are some weird difficulty spikes. For the first time in the series, there are pitfalls that can insta-kill you. Riding on top of the subway train, you can fall off and die if not careful, get knocked off via signs or shots/explosions, and can get insta-killed if not reaching a certain segment in time. The game spawns too many enemies in this particular segment, so it's best to bum rush through them and hope for the best. What does not help matters is Grave is still a walking corpse with a casket on his back. Grave moves about as fast as you think he would (his side dodge rolls are still fast though). That type of character should not be dealing with jumping mechanics of any kind, nor be put in scenarios with death pits. Also, anyone expecting this game to be like Vanquish do not play enough video games and need to be pay more attention.

Then there's a few levels afterwards where you're moving on a slow crane carrying a freight container. It's too ****ing slow, the levels spawn too many enemies, and you either die from too much damage, or get knocked off. Starting all the way from that beginning section until you reach that checkpoint. I had to bump it down to Easy to get past it, then bump back to Normal for my current playthrough. After those rough sections, then the game tones it down with the dumb gimmicky sections and lets you get back to proper shooting.

I seriously don't know what Iggymob was thinking when designing some of these early levels. No one likes platforming for a character that can barely jump, let alone wants to be on the slowest and most tedious rail section. Who the **** thought that this was a good idea? While the levels are not overly long, they spawn in a ton of enemies. I'm grateful, but they could have toned it down in a few sections. The game almost becomes a 3rd person Serious Sam. Luckily, the game does have enemy variety, but not to the crazy amount that Serious Sam offers with its shooting.

This franchise was never about innovation (other than the first game with its graphics and stylization), and just wants to be a fun ass shooter series. Gungrave and GG GORE achieve that, but the original is still the best. Overdose is not good and wasted potential, and the VR game no one asked for. As I said before, I like the game, but I do find it hard to recommend in some cases. The game is $50, but I got the game half off by trading in some games. The game is on Gamepass, if you don't want to risk the money. See how you like it. If it sticks or you can get used to the game's weird difficulty spikes, you'll find yourself a fun shooter. I enjoyed GG GORE more than most of the other AAA shooters out there, because the game is at least so damn honest about what it is. No ****ty DLC, no microtransactions (other than pre-order bonus costume), and no lying in the advertisement.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups!
UUGGGHHH.... I hit a roadblock. What is with people thinking forced platforming in a 3rd person shooter is a good idea? In stage 19, you play Rose Quartz; I am not liking it! Her brawling controls are awkward, the platforming doesn't work and has horrible collision, and the checkpoints suck! I might trade this game in for Evil West or something, because I don't have the patience for **** like this anymore! I really hate to say that, but I might be done with Gungrave GORE! Why did anybody think this was a good idea?!

Top Bottom