• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What are you reading?

Shadow

the horror was for love
Premium
Sorry this will be long; forgot to update here recently.

Recently read:
- Lock & Mori (and it's sequel Mind Games) by Heather Petty. I still have the last book in the series, Final Fall, to read but I'm kinda putting it off. It's basically a YA version of Holmes with a genderbent Moriarty. Also they're dating and Holmes is adorable--the best boy, I'm love him so much. My big problem with it is that Mori is the main character, and it's told in first person, and I just...never connected with her. Ever. She's never felt like a Moriarty and it's difficult to suspend disbelief enough to think she'll eventually become a criminal mastermind when she's the most impulsive character in the series. Overall, it's not bad--Sherlock and Mycroft are especially good--but I'm kinda eh about finishing the series.

- The Lost Special by Arthur Conan Doyle. Train goes poof, newspaper details how they found out who vanished it...eight years later. It was nice but really hard to find.

- Years Ago and in a Different Place by Michael Kurland. -lays down, tries not to be sad, is still sad- I read this one a long time ago but decided to reread it recently and this line still gives me so many thoughts and feels:

“I didn’t know what you knew,” he said. “I was a fool. But you—what were you?”

I had no answer for him. Perhaps I should have guessed what Lucy intended. Perhaps I did guess. Perhaps, on some unconscious level I weighed the options of her ending her own life, or of her facing an English jury, and then being taken out one cold morning, and having the hood tied around her head and the heavy hemp rope around her neck, and hearing a pusillanimous parson murmuring homilies at her until they sprang the trap.

Started:
- The Art in the Blood by Bonnie Macbird. I don't know if I'll finish this. The writing style is really nice and it is Holmesian and I'm curious about the case, but it's massively out of character and I'm angry that she went from writing the original Tron to this. Maybe on a day where I'm bored and have literally nothing else to read. :cautious:

- London and the Culture of Homosexuality, 1885 - 1914 by Matt Cook. Research. Like an over-worked cake, it's short and dense, but I'm hoping it'll have some useful info in it and that it won't be too difficult of a read.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters

"The Beast of Beacon" by Couer Al'Aran. It's an AU fanfic for RWBY where Adam comes to Beacon in order to spite Blake and prove her wrong. It's a deconstruction of a redemption arc, showcasing what he would have to do to get their trust and the consequences.

Titan Comics "Doctor Who: The Eight Doctor" is a fun set of stories that work as an introduction to the 8th doctor. It is written by George Mann and the interior art is by Emma Viecelli.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
"Ghosts of the Future" is a Sonic the Hedgehog fancomic. It is written and drawn by Evan Stanley and co-written by Tom Campbell. It is co-drawn by Reggie Graham and posted on deviantart.com. It centers on Silver going on adventures with Sonic and Shadow while juggling a semi-normal life. It's pretty fun and it would be a good template for a Silver spinoff ;). Evan Stanley actually got hired by Archie to work on the actual Sonic comics so thats a plus.

therogis

ʙʟᴏᴏᴅ ғᴏʀ ғʀᴇᴇᴅᴏᴍ
220px-YouthCoetzee.jpg

Finnish translation of it.

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
Spiritual Theology by Simon Chan

Cure for the common life by Max Lucado

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
"Reckless" is written by Ed Brubaker and the interior art is done by Sean Phillips. This standalone graphic novel is a detective story set in the 1980s. It focuses on Ethan Reckless, a local surfer who moonlights as a unlicensed PI. It's a decent adventure let down by the twist in the end. Either way I like it and hope the next two stories deliver.

"Agent of SWORD" is written by Al Ewing and the art is done by Valerio Schiotti. Issue 1 is titled "Mysterium" and focuses on Magneto inspecting the new space station SWORD. SWORD was Marvel's premiere space defense program before it was shut down. The mutant country Krakoa decided to restart it because the X-men have a lot of dealings with aliens. It's a fun introduction to the cast and setting and I'm looking forward to where they go next.

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
Things I've read since my last post here:

-End of Watch by Stephen King (good)
-Beneath the Twin Suns: An Anthology (good)
-The Prince and the Pauper (sadly bored me to tears)
-How the King of Elfhame Learned to Hate Stories (loved it)
-Night of the Dragon by Julie Kagawa (loved it)

And currently:

38398152.jpg

(Good so far. Sequel to Forest of A Thousand Lanterns, which is essentially an Evil Queen origin story set in a fictional China--Feng Lu).

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
Finally starting on Fable: Blood of Heroes, which @Shadow gave me a couple of Christmases ago. ^^; I don't recall if it's this one or Edge of the World you didn't like, but I'm curious to see if I form the same opinion. ^^

Last edited:

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
"The Woman In Black" by Susan Hill.

I was surprised to find that this novel was written only in '83. With the tagline of "the classic English ghost story" and the deliberate attempt at invoking a period piece even in the narration, I assumed it was much older than that. Anyways, I've been watching so many horror films recently that I had forgotten how understated a classic ghost story was - the titular Woman does so very little for the majority of the plot...yet the true terror lies in the slow build-up of the atmosphere of dread and the protagonist's gradual realisation that she has merely been toying with him the whole time as he played the role of the "hero" and that no matter how long he struggles, eventually she will strike as the dead have all the time in the world. That ending though, whew even though I saw it coming it was still unpleasant to read through.

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
No Way Out by Kate Elysia.

(I'm gonna need a whole lotta fantasy after this one).

Edit: Finished, and despite all the horrors between its pages, I'm satisfied (as the author seems to have healed from her ordeal. Well, as much as anyone can following such events).

Now I'm reading:
84877.jpg

Last edited:

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
"Hereward: The Definitive Biography of the Famous English Outlaw who Rebelled Against William the Conqueror" by Peter Rex.

Not the sexiest title perhaps, but still a good read nonetheless. Well, if hard data interests you anyways - I imagine an entire chapter that's dedicated to property rights and land value in the 11th Century for example might not be to everyone's tastes. Even when we do get to the "famous outlaw" himself, it's more about debunking folklore about him rather than telling a compelling narrative about his life.

One thing that really struck me was how Rex completely broke down the nonsensical term that is what we call "Anglo-Saxon" nowadays. I often forget that concept is merely a false narrative created by the collective consensus of cognitive misers.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
"Milestone returns"- a oneshot comic serving as an anthology for Milestone Comics. They were an independent comic book company known for publishing Static Shock among others.

"Rorshach" is written by Tom King and the art is by Jorge Fornes. In 2020, a Rorshach impersonater failed to assassinate a rightwing presidential candidate. We follow the detective tasked with figuring out what lead Will Myerson to dawn the rorschach mask in the first place.

If you are sensitive to political commentary in your comics, the first two are not for you.

"Radiant Black" is written by Kyle Higgens and the art is by Marcelo Costa. A struggling writer is forced to move back with his parents and stumbles onto an artifact called "RADIANT" which allows him to manipulate gravity.

"Two Moons" is written by John Arcudi and the art is by Valerio Giangiordano. We follow Private Virgil Morris a native american man fighting for the Union Army during the Civil War. He is forced to confront a supernatural crisis tied to his people that threathens to engulf America.

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
Just finished The Hidden Path, an expose of sorts on Bethel church in Redding California. Nothing I didn't already know, but interesting nonetheless.

Got two Norman Geisler books to wade through (big book of bible difficulties and one about apologetics) plus one by Holly Pivec and R. Douglas Geivett about the NAR (new apostolic reformation) movement.

Plus reading The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster to my youngest son.

Top Bottom