• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What are you reading?

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
Re-reading Carry On by Rainbow Rowell (so I can read the sequel, Wayward Son). And funny enough, I'm enjoying it more this time than I did the first time.

Edit: Now I'm on Wayward Son.
44509991.jpg

Last edited:

V's patron

be loyal to what matters

It's the best take on the "Harry becomes a Slytherin" trope in Harry Potter fandom.

Just buy this fic and adapt it. It's a great take on what an Albus Potter series could be. Not Cursed Child compliant.

Last edited:

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
Recently finished reading Simon vs. The Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli.

I was nervous about reading it, since it's been over-hyped and I'm typically not big on stories that take place in school settings, but I liked it.

Now I'm on Not Quite Out by Louise Willingham.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
"Destiny Unfulfilled" by Jim Adan is a good critique of Harry Potter. It's worth a read especially if you want to be a writer yourself.

It's a 157 pages long. Some of it could apply to other franchises ;).

"Teen Titans Academy" issue 1 is written by Tim Sheridan and the art is by Rafa Sandavol. It's basically the first day of school at the newly opened Roy Harper Titans Academy. The Titans of old adjust to being teachers while the students figure out their new lives. Also one of them is gonna become Red X and I think I know who it is. XD.

It's a decent first issue and your mileage may vary on your interest in Teen Titans.

therogis

ʙʟᴏᴏᴅ ғᴏʀ ғʀᴇᴇᴅᴏᴍ
I just had the time and space on my to-read-list to begin with Mitchell's Black Swan Green and I think I'm in love.

14316._UY450_SS450_.jpg

I'm also wondering if I should get back to Novik's Temeraire series. I loved the first two books, the rest of them are available in the community library, but only in English. Only the first two are translated into my language. I don't like reading prose in English, it affects my own writing in a negative way. :rolleyes:

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
Currently reading:

52189857._SX318_SY475_.jpg

I thought I'd have a hard time getting into it since it's been awhile since I read the first two, but it took no time for me to be refamiliarized with the characters and plot. She's definitely really good at threading those reminders in without being overwhelming or redundant.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
"Reckless: Friend of the Devil" is written by Ed Brubaker and the art is by Sean Phillips. Its another Ethan Reckless adventure as he tracks down a missing actress and gets involved in a satanic cult in the mid-80s. Pretty slick read with a dense but easy to follow plot.

"Way of X" is written by Si Spurrier and the art is drawn by Bob Quinn. Nightcrawler is concerned with morality in Krakoa, the newly created country of mutants. So when Proffessor X asks him to reach out to his wayward son Legion, he starts on a journey he might not like the end of. Its a fun but dense first issue and I'm excited to see where it goes.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Thus Spoke Zarathustra.

I tried to start reading A Critique of Practical Reason and I was doing fine at first, but the further I got the more lost I got. Maybe I should start with Introduction to Logic or Groundworks for the Metaphysics of Morals.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
"Scene of the Crime" was published by DC's Vertigo imprint. It is written by Ed Brubaker and the art is Michael Lark.

It follows Jack Herriman, a 20-something Private Investigator living with his Uncle Knut and his girlfriend Molly. His uncle was a famous crime scene photographer but retired. He opened up a camera shop with his longterm girlfriend Molly titled the Scene of the Crime. ;).

This was a miniseries released over 20 years ago but it holds up pretty well.

There are two stories collected.

The first was "Into the moonlight". It focuses on Jack finding a missing woman who turns up dead the morning after he found her. She has ties to a mysterious self help group/cult called the LunarHouse.

"God and Sinners" is a short story where Jack has to stakeout an ex-con over Christmas.

It felt like a YA/Film Noir mashup to me. Jack is in his 20s and the series doesn't ignore it.

Also the series works as a look at how to do a character driven genre show. The cases are seperate from Jack's life but they do parallel each other.

Which is something DMC could've benefit from....just saying

Last edited:

Ryuuou

The King Of Chinese Dragons
Premium
Supporter 2014
English parliaments and previous ministers and civil wars. Wikipedia goes a long way.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
"Journey to Mystery" by Kieron Gillen- Loki gets Reborn as a human child on Earth. Thor finds him and endeavors to raise Loki better than before. Kid Loki gets into all kinds of Mischief along the way and it's pretty fun.

This comic came out over 10 years ago. It's a time capsule, preserving some of the storytelling decisions Marvel made.

The first two volumes focuses on the Fear Itself event. Where the Red Skull's Daughter "Sin" released the Asgardian God of Fear. Who happened to be Odin's brother Cul.

Kid Loki endeavors to help Thor fight Cul and the second volume deals with the fallout of his actions.

Volstagg retelling Fear Itself as a bedtime story is hilarious and a good character beat.

Despite being a dark series, it has a ton of whimsy and self aware comedy to it. It balanced itself out.

Volume 3 has a teamup between Kid Loki and Hellstorm as they battle Nightmare. Nightmare isn't happy Cul tried to muscle in on his terf. He seeks to take advantage of Cul's defeat by Thor and show everyone whose boss.

Volume 4 is called the Manchester Gods. It deals with a civil war between English folklore and New gods brought on industrialization. Asgard sent Kid loki to be in the middle and engineer the conflict in their favor. Only problem is Kid Loki is unsure who he should support.

It's a fun read that feels like a combination of Artemis Fowl and the Sandman.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
"I LOVE THE BONES OF YOU" By Christopher Eccleston

"Later" by Stephen King

"MY NAME IS WHY" by Lemn Sissay

"IF IT BLEEDS" by Steven King

Last edited:

therogis

ʙʟᴏᴏᴅ ғᴏʀ ғʀᴇᴇᴅᴏᴍ
This: https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2021/10/new-puritans-mob-justice-canceled/619818/

"-- we have procedures designed to prevent the meting-out of unfair punishment. Scarlet letters are a thing of the past.

Except, of course, they aren’t. Right here in America, right now, it is possible to meet people who have lost everything—jobs, money, friends, colleagues—after violating no laws, and sometimes no workplace rules either. Instead, they have broken (or are accused of having broken) social codes having to do with race, sex, personal behavior, or even acceptable humor, which may not have existed five years ago or maybe five months ago. Some have made egregious errors of judgment. Some have done nothing at all. It is not always easy to tell."

Recommendation for @Morgan - I assume you'd enjoy this as much as I do!

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
Been awhile since I posted here. O_O Won't post them all since my last update, but recent reads are:

-We Set the Dark on Fire and We Unleash the Merciless Storm by Tehlor Kay Meija
-The Teeth in the Tide by Rebecca F. Kenney
-Witch Gold by Justine Rosenberg

And currently...

33158561.jpg

therogis

ʙʟᴏᴏᴅ ғᴏʀ ғʀᴇᴇᴅᴏᴍ
The House in the Cerulean Sea by TJ Klune, as an audiobook, though. Somehow, and in a good way, I find the protagonist working in child custody services very interesting, being a custody child myself... without any supernatural skills, that is :LOL:

Top Bottom