• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What are you reading?

therogis

ʙʟᴏᴏᴅ ғᴏʀ ғʀᴇᴇᴅᴏᴍ
The House in the Cerulean Sea by TJ Klune, as an audiobook, though. Somehow, and in a good way, I find the protagonist working in child custody services very interesting, being a custody child myself... without any supernatural skills, that is :LOL:
Just noticed where I most likely got the tip ;)
Just finished this, and I absolutely LOVED it.

56782171._SY475_.jpg

And now I'm on:

53481719.jpg
Thanks Rebel! :D

Soon beginning with The Thursday Murder Club by Richard Osman. I'm not into detective stories OR comedy, or so I thought until I started writing a comedy vampire short story and thinking if my bladerunnerish dystopian short story could make a fine base for a cyberpunk nordic noir -style mystery novel...

I am not into vampires either.

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. It's been on my shelf for ages (I've been afraid to touch it because whenever anything is super popular, I'm afraid of not loving it like everyone else) and I'm so, so glad I finally picked it up. Such an amazing book, especially given the subject matter.

Meg

Just finished Dragonbone Chair by Tad Williams. Now I’m reading Heretics of Dune by Frank Herbert.

therogis

ʙʟᴏᴏᴅ ғᴏʀ ғʀᴇᴇᴅᴏᴍ
I've challenged myself with the mission of reading the whole Bible, for the sake of common knowledge as well. I started from the New Testament so I wouldn't get too overwhelmed by all the genealogies in the Old Testament, and I'm currently on the Second Epistle to the Corinthians.

Quite a lot of work ahead.

therogis

ʙʟᴏᴏᴅ ғᴏʀ ғʀᴇᴇᴅᴏᴍ
The History of Bees by Maja Lunde. It has a bit problems with the holding-the-readers-hand-because-the-reader-is-stupid -dilemma (the same issue I've been bashing with e.g Jessica Townsend earlier) and it annoys me, but I'm giving it a try.

And no, I'm not through with the Bible. It's something that I read very differently compared to prose anyway. Still going on the Pauline Epistles :p They're great though!

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I started the "Beastars" manga on the Comixology app. I fell in love with the dubbed anime on Netflix. I wanted to know what happened next so I skipped to volume 11.

"Memoria" is published digitally by Comixology. It is written by Curt Pires and drawn by Sunando C. A terminally ill detective and and a young burnout are forced to solve a controversial case. One that leads to a serial killer hiding in plain sight. It's aping True Detective but its a lot darker.

"The Scarlet Witch" by James Robinson is a great take on Wanda. She becomes an supernatural Investigator and carves out her own little corner of the Marvel Universe. It's an episodic series that travels the world. It also has an overarching mystery about the previous Scarlet Witch and tackles why Wanda took the name in the first place. They should adapt this as the sequel to WandaVision.

Last edited:

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
Currently reading:

43558747.jpg

(Sequel to Girls of Paper and Fire).

It's really good, chock full of Chinese lore (in a fictional world), political intrigue, strong, varied heroines and side characters, excellent worldbuilding, and high stakes. I'll be reading the final book once I'm done.

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
I was going to say I re-read The Lord of the Rings, but then I realised I simply didn't have the time to read books anymore so I compromised and bought the BBC Radio Dramatization now sold as an Audiobook. It was a little confusing at first to hear Ian Holm as Frodo when I'm so used to him being Bilbo Baggins in the film trilogy. But it was really good and I would recommend it to those who enjoy a good audiobook.

Morgan

Premium
Xen-Ace 2021
Kirk Drift - a fandom-centric essay pointing out a phenomenon of what's essentially delusion and total falsity when it comes to mass understanding of pop media, to the point of making up entire scenes and dialogues that never happened as well as misreading the purpose of (or ignoring the cultural context behind) scenes that do exist in order to support a character interpretation that didn't actually exist except in the viewer's mind. There's some suspicion there that the misreading has ideological motivations behind it.

The essay centers itself around Star Trek and Captain Kirk, but it's also pretty useful to consider when dealing with other fandom b.s. like "Batman doesn't kill" and "Luke is a badass Jedi".

therogis

ʙʟᴏᴏᴅ ғᴏʀ ғʀᴇᴇᴅᴏᴍ
Didn't finish History of Bees because life is too short for poor literature, but I finished Dune, and now reading Muad'Dib.

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
292901.jpg

It was a pretty good read. Some of the interviews felt repetitive/a bit boring, but others were interesting and relatable. Except Judy Freespirit's interview--I don't care how much work she did back in the day; it involved her throwing others like her under the bus because she was too much a coward/self-loathing bitch to own who and what she was. >.>

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
"Arkham City: The Order of The World" is written by Dan Watters and illustrated by Dani. It's a 6 issue miniseries focusing on Doctor Jacosta Joy, a psychiatrist from Arkham Asylum. She works with the cops in order to find escaped asylum patients and uncover the mystery of the Ghost of Jeremiah Arkham. Its a great read with horror vibes. You will never look at 10-eyed man the same way ever again. Warner Bros should adapt it. ;)

"Second Son" and "I am Batman" is written by John Ridley and illustrated by various artists. It centers around Jace Fox the estranged son of Lucius Fox who left Gotham for mysterious reasons. He returns and co-opts the Batman myth for his own purposes. Its a good family drama but its pacing tends to drag.

"Doctor Who: Empire of the Wolf" is written by Jody Houser and illustrated by Roberta Ingranata. It's a multi doctor story between the 11th and 8th Doctors. They meet two different versions of Rose Tyler and one version became the Empress of a long running alien empire. Its fun fanservice.

"Shang-Chi versus the Marvel Universe" is written by Gene Luan Yang and illustrated by Dike Ruan. Shang-chi tries to reform his father's criminal entreprise while trying to maintain his standing with the Avengers. It's fun take on a superhero matchup comics and a good introduction to Shang-chi just in time for his movie ;).

"WYRD" is written by Curt Pires and illustrated by Antonio Fuso. It's a 4 issue miniseries centering around a mysterious alcoholic with superpowers. He works for the government on odd cases with a larger narrative in the background. It's fun but confusing at times.

"Batman: The Knight" is written by Chip Zdarsky and illustrated by Carmine Di Giandomenico. Its a 10 issue miniseries about Bruce Wayne's journey to become "black and white daredevil". ;)

"Silk(2022)" is written by Emily Kim and illustrated by Takeshi Miyazawa. Silk gets involved with a mysterious Korean artifact that steals peoples youth.

"Cloaked" is written by Mike Richardson and illustrated by Jordi Armengol. A PI is hired to find out who the Sentinel is and why he dissapeared years ago. Its a neo-noir superhero mashup like Watchmen.

"Moon Knight(2021)" is written by Jed MacKay and illustrated by Federico Sabbatini. Moon Knight rejects the Egyptian God Khonshu and strikes out on his own, creating his own mission to help the troubled souls of NYC. Its a great take on the character and a good use of where he's been to push him forward. This guy should write DMC. ;)

"Angel (2022)" is written by Christopher Cantwell and illustrated by Daniel Bayliss. Angel stumbles onto an alternate universe where he's a TV star. It's alright.

"We only find them when they're dead" is written by Al Ewing and illustrated by Simone Di Meo. It's 200+ years in the future and humanity sends space crews to harvest the bodies of mysterious dead beings in space. Captain Malik has to face a figure from hia past and the discovery of one of these beings being alive. It's interesting sci-fi but could be a bit sterile.

"Daredevil (2011-2015)" is written by Mark Waid and illustrated by Chris Samnee. It's a great take on Daredevil that harkens back to his swashbuckler roots and deals with Daredevil managing his depression/trauma with a fake it till you make it attitude. Just adapt it Fiege.

"Neverwhere" was originally written by Neil Gaiman but was adapted to comics by Mike Carey and Glenn Farry. It's a fun read but it looses some objectivity being a graphic novel.

"The Furies" is written by Mike Carey and illustrated by John Bolton. It focuses on Hippolyta Trevor, a woman grieving the lost of her child and trying to keep her sanity together. She gets wrapped in a scheme by Cronus the Titan against the Furies of myth. This is a spinoff for Neil Gaiman's Sandman and has massive spoilers for the end.

"Hawkeye (2012): My Life is a Weapon" is written by Matt Fraction and is illustrated by David Aja. It's an episodic look at how Hawkeye spends his time when he's not with the Avengers. There is an extra chapter showcasing how he met his successor Kate Bishop. It inspired the Hawkeye Disney+ show and is pretty fun.

"Hawkeye: Kate Bishop" is written by Kelly Thompson and is illustrated by Leonardo Romero. Kate moves to LA and becomes a PI superhero in LA. It's a fun take on the 20-something PI subgenre.

"West Coast Avengers (2019)" is written by Kelly Thompson and illustrated by Stefano Casselli. Kate recruits her friends to figure who B.R.O.D.O.K is and why Tigra became a giant mind controlled version of herself. They also raise money for funding by becoming the focus of a reality tv show.

"Young Avengers (2013): Style >Substance" is written by Kieron Gillen and illustrated by Jamie McKelvie. Wiccan tries to find an alternate universe where his boyfriend Hulkling's mom didn't die and it blows up in his face. To solve the crisis he recruits his friends from the Young Avengers. Kid loki tags along for some reason. It's pretty fun and probably the basis of a future Disney+ series.

therogis

ʙʟᴏᴏᴅ ғᴏʀ ғʀᴇᴇᴅᴏᴍ
Finished Aveyard's Red Queen a while ago and continued to the Sword of Glass (or was it Glass Sword? The second book in the series anyway, it's Lasinen miekka in my translated version) but it is... well, meh. Might DNF it soon.

I usually have an ongoing audiobook while I read a paperback or e-book, so I can listen to a book while doing chores and read one when I'm relaxing. So, I'm also listening to The Witcher #3 (or the first one on the actual books, third in the chronologue. It's really a struggle to say which number because according to my knowledge the publication order is not the same in translated versions lol). Blood of Elves, I guess... Haltiain verta in my language.

AzureNight13

Azure Night Goddess.... Or Wesker's daughter
Premium
Reading Seraph of the End manga again cause I’m so far behind and so much feels are wrecked

therogis

ʙʟᴏᴏᴅ ғᴏʀ ғʀᴇᴇᴅᴏᴍ
Actually listening as an audiobook, but The Time of Contempt, book #4 in The Witcher series.

The series is very different but, overall, very much better than the TV series. Speaking storywise ofc and not the adaptation, when there's a TV series vs. the book in question. The characters are built better (especially Jaskier is finally worth my interest in books) and the storyline is much more interesting.

I mentioned The Sword of Glass as my ongoing e-book in my last post, and even though I considered dnf'ing it, it's finally getting somewhere so I'll continue.

Top Bottom