• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What Are You Thinking?

Morgan

Premium
Xen-Ace 2021
As a Malaysian, I never understood the "McDonald's ice-cream machine is always broken" thing.
They always have McSundaes and McFlurries whenever I want...
Because the McDonald's ice-cream machines are always broken. Elsewhere. You just went to one of the ones that worked. ;)

Serious Answer, from what I understand on the matter:

There's a proven decade+ long repair racket between Taylor (the company that manufactures the McDonald's ice-cream machines), and the McDonald's Real Estate Corporation. At the heart of the issue, McDonald's franchises are contractually obligated to buy a certain model of Taylor ice-cream machines, sold at 18K apiece up front. These machines go through a routine cycle which involves heat treating the ice cream to a certain temp to pasteurize it, but the cycle fails, and the machine spits out a code on the screen that's absolute gibberish. It doesn't allow for other operations of the machine until the cycle goes through successfully, but it can't be done successfully because it always fails, and the machine provides no actionable information to say why it failed, except maybe the machine was either too full or not full enough so it didn't reach the required mandated temperature to finish the cycle.

The actual fill level or proper temperature is never detailed in the manual. In fact, the manual's response to just about every issue is "Call a technician". A technician from Taylor has to come out, interpret the tea leaves-- I mean, code on the screen, and then fix the machine by inputting a code. The repairman gets paid the big money, leaves, the machine gets broken again, the repairman has to come back again. Job security. The idea is that Taylor intentionally programmed those models of ice cream machine to suck, and McDonald's REC gets a kickback from that because the franchisees have to pay Taylor and Taylor pays the McD's executives-- whether it's via their ownership of Taylor stock, or there's a family relation between execs of both companies, or an executive or three is on both boards of directors, or all of the above. Taylor gets a whole quarter of their profits from repairs, so it's in their best interest to keep the machines breaking. And other fast-food chains that use different Taylor models (Wendy's, etc) don't have this issue.

A startup called Kytch invented a device that could connect to the McDonald's ice cream machine. It could interpret the internal communication going on in the machine and tell the staff in plain language what was wrong with it, allowing them to fix it themselves. Reportedly the Kytch device could actually pre-empt a malfunction through pattern recognition and subsequently spitting out what the ice-cream machine was "thinking" and provide staff with preventative measures. It made things fixable. This prompted higher-ups at McDonalds to issue fake warnings about how using the device would put the employees in danger of "serious human injury" and warning them not to use it. It's a f**king mobile-sized device plugged into an ice cream machine.

Taylor then "reverse engineered" (read: stole the data) from Kytch and made their own bootlegged device which "does the same thing" but they would charge the McD's franchises for software connectivity, so they could still maintain a stream of revenue from "repairs", which somehow works better for them than just selling a better machine that doesn't break as often. Or updating the spaghetti code the machines currently run on. Kytch sued Taylor on the grounds of corporate espionage and misappropriation of trade secrets to the point of hiring their own private investigator firm to buy a Kytch device for study. Taylor denied doing that and stated they had no intention to emulate Kytch, then during the discovery phase of the lawsuit, 800 pages of internal emails and presentations came up detailing that the Taylor company actually did mention Kytch repeatedly and specifically how Taylor wanted to emulate specific Kytch features in their own competing product and that McDonald's REC took it upon themselves to stop their franchises from using Kytch devices.

So TLDR; corporations gonna corporate, there was a huge scam, both Taylor and McDonald's REC are a bunch of crooks. Right to Repair for life.

LOL, stumbled upon this reply on a post about how every DCEU actor besides Gal Gadot and Jason Momoa is gone now for one reason or another.

Not gonna lie, that is EXACTLY the impression DC has made on me during these years. It really does feel like that's how their movies have gotten greenlit.

Alternate scenario: This is all part of Darkseid's plan to take out the Justice League before his armada arrives on Earth.
(But no yeah, corporate mismanagement is pretty much all the DCEU is.)

therogis

ʙʟᴏᴏᴅ ғᴏʀ ғʀᴇᴇᴅᴏᴍ
Studies show that motivation follows action more likely than just randomly occurs when you sit on your butt and wait for it.

Next time you hear me complain of my thesis, remind me of above and this day, because today I completed a chapter that I avoided for a long time because it was difficult. All it took was forcing myself to get to it yesterday morning and the rest just basically wrote itself. :cool:

Small successes!

Also another victory over the mythical inspiration fairy lol

Goldsickle

These machines go through a routine cycle which involves heat treating the ice cream to a certain temp to pasteurize it, but the cycle fails, and the machine spits out a code on the screen that's absolute gibberish. It doesn't allow for other operations of the machine until the cycle goes through successfully, but it can't be done successfully because it always fails, and the machine provides no actionable information to say why it failed, except maybe the machine was either too full or not full enough so it didn't reach the required mandated temperature to finish the cycle.
I read one article written by a staff about how the cleaning takes "four hours a day" and they always tell customers the machine as "broken" while trying to clean.

I also talked about this with a friend on Discord earlier and he kinda summarized what you mentioned about the specific temperature settings of the machine.
But you go into more detail...
I didn't know about the Kytch fix part.

I guess where I live, they probably have machines that are easier to maintain and the stores here aren't contractually obligated to buy those Taylor models of ice-cream machines.

Taramafor

motivation follows action
This is very true. The mistake people tend to make is thinking of "past" interactions. Instead of considering what comes next. Bad memories can get in the way of that.

To quote Virgil: "If you want it then you have to take it." I got this little tick. I state that if someone wants something then they have to say it like they mean it. Even those that complain about not liking being in control can't deny that it gets them what they want. Provided things are playful they learn to enjoy being in control more. It's a speaking up/making things clear thing.

There's also the blind/clear situations. Give someone exactly what they thought they wanted and suddenly they change their minds. Such events can quickly lead to affection. Subverting expectations has a funny way of motivating people.

therogis

ʙʟᴏᴏᴅ ғᴏʀ ғʀᴇᴇᴅᴏᴍ
I state that if someone wants something then they have to say it like they mean it. --
Give someone exactly what they thought they wanted and suddenly they change their minds.
My daughter agrees with you. She's 9 months old.

Seriously talking, I mostly agree with you. You want it? Do something about it.

Taramafor

My daughter agrees with you. She's 9 months old.

Seriously talking, I mostly agree with you. You want it? Do something about it.
Kids probably know it better to be honest. People forget to play. But it's such an important skill.

Thing is everyone got their own idea of "the rules". At that point pull a Dr Who and blow up the dalek fleet. Jokes aside, no one's obligated to play "your" way. It can be "ours" though. It's not really about agreements (doesn't happen every time). It's more like... Hmm... Getting people to play along. So yea, kids have a better idea about it.

Never forget to play. Never let others forget either.

therogis

ʙʟᴏᴏᴅ ғᴏʀ ғʀᴇᴇᴅᴏᴍ
Kids probably know it better to be honest.
Agreed to this as well. I've been thinking a lot how much she has taught me during this months. Of putting things to perspective, of speaking up when you need to, of persistence and innocence and love and empathy and...

Religion is not for everyone so feel free to consider this as a philosophical statement over biblical: No wonder Jesus said those who become like children shall become the greatest in heaven.

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
Getting out of a reading slump, which is nice. It's not typical for me to go a week without reading anything, much less a month.

+Ignore all the housework until you get home? Okay, if you insist... :sneaky:

++I really, really hope these supplement powders start helping Kaz with his allergies/atopic dermatitis. Apoquel is getting kinda expensive to keep him on, and with the vet wanting him in to get weighed in such before they can prescribe him more? Well, that's going to hurt if/when we do it. Can everything just stop being so ****ing expensive? T_T

+++The fact that my sales look like a flatline is really starting to get to me.

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
Stupid Sour Mallowolf left my garden before he ate the last Hoghurt. I was that close to taming him, getting another 6 and then rescuing the Parrybo that I've been after for about 3 hours.

My virtual first world problems are beyond the pale...

Taramafor

Got some online roleplay buddies. Had the "actions make mood and let's establish things" talks. Having fun.

Very happy right now. Also ****ed off about people that are desperate for cheap laughs and never try to consider other viewpoints. Eh, silver lining.

Oh, and I found out somoene had a heart attack and has permanment blood clot damage in the artery. Oof.

And of course I had to deal with close minded people that refuse to do straight answers in the same day. Which is choosing misunderstnadings and counter productive as hell.

This is my average day. It's also why I have a very good memory. So what if I couldn't handle it at first. One learns too after the struggle. Get what I'm saying?

Last edited:

Goldsickle

Someone sold a book online where the protagonist's name is:

Johnny Carter...

We're now explaining to him how that name is two letters away from a possible copyright violation...

Goldsickle

I’m fairly certain you can’t actually copyright a name like that. :unsure:
I don't know how it works, to be honest.
But sometimes, it's best to play it safe.

EDIT: The Barsoom series itself seems to be in public domain, while Disney lost the rights to the series.

Last edited:

therogis

ʙʟᴏᴏᴅ ғᴏʀ ғʀᴇᴇᴅᴏᴍ
Only recently it has really hit me how hard it is to provoke, annoy, or intimidate me nowadays.

YES, I'm proud of it. Hard work, good religious company, and personality reflection pays off :cool:

Also my chess ELO must be approaching 1500 which also makes me proud!

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I wanna read "all the wrong questions" by lemony snicket.

It's a prequel of "A Series of Unfortunate Events" and it's described as a kid noir. I'm curious as to what that's like.

Last edited:

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Taika Waititi is to the MCU what Rian Johnson was to Star Wars. "Let's give fans what they don't want", "subverting expectations" and all.

therogis

ʙʟᴏᴏᴅ ғᴏʀ ғʀᴇᴇᴅᴏᴍ
I have slept enough nights in tent and in bed (switching every other night) so I can confidently say I'm gonna sleep here until it gets really cold. Which is probably something like November.
I guess I have to go back in during the winter months even though I'm gonna buy a proper sleeping bag if I want to keep my face instead of freezing it... but we'll see. As long as I'm able to I'll sleep outside. It makes me so relaxed, my heart rate is around 44-46 bpm when I sleep here.

Speaking of which... *yaaaawwwn* Time to tuck in.

therogis

ʙʟᴏᴏᴅ ғᴏʀ ғʀᴇᴇᴅᴏᴍ
I hate blood samples. I fear blood. I fear needles.

My survival tactics is to offer my left arm to the nurse with no intention to hide the tattoo. It's a great starter for a distracting discussion while I'm sitting in the torture chair. "So you're afraid of needles? How come you've got a tattoo?" After which I need to explain how I only fear those needles that 1. go deep in 2. I have actually seen (it was a strategical choice to never look at the tattoo machine).

But not every nurse takes the bait.

Fun fact: I actually applied and got into a nurse school after junior high with aptitude score of 9/10. Never graduated.

Top Bottom