• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What could've happened to DMC5 and DmC2?

The Final Offer

When DmC was announced and all throughout it's development cycle there were negative responses. Those responses ranged from the character of the game to the creators. Anything and everything the creators said about the game was and still, to this day, is taken as an insult to "fans" and the "original Dante".

After the dust cleared and the game came out crushing the doubt of it's performance. There were still alot of people that couldn't get past the glowing reviews from critics. So they took to the user reviews and downplayed DmC before and after it came out.

With activities and behaviors such as violent letters, boycotting DmC, and videos threatening the life of the creator. Could Capcom have stepped back and realized something foul in the air about Devil May Cry's fanbase? Did they look thoroughly into the fanbases' actions and realized that this series was getting out of hand? Did they pull the plug right then and there? Claiming that, after DmC, no more Devil May Cry ever.

What the negative fans could've done was cease each and every attempt to revitalize the series. Even if it's just a filler until the original is finished. They could have just made every fan miss out on a sequel. On top of this, the negative fanbase could've scared away other developers that Capcom could've been interested in making DMC5.

I've thought about these things for a while now and I'm actually feeling that Devil May Cry is complete to Capcom. They were thinking about more Devil May Cry in 2015, but no announcement was made at Tokyo Game Show and Capcom is not known for announcing games months prior to their release (even with DmC). Could the negative fanbase harmed any and all chances of getting another Devil May Cry whether it's DmC2 or DMC5 or even a spin off?

What do you think those negative reactions caused?

xMobilemux

I'll just get right to the ass kicking.
Supporter 2014
If Devil May Cry is dead due to the negative reactions, then it's a mission accomplished in my eyes.
Those negative reactions may have saved Devil May Cry from living on as a boring and dumbed down zombie of itself by being a causal gritty show and tell instead of a hardcore skill based action video game that it's been it's entire life.
If the reactions also caused DMC5 to be canceled then it's unfortunate but still a mission accomplished because knowing Modern Capcom they'd f**k it up anyway and Classic Dante would be ruined by dark and serious character development, the gameplay would still be dumbed down and stupidly built around the story and then Devil May Cry would still live on as a boring and dumbed down zombie of itself. Just like Resident Evil is.

I won't settle for anything less than a game that surpasses DMC4 in gameplay and DMC3 in stylish awesomeness and the return of an older DMC3/DMC4 Dante who just wants to have a good time and a good laugh, like I do.
I don't see anyone in the industry today being able to pull that off that isn't called Platinum Games or Team Ninja so I say those negative reactions gave the Devil May Cry series what it needed, a bullet to the head since that's the only way to kill a rotting zombie.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
Well if something would've happened to franchise, it was DmC. Game basically split fanbase in two, and number of new fans also not reassuring. After it no matter what they do, other half will jump on them and try to undermine next game. If it will be DmC2, those who hated it, will continue to bash it. If it's DMC5 there are lot of DmC fans who gonna run around and complain about "cliche anime crap" and essentially do same thing. Since Capcom only after money, I don't think they really inspired to do anything with franchsie.

Axon49

Frequency 141.80
Well, there are a few things I've thought about this.

One, I think they made the "more Devil May Cry in 2015" comment before DmC came out. I'm almost certain they were referring to a DmC sequel. In fact, according to what I believe is the original source of that quote, they even specifically mention, "for DMC Devil May Cry, development will require five years due to the time needed to select development companies because of our decision to switch to external development," and then go on to say "But our goal is to reduce the cycle to 2.5 years for subsequent titles in this series."

(I also think this explains the simplified combat and story-driven direction the game took. That's certainly one good way of reducing dev time, I'd think.)

Then DmC didn't meet expectations and NT most likely got the boot from what we can tell. I'm not an inside man, so I can't/won't say DmC2 is cancelled, but if it's happening at all it's almost certainly not happening in the same capacity as it once was and any previous time frame has been thrown out the window.

If they decided to go with DMC5 this is even more true. It not only completely goes in a different direction than what they were (probably) planning, but it would bump them back to the normal development cycle of three to four years.

Those comments were also probably just hopeful projections anyway. I really doubt the Capcom CEO/COO really knows what goes on on the ground floor. By which I mean he probably has no actual ties to the development team(s), and probably has no idea what it takes to make a game. At best, I think it was just what they planned on asking of the dev team, with nothing set in stone.

tl;dr - I think those comments had little weight when they were said, and even less now. I'm not too worried they might not follow through with them.

The Final Offer

I'm thinking that negativity generated a perspective of the fanbase. The actual idea of the Devil May Cry fanbase. Is now something Capcom doesn't want to cater to anymore.

Personally, if I created something and had fans like that. I would stop and consider my efforts a failure. These would not be the people I expected to enjoy my game. These are the ass hairs of gaming. I have failed to gain respectable fans. I'll have to try something else.

Think about this for a second. If Capcom allowed a select few of fans to play DmC months before it released and even allowed them to review it. What do you think they would've said? No white hair and not Dante. They'd already hate the game for being an alternate universe. When in truth, this is what Capcom's been doing with their franchises for years. Why are people (of this series) being so uptight about it now?

ItWasAnEggTimer

Same as it ever was
It just bugs me when people act like Dante is any different in the reboot than he was in 1, 3, or 4.

He was pretty much the same guy, just with added swearing. He wasn't any more serious, because Dante was capable of being serious in 3, in fact, his scene of being serious is what gave the franchise its name, "Devil May Cry."

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
It just bugs me when people act like Dante is any different in the reboot than he was in 1, 3, or 4.

He was pretty much the same guy, just with added swearing. He wasn't any more serious, because Dante was capable of being serious in 3, in fact, his scene of being serious is what gave the franchise its name, "Devil May Cry."

No he was different. He was too REAL and these lil boys can't handle the harsh rebel realness that is new Dante.

I'd hate to see these fans if Alan Moore did Devil May Cry. THEN they'll know.

ItWasAnEggTimer

Same as it ever was
Anime cliche bishonen Dante > Westernized Hollywood cliche Donte.

I never found either of them to be either cliche.

I never thought the old one was too anime (if that makes any sense,) and I never thought the new one was too punk.

Except those couple of times in 3 where Dante flips his hair back, that was kinda annoying.

Lord Dante

Forever waiting.
Y'know, everyone could've just not bought the game to tell Capcom they didn't like the reboot, instead of doing, well, ALL OF THAT, and showing themselves to be really immature..

Well maybe if Tameem kept his mouth shut and assured the fans that the game was in good hands then maybe there wouldn't be that much drama.

ItWasAnEggTimer

Same as it ever was
How difficult would it be to make DMC5, anyways?

The immense hate over DmC would probably increase sales in 5, and they wouldn't have to worry about internet backdraft because it's not DmC2.

Yeah, some people will be disappointed, but it will be a hell of a lot less people than if they made DmC2.

Lord Dante

Forever waiting.
If they decide to make 2 seperate continuations, according to their separate universe statement, I think they'll most likely have a happier fanbase from both sides.

But I don't know. Capcom seems to care about the cash flow nowadays :/

ItWasAnEggTimer

Same as it ever was
If they decide to make 2 seperate continuations, according to their separate universe statement, I think they'll most likely have a happier fanbase from both sides.

But I don't know. Capcom seems to care about the cash flow nowadays :/

Yeah, but making 2 separate continuities may be very expensive, so if one continuity had to survive, and it was the classic one, how hard would it be to make DMC5?

Lord Dante

Forever waiting.
Yeah, but making 2 separate continuities may be very expensive, so if one continuity had to survive, and it was the classic one, how hard would it be to make DMC5?

Who knows? Capcom's up for grabs now and whoever buys them out will most likely re-reboot the franchise.

Reminds me of the Tomb Raider franchise.. Tomb Raider Legend was a reboot of the franchise after they switched developers and when Eidos was bought by Square Enix, they re-rebooted it.

Top Bottom