• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What Devil May Cry should've been under Hideki Kamiya's direction

DarkSlayerZero

DMC1 Dante>>>>>>2-4
Well i think there was a fear that if Kamiya gained the rights to the series, he might throw out everything outside of DMC1 and start fresh a la a soft reboot.

I'd rather him do a soft reboot, it would fix every hole that Capcom opened.

I feel like the novel is more canon as DMC1's prequel than DMC3 (despite it being my most fav DMC game)...

And yeah we definitely want to see the video game version of Gilver AKA Vergil.

You already know my opinion.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
Well a soft reboot is more likely to happen if he gets the rights.

If Capcom just teams up with the game, he's just gonna ignore everything he doesnt wanna deal with (probably)

MigsRZXAStylish

In a place where no one follows me. i Walk Alone!
Well a soft reboot is more likely to happen if he gets the rights.

If Capcom just teams up with the game, he's just gonna ignore everything he doesnt wanna deal with (probably)

Well, I think Kamiya-san would just start off from DMC1 and then do as he envisioned it, which what he wanted for DMC, not what Capcom has done with it...

Railazel

Not saying he and PG can't make a great DMC game. They probably can or just can but can they or will they make it like DMC1 or similar to DMC1...........nope not really (well at least I think so). I mean in terms of style it might be more akin to DMC4 considering he used DMC4 as a reference when making Bayonetta and it seems more than just DMC4's gameplay rubbed off on Bayonetta.

I wouldn't say so. I think that if they stuck with the source material, they would just tweak it with better gameplay and graphics and, possibly, a better script.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
I wouldn't say so. I think that if they stuck with the source material, they would just tweak it with better gameplay and graphics and, possibly, a better script.

Well I don't have that kind of hope or faith in PLATINUM GAMES.

Kamiya in a recent interview even stated that he was able to make the games he made at Capcom and Clover Studios because of the environment he was in or the environment Capcom made. He no longer works at Capcom and only a handful of people from Capcom or Team Little Devils work at PG right now and with the fact that people are leaving PG and getting new workers the environment that Kamiya made DMC1 under is not at PG or completely there. Its not just one person but an entire team effort and you have all sorts of people with different roles an they help mold and shape the game in various ways. DMC1 (and its atmosphere) was made by a strictly Resident Evil team who is still at Capcom mostly. The same guy who did the art for DMC1 Makoto whatever his name is doesn't work for PG either (I'm not sure if he still works for Capcom). In fact more people from the DMC4 team works at PG than members from TLD (Team Little Devils) One of the writers for DMC1 is dead and Kamiya has shown what he is capable of on his own (Okami, Bayonetta, Viewtiful Joe, and Wonderful 101), all light hearted cartooney action fun (yes even Bayonetta) with lots of sex jokes (although Okami had a pretty good story with nice usage of symbolism and mythology).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNl6A3c83eE

@1:15 Oh the irony!!

Barely anyone from TLD is still with PG so if Kamiya does makes DMC5 with Capcom's say-so the best chance of recreating the DMC1 feel is if he actually works with Capcom and get some of the old crew. Otherwise DMC5 or any DMC game from PG would be your standard Platinum Games' game (over the top with mass explosive action, QTEs, vulgarity up the wazoo and sex jokes....lots and lots of sex jokes or innuendos in MGR/W101/Okami/VJ case....lets not forget stereotypes and lets not forget the gore and violence). It'll still be a great game that might get panned by critics and reviewers (some of which might be upset their not getting DmC2 but instead a most likely polar opposite of what they liked about DmC). I'm not saying this is a bad thing. I'll prefer a DMC PG game any day over DmC2 or anything NT related.

IncarnatedDemon

Tell me about it. I recently reflected over MGR, and it seems PG intefered with Kojima's team that was part of the project.
Some of the stuff you see in MGR is just stupid.
And honestly i am getting quite fed up with this "We dont care" attitude with the story. If your making a story...either make it serious and good or dont make at all.
Especially when it comes to a story that will be part of MG universe...

MGR's story started off good but somewhere it went off the rail and i stopped giving a crap.
Whatever seriousness the story had, once PG scenes kicked in ,everything went down the drain.
Like a bipolar story. "I was serious, but now i just dont give a fk".
Perhaps time constraints is reason why it went the way it did, but i doubt that. You see stuff in other games...

It's sad really. Platinum Games is talented at gameplay, but they are holding themself back by not realizing that reason their games dont sell extremely well is because people want a story they can connect to.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
to be honest, Im not against Kamiya doing it out of curiosity but i think this thread has gotten carried away with too much fan wishing.

Well I don't have that kind of hope or faith in PLATINUM GAMES.

Kamiya in a recent interview even stated that he was able to make the games he made at Capcom and Clover Studios because of the environment he was in or the environment Capcom made. He no longer works at Capcom and only a handful of people from Capcom or Team Little Devils work at PG right now and with the fact that people are leaving PG and getting new workers the environment that Kamiya made DMC1 under is not at PG or completely there. Its not just one person but an entire team effort and you have all sorts of people with different roles an they help mold and shape the game in various ways. DMC1 (and its atmosphere) was made by a strictly Resident Evil team who is still at Capcom mostly. The same guy who did the art for DMC1 Makoto whatever his name is doesn't work for PG either (I'm not sure if he still works for Capcom). In fact more people from the DMC4 team works at PG than members from TLD (Team Little Devils) One of the writers for DMC1 is dead and Kamiya has shown what he is capable of on his own (Okami, Bayonetta, Viewtiful Joe, and Wonderful 101), all light hearted cartooney action fun (yes even Bayonetta) with lots of sex jokes (although Okami had a pretty good story with nice usage of symbolism and mythology).

@1:15 Oh the irony!!

Barely anyone from TLD is still with PG so if Kamiya does makes DMC5 with Capcom's say-so the best chance of recreating the DMC1 feel is if he actually works with Capcom and get some of the old crew. Otherwise DMC5 or any DMC game from PG would be your standard Platinum Games' game (over the top with mass explosive action, QTEs, vulgarity up the wazoo and sex jokes....lots and lots of sex jokes or innuendos in MGR/W101/Okami/VJ case....lets not forget stereotypes and lets not forget the gore and violence). It'll still be a great game that might get panned by critics and reviewers (some of which might be upset their not getting DmC2 but instead a most likely polar opposite of what they liked about DmC). I'm not saying this is a bad thing. I'll prefer a DMC PG game any day over DmC2 or anything NT related.

So I guess it would be a lot like DMC4 then;) ?

In all seriousness, it'll just be different strokes for different blokes which is fine.

Tell me about it. I recently reflected over MGR, and it seems PG intefered with Kojima's team that was part of the project.
Some of the stuff you see in MGR is just stupid.
And honestly i am getting quite fed up with this "We dont care" attitude with the story. If your making a story...either make it serious and good or dont make at all.
Especially when it comes to a story that will be part of MG universe...

MGR's story started off good but somewhere it went off the rail and i stopped giving a crap.
Whatever seriousness the story had, once PG scenes kicked in ,everything went down the drain.
Like a bipolar story. "I was serious, but now i just dont give a fk".
Perhaps time constraints is reason why it went the way it did, but i doubt that. You see stuff in other games...

It's sad really. Platinum Games is talented at gameplay, but they are holding themself back by not realizing that reason their games dont sell extremely well is because people want a story they can connect to.

tbh, storytelling in games is hard to quantify because its more subjective and ultimately you could just watch a game's story mode on youtube.

plus just because you want to write a good story doesn't mean you can (just ask team ninja)

And there is an audience who isn't their kind of games so why bother changing

I'm in the minority on the site as I liked MGR's story more than other platinum games and even DmC but to be fair, MGR has the advantage of being in a world that is already flushed out and having characters that already flushed out.

Granted DMC is an already existing franchise but the world and its characters are still a blank canvas.

Well the problem with MGR is you understand what the big bad wants but you don't understand how he plans to get it because each thing he and the crew does does feels separated from the others.

It just doesn't come together as a whole because the game focuses more on Raiden's arc(which is not a bad thing).

IncarnatedDemon

Are you kidding with me? My signature shows a dialogue from MGR. Reboot's story by Ninja theory in my opinion was not better than MGR's.
But i feel that Platinum Games ruined the story of Raiden by mixing typical Platinum Games stuff in it.

It started off decent, and then it got better but scenes like the guard reading a Loli magazine and villains that dont act very much like villains...ruined it.
It felt very comical, and i feel that hurt the story, which was about Raiden fighting for saving kids.
I dont think subjectivity is the case here. I loved when Sam said "When your chopping them into hamburgers?", which was both funny and serious.
But when your going to make a story that is about a man who was used as a child as a soldier, who now is fighting to prevent same thing happening to kids on streets,
then you should emphasize the emotional development of the protaganist and have less Platinum GAmes typically scenes with Bayonetta licking on a lolipop or showing her body, or things that aren't serious.

I just feel that while Kojima's men were writing the story, Platinum Games developer got some stuff into the writing and as result ruined partially.

If your going to write a emotional or serious story, then you should do that, not make a scene with a man reading a Loli magazine...thats just not cool.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
Are you kidding with me? My signature shows a dialogue from MGR. Reboot's story by Ninja theory in my opinion was not better than MGR's.
But i feel that Platinum Games ruined the story of Raiden by mixing typical Platinum Games stuff in it.

It started off decent, and then it got better but scenes like the guard reading a Loli magazine and villains that dont act very much like villains...ruined it.
It felt very comical, and i feel that hurt the story, which was about Raiden fighting for saving kids.
I dont think subjectivity is the case here. I loved when Sam said "When your chopping them into hamburgers?", which was both funny and serious.
But when your going to make a story that is about a man who was used as a child as a soldier, who now is fighting to prevent same thing happening to kids on streets,
then you should emphasize the emotional development of the protaganist and have less Platinum GAmes typically scenes with Bayonetta licking on a lolipop or showing her body, or things that aren't serious.

I just feel that while Kojima's men were writing the story, Platinum Games developer got some stuff into the writing and as result ruined partially.

If your going to write a emotional or serious story, then you should do that, not make a scene with a man reading a Loli magazine...thats just not cool.

Actually that quote is my favorite in the game because it does get me to question Raiden as a character and see him in a different light. If your writing an antihero, they should be characters who you are afraid of and even question a little.

I do think it does have problems but I dont see the scene with the loli guard as one of them since metal gear always had those kind of moments. Mgs4 had a character afflicted with constant diarrhea which was used for comedic affect.

IncarnatedDemon

Actually that quote is my favorite in the game because it does get me to question Raiden as a character and see him in a different light. If your writing an antihero, they should be characters who you are afraid of and even question a little.

I do think it does have problems but I dont see the scene with the loli guard as one of them since metal gear always had those kind of moments. Mgs4 had a character afflicted with constant diarrhea which was used for comedic affect.
Loli guard scene is bad for MGR

I think your point of anti hero is good. I believe Raiden realize during MGR that he can use what he is for good things. When he said:
"I am saying Jack is back!" i think he realized that he shouldn't deny what he is. Though he became someone who loved to kill, he realized that this nature of his...can be used for good purpose.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
quote="MigsRZXAStylish, post: 520690, member: 17259"]I'm gonna take a break...

Stay on-topic here while I'm gone...![/quote]
On topic he might do a crossover between bayonetta and DMC.

Loli guard scene is bad for MGR

I think your point of anti hero is good. I believe Raiden realize during MGR that he can use what he is for good things. When he said:
"I am saying Jack is back!" i think he realized that he shouldn't deny what he is. Though he became someone who loved to kill, he realized that this nature of his...can be used for good purpose.
Well people do point out that mgs4 gave raiden his closure and saw mgr as going against that but they also forgot Mgs2 also gave him closure as well so that logic was flawed.

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!

Not only that PG had a strong influence on the story. In fact the plot was originally going to be a prequel to MGS4 and focus on Raiden and him getting accustomed to his new cyborg body and his time dealing with the transformation but when PG was hired to help with gameplay PG wanted to do a stand alone story or a sequel spin off to the MGR series so they can have more freedom.

I wonder what PG would've done if KojiPro had said NO and went with their ORIGINAL plans. Would they have had a hissyfit and leave when KojiPro didn't give in to their demands, would they have disgruntley agreed, or just said "okay" and went with the original plans or come to a compromise.

IncarnatedDemon

They would have obeyed. MGR gameplay is inspired by 4. And one guy who was going to quit job at PG worked another half year after he saw the character designs (intial ones) were not Metal Gear. If you look at first trailer with Sam smiling, he looks japanese or asian.

But final product, he looks mexican. Perhaps that was the work of that one guy?

Top Bottom