• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Why is Dante so DMC3 like in DMC4?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
Has anyone ever noticed Dante in DMC4? He just seems so...unserious. More so then DMC1 and 2. He acts alot like how he was in DMC3 and that really doesn't add up to me.

DMC3, he was cocky, arrogant, and hot headed. Then DMC1 came and he was calm and cool but stillcocky as well but a toned down mature cockiness. The anime was DMC1 Dante at his laziest, starting to grow into his DMC2 self. Then DMC4 comes and he's all arrogant and cocky again liike DMC3? I just don't really see how that works. Then he turns into the serious Dante of DMC2. It's just wierd to me.

Sparda's rejected son

For Edenoi!
Premium
Supporter 2014
DMC3 Dante so was awesome that I wrote a school report about Dante. So DMC4 wanted to keep that Dante attitude for the next game. But DMC4 Dante is different from DMC3 Dante in many ways but I won't get into all that now.

SonofRagnarok

hmm seeing as 4 is supost to be between 1 and 2 maybe Dante is like that because he's like " freak yea i wooped Le Mundus"

Tony_Redgrave

TimeLord Detective
Ηe is mostly like DMC3 Dante, because he was made by mostly the same guys who made DMC3 Dante. After DMC1, they had a bit of problem recreating Dante's original personality (seeing as how he barely talks in DMC2) so when they found out that their DMC3 approach of Dante's personality was actually super approved by the fans, they sticked to that in their next game.

Otherwise, let's try to think of it in a more story oriented way. I'll try to have every DMC thing as canon. It's impossible to link everything if you look closely at certain facts, but if you don't mind letting some things "slide" to help the story "flow" better then read.

DMC3 Manga:
Dante is young man who has been through lots of stuff in his life. However, he has supernatural powers that no man can possibly compare to. He looks like he doesn't take life seriously, but deep down inside he is actually sad and lonely. He thinks every member of his family has been killed by demons (until he met Vergil) and doesn't have any actual care in the world. The world has given him nothing good, so all he does is try to have a good time while avoiding any serious talk.

DMC3 Game:
Dante's life and view of life changes dramatically by the involvement of Vergil, Lady and Arkham in his carefree lifestyle. He sees that even though, Vergil has had the same past as him, he is set on a goal, he is powerful, and invincible. Likewise, the weak (in comparison to Dante) human Lady is the same. In the end he realizes that some things ARE important, like family, and that since he is alive he should try his best to do what he can best in order to help the society. Which is to say, help Lady and continue his father's legacy by becoming a professional devil hunter. As a bonus he might get to meet Vergil again at some point or come face to face with the murderer of his mother, adding determination and seriousness to the young Dante.

DMC1 Novel:
Dante's life as a mercenary Devil Hunter isn't the easiest one could think of. Even though his incredible abilities allow him to dispatch any enemy with ease, there are still people who can challenge him face to face and not even blink. Dante's life has way more responsibilities than the life he led back at the DMC3 era, which help him mature and grow. He still has his cocky and taunting attitude, but knows when to stop and when to start. Some things are just to important to just laugh them off like he used to. Even though Lady is in the same line of work, it's not like they meet often, and not having any real friends amongst Enzo's mercenaries doesn't help him ease his loneliness. Those two combined probably led him into creating the password system that allows only people with serious problems to actually find him. His resolve to avenge his family is still strong.

DMC1 Game:
Dante receives the offer to finally get the jackpot. Mundus, the murderer of his mother is about to be resurrected, and thus Dante runs off to take him out. He starts off cocky as usual, though that almost cost him his life when Nelo Angelo almost defeated him and ended any possibility of him avenging his mother. Dante's "uncaring" charade finally crumbles as he strives to save Trish moments after she openly betrayed him, only because she had the form of his mother. That added with the fact that just before that he actually killed his own brother who had become a puppet of his previous self, hardens Dante. A way too serious Dante comes before Mundus and orders him to Silence, following with lots of fighting that took out Mundus. The death of Trish, didn't make Dante as happy as he thought he'd be at this victory. A ray of hope suddenly appears in these grim events when Trish is revealed to have survived, and offers Dante her alligiance as they beat Mundus and go to live together. Dante is a bit happier, and not as lonely as before. But way more serious than he was.

DMC Anime:
The ray of hope in Dante's lonely life, Trish, left him, forcing him to go solo once again. The recent events with the killing of his brother and what not, have not completely left him. Lady visits him now and then, but usually only to somehow take money from him. Patty enters his life, to brighten it with lots of smiles and even more cute stuff inside his shop. Little by little he starts regaining his old self. At the end of the anime, he let himself be crucified by the final boss, probably because, having lost his goal to avenge his family/find his brother/etc. he didn't really care anymore. Patty helps him recover from such thoughts, and even though she leaves, Trish returns shortly after that. And Lady started frequent there more, having become good friends with her as well.

DMC4 Game:
Dante still has no goal, but at least he has lots of friends. Having vanquished the most powerful demon in the world, makes HIM the most powerful demon. No threat can ever come to him, and since he has his friends around him, his mood isn't as dark anymore. His adventure in the game leads him to find that he has a relative, even though he had no clue about it in the past. He mostly cares about observing and guiding Nero, as the demons in DMC4 are no match for Nero, and Nero with Yamato full powered is no match for Dante without Dante even DTing. Thus the demons in DMC4 are absolutely nothing in front of Dante and he doesn't really take them seriously. Making him look way closer to what he was back in DMC3.

DragonMaster2010

Interesting explaination TR. So basically Dante's over joyed to have friends now and even find a lost family relative and possibly the only one left. but that doesn't explain why he is how he is in DMC2? Is it because Trish and Lady left?

Dante47

I was hoping Devil May Cry 5 to bridge the gap between DMC4 to DMC2. I thought that could explain it.

Sieghart

"Plough the lilies"
Very nice explanation indeed Tony Redgrave.
0001.png

mrrandomlulz

Monsuuuta moonssuta mo mo mo mo monsuuta
Interesting explaination TR. So basically Dante's over joyed to have friends now and even find a lost family relative and possibly the only one left. but that doesn't explain why he is how he is in DMC2? Is it because Trish and Lady left?
Allow me. For all we know, DMC2 could've taken place years, even centuries, after 4. Dante is practically immortal from what we know so it would come to no surprise that Dante would look so young, and for all we know they could've meant 40 in demon years, which I would assume is 4 centuries, and even if this nonsensical theory isn't correct, lets just review the amount of crap Lady gets herself into for a mortal, It would come to me as no surprise if Lady, a mortal who nearly gets herself killed on a usual basis, was dead by the events of DMC2. Lady was one of Dante's friends since DMC3 when he was at his youngest in the canonical series, so wouldn't it make sense that he would be pretty god damn depressed over her death.

(I know the shippers would be depressed as hell)

DragonMaster2010

Allow me. For all we know, DMC2 could've taken place years, even centuries, after 4. Dante is practically immortal from what we know so it would come to no surprise that Dante would look so young, and for all we know they could've meant 40 in demon years, which I would assume is 4 centuries, and even if this nonsensical theory isn't correct, lets just review the amount of crap Lady gets herself into for a mortal, It would come to me as no surprise if Lady, a mortal who nearly gets herself killed on a usual basis, was dead by the events of DMC2. Lady was one of Dante's friends since DMC3 when he was at his youngest in the canonical series, so wouldn't it make sense that he would be pretty god damn depressed over her death.

(I know the shippers would be depressed as hell)

GAAAAAAAAHHH!!! I DON"T WANT TO THINK OF LADY DYING!-!-! But you do have a point though.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
lady would have died because of old age because there is no way you can keep her without resorting to demon magic, which she wouldnt allow.

I guess you could say he was sad all of his human friends died.

Apollo from the NT forums said that Dante's behaviior in 4 was like someone laughing at a funeral. He was shocked and didn't know what other way to deal with nero's reveal and the existence of the order.

Tony_Redgrave

TimeLord Detective
WOW! this makes alot more sense now. thanks TR. How long have you been researching/thinking of all this DMC stuff?

I'm not exactly researching, but you know when you like something too much, you get to it again and again, each time remembering more details and making new assumptions, noticing more stuff etcXD

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
Honestly, all fan theories aside, I put it down to executive meddling and them thinking that if Dante acted like his DMC3 self that the game would sell better. Honestly, it was a major con for me... Dante is nothing but annoying. >_>

Vezild

Taking Back Lordran One Boss At a Time
What Dreadnought said...they probably just thought that if DMC 4 Dante was anything like DMC 3 Dante, the fans would be lining up for the game... unfortunately, I thought he was even more immature than DMC 3 Dante. Good thing he's fun to play as though.
By the way, am I the only one who thinks DMC 4 should be noncanon? It just doesn't fit in anywhere.

DarkSlayerZero

DMC1 Dante>>>>>>2-4
By the way, am I the only one who thinks DMC 4 should be noncanon? It just doesn't fit in anywhere.

I say just remove Nero, he had potential(As long as he isn't related to Vergil) but we were never given and most likely will never get any info about him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom