• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Why Yamato is so OP than Rebellion and Sparda ?

Morgan

Premium
Xen-Ace 2021
Because DMC4 and DMC5. Yamato wasn't sh#t when it was described in DMC1 as just a darkness-devouring sword Sparda tooled around with when he was in the human world, or when the flavor text for DMC3 said it could "cut through anything" but it was barehand blocked by Jester and Lady blocked it with Kalina Ann.

devil_inside123

The devil in the dark
Yamato looks like a divine sword compared to Rebellion Devil Sword Dante and Sparda
This may have been blown out of proportion, in 5 the only thing it can do that rebellion can't are things they added to it. I'm pretty sure yamatos dimension cutting and such isn't a real"power" (until they added portals) just how Dante firing a demonic wave with drive isn't a power, it's just dumb anime bs they can do give either one to a human they're equally useless. But like person above said , 4 and 5. In four at least it didn't power it up tho, just gave it a secondary key function, which makes no sense since that's already what the perfect amulet was but eh, Vergil had to find relevance in that game somehow since Nero's his kid but they couldn't just say that. But as for the portal thing that got carried over from DmC? Well it's only there cuz it got carried over. No one mentions it cuz on paper it's a natural extension to what it was already said and shown to do. They just didn't have the foresight to see how op it'd really make the sword. But either way it did always feel like rebellion was in a weird spot. Since 1 Yamato has been a sword of sparda. In 2 rebellion was the literally generic starter sword, never meant to be anything special. They just said Dante got it from sparda because he couldn't have force edge, the sword they said in the first game was a momento of sparda because now he's seem favored and that was the mcguffin of this game. So they either had to make new sword or retcon rebellion so him and Vergil look equally loved instead of vergil having daddy's sword and Dante being stuck with a random sword he found

Sparda's rejected son

For Edenoi!
Premium
Supporter 2014
Because the "rule of 3" my man. Really rebellion is the useless sword in the trio. Sparda is the special blade, Yamato is the cool samurai sword and Rebellion is... Kind of there. Sort of reminds me of Inuyasha's swords. Their was the main two then the movie revealed a 3rd sword.
The rule of 3 man!

Taramafor

Honestly, I think the series is going to end up going "This sword is now useless" at some point.

Like with Thor and his Hammer in the movies. Hammer breaks. Thor is heart broken about it. His dad then reminds him that Thor's real strength came from within himself.

It will be interesting to see if the next DMC game (if there is one) does anything like that. Even if just for a moment so we can see Virgil's character develop from it. He can get it back after of course. Maybe Dante will even use it for a bit (gameplay wise).

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
Plot convenience.

The creators needed an item of interest to play into the plot. These are referred to as "MacGuffins" or "Plot Coupons" and are used in every genre.

Rather than create new ones like the 3 Totems the Vie Di Marli were protecting, they decided to use an existing one in the Yamato.

Both methods are valid.

4 was about a cult of sparda who wanted to take over the world. So using an existing relic of Sparda made sense. Dante also didn't have it in his possession.

In 5, they wanted to lean into the Vergil/Nero connection so having Vergil steal Yamato from Nero made for a good opening.

Last edited:

Sparda's rejected son

For Edenoi!
Premium
Supporter 2014
I think Vergil taking Yamato back from Nero is a scene that folks don't speak about enough. The dude yeets Nero so hard his arm (pops) right off! Like damn. If they made Yamato important just for that scene then boy did they succeed!

Nerogil

I know, this is a old topic, but I still want to share some of my thoughts on it =)

Now Yamato seems Godlike at first, but if you take the whole Story of Sparda into consideration, it makes sense and all other swords are just as Powerful in different ways.

First let us Talk about Sparda, the character: Sparda, after defeating Mundus, decided to seal his Powers away alongside the demon realm. But how was he able to seal ONLY his power, without sealing his whole body and person? That is where the 3 devil Arms come into play. How the Yamato was created is a mystery but DMC1 implied (with the Sparda costume) that Sparda used this sword in the human world after he sealed his powers. So MAYBE he forged this sword in the human world with his powers but it is technically not a part of him, like Devil Sword Sparda. That would explain why it looks so "mundane" and normal in design compared to his other weapons. he created it to split his powers from himself, creating the Force Edge (the physical Form of his powers) and the amulets (the seals in which his Powers most likely reside, since the Devil Sword Sparda can only be reforged with both amulets combined to release it).
During this Process or after it, Sparda probably also created the Rebellion as a backup plan. Even with Demon Realm sealed, it could still be possible that demons might return and his powers might be needed once more, so the rebellion was created in case this happens. If the seal to the demon realm should ever be broken, Sparda can use the Rebellion to combine himself again with his old Powers, returning him into his original demonic self.

That would explain why the Devil Sword Sparda was absorbed when Dante stabbed himself with the rebellion in DMC5, since this was most likely what it was originally intended to do. This was actually already hinted at in DMC3, when Dante got stabbed with the Rebellion, which suddenly activated his Devil Trigger, and transformed the swords design a little. By being stabbed with it Dantes Soul has forcefull become one with his Devil Powers. I say forcefully because Dante seemed to never have accepted his demon heritage like Vergil did and thus never unlocked his power on his own.

In fact, it seems that the Yamato is actually the "weakest(!)" of the three by comparison. The Devil Sword Sparda is the true strenght of Sparda, with a Blade that can change Form to give access to varying attack mdoes, the Rebellion that can unleash the true potential of someone who forcefully unleashes their inner Power.

Yet the Yamato is meant to actually STRIP Power away, and is also used to SEAL things rather then unlocking power. However, it also comes with something that is probably unique to it (and that is HUGE speculation on my part, so not something that is actually to be considered canon, it is just my understanding of things): It refelcts the wielders TRUE Power. It is weird to see how differently Yamato used by each person that wielded it. In fact, Vergil is the only person (maybe besides Sparda) who was truly able to wield the sword. Dante used in DMC4 but he merely imitated Vergil, and it was not as effective as the weapon could potentially be (That was stated I believe in one of the Data Books IIRC). Nero didn't even used the sword REMOTELY as Vergil or Dante, he used to fire off Blade Beams (which neither Dante or Vergil ever did with Yamato) and uses just like a normal Sword. Even the Spirit of his Original DEvil Trigger from DMC4 used it as a normal sword.

This makes me think that outside of the fact that it can open portals and is used for sealing and splitting power away, it has not much Power of it's own, rather it simply draws out the full potential of it's wielder.

Vergil was just the one who got the most out of the sword, since he wielded, trained and mastered the blade to perfection.
That is just my take on all of that though.

Top Bottom