• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Relatively unpopular opinions about any and everything

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups!
All the people saying that trilogy is a killjoy fest from beginning to end and devoid of humor are just a bunch of bullshitters. Those movies do have quite a few humorous scenes sprinkled in, and just because the jokes aren't as blatant, juvenile, and sometimes downright mood-ruining as those in the Marvel movies or some of the latest DCEU entries doesn't mean they're not there.

I don't think your opinion is that unpopular unless your Moviebob (the ultimate contranian), the honest trailer guys, or a blind mcu fanboy/girl. Even people my met who did not like TDK trilogy, the humor was not the problem for them. I get why some people aren't enamored with trilogy (the grounded, realistic take while taking out the more "silly" or fantastical elements); especially with so many superhero movies to contrast them with today, but regardless, the trilogy should not be hated for something that is not its fault. If you're going to blame anyone, it is Hollywood itself at the time.

Evangelion sucks and almost any show that followed aged just as bad.

I love the Big O Season 2. It wasn't just another monster of the week and actually had a neat plot twist. Too bad we won't get a season 3, but I don't need explanation for the series finale. It would just come off as anti-climatic and unfulfilling.

Aya Brea is a more engaging and better written character than either versions of Lara Croft.

Atreus is a better written child character than Ellie. With that said, I don't hate her, but I'm not that invested in her either.

I like Sephiroth, but he lead to too many game developers, manga, and anime creators make a whole bunch of clones or wannabes that got really tiring in the 2000s.

Reactions: Meg

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups!
Well, that's quite the hefty amount of people.

Not really. you're always going to have your idiotic blind fanboys or fangirls that's a given. You seem to forget that people like movie Bob, the honest trailer guys or channel awesome (who have been disbanded anyway) are vocal minority at best. the general consensus is that most people like The dark Knight trilogy. Now there are things that have not aged well oh, but the movies overall are good. that said I find it harder to watch Batman Begins every single time I pop it in. The pacing is his way too slow in the fight scenes are not that well done at all. I find myself using the skip button half the time.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
the general consensus is that most people like The dark Knight trilogy.

My post is not about liking or not liking the movies as a whole. It's purely about the single opinion that I've seen way too many people share, even those who do like the trilogy, according to which the films have no humor and are just dark and moody all the way through. Which I even struggle to consider an opinion to be honest, cause it's just factually wrong.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups!
It's purely about the single opinion that I've seen way too many people share, even those who do like the trilogy, according to which the films have no humor and are just dark and moody all the way through.

You have got to introduce me to these people, because this is new to me. Most people I met about the trilogy regardless of their opinion, only barely any of them said the films lacked humor. I am starting to think some of those people you're referring, either never watched the films (and don't want to like them) or have not watched them in ages and are not remembering a lot. I'll take your word for it, but some of these people are being contrarian for the sake of it.

Which I even struggle to consider an opinion to be honest, cause it's just factually wrong.
Agreed.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
"Let me get this straight. You think that your client, one of the wealthiest, most powerful men in the world, is secretly a vigilante who spends his nights beating criminals to a pulp with his bare hands. And your plan is to blackmail this person? ... Good luck."

Randomly run into this scene from The Dark Knight on YouTube and it got me thinking. All the people saying that trilogy is a killjoy fest from beginning to end and devoid of humor are just a bunch of bullshitters. Those movies do have quite a few humorous scenes sprinkled in, and just because the jokes aren't as blatant, juvenile, and sometimes downright mood-ruining as those in the Marvel movies or some of the latest DCEU entries doesn't mean they're not there.
It's mostly MCU crowd who say that though. Some are so conditioned to the formula that any comic book movie without an obvious comedic moment or punchline is considered a bad film.

Sparda's rejected son

For Edenoi!
Premium
Supporter 2014
Let's see:

Godzilla King of the Monsters (2019) is a more entertaining film than Shin Godzilla.

I think Trump is a great President because things should be proper, he wants that, I want that and I am not a fan of "progressive thoughts."

I liked the Movie Sonic design. It was still the blue blur, odd but him! He still had the "way past cool" attitude about him.

Taco Bell used to be good, now it's taste is odd and gum like. Such a fall...

Sparda's rejected son

For Edenoi!
Premium
Supporter 2014
What's 'proper' is objective.. What's proper for you could be a completely different proper for someone else. Also progressive thoughts are what this country was raised on.

Fair enough. Then what Trumps prompts makes sense to me. As for "progressive thoughts" I've always been a fan of the "status quo" approach. If it ain't broke don't fix it.
Things have a order and that order should be maintained. "Progressive Thought" gets in the way of that order for the "sake of change" rather then change actually being necessary. But I'll leave my thoughts at that.

Last edited:

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
Fair enough. Then what Trumps prompts makes sense to me. As for "progressive thoughts" I've always been a fan of the "status quo" approach. If it ain't broke don't fix it.
Things have a order and that order should be maintained. "Progressive Thought" gets in the way of that order for the "sake of change" rather then change actually being necessary. But I'll leave my thoughts at that.
I mean if we had always stayed with the status quo, segregation would still be a thing.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups!
Why Underworld (2003) got 4 more movies is beyond me. I found them all boring, aside from Rise of the Lycans. The Underworld series as a whole is a worse version of The Matrix and Blade. Costantine (the Keanu Reeves) was more intersting and entertaining by comparison.

Carlos

A powerful demon
Xen-Omni 2020
Why Underworld (2003) got 4 more movies is beyond me. I found them all boring, aside from Rise of the Lycans. The Underworld series as a whole is a worse version of The Matrix and Blade. Costantine (the Keanu Reeves) was more intersting and entertaining by comparison.
I thought the first Underworld was better than the other films. I just got lost after movie #3. I stopped caring. But it was cool at first, though. That's the point of the film(s), they want you to be roped in first to continue into the second or third, but the problem is that the plot got confusing and if you really want to pick at it, you'd find plotholes. Like, they acted like the main villian had a master plan all along. I'm like "Bitch, no." The story was more like "make up the story as the story goes along."

Constantine was eh. Needed a little more polishing not just from a writing standpoint, but also the production value standpoint.

IMHO, Blade series trumps all those. Matrix trumps all those, too. I understood Blade and the series as a whole, because they tried to make it simple for you to understand. Matrix on the other hand, you have one side of the world thinking "it's so confusing," and the other side understands completely. My cousins and I were in the "I understand" camp. My aunt didn't understand what was going on in Matrix Revolutions, and we tried to explain it to her. Failed.

Revolutions made complete sense if you watch the first 2 films with the intent of not just enjoying the films, but also intently understanding what everyone was saying. If you paid attention, and you watched it, you'd know that the Matrix is basically VR but you "plug" into the matrix to change the world before it affects the real world. After Matrix, the whole film franchise takes place in the Matrix itself, with some parts of the films taking place in the real world. My favorite film in the franchise is Reloaded because of not just the fight scenes, one of the scenes is etched in my mind. Chateau.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups!
Constantine was eh. Needed a little more polishing not just from a writing standpoint, but also the production value standpoint.
Constantine I always saw as okay. But compared to the Underworld movies, the in name only adaption of Hellblazer is better by comparison.

To clear some confusion, I do not like the matrix sequels. I do understand the themes and what they were going for, but I didn't like Reloaded & Revelations. Hell, I didn't even see the third movie till about a year after it came out. After all the Matrix clones or movies that copied The Matrix; all the bullet time and wire-fu was getting old by that point. Jet-Li's The One spoiled it for me. If it's any consolation, The Matrices (?) are far better than any Jason Bourne film or Jason Bourne clone that came out in the latter half of the 2000s and early 2010s

For me there's only the first Matrix movie and the Animatrix. It didn't help that the action sequences I was less invested in compared to the first movie. With that said, at least the Wachowskis tried. something that can't be said for most of the underworld movies.

Last edited:

Carlos

A powerful demon
Xen-Omni 2020
To clear some confusion, I do not like the matrix sequels. I do understand the themes and what they were going for, but I didn't like Reloaded & Revelations. Hell, I didn't even see the third movie till about a year after it came out. After all the Matrix clones or movies that copied The Matrix; all the bullet time and wire-fu was getting old by that point. Jet-Li's The One spoiled it for me. If it's any consolation, The Matrices (?) are far better than any Jason Bourne film or Jason Bourne clone that came out in the latter half of the 2000s in early 2010s
Jet Li's films are nice, but they are average at best, except films with his crazy stunts. My absolute favorite Martial Arts film now I think is a toss up between Van Damme's various films (any film before Double Team, really), and I think it was Ong Bak where this dude starts in the bottom of a tower that acts like a department store, but looks like a Chinese/Japanese bar.

However, I like the Jason Bourne films, because Matt Damon's acting was sublime. It's not the best Martial Arts film, and it really does not take itself seriously, but it seems that way, if that makes sense. The films wants to convey the seriousness of what's going on.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups!
I think it was Ong Bak where this dude starts in the bottom of a tower that acts like a department store, but looks like a Chinese/Japanese bar.

That scene you're describing is the Protector; not Ong Bak. It's great to see another Tony Jaa fan. I don't recommend the Protector 2, and Ong Bak 3 you will find disappointing.

However, I like the Jason Bourne films, because Matt Damon's acting was sublime. It's not the best Martial Arts film, and it really does not take itself seriously, but it seems that way, if that makes sense.

My problem with the Bourne films (more so 2-4) is that I hate shaky cam. 4 was just unnecessary and dismal. I consider 1 to be the best followed by 3,2, and 4. Legacy should have been its own movie. While this not the film series nor Greengrass's fault it lead to a huge, over saturation of films/TV shows/Quantam Break's live-action segments with ****ty quick cuts, worse shaky-cam, and most spy thrillers/standard action films in general, taking themselves to seriously at times to a fault. Bourne Id. had the most personality and a sense of humor, Bourne Suprem was the most serious (but the action was at its worse before 4 manage to outshine 2), Ultimatum manage to slide back in to a good balance in seriousness and humor while toning down shaky cam, and Jason Bourne was a lazy retread of all 3 films with a convoluted, stupid, retcon. The film should have been kept as a trilogy.

Jet Li's films are nice, but they are average at best, except films with his crazy stunts

Even most of Jet Li's average films I find better than the sh$t Hollywood puts out.

My favorite Van Damme films are Double Impact (the one that is basically Double Dragon) and Hard Target.

AgentRedgrave

Legendary Devil Hunter
I don't like The Matrix, never have

Not sure how unpopular this is, I think most people think either Wonder Woman or Shazam, but I think Aquaman's the DCEU's best movie, by far. Arthur Curry/Aquaman, least the way Jason Momoa played him, was a fun and likeable hero. I liked his banter with Mera. I think Ocean Master is not only the best villain of the DCEU, but the best villain of a DC movie, since Heath Ledger's Joker (I'd even go as far to say I thought he was almost) as good as Killmonger from Black Panther. The final battle, imo, matched, and even exceeded Infinity War's final battle (Endgame has the best one though)

So, as someone who's been a huge Batman fan since I was a kid, and hated Twilight with a passion. I will admit I was taken aback when I heard Robert Pattinson was cast as Batman (Though I took it better then Affleck's casting was announced, just FYI). But honestly, I'm gonna keep an open mind, and give Pattinson the benefit of the doubt. I had doubts about Affleck, but I liked him, and I had doubts about Chris Evans as Captain America and I thought he was awesome....

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups!
, I think most people think either Wonder Woman or Shazam, but I think Aquaman's the DCEU's best movie, by far. Arthur Curry/Aquaman, least the way Jason Momoa played him, was a fun and likeable hero. I liked his banter with Mera. I think Ocean Master is not only the best villain of the DCEU, but the best villain of a DC movie, since Heath Ledger's Joker (I'd even go as far to say I thought he was almost) as good as Killmonger from Black Panther. The final battle, imo, matched, and even exceeded Infinity War's final battle (Endgame has the best one though)

Most of the DCEU films are better than a majority of Marvel's phase 2 and some of their phase 1 films. I have not seen Shazam yet, but I know I will like it. In terms of rank Man of Steel and Aquaman are S, Wonder Woman is an A, Justice League is a C+, Batman V. Superman is a C, and Suicide Squad is a C, though barely. Hears hoping Birds of Prey will be a lot better.

So, as someone who's been a huge Batman fan since I was a kid, and hated Twilight with a passion. I will admit I was taken aback when I heard Robert Pattinson was cast as Batman (Though I took it better then Affleck's casting was announced, just FYI). But honestly, I'm gonna keep and open mind, and give Pattinson the benefit of the doubt. I had doubts about Affleck, but I liked him, and I had doubts about Chris Evans as Captain America and I thought he was awesome....

There is always this cycle of hate every time a new Batman, and Joker now too, is cast, because people are so used to the last guy that played them. Robert Pattinson has been casted in better things ever since finishing Twilight. Don't forget, a majority of the actors and staff hated working on Twilight and thought Stephenie Myer was insane and still do. I'm willing to give Robert a chance.

Last edited:

AgentRedgrave

Legendary Devil Hunter
Most of the DCEU films are better than a majority of Marvel's phase 2 and some of their phase 1 films. I have not seen Shazam yet, but I know I will like it. In terms of rank Man of Steel and Aquaman are S, Wonder Woman is an A, Batman V. Superman is a C, and Suicide Squad is a C, though barely. Hears hoping Birds of Prey will be a lot better.
For me Aquaman and Wonder Woman are both S, Shazam either a high B or low A, Man of Steel is a B, Justice League and Suicide Squad are C, and Batman v Superman is a D.
There is always this cycle of hate every time a new Batman, and Joker now too, is cast, because people are so used to the last guy that played them.
I mean I agree with this to an extent. But I haven't heard anyone bad mouth Joaquin Phoenix

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups!
I mean I agree with this to an extent. But I haven't heard anyone bad mouth Joaquin Phoenix

No, but there were "minor" concerns before the first Joker trailer hit. Nothing like the complaints when Heath Ledger and Jared Leto were first revealed.

Top Bottom