• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

A reference?

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
I just noticed something watching the cutscene where Vergil slaughters Beowulf... at the end of the cutscene, after he performs that Lunar Phase in the air, he lands in a pose that strongly resembles Power Rangers.
In your opinion, can it be a reference to the fact that Dan Southworth, the actor who plays Vergil, was also a Power Ranger (specifically, the Quantum Ranger in Power Rangers Time Force) back in the day?

Viper

Premium
I just noticed something watching the cutscene where Vergil slaughters Beowulf... at the end of the cutscene, after he performs that Lunar Phase in the air, he lands in a pose that strongly resembles Power Rangers.
In your opinion, can it be a reference to the fact that Dan Southworth, the actor who plays Vergil, was also a Power Ranger (specifically, the Quantum Ranger in Power Rangers Time Force) back in the day?

I'm not that into Power Rangers, so I can't really say if it's the same, but it's possible. Video games are full of references to what people working on them liked or has made them well-known.

AgentRedgrave

Legendary Devil Hunter
Huh, never thought about it. Was always thinking "Huh so Vergil plays with his new weapons too". It could be

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
He just lands in what looks like a typical fight stance. It doesn't look like the Quantum Morph Eric (Dan) does at all. It would be more of a reference if they brought his left hand in front of his face like the he does when he morphs. His morpher is like a wristband.

QUANTUM POWER!

Eh, Dan was only a ranger for Time Force and originally just a Silver Guardian. Time Force was ok. Not the best Ranger series out there. :meh:

Besides, Tommy ALWAYS comes out on top when we're talking Red Rangers. Besides being the White Tiger ranger and the Green ranger, he's also the only ranger to be red on two teams. He was the red Turbo and Zeo rangers!
Ranger_forms_by_TommyOliver5.jpg

Last edited:

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
No, I'm not saying that he does exactly like the Quantum Ranger, just that the position resembles Power Rangers in general: landing with one side facing the camera, only to hop and face the camera with the other side, all in slow motion. Just replace Beowulf's corpse behind him with an explosion and there you go. A classic. I remember the times when I did that playing with my cousins after watching Power Rangers LOL

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Still just looks more like they were going for just a typical kung fu like stance, considering the weapon Beowulf is, than intentionally paying homage to Power Rangers. You're reaching man.

It's not like all the rangers had a one specific stance or maneuver when they morphed. Considering all the different morphers, they're all pretty diverse and different. A very minor semantic by pure coincidence is all you see here in DMC 3.

If they really wanted to pay homage to Power Rangers, then I assume they would pay homage specifically to Dan's role as the Quantum Ranger because that is something you can directly pay homage to. Eric was the only Quantum Ranger, therefore he was the only one who ever morphed like that.

It's not a reference. Just Vergil getting all martial arty on us with his weapon he specifically uses to kick and punch people with.

Top Bottom